Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2662005

Subject: "With Colangelo out - Griffin tabbed as top candidate for Sixers " Previous topic | Next topic
Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Fri Jun-08-18 08:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"With Colangelo out - Griffin tabbed as top candidate for Sixers "

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/06/07/76ers-fire-bryan-colangelo-opening-the-nbas-most-desirable-gm-job-who-are-the-candidates/?utm_term=.6889320546d4

If Griffin does indeed get the job - and early (within June or early July) - that would be quite the bat signal to LeBron.

-->

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I hope so, but i have no faith in our owners
Jun 08th 2018
RE: I hope so, but i have no faith in our owners
Jun 08th 2018
      the organization wants the Kang
Jun 08th 2018
Witness the Process
Jun 08th 2018
Can somebody remind me what's so great about Griffin again other...
Jun 08th 2018
it's been explained here but you don't want to listen.
Jun 08th 2018
I thought he got fired for even suggesting a 'Rie trade...?
Jun 08th 2018
      nah, he walked because gilbert wouldn't pay him
Jun 08th 2018
it's a fair point, but he made the best of an impossible situation.
Jun 08th 2018
griffin sold chris grant on dion, sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
Jun 08th 2018

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Jun-08-18 09:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I hope so, but i have no faith in our owners"
In response to Reply # 0

josh harris seemed to imply a long search yesterday, which is just stupid when a slam dunk like griff is available. even if griff can't land lebron, he'd be one of my 2-3 top choices. with bron on the market it's a no brainer.

the only way i'll forgive not getting griff soon is if they have a plan to let bron pick the gm. that presents problems of its own (LeGM) but it's a deal with the devil i'd happily accept.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Fri Jun-08-18 09:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "RE: I hope so, but i have no faith in our owners"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri Jun-08-18 09:25 AM by Vex_id

>josh harris seemed to imply a long search yesterday, which is
>just stupid when a slam dunk like griff is available. even if
>griff can't land lebron, he'd be one of my 2-3 top choices.
>with bron on the market it's a no brainer.

The timing of all of this is interesting. The Ringer article that implicated Colangelo was brilliantly prepared (shouts to Guinness) and timed just ripe for an off-season acquisition of a new GM.

I think the optics and intent can partially be inferred from how Philly goes about this. If they hire Griffin early - to me it signals that they really want LeBron (even though Griffin probably should get the job regardless of LeBron's free agency).

If they draw it out - that probably implies there is some dissent within the organization as to the immediate direction.

I would imagine that views are split on whether to welcome LeBron in or to keep the status quo intact. Given the extreme youth of both Joel & Ben - I think it's a no-brainer as Bron will taper off in 3-4 years - right at the time when Joel & Ben are about to hit their prime. I still think Philly has work to do if they even want LeBron though. They'll need to get more veterans to run with LeBron. Also - JJ & Belli would need to be retained if possible as they would fit with Bron perfectly on drive & kick open looks for 3. Covington is also a great fit w/ his length, 3-point shooting & ability to defend at a high-level.

But you never know when egos clash on this scale. I'm sure part of Joel & Bin want to go it alone - but given the nature of today's NBA - they need more talent if they want to win a title.

>the only way i'll forgive not getting griff soon is if they
>have a plan to let bron pick the gm. that presents problems of
>its own (LeGM) but it's a deal with the devil i'd happily
>accept.

-->

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Jun-08-18 09:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "the organization wants the Kang"
In response to Reply # 2

the lunatic fringe of the fanbase, which includes me, have mixed feelings, just because we'd love to see how far we'd go with ben and jo as the main guys, but i think those are the only people who aren't 100 percent positive.

the owners see dollar signs. the remaining front office sees annual trips to the front office. the players are young and aren't thinking of fit.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Fri Jun-08-18 11:04 AM

4. "Witness the Process"
In response to Reply # 0

Guinny on the cusp of Philly sports gawd

Fuck a tshirt, give that man a statue

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Jun-08-18 01:33 PM

5. "Can somebody remind me what's so great about Griffin again other..."
In response to Reply # 0

than his assumed ties to Lebron?

Isn't everybody crying about how trash Lebron's supporting cast is?

Didn't Griffin build most of that?

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Fri Jun-08-18 01:40 PM

6. "it's been explained here but you don't want to listen."
In response to Reply # 5

>than his assumed ties to Lebron?
>
>Isn't everybody crying about how trash Lebron's supporting
>cast is?
>
>Didn't Griffin build most of that?

No - he didn't. Griffin was fired before this year. He (in concert with LeBron) were the architects of the 2015 & 2016 teams and were (rightfully) credited for the moves that brought Shump/JR & Mozgov in - as well as Korver. In the middle of LeBron's 2-year deal - Gilbert went rogue, fired Griffin, and froze LeBron out of the decisions. That's what produced the Kyrie trade and the subsequent deal that brought the spare tires (hill, hood, clarkson, nance jr.) to Cleveland - of which Griffin had absolutely nothing to do with it.

He did a great job in building the 2015 & 2016 Cavs teams - and then was fired because - well - Gilbert is the worst owner in sports.

-->

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Fri Jun-08-18 02:00 PM

7. "I thought he got fired for even suggesting a 'Rie trade...?"
In response to Reply # 6

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/20/15835070/david-griffin-dan-gilbert-history-cavs-gm

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Jun-08-18 02:15 PM

9. "nah, he walked because gilbert wouldn't pay him"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri Jun-08-18 02:15 PM by bshelly

gilbert and kobe altman made the rie rie trade.

----
bshelly

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Jun-08-18 02:15 PM

8. "it's a fair point, but he made the best of an impossible situation."
In response to Reply # 5

on one hand, you have lebron, who is only signing one year contracts and demanding dudes that help him win right this second.

on the other, you've got dan gilbert, whose idiocy shouldn't need

given those constraints and the cap, griff could only trade or add ring chasing vets. he did pretty well. he won the mozghov/shump/jr for two 1sts trade pretty convincingly. he added dudes like frye and korver who ended up playing above their contract. he navigated two collasal egos and managed to keep kyrie happy in the middle of it.

----
bshelly

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Fri Jun-08-18 02:18 PM

10. "griffin sold chris grant on dion, sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..."
In response to Reply # 5

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2662005 Previous topic | Next topic