Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2668595

Subject: "Hi Hader" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79605 posts
Wed Jul-18-18 08:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Hi Hader"

https://thebiglead.com/2018/07/18/josh-hader-twitter-racist-homophobic/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DiW-2iLUYAAhXNt?format=jpg&name=small

internet never forgets

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Anne Arundel county hillbilly
Jul 18th 2018
Yeah can't get more Maryland hillbilly than that.
Jul 18th 2018
      damn i figured that was a rich area
Jul 18th 2018
           It mostly is, and even when it's not...
Jul 18th 2018
                Apt description.
Jul 18th 2018
                     We need a word for an intentional hillbilly
Jul 18th 2018
                          Country black folk here
Jul 30th 2018
its always weird to me that that stuff doesn't come up earlier
Jul 18th 2018
he'll be fine once hes traded to Boston
Jul 18th 2018
another guy who made insensitive tweets...
Jul 29th 2018
Trea Turner Too
Jul 31st 2018
      IDK, they have a point...
Jul 31st 2018
      facebook was the wild wild west for us back in HS
Jul 31st 2018
I am eternally grateful social media wasn't around when I was in school
Jul 31st 2018

Beezo
Charter member
27560 posts
Wed Jul-18-18 09:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Anne Arundel county hillbilly "
In response to Reply # 0

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

B.J.S.301
Member since Nov 30th 2005
7074 posts
Wed Jul-18-18 10:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Yeah can't get more Maryland hillbilly than that. "
In response to Reply # 1

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85075 posts
Wed Jul-18-18 10:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "damn i figured that was a rich area"
In response to Reply # 4

we do some work for the HS and they spend big bucks.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Wed Jul-18-18 10:34 AM

6. "It mostly is, and even when it's not..."
In response to Reply # 5
Wed Jul-18-18 10:36 AM by Walleye

... you can absolutely be more hillbilly in Maryland than in Anne Arundel county. In a tiny state, there are probably ten other counties where the term would be more apt. Pretty much the entire Eastern shore, plus the two or three in western Maryland, at least.

edit: if the above two posters are from Baltimore, that would explain a great deal. It's where greater Baltimore keeps a bunch of its more horrifying white residents.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

B.J.S.301
Member since Nov 30th 2005
7074 posts
Wed Jul-18-18 10:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Apt description. "
In response to Reply # 6

They do have money but act very much like they don't. Anne arundel and Howard County white folks suck the life outta you.

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Wed Jul-18-18 10:53 AM

8. "We need a word for an intentional hillbilly"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Jul-18-18 10:54 AM by Walleye

I grew up in Maryland, so I'd have agreed with your initial post ... until I moved to Tennessee for awhile. That's not quite the same thing as, say, people who have spent so much time cosplaying as rednecks that they actually became them. The ideal of a family in Anne Arundel county is a dad with strong opinions about his riding lawn mower who buys his son a Ford F-150 for graduation - which his son promptly decorates with a Gadsden Flag decal on the rear window. Or, if he's particularly edgy, a confederate flag.

Sort of like how every popular country song is just an elaborate secret handshake about to achieve white exurban authenticity.

Most (maybe not so much in Western Maryland) of the actually country parts of Maryland are distinguishable because they have actual country black people. Southern Maryland and the less touristy parts of the Eastern Shore, in particular.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 09:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Country black folk here"
In response to Reply # 8

I was the director of PR, Marketing and Community engagement for Washington County. You hit the county breakdown on the head.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Wed Jul-18-18 09:46 AM

2. "its always weird to me that that stuff doesn't come up earlier"
In response to Reply # 0

i'd have assumed ludnow would know about that shit and tell him to clean it up, or teams would do that as part of their diligence on a draft/trade.

houston_hardhead
Member since Jan 24th 2010
550 posts
Wed Jul-18-18 09:50 AM

3. "he'll be fine once hes traded to Boston"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------

So i'm smokin on this cactus, bangin Fat Patrick
hustla til i die baby grindin like a savage
pimp game sweet, breakin ankles and feet
cuz these hoes break they toes til they job complete

H-Town made L.A. paid

Dstl1
Charter member
56230 posts
Sun Jul-29-18 08:52 PM

9. "another guy who made insensitive tweets..."
In response to Reply # 0

when he was "young and stupid". But, hey...he's grown so much, guys.
Love how the tweets always get aired as the guy is in the midst of doing something good on the field.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24229334/sean-newcomb-atlanta-braves-regrets-offensive-tweets

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 12:11 AM

11. "Trea Turner Too"
In response to Reply # 9

Honestly, I'm probably more pissed at the plea coppage from some of the fans and sports media...most of them saying the same "we all did stupid stuff at that age" bs

Sigh

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/nationals/2018/07/29/nationals-trea-turner-racist-homophobic-tweets/861555002/

Washington Nationals shortstop Trea Turner is the next in what's becoming a long line of athletes answering for inappropriate social media posts that are coming to light years after they were shared.

In Turner's case, tweets from 2011 and 2012 that were racist, used homophobic slurs and insensitivity toward the developmentally disabled were unearthed just a few hours after Atlanta Braves left-handed pitcher Sean Newcomb watched the same storyline unfold.

In a statement released by the Nationals on Sunday night, Turner said he was "sincerely sorry" for the tweets.

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

Chelsea Janes

@chelsea_janes
Trea Turner issued a statement.

11:09 PM - Jul 29, 2018
79 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Turner, now 25, was 18 at the time of the tweets. A native of Florida, he attended North Carolina State before being drafted in the first round by the San Diego Padres in 2014.

Turner has not addressed the tweets, but Nationals general manger Mike Rizzo released a statement saying that Turner apologized to him and the organization, and that "he understands the comments - regardless of when they were posted - are inexcusable."

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

Mark Zuckerman

@MarkZuckerman
Mike Rizzo issues statement on Trea Turner ...

10:52 PM - Jul 29, 2018
28 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Turner is the third major league player to come under scrutiny for offensive remarks on social media in the past two weeks.

First came the Milwaukee Brewers' Josh Hader, who wasn't a household name until he gave up a home run in his first All-Star Game followed a little while later by an impromptu chat in front of the media - not to discuss his disastrous outing on the field, but to apologize for something he did off the field years ago.

Newcomb, whose tweets containing homophobic and racial slurs from 2011 and 2012 came to light as he missed a no-hitter by one strike, issued an apology after Sunday's game, saying "This is something that obviously can’t be happening. I feel bad about it. I don’t mean to offend anybody. I definitely regret it."

Both those players saw old tweets emerge after significant events on the field in front of national TV audiences.

That's where Turner is in a bit different circumstance. He is a bigger name in the sport - a shortstop for a team in the playoff hunt, and a candidate promoted by Major League Baseball for the "final vote" contest for the last All-Star Game roster slot for the National League. He was on the field Sunday in the Nationals' 5-0 loss to the Miami Marlins, but there was no precipitating on-field event that cast his name in the spotlight.

MLB did not suspend Hader, but it is requiring him to complete sensitivity training and participate in the league's diversity and inclusion initiatives. It is expected Newcomb's case will be handled similarly

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:20 AM

12. "IDK, they have a point..."
In response to Reply # 11
Tue Jul-31-18 09:21 AM by Nodima

I mean, in Turner's case specifically, he's making clear references to the "know how I know you're gay" scene from 40 Year Old Virgin and apparently directly quoting Terry Crews from White Chicks with the wheelchair line. If I were 17 and had a Twitter I'd probably be quoting offensive lines from my favorite comedies as well.

And I think it's also kind of silly to be expecting teenaged baseball players to be identity or race sensitive. We all know what the culture of baseball is, especially at the youth level. The best players especially are predominantly southern-born, throwing the ball around with their other white friends all day and crushing pussy all night dudes. You wish they were better people but you know they're likely not.

Personally I can't fully describe how useful (and painful) the On This Day / Memories feature on Facebook is for me in finding all the jokes I wish I hadn't made on social media regarding drugs, women and rap music when I was 16, and I wasn't a great athlete, just a guy with a crush on my next door neighbor who only ever hung out with his same five friends from middle school and never went to parties. I can only imagine the stuff I would've tried out on social media if I felt like I had an audience.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85075 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:47 AM

13. "facebook was the wild wild west for us back in HS"
In response to Reply # 11

lord knows if i had twitter back then. just the stuff from when i was in college was wild enough.
just lots of cringeworthy regrettable stuff. so i see why folks are copping pleas over it.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6379 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:55 AM

14. "I am eternally grateful social media wasn't around when I was in school"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jul-31-18 09:58 AM by Beamer6178

And even my craziest days were fairly pedestrian.....
I didn't even get a cell phone till 2000, my first year in law school, and didn't start text messaging until 2003-2004 I think, by which time, I was dating my wife and missed all THAT shit.

I have verbally uttered some of the most vitrolic, offensive, and insensitive things in the company of friends without ever intending or hoping for those things to manifest.

However, as a ubiquitous member of the community and active in PTAs on different levels and possibly a future school board member, I'm glad to not have to explain that shit.

Like even my worst Facebook stuff is when the storm knocked off my TV during the NBA finals one year and I wrote a bunch of curse words. Nothing lewd, even though at times I may comment on other's posts with subtle humor of the adult variety, but still little to no cursing. I had kind of already peeped the importance of watching one's online profile, but not being in the dating game when social media and handheld devices paired up definitely avoided me some headaches.

These revelations are definitely NOT A GOOD LOOK for them, but unless their present day actions align with their words, I don't think they need to be crucified.

If it hasn't been done so already, social media best practices need to be incorporated into professional athlete orientation programs.

#deletedeletedelete

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2668595 Previous topic | Next topic