Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2665403

Subject: ""Coach K LIED!"(c)Wendell Carter's parents..." Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 09:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""Coach K LIED!"(c)Wendell Carter's parents..."

Are Wendell Carter's parents justified to feel misled by Coach K's recruiting pitch?

https://sports.yahoo.com/wendell-carters-parents-mostly-misfired-criticism-coach-k-235113665.html

Here’s an observation that won’t please the legions of Duke haters who react with glee anytime something sullies Mike Krzyzewski’s all-too-pristine image.

Some of the jabs that Wendell Carter’s parents threw at the Duke coach this week don’t hold up especially well under close scrutiny.

In an SI.com article published Monday, Carter’s outspoken mother took a thinly veiled shot at the way Duke used her son while criticizing the NCAA’s system of amateurism for treating players “like a piece of property.”

“In college, you have no voice,” Kylia Carter said. “It’s a system set up that they drop you in and tell you what to do—you be a rebounder, shot-blocker, you take all the shots, nobody else can shoot. My child never got to show his full set of skills. He never got to do that.”

The Carters went even harder at Duke in a story published Tuesday by NBC Sports Chicago. They claimed to have felt misled after the Duke staff allegedly told Carter he would be the team’s primary big man while recruiting him and then later added heralded forward Marvin Bagley III and instead made him their frontcourt centerpiece.

“My initial reaction, I was pissed,” Kylia Carter said. “And it wasn’t pissed because Marvin was coming. To be honest, I felt like that was information that was kept from us. It felt (shady); it felt like my baby was going to get kicked to the curb. I felt like all of that.”

Said Wendell’s father, Wendell Sr. “I was concerned because I felt like we were lied to. ‘Oh, Wendell’s gonna be the man’ and then the rug was pulled from under us.”

If Kylia and Wendell Sr. wanted a warning from Krzyzewski that Bagley was coming before their son chose Duke, then they were seeking the impossible. Carter signed a letter of intent in Nov. 2016, roughly nine months before Bagley announced he was not only committing to Duke but also graduating high school a year early and reclassifying to join the Blue Devils’ 2017 recruiting class. Krzyzewski is a supremely gifted coach, but not even he can predict the future.

If the Carters wanted Duke to pass on Bagley because they had already signed Wendell, then they were being naive. You’re talking about a surefire lottery pick who had every prominent college coach in the country flocking to his games on the AAU circuit since he was in ninth grade. There’s no coach in America who would decline interest from a player with Bagley’s talent.

The only legitimate criticism the Carters could have of Duke is not keeping them in the loop about the possibility that Bagley could play alongside Wendell.

There has been talk of Bagley potentially reclassifying since early 2016, but Bagley’s dad repeatedly denied that it would happen. Marvin Bagley II told reporters for months that he doubted it would be possible for his son to do enough coursework to satisfy NCAA minimum eligibility standards in time for the start of the 2017-18 school year.

When did Duke first feel confident that it would not only land Bagley but also get him a year earlier than anticipated? And how open was Krzyzewski with Carter about the potential for his role to change if that happened? That’s not entirely clear. A Duke spokesman declined comment to Yahoo Sports on Wednesday and Carter’s AAU coach did not respond to a message seeking further clarity.

What is clear is that Bagley’s presence at Duke did little to damage Carter’s NBA stock or prevent him from showcasing his talents.

The Chicago Bulls selected Carter seventh overall last week after he averaged 13.5 points and 9.1 rebounds for a Duke team that finished the season No. 5 in the AP poll and was one shot away from reaching the Final Four. Not only did Carter draw praise for his defensive prowess in the middle of Duke’s 2-3 zone, the 6-foot-10 forward also had the freedom on offense to hoist threes, to post up opposing defenders and to run pick-and-rolls.

The four February games that Bagley missed due to injury provide the strongest evidence of how playing alongside another heralded big man affected Carter’s production. Without Bagley on the floor, Carter attempted 11.8 shots per game and averaged 16.3 points on 46.8 percent shooting. Carter took 8.5 shots per game in Duke’s 14 other ACC contests and averaged 13.6 points on 58 percent shooting.

Was there a difference for Carter going from sidekick to centerpiece? To some extent. Is it that big a deal? Not really.

The reality is that practicing every day against Bagley probably did Carter more good than playing alongside him did harm, something that he has frequently acknowledged. When asked about Bagley in the SI.com story, Carter said, “That’s my boy” and noted that the future No. 2 overall NBA draft pick inspired him every day to work even harder.

Carter also took the time to respond on Twitter when ESPN analyst Dick Vitale accused his family of jealousy toward Bagley.

Dick Vitale

@DickieV
26 Jun
Replying to @kteate01 and 5 others
Some just feel entitled. I totally agree with you! Kathy it sounds to me the Carter’s were jealous of @MB3FIVE

Wendell Carter Jr

@wendellcarter34
i don’t usually respond to things like this but mr. vitale ... you are wrong. all love ! no jealousy and marvin and his family knows that. why are you trying to tear us down ?

10:59 PM - Jun 26, 2018
56 people are talking about this

Naturally, it’s the youngest Carter who emerges looking best from this spat. The situation at Duke was different than what he expected when he signed, but he adapted to it, he sacrificed willingly and he thrived, affirming or even boosting his stock among NBA scouts.

In other words, playing alongside Bagley didn’t diminish Carter’s value. In the end it may have even helped him.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
nope.
Jun 28th 2018
College coaches don't really care about you
Jun 28th 2018
pay them
Jun 28th 2018
^^^ a good reply in any NCAA post
Jun 28th 2018
      expounded: K didn't do anything that wasn't true to the game
Jun 28th 2018
           I agree-- covered much of this in my post below.
Jun 28th 2018
smh, go somewhere else then
Jun 28th 2018
Duke and Kentucky get too many one and done stars
Jun 28th 2018
This has nothing to do with Kentucky. This is a Duke issue.
Jun 28th 2018
But if K said "you're gonna be the man" and then design the whole O
Jun 28th 2018
      So essentially Coach Cal's pitch?
Jun 28th 2018
      lol
Jun 28th 2018
           Stop Stanning Frank lol
Jun 28th 2018
                ^^is very obviously jealous unc didn't get a chance to screw over wendel...
Jun 28th 2018
                Stop making sense. Frank gonna fight you tooth & nail on this.
Jun 28th 2018
                *rolls eyes*
Jun 28th 2018
                     Unroll your eyes lol
Jun 29th 2018
Wendell already debunked this on Twitter, saying it’s not true.
Jun 28th 2018
LMAO...i knew you was gon be in here fighting. LMAO!!!
Jun 28th 2018
      nas does know all about falling off, though
Jun 28th 2018
      ben simmons shot don't know about falling tho.
Jun 28th 2018
      *bangs head against table* I know, I know, I know.
Jun 28th 2018
recruiters and scouts tell you what you want to hear
Jun 28th 2018
One constant about recruiting is....
Jun 28th 2018
If she don’t sit her ass down somewhere.
Jun 28th 2018
Mrs. Carter’s tweet this morning:
Jun 29th 2018
PR spin it doesn't take back what she initially said lol
Jun 29th 2018

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85051 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 09:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "nope."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 09:27 AM

2. "College coaches don't really care about you"
In response to Reply # 0

Mike Krzyzewski is a college coach.

No reason this complaint needs to be specific to one individual, but it's not nothing when a lot of people like to pretend he's something more than a basketball coach.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 09:28 AM

3. "pay them"
In response to Reply # 0

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86665 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 10:17 AM

8. "^^^ a good reply in any NCAA post"
In response to Reply # 3

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 10:38 AM

10. "expounded: K didn't do anything that wasn't true to the game"
In response to Reply # 8

K acted rationally and with precedent. given the system the ncaa forces kids into, that's a fair ball.

if people think carter got dicked around--and he did, just like cal and every other coach did, does, and will do once a kid is locked into a scholarship--they need to acknowledge the problem is the system.

now, if the kids were getting paid, it's just a case of a bad boss. a bad boss sucks, but it's not immoral of expolitive.

and i'm tremendously disappointed with myself that i broke my string of one sentence paragraphs.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Frank Longo
86665 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 12:01 PM

18. "I agree-- covered much of this in my post below."
In response to Reply # 10

Until something changes in the NCAA and/or NBA in terms of how players are used, this is always a risk and always has been. Because there ain't a coach on Earth that would've turned down Marvin Bagley.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18619 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 09:54 AM

4. "smh, go somewhere else then"
In response to Reply # 0

There were probably about 340 programs he could’ve been the “go to guy” at if that’s the number 1 priority.

If you go to Duke, you should already know the deal as far as how they recruit. If you haven’t paid attention, that’s your fault for being a dumbass.

The implication that they would’ve been happy if his team was worse but he got to shoot more, is sad and a bad look.

And SMH at moms talking about running up on Coach K at a Bulls game as if that’s some big threat to be feared.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 09:57 AM

5. "Duke and Kentucky get too many one and done stars"
In response to Reply # 0

And there's not automatically going to be room for you.

Gift and the curse for those programs. You gotta know ahead of time there's a decent chance you won't be able to be THE guy (or possibly A guy) if you go there.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 10:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "This has nothing to do with Kentucky. This is a Duke issue."
In response to Reply # 5

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 11:18 AM

13. "But if K said "you're gonna be the man" and then design the whole O"
In response to Reply # 5

around Marv...that's a bit different.

In other words, don't make promises you can't keep. Give vague answers:

Wendell: Will the offense be focused on me coach?

Coach: Well Wendell, we are a blue blood program and tend to get lots of talent. You will be a featured player in our offense but ultimately, it depends on how the recruiting turns out. We do value your skillset and have lots of plans to let you explore every avenue of your game to ultimately make you better and contribute to winning. But I couldn't say, for certain, any recruit could be the primary offensive piece before the class recruitment is finalized.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 11:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "So essentially Coach Cal's pitch? "
In response to Reply # 13

Frank Longo
86665 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 11:59 AM

16. "lol"
In response to Reply # 13
Thu Jun-28-18 12:02 PM by Frank Longo

I realize there's no point in fighting or trying to use facts in this post, but K landed Wendell before they knew Bagley was reclassifying-- he wasn't even an *option* at that point. Carter was the top ranked big in the class for us. If Bagley told UNC he wanted in, Roy would've tossed Luke Maye in the bushes so hard that he'd be shitting thorns for a month.

And Wendell still put up terrific numbers, still was drafted Top 7 (not sure he really goes much higher even with higher total numbers), and, as pointed out elsewhere, has disputed this posted report entirely. So the whole conversation is silly.

Besides, it's not like Roy went into Theo Pinson's home and said, "I know you're a Top 15 player in your class and you have aspirations of being an early entry NBA player, but just so you know, if you play at UNC, there's still a distinct possibility you have to stay four years and you'll still go undrafted."

auragin_boi
20939 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 12:40 PM

20. "Stop Stanning Frank lol"
In response to Reply # 16
Thu Jun-28-18 12:41 PM by auragin_boi

Some of that article was said and was true. Like you said, K had a pitch BEFORE Marv was committed. If K didn't do damage control when things changed, that's on him.

The family felt a way about it. The only thing Wendell said was, him mom didn't say she was coming for K. But they did give that interview and some of those tidbits came from it.

And it was honest. They may have felt lied to, even if there as no animosity about it. He was 18/19 and trying to go pro, his fam had a pro dream for him and Duke was supposed to highlight that. No Marv and he is literally the best player on that team last season.

No need to be defensive, sh*t happens and both sides to this make sense. I'm just saying, given these types of situations, K can't go so hard with the promises.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 12:46 PM

21. "^^is very obviously jealous unc didn't get a chance to screw over wendel..."
In response to Reply # 20

come on, fam.

----
bshelly

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 02:31 PM

22. "Stop making sense. Frank gonna fight you tooth & nail on this."

Frank Longo
86665 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 04:31 PM

24. "*rolls eyes*"
Thu Jun-28-18 04:34 PM by Frank Longo

>Like you said, K
>had a pitch BEFORE Marv was committed. If K didn't do damage
>control when things changed, that's on him.

And, since Wendell disputes the article, we don't know if that's true.

>The family felt a way about it. The only thing Wendell said
>was, him mom didn't say she was coming for K.

Actually he disputed this Dickie V comment: "sounds like ⁦@wendellcarter34⁩ ‘s parents r envious of the fame of ⁦@MB3FIVE⁩/they blame Coach K"

with this: "the reporter clearly wanted more people to view the article because that is not what she said AT ALL"

So you either didn't read the thread or are being intentionally misleading.

>And it was honest.

Or it wasn't what she said at all.

> He was 18/19 and trying to go pro,
>his fam had a pro dream for him and Duke was supposed to
>highlight that. No Marv and he is literally the best player
>on that team last season.

Instead, he was the second best player, the seventh overall pick, one missed runner away from a Final Four, and en route to a Duke University degree, which he's expressed interest in completing. Wendell still has love for Duke, and it's very easy to see why, and since his mother's animosity within this report is under fire from the family, forgive me for taking Wendell's statement at face value.

Again, not to turn this back to UNC, but if Theo Pinson's parents shit on Roy for not getting him to the pros earlier, and Theo comes out and says, "That isn't what my parents said," I'm pretty confident you'd believe Theo. It's just agendas. I get it. But one should at least acknowledge the possibility that the report is at best intentionally misleading and at worst a fabrication.

>No need to be defensive, sh*t happens and both sides to this
>make sense. I'm just saying, given these types of situations,
>K can't go so hard with the promises.

I agree both sides make sense, but you can say that both sides make sense while also acknowledging that, since facts are being disputed, we don't really know what was said. And considering Mrs. Carter wanted Wendell to return to school as recently as two months ago, it's hard to paint a picture of her as firmly anti-Duke/anti-K while remaining credible.

But y'all are going to have your fun. I don't know why I bother.

auragin_boi
20939 posts
Fri Jun-29-18 09:50 AM

25. "Unroll your eyes lol"
In response to Reply # 24

You are misconstruing my message. The family have that interview. The interviewer likely took liberties with the message. Mom might not have said, K lied and likely didn't say she's going to come for him when she sees him (none of that makes sense to do, since her son is now in the pros). BUT do I believe there was a question about how the whole process went and they expressed some of this (frustration with being told one thing but it not happening... Notice Wendell didn't say anything HE was quoted as saying was untrue), based on convos they had with K.

My point stands that K probably shouldn't go so hard with the promises knowing it could change or at least do damage control if it does.

>>Like you said, K
>>had a pitch BEFORE Marv was committed. If K didn't do
>damage
>>control when things changed, that's on him.
>
>And, since Wendell disputes the article, we don't know if
>that's true.
>
>>The family felt a way about it. The only thing Wendell said
>>was, him mom didn't say she was coming for K.
>
>Actually he disputed this Dickie V comment: "sounds like
>⁦@wendellcarter34⁩ ‘s parents r envious of the fame of
>⁦@MB3FIVE⁩/they blame Coach K"
>
>with this: "the reporter clearly wanted more people to view
>the article because that is not what she said AT ALL"
>
>So you either didn't read the thread or are being
>intentionally misleading.
>
>>And it was honest.
>
>Or it wasn't what she said at all.
>
>> He was 18/19 and trying to go pro,
>>his fam had a pro dream for him and Duke was supposed to
>>highlight that. No Marv and he is literally the best player
>>on that team last season.
>
>Instead, he was the second best player, the seventh overall
>pick, one missed runner away from a Final Four, and en route
>to a Duke University degree, which he's expressed interest in
>completing. Wendell still has love for Duke, and it's very
>easy to see why, and since his mother's animosity within this
>report is under fire from the family, forgive me for taking
>Wendell's statement at face value.
>
>Again, not to turn this back to UNC, but if Theo Pinson's
>parents shit on Roy for not getting him to the pros earlier,
>and Theo comes out and says, "That isn't what my parents
>said," I'm pretty confident you'd believe Theo. It's just
>agendas. I get it. But one should at least acknowledge the
>possibility that the report is at best intentionally
>misleading and at worst a fabrication.
>
>>No need to be defensive, sh*t happens and both sides to this
>>make sense. I'm just saying, given these types of
>situations,
>>K can't go so hard with the promises.
>
>I agree both sides make sense, but you can say that both sides
>make sense while also acknowledging that, since facts are
>being disputed, we don't really know what was said. And
>considering Mrs. Carter wanted Wendell to return to school as
>recently as two months ago, it's hard to paint a picture of
>her as firmly anti-Duke/anti-K while remaining credible.
>
>But y'all are going to have your fun. I don't know why I
>bother.

Frank Longo
86665 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 10:13 AM

6. "Wendell already debunked this on Twitter, saying it’s not true."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-28-18 10:16 AM by Frank Longo

It was literally in Wendell’s next tweet to the one they cited. He said he was there for the interview and those quotes aren’t what his mom said at all.

Weird that they wouldn’t include that next tweet— but then they wouldn’t really have an article to write, so I guess it’s not that weird.

Not that I’d even have been too mad if it was true. The Carters are looking out for their kid first and foremost, whereas K is doing what he thinks is best for the team and the program. There’s not a coach in the country that wouldn’t have added Bagley, and there’s not a big man parent in the country that wouldn’t have been bummed to see a star who will obviously be featured who may diminish their kid’s statistics and/or role. It’s the reality of the sport, sadly, and it’s yet another reason why OAD needs to be eliminated post-haste.

But again, Carter’s disputing his mom ever said these things. So non-story here.

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 10:28 AM

9. "LMAO...i knew you was gon be in here fighting. LMAO!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

don't you see how little they care of the truth? let them party.

i stopped tryna end an OKP cook party after they made a thread on the lesson when they made a multi-plat thread about some dude who wasn't nas falling off the stage.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 10:43 AM

12. "nas does know all about falling off, though"
In response to Reply # 9

----
bshelly

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 03:18 PM

23. "ben simmons shot don't know about falling tho. "
In response to Reply # 12

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Frank Longo
86665 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 12:00 PM

17. "*bangs head against table* I know, I know, I know."
In response to Reply # 9

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79495 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 10:17 AM

7. "recruiters and scouts tell you what you want to hear"
In response to Reply # 0

this family had to know going to Duke was a risky decision when it comes to being "the man"

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 11:59 AM

15. "One constant about recruiting is...."
In response to Reply # 0

coaches lie...

all the time...

and if you want to believe them today, that's on you...

anyone can easily go online as see who another major school is recruiting or who they have offered...

no excuse to go into this naïve

Beezo
Charter member
27556 posts
Thu Jun-28-18 12:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "If she don’t sit her ass down somewhere."
In response to Reply # 0

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

Frank Longo
86665 posts
Fri Jun-29-18 11:13 AM

26. "Mrs. Carter’s tweet this morning:"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/4kartell/status/1012587148732747776?s=21

Man, she really seems mad at K!

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Jun-29-18 11:25 AM

27. "PR spin it doesn't take back what she initially said lol"
In response to Reply # 26

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2665403 Previous topic | Next topic