Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2667728

Subject: "Cristiano Ronaldo to Juventus. £105m transfer. £30m/year salary" Previous topic | Next topic
BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
76567 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 10:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Cristiano Ronaldo to Juventus. £105m transfer. £30m/year salary"
Tue Jul-10-18 10:39 AM by BrooklynWHAT

normally i'd post this in the transfer megathread but as it involves the GOAT it deserves it's own thread.

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1016698065485467648

now begins the quest to win a CL and league title for a THIRD team. has anyone done that?

RM Official statement (translated)
https://www.realmadrid.com/noticias/2018/07/comunicado-oficial-cristiano-ronaldo?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=organico?vauto=1

Real Madrid CF communicates that, in response to the will and request expressed by the player Cristiano Ronaldo, he has agreed to transfer to Juventus FC.

Today, Real Madrid wants to express its gratitude to a player who has proved to be the best in the world and who has marked one of the brightest times in the history of our club and world football.

Beyond the conquered titles, the trophies achieved and the triumphs achieved in the playing fields during these 9 years, Cristiano Ronaldo has been an example of dedication, work, responsibility, talent and improvement.

He has also become the top scorer in the history of Real Madrid with 451 goals in 438 games. In total 16 titles, including 4 European Cups, 3 of them consecutive and 4 in the last 5 seasons. On an individual basis, with the Real Madrid jersey he has won 4 Gold Balls, 2 The Best, and 3 Gold Boots, among many other awards.

For Real Madrid Cristiano Ronaldo will always be one of his great symbols and a unique reference for the next generations.

Real Madrid will always be your home.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
it does?
Jul 10th 2018
33 year old goat on a 4 year contract...pass
Jul 10th 2018
same shit people said 2 or 3 years ago...yet...
Jul 10th 2018
30 is different than 33, which is way different than 37. Trust.
Jul 10th 2018
Year 4 will suck and they will lose big on the transfer fee
Jul 11th 2018
      juve are historically cautious and financially prudent for a "big" club
Jul 11th 2018
      Juve also spent 90 mil euro on Higuain two years ago
Jul 11th 2018
           financially it didnt hurt them though
Jul 11th 2018
           by that definition of prudent, damn near every team is prudent
Jul 11th 2018
           ... and continued their stranglehold on Serie A.
Jul 11th 2018
                hindsight is 20/20
Jul 11th 2018
                     That was always just EPL/Barca/Madrid myopia, man
Jul 12th 2018
                          show, don't tell
Jul 12th 2018
                               I just don't see the imprudence. Didn't then, certainly don't now.
Jul 12th 2018
                                    i guess i should have focused on the claim of "cautious"
Jul 12th 2018
      This is Juve pushing all in on the CL.
Jul 11th 2018
      LOL i love when fans don't understand contracts or overpaying
Jul 12th 2018
For most players sure, but Cristiano is a different level
Jul 10th 2018
really, really, really, really glad we signed Harry before the World Cup
Jul 10th 2018
yep that's smart business. Uncle Flo is about to go HAM in the market
Jul 10th 2018
who are their other likely targets besides neymar?
Jul 10th 2018
      mbappe, hazard. prolly both to be honest
Jul 10th 2018
      Hazard, Kane, Milinkovic-Savic
Jul 10th 2018
           they'll have to pay over 200 million for Harry
Jul 10th 2018
                New stadium to pay for, too
Jul 10th 2018
                     No doubt. I just think it won’t be this window.
Jul 10th 2018
Y'all are getting Super Jack from us just as he matures too
Jul 12th 2018
Yes, it's been done. Seedorf won the CL with 3 different teams
Jul 10th 2018
lol. cr7 fans stay cysing shit
Jul 10th 2018
asking a question is a cyse now. got it.
Jul 10th 2018
jesus. messi stans are fucking miserable.
Jul 10th 2018
it aint like its a widely accomplished feat
Jul 10th 2018
      no, but someone has done it. And Seedorf is a great
Jul 10th 2018
four titles three teams, right, and yeah i think league titles, too
Jul 10th 2018
Seedorf? CL titles with three different teams, league title too I think
Jul 10th 2018

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
7159 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 10:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "it does?"
In response to Reply # 0

> as it
>involves the GOAT it deserves it's own thread.

also, yawn

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets
===
"Si la meuf est bien physiquement, je ne refuserai pas grand chose"

B9
Charter member
42881 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 10:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "33 year old goat on a 4 year contract...pass"
In response to Reply # 0

Good on him to land in the one elite league where his diminishing pace won't matter much, but that contract is about 2 years too long.

PROMO
Charter member
24537 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 10:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "same shit people said 2 or 3 years ago...yet..."
In response to Reply # 2

yeah.

STAND OUT HAND OUTS: http://basquiatwhenipaint.tumblr.com

TWEET ME: @PROMO206

B9
Charter member
42881 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 10:50 AM

4. "30 is different than 33, which is way different than 37. Trust. "
In response to Reply # 3

Not saying he's done, but this is basically an elite player's version of going to China.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
69998 posts
Wed Jul-11-18 02:53 AM

22. "Year 4 will suck and they will lose big on the transfer fee"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed Jul-11-18 02:54 AM by ConcreteCharlie

Surely this is not some foolish decision, they know they can profit from this and perhaps substantially if he delivers the champions league success they seek. But 390 million is a huge investment and time remains undefeated. Probably the last year will be a waste. I think Madrid got every cent of their transfer fee back. Juventus will be lucky to get 40 cents on the dollar, really lucky

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

BrooklynWHAT
76567 posts
Wed Jul-11-18 08:46 AM

23. "juve are historically cautious and financially prudent for a "big" club"
In response to Reply # 22

they would not have done this move w/o crunching the numbers 10 times over to make sure they dont lose here

thejerseytornado
Member since Dec 24th 2005
25954 posts
Wed Jul-11-18 09:13 AM

24. "Juve also spent 90 mil euro on Higuain two years ago"
In response to Reply # 23

financially prudent, except when they aren't.
-----------
you think we playing chess, but i'm playing mad-making. Basaglia

BrooklynWHAT
76567 posts
Wed Jul-11-18 09:19 AM

25. "financially it didnt hurt them though"
In response to Reply # 24

otherwise they wouldnt be in a position to splash even bigger on CR7

thejerseytornado
25954 posts
Wed Jul-11-18 09:39 AM

26. "by that definition of prudent, damn near every team is prudent"
In response to Reply # 25

-----------

khn
Member since Jan 20th 2015
197 posts
Wed Jul-11-18 12:59 PM

27. "... and continued their stranglehold on Serie A."
In response to Reply # 24

Higuain is obviously no great shakes for Argentina but has been an absolute monster in calcio ever since Napoli brought him over from Real Madrid.

That was an amazing transfer for Juve. And bullshit for Serie A overall, since swooping on him and Pjanic in the same summer handicapped their two immediate rivals for the crown and thereby consolidated their power even further.

So, no, it was a tremendous piece of business and one of the reasons why they're in a position to do things like this right now.

thejerseytornado
25954 posts
Wed Jul-11-18 01:56 PM

29. "hindsight is 20/20"
In response to Reply # 27

when he was signed for 90, no one said "oh, that's a good price for Higuain." No one.

at the time, it was the 3rd highest fee for a player EVER. the most EVER for a South American. most ever for an italian squad .it was astonishing. And then the market hyperinflated and it doesn't look as insane as it did at the time.

here's pretty much the only comment on it on this board "Higuain gone for 90mil? yawn (and ridiculous)" from benny. the guardian called it "Crazy transfer fee of Gonzalo Higuaín leads us into theatre of the absurd"

-----------

khn
197 posts
Thu Jul-12-18 11:35 AM

31. "That was always just EPL/Barca/Madrid myopia, man"
In response to Reply # 29
Thu Jul-12-18 11:45 AM by khn

Higuain was in his absolute prime and was clearly the best striker in Serie A at the time of that transfer. And he was the best player on Juve's direct competition for the league... a team that really didn't have any impetus to sell him, aside from wanting Scrooge McDuck $$$. I literally can't think of any sort of situation where a team doesn't pay top dollar for getting arguably the best player in the league, in his prime, AND striking a would-be (Napoli, per usual, spent that loot beautifully) critical blow to your direct rivals to the throne. And in those terms, 90m feels close to a bargain.

But a lot of people don't really follow Serie A.

*EDIT* - I guess, in TL;DR terms, maybe the best place to pull anecdotal reactions from to gauge the impact that transfer had would be Calcio-facing publications/voices. I'm sure there you could find people who were hating, but the majority of people who follow Serie A knew what that deal meant at the time it happened, and things have played out rather predictably since.

thejerseytornado
25954 posts
Thu Jul-12-18 11:50 AM

33. "show, don't tell"
In response to Reply # 31

where's the calcio facing pub saying "good, reasonable price" versus "whoa! never seen that before!"

the claim was juventus is conservative and prudent and two years ago, they made the biggest transfer *ever* for their league and for Higuain. it may have been a good transfer and, as future transfers show, not that expensive at all--but they broke the bank at the time. it wasn't conservative.

fwiw, transfermarkt had him valued at 65 mil at the time. i admit i could be wrong and that it was a conservative move, but i don't think that's the case.
-----------

khn
197 posts
Thu Jul-12-18 01:46 PM

34. "I just don't see the imprudence. Didn't then, certainly don't now."
In response to Reply # 33

It's easy to look at the number out of context a few years later and say that was some Florentino-level profligacy. I disagree and, to BKWhat's point, absolutely falls in line with Juve being ruthlessly effective at getting good value out of their business as opposed to irresponsibly splashing cash around. That wasn't simply buying Higuain, a top 3 Serie A player of the decade, but *also* a move to decisively bury a Napoli side that had been nipping at their heels.

As far as the citing of sources, I don't feel like either of us is trying to get particularly academic here, so here's a google of "gonzalo higuain juventus transfer reaction"

https://deadspin.com/juventuss-ungodly-fee-for-gonzalo-higuain-is-well-worth-1784341771

https://www.eurosport.com/football/serie-a/2015-2016/gonzalo-higuain-s-78m-juventus-move-its-place-in-history-and-what-it-means-for-football_sto5699162/story.shtml

thejerseytornado
25954 posts
Thu Jul-12-18 02:25 PM

35. "i guess i should have focused on the claim of "cautious""
In response to Reply # 34

it was a successful move. Future money numbers shows it wasn't an overly expensive move.

it wasn't a cautious move. nor is this cr7 move. we'll see if it works half as well.

-----------

khn
197 posts
Wed Jul-11-18 01:02 PM

28. "This is Juve pushing all in on the CL."

Sad as it is to say they could probably reel off another 3 Serie A titles with the squad they currently have, sans CR7.

There is nothing left for this team to accomplish other than the CL. They're just paying top dollar to do so.

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
19771 posts
Thu Jul-12-18 10:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
30. "LOL i love when fans don't understand contracts or overpaying"

You pay for the good years knowing most likely you might get the players down years.....thats always the case. If it wasn't a gamble on the teams side then the deal would be longer and for more money LOL

It's like fans of any sport think that contracts should always be team friendly...wtf is wrong with you.

----------

IG @h_n_z

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
40840 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 03:19 PM

17. "For most players sure, but Cristiano is a different level"
In response to Reply # 2

His commitment and dedication is paying ultimate dividends now. Similar to Lebron

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

bshelly
Charter member
70868 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 11:20 AM

5. "really, really, really, really glad we signed Harry before the World Cup"
In response to Reply # 0

it makes me hopeful we can hold off Real, at least for a year or so.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

BrooklynWHAT
76567 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 11:25 AM

6. "yep that's smart business. Uncle Flo is about to go HAM in the market"
In response to Reply # 5

bshelly
Charter member
70868 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 11:27 AM

7. "who are their other likely targets besides neymar?"
In response to Reply # 6

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

dillinjah
Charter member
7229 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 11:30 AM

8. "mbappe, hazard. prolly both to be honest"
In response to Reply # 7

B9
Charter member
42881 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 11:34 AM

9. "Hazard, Kane, Milinkovic-Savic "
In response to Reply # 7

Mbappe's potential price would be impossible to trigger, even for them. Hazard would be expensive but affordable.

bshelly
Charter member
70868 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 11:38 AM

10. "they'll have to pay over 200 million for Harry"
In response to Reply # 9

new contract + new stadium = it's going to have to be a truly obscene number to get it done before the august window closes, absent harry getting extraordinarily adamant. Winter's a possibility, but it's next summer where I go back into ultra worry.

----
bshelly

B9
Charter member
42881 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 11:59 AM

11. "New stadium to pay for, too"
In response to Reply # 10

Everyone has a price.

bshelly
Charter member
70868 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 04:41 PM

18. "No doubt. I just think it won’t be this window."
In response to Reply # 11

----
bshelly

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
17319 posts
Thu Jul-12-18 11:38 AM

32. "Y'all are getting Super Jack from us just as he matures too"
In response to Reply # 5

because Dr. Tony's plan for buying Villa was :

1) Get promoted immediately
2) ???????
3) Profit

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

Hitokiri
Charter member
19928 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 12:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Yes, it's been done. Seedorf won the CL with 3 different teams"
In response to Reply # 0

--
"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

"There is only one god and his name is death. And there is only one thing we say to death: not today."

thejerseytornado
25954 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 12:22 PM

13. "lol. cr7 fans stay cysing shit"
In response to Reply # 12

-----------

BrooklynWHAT
76567 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 01:00 PM

16. "asking a question is a cyse now. got it."
In response to Reply # 13

PROMO
Charter member
24537 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 05:13 PM

19. "jesus. messi stans are fucking miserable. "

can't even ask a question.

on a different note, i miss Seedorf.

STAND OUT HAND OUTS: http://basquiatwhenipaint.tumblr.com

TWEET ME: @PROMO206

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
31568 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 06:32 PM

20. "it aint like its a widely accomplished feat"

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

thejerseytornado
25954 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 07:43 PM

21. "no, but someone has done it. And Seedorf is a great"
In response to Reply # 20

*shrug*

-----------

ConcreteCharlie
69998 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 12:45 PM

15. "four titles three teams, right, and yeah i think league titles, too"
In response to Reply # 12

ajax, madrid, milan

ConcreteCharlie
69998 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 12:43 PM

14. "Seedorf? CL titles with three different teams, league title too I think"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2667728 Previous topic | Next topic