Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2663248

Subject: "Puma secures Bagley, Marv secures bag, " Previous topic | Next topic
Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Fri Jun-15-18 08:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Puma secures Bagley, Marv secures bag, "
Fri Jun-15-18 08:42 AM by Basaglia

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23795930/marvin-bagley-iii-signs-endorsement-deal-footwear-apparel-endorsement-deal-puma

reportedly more than KD rookie deal of 7/60m with Nike.

SMH!

The Brand. So clean cut and 'ticulate, wit dem good smiles. Corporate America loves Duke players. Uncle Drew coming June 29.

Marv bout to be holding Rih Rih titty in edgy Puma ads in the middle of Esquire and GQ, while Missing Jacket Johnny still tryna get his first signature shoe.

Nas need to hurry up and get this album on platforms because I'm bored and more threads like this gon come if I ain't got nothing to do.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Puma secures Bagley, Marv secures bag,
Jun 15th 2018
^^^^^ROCK N' ROLL OKS DARREN ROVELL
Jun 15th 2018
Good to see Puma getting back into hoops
Jun 15th 2018
puma lol. his pockets straight tho.
Jun 15th 2018
puma is and always has been dope
Jun 18th 2018
Dare to dream
Jun 15th 2018
he breakdancin or hoopin??
Jun 15th 2018
apparently he no longer has to choose
Jun 15th 2018
      damn, this is good
Jun 15th 2018
yeah he bullshittin.
Jun 15th 2018
Whoops, something fell out
Jun 15th 2018
      yep, thas whut time it is (c)Marshawn Lynch
Jun 15th 2018
      clutch
Jun 15th 2018
In honor of Nas' new album...
Jun 15th 2018
man i love that dude lol
Jun 15th 2018
Deandre Ayton signing with Puma as well
Jun 18th 2018
ZHAIRE! Gonna win next year's Dunk Contest in some Pumas.
Jun 18th 2018
Is Puma getting back into hoops any more ridiculous than Under Armour?
Jun 18th 2018
they always had ambition. puma's foray into hoops was ephemeral
Jun 18th 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c8ZDl_GW-s
Jun 18th 2018
ahhhh it's a Roc Nation affair. Hov is president of Puma bball now
Jun 18th 2018
Puma? LMAO. Vince Carter says "Cash them checks fast!!!"
Jun 18th 2018
Hov!!
Jun 18th 2018
The KD deal more than a decade old?
Jun 18th 2018
its a record, and they are referencing the previous record
Jun 18th 2018
dogg, i looked at his post like "please tell me he not serious"
Jun 18th 2018
That was the rookie record, I believe
Jun 18th 2018
      y'all post bout contracts at me, you know that niggas can't read
Jun 18th 2018
next Puma b-ball shoe...in a different color way I think I like these
Jun 20th 2018
yep...as a sneakerhead...in a different colorway, I'd cop with no questi...
Jun 20th 2018
Link not working for me somehow but I saw em, mixed feelings
Jun 20th 2018
it's not far off from the new KD.
Jun 20th 2018
      The KD 11? To me those seem solid just stability question marks
Jun 20th 2018
MPJ, now signed to Puma
Jun 20th 2018
They are throwing a lot of money around banking on a '96/'03 draft
Jun 20th 2018
      Maybe it's just timing, as next year's draft looks pretty dire.
Jun 21st 2018
           True, if anything I am encouraged by their ambition
Jun 23rd 2018
so bad for the swoosh
Jun 21st 2018
lol you're talking as if it is a level playing field
Jun 23rd 2018
Forbes list!
Apr 14th 2021
Damn
Apr 14th 2021
"only hoop ninja of the Forbes list"
Apr 14th 2021

Luke Jensen
Member since Jan 28th 2007
277 posts
Fri Jun-15-18 09:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Puma secures Bagley, Marv secures bag, "
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jun-15-18 09:12 AM by Luke Jensen

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZPo-MyAeL.jpg

Basaglia
49463 posts
Fri Jun-15-18 10:38 AM

8. "^^^^^ROCK N' ROLL OKS DARREN ROVELL"
In response to Reply # 1

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Jun-15-18 09:24 AM

2. "Good to see Puma getting back into hoops"
In response to Reply # 0

It's not like the competition isn't needed.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Fri Jun-15-18 09:38 AM

3. "puma lol. his pockets straight tho."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 12:35 PM

16. "puma is and always has been dope"
In response to Reply # 3

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43352 posts
Fri Jun-15-18 09:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Dare to dream"
In response to Reply # 0

I remember when my high school team signed a deal with Puma after that Yinka deal...lmao...

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

houston_hardhead
Member since Jan 24th 2010
550 posts
Fri Jun-15-18 09:39 AM

5. "he breakdancin or hoopin??"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jun-15-18 09:40 AM by houston_hardhead

asking for a friend

---------------------------------

So i'm smokin on this cactus, bangin Fat Patrick
hustla til i die baby grindin like a savage
pimp game sweet, breakin ankles and feet
cuz these hoes break they toes til they job complete

H-Town made L.A. paid

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Fri Jun-15-18 09:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "apparently he no longer has to choose"
In response to Reply # 5

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Fri Jun-15-18 10:22 AM

7. "damn, this is good"
In response to Reply # 6

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Fri Jun-15-18 10:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "yeah he bullshittin."
In response to Reply # 0

got up nice and early this morning to watch world cup and bang that new 'sir.

spotify was like NOPE

>Nas need to hurry up and get this album on platforms because
>I'm bored and more threads like this gon come if I ain't got
>nothing to do.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Jun-15-18 10:44 AM

10. "Whoops, something fell out"
In response to Reply # 9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11B7kFNUWqE

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Fri Jun-15-18 10:46 AM

11. "yep, thas whut time it is (c)Marshawn Lynch"
In response to Reply # 10

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Fri Jun-15-18 10:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "clutch"
In response to Reply # 10

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Fri Jun-15-18 11:47 AM

13. "In honor of Nas' new album..."
In response to Reply # 0

try to watch this link without smiling...you can't
https://twitter.com/timelesssports_/status/1007619992035131392

cgonz00cc
35245 posts
Fri Jun-15-18 11:52 AM

14. "man i love that dude lol"
In response to Reply # 13

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 12:20 PM

15. "Deandre Ayton signing with Puma as well"
In response to Reply # 0

The biggest takeaway for me was that Vince Carter apparently signed with them right out of college?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23831979/projected-no-1-pick-nba-draft-deandre-ayton-signs-puma

Deandre Ayton, the projected No. 1 pick in this week's NBA draft, signed a four-year, multimillion-dollar footwear and apparel endorsement deal with Puma, the company announced Monday.

For Ayton, there was plenty of interest in pursuing a shoe deal with Puma, although the brand has been out of the basketball landscape for 20 years since signing Vince Carter in 1998. Ayton shares a connection to two of its biggest ambassadors, Olympic sprinter Usain Bolt of Jamaica and pop star Rihanna of Barbados, after growing up in the Caribbean.

"Puma is pretty popular in the Bahamas," Ayton said. "I've always seen the brand growing up. is one of the first people I saw with the brand. It's important to me that someone I identify with and admire as an athlete is with the same brand."

Ayton's basketball journey brought him to the United States when he was 12. He instantly was identified as the top eighth-grader in the nation. Ayton continued to dominate at each level thereafter, and his lone college season at Arizona saw him average 20.1 points and 11.6 rebounds per game while showcasing a versatile skill set that is tailor made for the NBA's modern offenses.

"He has breathtaking talent and athleticism," ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla said. "His motor runs high and he has a terrific offensive arsenal."

While other brands pitched Ayton with their own multi-year endorsement offers, it was the ability to create his own path alongside the re-launch of Puma's basketball category that most appealed to him.

"As I've been in the States, I've seen what they do with entertainers and always liked that," Ayton continues. "I see someone like Rihanna recently -- who is a lot like me, we have a similar background -- and she's putting her stamp on the brand. That's something that appeals to me from a creative side. Eventually I want to be a part of bringing this new style of Puma to my people."

The brand's return to the NBA comes as part of a major investment to sign players and launch new products in the market this fall. Puma has been exceptionally aggressive leading up to the draft, offering multi-year shoe deals to at least six projected first-round picks.

The brand is also set to announce a renewed lifetime partnership with longtime brand icon Walt "Clyde" Frazier, who launched Puma's first-ever signature basketball shoe in 1973. The timeless and clean silhouette, simply dubbed the Clyde, has been re-released endlessly in the decades since.

As Puma re-launches with new products this year, they'll be releasing a modernized knit version of the original Clyde, built with today's technology for the current speed and physical forces of the game's top players like Ayton. The heel tab features a "1973" nod to the original. Ayton has already tested out the upcoming basketball shoe, coming away impressed with the performance and comfort.

"Anything that can make me play like Clyde -- I'm with it! This is only my first time getting to experience the shoe, but I'm excited to get a feel for them," Ayton said. "When I first tried them, they were simple and smooth. Felt like nothing was there, which never happens to me. I wear a size 18 and they seem to already know how to fit me. I've told Puma I have some ideas about my basketball shoe already -- fit and style. That's the way Clyde would do it. Make it his way."

As the brand begins to focus its marketing campaigns this week around the NBA draft, Ayton will also look to be a featured athlete in lifestyle campaigns as well. Being able to expand beyond just basketball was a major factor during the pitch process for him, along with the ability to launch activations and products in his native Bahamas, where Puma has extensive experience.

Ayton is known for his outsized personality, and will look to be expressive and outgoing in his marketing from the onset. He likes to think of himself as more than just a basketball player.

"I'm an entertainer," Ayton said. "Puma knows entertainers and the way we move. I like color -- expect to see that. Anything different and new -- expect to see that."

Ayton will join Marvin Bagley III and Zhaire Smith as the first to sign with Puma in its renewed emphasis on basketball. The brand will be introducing their new rookie signings this week in advance of the draft during several activations and events in New York.

------

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 12:39 PM

17. "ZHAIRE! Gonna win next year's Dunk Contest in some Pumas."
In response to Reply # 15
Mon Jun-18-18 12:39 PM by Frank Longo

Love it.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 12:55 PM

18. "Is Puma getting back into hoops any more ridiculous than Under Armour?"
In response to Reply # 0

Like, UA isn't that far removed from being the company that made nothing but undershirts and over the top commercials.

------

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 08:41 PM

26. "they always had ambition. puma's foray into hoops was ephemeral "
In response to Reply # 18

On one hand, there is no reason Puma can't engineer a decent basketball shoe. On the other, there is no evidence that they can. They made a much larger financial commitment this time than they did in the 90s but we have seen companies commit big to endorsers only to deliver mediocre products (think Anta and Klay's money) to outright terrible ones (Le Coq Sportif's partnership with Noah).

They have some decent proprietary stuff, but Cell seems so out-of-date or at least already-tried. Their knits are pretty wimpy, totally not performance oriented. I am not saying they are going to be Big Baller Brand bad, but nothing says that they will deliver either. Handing out this kind of money and getting Jay involved says they are committed though, so I am eager to see what they do.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 01:04 PM

19. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c8ZDl_GW-s"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c8ZDl_GW-s

This is also better than the entire NASIR EP. But that's on Kanye, not Nas.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 03:30 PM

20. "ahhhh it's a Roc Nation affair. Hov is president of Puma bball now"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/BSO/status/1008794666395947011

and Walt Frazier copped a lifetime deal
https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/1008773337009541122

<--- Big Baller World Order

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 03:32 PM

21. "Puma? LMAO. Vince Carter says "Cash them checks fast!!!""
In response to Reply # 0

houston_hardhead
Member since Jan 24th 2010
550 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 03:56 PM

22. "Hov!!"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------

So i'm smokin on this cactus, bangin Fat Patrick
hustla til i die baby grindin like a savage
pimp game sweet, breakin ankles and feet
cuz these hoes break they toes til they job complete

H-Town made L.A. paid

RandomFact
Member since Dec 10th 2005
8710 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 04:04 PM

23. "The KD deal more than a decade old?"
In response to Reply # 0

>reportedly more than KD rookie deal of 7/60m with Nike.
>

lolz @ people digging up literally whatever to support the agenda.

cgonz00cc
35245 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 04:19 PM

24. "its a record, and they are referencing the previous record"
In response to Reply # 23

it was a decade old last year and still stood

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Basaglia
49463 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 09:01 PM

27. "dogg, i looked at his post like "please tell me he not serious""
In response to Reply # 24

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 04:46 PM

25. "That was the rookie record, I believe"
In response to Reply # 23

KD caking way more than that now but you gotta compare apples to apples. Probably adjusted for inflation the AI deal in 96 was the biggest, not sure, LeBron also got a fat one.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 09:23 PM

28. "y'all post bout contracts at me, you know that niggas can't read"
In response to Reply # 25

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18627 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 05:45 PM

29. "next Puma b-ball shoe...in a different color way I think I like these "
In response to Reply # 0

http://weartesters.com/puma-re-enters-basketball-market-clyde-court-disrupt/

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 05:55 PM

30. "yep...as a sneakerhead...in a different colorway, I'd cop with no questi..."
In response to Reply # 29

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 07:44 PM

32. "Link not working for me somehow but I saw em, mixed feelings"
Wed Jun-20-18 07:51 PM by ConcreteCharlie

The design is clean and safe, updated version of the Clyde. Not thrilled about the knit upper, basically just a sock around your ankle and no sign of any kind of midfoot containment. I think even the shoes with strong knits (e.g. BrandBlack Delta, KD 10) suffer in terms of midfoot containment and from the looks of these they will really suck in that aspect. The foam pellet tech, ehhhh, basically a take-down version of Boost, Black Foam is the same thing and it worked pretty well but not overall I think that sort of tech is asking for problems in a bball shoe. In a runner they can uncage it and stack it pretty thick, in bball so far they have to kind of limit the bounciness of it and put it in a thick encapsulation to boot.

I was hoping to see some Cell or an updated version of the Cell tech rather than a "new" cushioning that is just a copy of other companies' existing tech. They used this tech in a lifestyle shoe (call it a runner if you want but not really), I don't really see how it carries over to basketball. Usually that is a tough transition (think Air Max 360, Shox to an extent and definitely Boost has been a challenging carry-over for Adidas though they have done OK). I dunno, I am obviously willing to give it a shot but I am skeptical for sure.

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 07:50 PM

33. "it's not far off from the new KD."

I do wonder how their knit technology will hold up

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 07:55 PM

34. "The KD 11? To me those seem solid just stability question marks"
In response to Reply # 33

Oddly a lot of these new models are not very stable like the Jordan 31 and LeBron 15 both sucked in that regard (though I liked a lot of other things about them). Maybe the KD will be OK, will have see how the tooling wraps the foot and if it provides any kind of de facto outrigger.

Other than that I think they look solid. The knit is structured and they look like they offer more ankle support than the KD 9 and 10 did. I am really looking forward to the Zoom/React combo setup, hopefully it's more like the Zoom/Lunar setup we saw in the LeBron 11 and not like the one from the Kobe 10.

By contrast these Pumas don't seem to have much structure or support. The ankle is really hung out to dry. At least the Crazy Explosive 2017 had Forged Primeknit that was pretty strong around your foot. These seem like a lifestyle shoe to me at first glance.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 06:23 PM

31. "MPJ, now signed to Puma"
In response to Reply # 0

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 07:57 PM

35. "They are throwing a lot of money around banking on a '96/'03 draft"
In response to Reply # 31

This draft is good but I dunno if it's that good or anywhere close.

You can see the big guns chilling on the sidelines and that's telling to me. Nike and Adidas aren't afraid to spend this kind of money but they aren't pressed to do it either.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 01:28 AM

36. "Maybe it's just timing, as next year's draft looks pretty dire."
In response to Reply # 35

These three guys have major upside, and then Zhaire is a really good bet to be a serious Dunk Contest contender at minimum-- he'll be flashy. Barrett's the only guy in next year's draft who I think would go top four or five in this draft.

If they're trying to make a splash, this is the time to do it, and these are the guys to do it with.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Jun-23-18 01:40 PM

39. "True, if anything I am encouraged by their ambition"
In response to Reply # 36

Because it means they have a lot of money tied up so they can't abort the mission or afford to half ass it like they did in the 90s.

themaddfapper
Member since Mar 09th 2010
7558 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 08:58 AM

37. "so bad for the swoosh"
In response to Reply # 0

its less the sneaker sales (bigs dont really move shoes, basketball sneaker market is down)

its the ability to market thats lost. go to an event and you see all their players in their Nike AAU uniforms. Draymond, AD, Booker, et al.

This group was supposed to be the group kids in 2-3 would see as aspirational

never mind them coming back and sponsoring teams or showing up at sessions.

now

lonnie
trae
mpj
ayton
bagley

any of those guys pop, they can't use ANY of them. Ooof.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Jun-23-18 01:39 PM

38. "lol you're talking as if it is a level playing field"
In response to Reply # 37

If any of those guys blow up, Nike can let Puma waste the money on the early stages of their career and come in with the big bucks on their second contract when they will be in their primes. Nike is not sweating this one bit, neither is Adidas.

okayplayery
Member since Aug 25th 2012
518 posts
Wed Apr-14-21 07:24 AM

40. "Forbes list!"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.forbes.com/sites/seandeveney/2021/03/31/for-the-sacramento-kings-time-to-exorcise-the-marvin-bagley-mistake/

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed Apr-14-21 07:38 AM

41. "Damn"
In response to Reply # 40

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Apr-14-21 08:28 AM

42. ""only hoop ninja of the Forbes list""
In response to Reply # 40

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2663248 Previous topic | Next topic