Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2652333

Subject: "Coach of the Year?" Previous topic | Next topic
ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 03:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Coach of the Year?"

Poll result (17 votes)
Casey (4 votes)Vote
Brown (3 votes)Vote
McMillan (1 votes)Vote
Snyder (5 votes)Vote
Pop (0 votes)Vote
Other (4 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Coach of the Year?
Apr 24th 2018
Stevens
Apr 25th 2018
Damn...D'antoni can't even get a spot??
Apr 26th 2018
you know i love dat pringles but i dont think he will get it this year
Apr 26th 2018
It's a great year for CotY. Gotta be Stevens though.
Apr 26th 2018
^yep. Stevens earned Coty
Apr 26th 2018
Quin
Apr 26th 2018
he has my vote
Apr 26th 2018
so many candidates....so many teams exceeded expecations
Apr 26th 2018
nice
Apr 26th 2018
Three of Utah's four leading scorers are gone, and they still won 48.
Apr 26th 2018
yup and they had a fuckton of injuries at times, too
Apr 26th 2018
I shoulda put Stevens over Pop I coulda swore I had him already
Apr 26th 2018
To me it's Stevens. What he accomplished w/out both Ky & G. Hay
Apr 26th 2018
eh. Stevens/Celts had gotten 46 of their 55 wins before Kyrie went down
Apr 26th 2018
      I read your post below and you def make a great argument
Apr 26th 2018
D'ANTONI NIGGA...wtf is wrong with yall!!!!
Apr 26th 2018
call me a homer but, Brett Brown by a nose.
Apr 26th 2018

electricflower
Member since Sep 18th 2003
1721 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 08:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: Coach of the Year?"
In response to Reply # 0

stotts lol

numbers look crooked like king kong shook it - jdilla

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Wed Apr-25-18 11:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Stevens"
In response to Reply # 0

Selassie I God
Member since Feb 21st 2006
10355 posts
Thu Apr-26-18 12:57 AM

3. "Damn...D'antoni can't even get a spot??"
In response to Reply # 0

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0-qndkemo

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Thu Apr-26-18 03:03 PM

12. "you know i love dat pringles but i dont think he will get it this year"
In response to Reply # 3

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Thu Apr-26-18 01:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "It's a great year for CotY. Gotta be Stevens though."
In response to Reply # 0

You remember how you saw the Celtics' season playing out once Hayward went down. You saw the looks in those players eyes as everything unfolded on national television six minutes into their season. That they went on to record a 16 game winning streak almost immediately after including a few of blowouts was nearly enough for me. But when you look closer, things get even more interesting to me. How many young players are on that team, how many people had to step up throughout the year from Jayson Tatum looking like a four year vet in year one to Terry Rozier having to reign in all his worst tendencies and basically do a cover version of Isaiah Thomas.

But they also had the high scorer in just 38 of their games yet just barely missed the No. 1 seed in their conference. For comparison, Golden State had 53 as the No. 2 in the west (and if that's not fair, because it's not, the Blazers had 47 and the Sixers also had 38 but spread across a wider number of players). Which brings to mind that Brett Brown would be my vote for the No. 2 for keeping that team rolling despite the media circus surrounding Fultz, Embiid constantly complaining about playing time on Twitter (I also give Brown a lot of credit for scaling back how strict he was with his Embiid Rules) and handing the keys to the car to a technical rookie.

But when I look at the Celtics season, I just see so many things that could have gone right going far better than anyone might've expected. On paper they looked a lot like the Wizards a couple years ago, young and full of potential but also riddled with questions and lessons to learn. The Celtics played this entire year like they had no other choice but to be great and perfect when they had every reason to feel demoralized, and to me that mostly comes down to the coach.

They even look like they're going to take down the Bucks, which isn't as impressive as the Blazers beating the Clippers a couple years ago, and would be a given if EITHER of Irving or Hayward were in this series, but as things are only feels like it makes sense because Stevens is on the sideline. When was the last time a team lost both its stars during the season and found itself one game away from the second round of the playoffs, especially once the first round extended to a full seven games?

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

thejerseytornado
Member since Dec 24th 2005
26423 posts
Thu Apr-26-18 10:00 AM

8. "^yep. Stevens earned Coty"
In response to Reply # 4

even if he had kyrie and hayward, he saw a roster almost entirely turn over (the only holdovers who played 20+ minutes from last year were Horford, Smart. The only other holdovers were Rozier and Brown who both played about 17 minutes per game).

he took an entirely new squad then lost their big new signing and didn't miss a beat. He's got a team that lost a 2nd tier MVP candidate in Kyrie and has them 3-2 in the first round. But he's not going to win because everyone expects him/his team to be great. But that's not smart.

-----------
you think we playing chess, but i'm playing mad-making. Basaglia

Castro
Charter member
50741 posts
Thu Apr-26-18 08:43 AM

5. "Quin"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts

11. "he has my vote"
In response to Reply # 5

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59169 posts
Thu Apr-26-18 08:47 AM

6. "so many candidates....so many teams exceeded expecations"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Thu Apr-26-18 09:07 AM

7. "nice"
In response to Reply # 0

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Thu Apr-26-18 11:03 AM

9. "Three of Utah's four leading scorers are gone, and they still won 48."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-26-18 11:04 AM by Frank Longo

Give it to Snyder.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Thu Apr-26-18 03:04 PM

13. "yup and they had a fuckton of injuries at times, too"
In response to Reply # 9

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts

10. "I shoulda put Stevens over Pop I coulda swore I had him already"
In response to Reply # 0

I guess he is the de facto "other" option, which now should DEFINITELY have said "I'm white"

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Thu Apr-26-18 03:14 PM

14. "To me it's Stevens. What he accomplished w/out both Ky & G. Hay"
In response to Reply # 0

is insane. They were vying for the #1 seed until basically the last week of the season - and played shockingly consistent basketball. They literally had negligible drop-off w/ Brown/Tatum & Rozier filling the shoes of Irving & Gordon.

-->

Aeon
Charter member
43870 posts
Thu Apr-26-18 05:56 PM

17. "eh. Stevens/Celts had gotten 46 of their 55 wins before Kyrie went down"
In response to Reply # 14
Thu Apr-26-18 05:57 PM by Aeon

1) they were a 1 seed last year.
2) it's not like anybody had any clue what to expect of the Celts WITH Hayward.
3) they lost very little in the previous offseason (bradley/crowder) and got to give those minutes to some very talented kids, got younger in the process and weren't exactly world beaters after Kyrie got shut down (9-6 including giving up 33 to Taurean Prince in a loss ATL).
4) lost the 1 seed they'd had for a good portion of the year.

i think the argument can be made for him but he should not be the favorite as people are starting to parrot these days. putting homerism aside, i think even Quinn Snyder is few lengths ahead.

_

shakin your block with a 6 million dollar bop

_

www.davidevanmcdowell.com

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Thu Apr-26-18 06:17 PM

18. "I read your post below and you def make a great argument"
In response to Reply # 17

The growth within a season has been incredible Philly - I just think that they happen to have two of the most talented guys in the game (who are *rapidly* emerging as top 10 players) - and in my mind Stevens (and Snyder) have just done more w/ less - but my pick was definitely more about who I think is just the best pure coach in the game (I think it's Pop or Stevens) versus who deserves the aware based on the context of what's happened this year. And you're right - Brett Brown deserves uber credit - not just for the difference in win totals and securing a third seed - but for the culture that he has helped cultivate. I think Philly is the most dynamic basketball atmosphere in the Eastern Conference, on-par with Golden State and Utah in terms of home-court electricity.

So yea - consider me persuaded.

-->

houston_hardhead
Member since Jan 24th 2010
550 posts
Thu Apr-26-18 03:36 PM

15. "D'ANTONI NIGGA...wtf is wrong with yall!!!! "
In response to Reply # 0

best record plus....nigga done sprankled some D in his playbook too...aint even close...

---------------------------------

So i'm smokin on this cactus, bangin Fat Patrick
hustla til i die baby grindin like a savage
pimp game sweet, breakin ankles and feet
cuz these hoes break they toes til they job complete

H-Town made L.A. paid

Aeon
Charter member
43870 posts
Thu Apr-26-18 05:39 PM

16. "call me a homer but, Brett Brown by a nose."
In response to Reply # 0

there's a lot of good competition this year, but i'm sorry - a 21 game improvement, out of the playoffs, to the 3rd seed, and really, the cumulative coaching during the redshirt/injury years of his 2 stars, the system/culture he's built and the indoctrination of all the added pieces (jj, bellinelli, even ilyasova to an extent) - and most importantly, having a squad of sub 5 year players alongside a few vets be the odds on favorite to come out of the east is pretty fucking spectacular.

_

shakin your block with a 6 million dollar bop

_

www.davidevanmcdowell.com

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2652333 Previous topic | Next topic