Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2661094

Subject: "so Kyler Murray got picked 9TH in the MLB draft. still wants to play CTE..." Previous topic | Next topic
BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 09:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"so Kyler Murray got picked 9TH in the MLB draft. still wants to play CTE..."

4.76m slot value. why is he even considering playing football. i'd leave Oklahoma tonight!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2018-mlb-draft-oklahoma-qb-kyler-murray-surprisingly-drafted-no-9-overall-by-oakland-as/

Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley made it clear over the last few days that he believed quarterback Kyler Murray would stay with the Sooners and play football this fall instead of immediately turning pro in baseball if he was drafted early. Turns out, Murray was drafted earlier than anyone expected ... and Riley was still right.

Though Murray was selected No. 9 overall in the 2018 MLB Draft by the Oakland A's on Monday night, he confirmed a few hours later that he will play football for the Sooners this fall. Moreover, he noted that the A's are OK with his plan. (It would be unfathomable for them not to be if they're drafting him that high.) Murray had previously been mum regarding his future.

According to MLB.com, the ninth pick has a slot value of about $4.76 million. Right off the bat -- no pun intended -- that was a lot for Murray to consider. Before Monday night's surprising pick, he was generally considered a late-first round prospect at best. It will be interesting to see how much of that value he obtains considering his decision.

The talented outfielder had quite the season on the diamond for Oklahoma, batting .296 with 10 homers, 47 RBI, 46 runs and a .398 on-base percentage over 51 games.

As a quarterback, he started his college career at Texas A&M before transferring to OU, where he spent the 2017 season as the backup to Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield. Murray was initially considered the frontrunner to start this fall, but a tight competition with redshirt freshman Austin Kendall bled into the spring game. However, with Murray acknowledging that he plans to stay at OU for at least one more season -- he has two years of eligibility left -- it seems likely that he will get the nod before the season.

Murray's decision could come down to him wanting to prove himself on the football field. There's no denying baseball is objectively the better option for him for many oft-stated reasons: more money, a longer career span and the like. And at 5-foot-11, Murray's football ceiling has never been considered as high. However, he was a five-star prospect and the No. 1 dual-threat quarterback coming out of Allen High School in 2015. Between transferring from A&M and sitting on the bench in 2017, he hasn't quite lived up to his recruitment hype. If he wins the starting job this fall -- and he'll have an opportunity to change that.

Remember, too, that Murray can do both -- for now, at least.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
breh, A LOT of the Thunder Twitter folk on my timeline...
Jun 05th 2018
reminds me of the Drew Henson saga
Jun 05th 2018
dude's a competitor. hats off to him in my book.
Jun 05th 2018
what's the paycheck for competitors with brain trauma?
Jun 05th 2018
      by and large, no one cares.
Jun 06th 2018
I agree, no reason a first round MLB pick should risk it
Jun 05th 2018
if he signs & plays football for OU, he would be 3rd highest paid in Big...
Jun 05th 2018
Wait a sec...he wants a baseball career but wants one CFB season?
Jun 05th 2018
only person he has to prove anything to is himself
Jun 05th 2018
A's knew the score when they drafted him.
Jun 05th 2018
it's almost dumb to play football even if it's your only option,
Jun 05th 2018
it's only dumb if you don't love football.
Jun 06th 2018
you guys dont "get" football.
Jun 05th 2018
What is there to get?
Jun 05th 2018
if you dont understand why he wants to play one year
Jun 05th 2018
      I think you can get that he wants this.
Jun 06th 2018
           but even then, youre talking about Natl HS POY
Jun 06th 2018
I played it for 10 years. Fuck that game if baseball's going to pay you.
Jun 06th 2018
      you treating it like a disposable extra-curricular activity
Jun 07th 2018
take out insurance and play football for a year.
Jun 06th 2018
i hear you, but most don't also have the option to play pro baseball.
Jun 06th 2018
      seems like a lot of talented QB's have been drafted by MLB teams
Jun 06th 2018
           yeah, definitely not shocked.
Jun 06th 2018
Not sure i'd make that decision, but i definitely understand someone els...
Jun 06th 2018
exactly.
Jun 06th 2018
Man, a college QB w/$5 mil in his pocket? Senior year gonna be
Jun 06th 2018
also this. cant knock a dude for wanting to have FUN in college
Jun 06th 2018
was it a shock he went top ten?
Jun 06th 2018
Yes; projected at late 1st/early 2nd, maybe
Jun 06th 2018
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1004495057381183488
Jun 13th 2018
I understand why but from a risk/reward, it’s a blatantly bad choice
Jun 13th 2018
$4.76M for those numbers!!!!
Jun 13th 2018

Dstl1
Charter member
56190 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 09:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "breh, A LOT of the Thunder Twitter folk on my timeline..."
In response to Reply # 0

are also Sooner Twitter and they are losing their SHIT, lol...fearing he will walk away and not play football, anymore. Like...fuck dudes body and brain...we need him! (no one actually said that...just sayin)

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35208 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 09:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "reminds me of the Drew Henson saga"
In response to Reply # 1

except Murray proved himself in the Big12, and Henson went from h.s. to the minors

also seems like Murray can hit a curve ball

but maaaaaaan...Michigan was fucking LOADED in 2001. lost 3 regular season games by 13 points, and ALL turned on some QB fuckery. the INT returned for a TD @Washington and the shotgun snap going right past Jermaine Gonzales's face and into the end zone against OSU were especially fun.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

cgonz00cc
35208 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 09:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "dude's a competitor. hats off to him in my book."
In response to Reply # 0

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 09:56 PM

12. "what's the paycheck for competitors with brain trauma?"
In response to Reply # 2

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

cgonz00cc
35208 posts
Wed Jun-06-18 08:15 AM

16. "by and large, no one cares."
In response to Reply # 12

millions of h.s. players and thousands of ncaa football players participate with full knowledge of the risk despite having no chance to make football a career

Kyler Murray could make $20M with ONE good season at OU and NOW he's supposed to care about that?

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 09:39 AM

4. "I agree, no reason a first round MLB pick should risk it"
In response to Reply # 0

playing football for free.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 09:40 AM

5. "if he signs & plays football for OU, he would be 3rd highest paid in Big..."
In response to Reply # 0

as 9th pick in MLB Draft, Kyler Murray's "pick value" is $4.76m...if he signs & plays football for OU, he would be 3rd highest paid in Big 12 behind Tom Herman ($5.5m) and Gary Patterson ($5.1m), perhaps ahead of his coach Lincoln Riley, who figures to get raise from $3.1m

https://twitter.com/CBS11BillJones/status/1003811126981873665

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15893 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 09:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Wait a sec...he wants a baseball career but wants one CFB season?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-05-18 09:54 AM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

To prove himself? Not even to try to get an NFL look. Just to not look like a CFB bust

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--uzX1evSO--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_320/zn0gfl0f2gxa3ujhkken.png

cgonz00cc
35208 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 10:04 AM

7. "only person he has to prove anything to is himself"
In response to Reply # 6

and if he feels hes gotta do it, hes gotta do it

like i said...a competitor

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44687 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 12:52 PM

8. "A's knew the score when they drafted him. "
In response to Reply # 0

They figure he'll choose the potential of longer, guaranteed money over a shorter career in football.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 02:24 PM

9. "it's almost dumb to play football even if it's your only option,"
In response to Reply # 0

when you can make millions playing baseball it's ridiculous. He probably doesn't want to let down his teammates though, and kids from Texas kind of love football.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79334 posts
Wed Jun-06-18 09:09 AM

18. "it's only dumb if you don't love football. "
In response to Reply # 9

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

cgonz00cc
35208 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 04:28 PM

10. "you guys dont "get" football."
In response to Reply # 0

like...at all.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15893 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 09:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "What is there to get?"
In response to Reply # 10

cgonz00cc
35208 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 11:50 PM

13. "if you dont understand why he wants to play one year"
In response to Reply # 11

after the blood sweat and tears it took him to reach this point, theres nothing im going to be able to relate to you that can explain it

not to mention the specialized roles of positions create team dynamics that arent there in other sports, or the fact that the physical punishment endured feels more like an achievement rather than a price to be paid.

its just different, and im actually more surprised when people give up football in these situations.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Wed Jun-06-18 12:31 AM

14. "I think you can get that he wants this."
In response to Reply # 13

and still look at it as an objectively fucking dumb decision.

there is nothing you can get out of playing college football that is akin to what is potentially lifetime financial security and fewer concussions.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

cgonz00cc
35208 posts
Wed Jun-06-18 08:11 AM

15. "but even then, youre talking about Natl HS POY"
In response to Reply # 14

playing in a supercharged offense, and the guy he is replacing just signed for ~800% of Murray's MLB expected slot value

he's not an also-ran DB trying to earn his spot. he's the starting QB at Oklahoma; he's worked his entire life to get here; and he believes he is going to succeed.

this all makes perfect sense to me.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18728 posts
Wed Jun-06-18 12:58 PM

28. "I played it for 10 years. Fuck that game if baseball's going to pay you."
In response to Reply # 10

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

cgonz00cc
35208 posts
Thu Jun-07-18 08:14 AM

29. "you treating it like a disposable extra-curricular activity"
In response to Reply # 28

seems to support, rather than refute, my original statement

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

legsdiamond
79334 posts
Wed Jun-06-18 09:07 AM

17. "take out insurance and play football for a year. "
In response to Reply # 0

whats the big deal? Dude prolly waited his whole life to QB at a D1 school.

He could have a year that puts him in the top 5 of the NFL draft.

You are only young once.

Yall sound like some bitches with this CTE talk. These kids know the risk.

This is why they are playing D1 and have a shot at making millions. They take risk and make sacrifices that most aren't willing or able to make.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Wed Jun-06-18 09:18 AM

19. "i hear you, but most don't also have the option to play pro baseball."
In response to Reply # 17

i see both sides of this argument.

legsdiamond
79334 posts
Wed Jun-06-18 10:54 AM

22. "seems like a lot of talented QB's have been drafted by MLB teams"
In response to Reply # 19

most aren't drafted 9th overall but I'm never shocked when a good college QB also plays baseball.

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Wed Jun-06-18 11:06 AM

23. "yeah, definitely not shocked."
In response to Reply # 22

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59131 posts
Wed Jun-06-18 09:42 AM

20. "Not sure i'd make that decision, but i definitely understand someone els..."
In response to Reply # 0

making it.

If we call this decision dumb, then everyone makes dumb decisions every day. There's potential risks in a lot of stuff that people enjoy doing. Some people decide to do it, others won't. *shrug*

Plus, anyone that feels that he's making a dumb decision, should also feel like those that play hs ball without any expectation of college or pro ball are making a dumb decision as well.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

cgonz00cc
35208 posts
Wed Jun-06-18 09:52 AM

21. "exactly."
In response to Reply # 20

>Plus, anyone that feels that he's making a dumb decision,
>should also feel like those that play hs ball without any
>expectation of college or pro ball are making a dumb decision
>as well.

and those kids are doing it because they enjoy it. not to be clichéd, but they actually all probably love it.

so yeah. someone who cant understand this probably doesn't understand what the game means to them.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Wed Jun-06-18 11:26 AM

24. "Man, a college QB w/$5 mil in his pocket? Senior year gonna be "
In response to Reply # 0

off the hook.

Memories of Willis Mcgahee kind of fuck up the scenario a bit, but as long as he gets himself some grown up insurance, i guess.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

cgonz00cc
35208 posts
Wed Jun-06-18 11:35 AM

26. "also this. cant knock a dude for wanting to have FUN in college "
In response to Reply # 24

thats what ALLLLLLLL this is about.

fun.

having fun got him a college degree at no cost, having fun got him drafted in baseball, and now hes about to have fun throwing 40 TDs in prime time every week with a big ass bank account

people acting like he's supposed to do ledger-based risk management on his fun ass life are missing that point as well.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

will_5198
Charter member
63072 posts
Wed Jun-06-18 11:34 AM

25. "was it a shock he went top ten?"
In response to Reply # 0

article says first round projected, and I know college stats don't count for much in projections, but he hit .122 last year and seemed fully committed to football the entire time.

if he can't hit and isn't getting reps hitting, that $4 million will be the last contract he ever gets.

--------

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Jun-06-18 12:50 PM

27. "Yes; projected at late 1st/early 2nd, maybe"
In response to Reply # 25

Top 10 was a pretty big jump. But baseball entry draft is a weird duck, anyway, where no scout worth their salt will ever give an accurate rating to a non-drafted pro.

Dstl1
Charter member
56190 posts
Wed Jun-13-18 07:35 PM

30. "https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1004495057381183488"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1004495057381183488

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Wed Jun-13-18 09:10 PM

31. "I understand why but from a risk/reward, it’s a blatantly bad choice"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Wed Jun-13-18 10:00 PM

32. "$4.76M for those numbers!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

>The talented outfielder had quite the season on the diamond
>for Oklahoma, batting .296 with 10 homers, 47 RBI, 46 runs and
>a .398 on-base percentage over 51 games.
>

Man he better get his ass on the diamond... and fast!!!!!!

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2661094 Previous topic | Next topic