Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2649083

Subject: "So is Nerlens career over? Suspended for drug use." Previous topic | Next topic
auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Tue Apr-03-18 04:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"So is Nerlens career over? Suspended for drug use."

I like dude but he just can't seem to get right. Injuries or a messed up situation and now drug use. Top that off with not having a skillset fit for the modern NBA and it begs to ask, will he have a job in the league next season?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
https://sports.yahoo.com/drug-suspension-ends-season-nothing-went-way-nerlens-noel-planned-175307637.html

Drug suspension ends season in which nothing went the way Nerlens Noel planned

Nerlens Noel‘s disastrous 2017-18 NBA season came to an early, and ignominious, end on Tuesday, when the NBA announced that the Dallas Mavericks big man was one of two players to receive a five-game suspension without pay for violating the terms of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program. The other, Thabo Sefolosha of the Utah Jazz, has been sidelined for nearly three months after undergoing surgery to repair a torn medial collateral ligament in his right knee.

The NBA didn’t specify exactly how Noel and Sefolosha violated the anti-drug policy, but the penalty structure laid out in the policy between the league and players’ union details only one offense that carries a five-game suspension: a third marijuana-related violation. From the 2017 collective bargaining agreement (emphasis mine):

Any player who (i) tests positive for marijuana pursuant to Section 5 (Reasonable Cause Testing), Section 6 (Random Testing), or Section 15 (Additional Bases for Testing), (ii) is adjudged by the Grievance Arbitrator pursuant to Section 5(e) above to have used or possessed marijuana, or (iii) has been convicted of (including a plea of guilty, no contest or nolo contendere to) the use or possession of marijuana in violation of the law, shall suffer the following penalties:

(A) For the first such violation, the player shall be required to enter the Marijuana Program;

(B) For the second such violation, the player shall be fined $25,000 and, if the player is not then subject to in-patient or aftercare treatment in the Marijuana Program, be required to enter the Marijuana Program;

(C) For the third such violation, the player shall be suspended for five (5) games and, if the player is not then subject to in-patient or aftercare treatment in the Marijuana Program, be required to enter the Marijuana Program; and

(D) For any subsequent violation, the player shall be suspended for five (5) games longer than his immediately-preceding suspension for violating the Marijuana Program and, if the player is not then subject to in-patient or aftercare treatment in the Marijuana Program, be required to enter the Marijuana Program.

The injured Sefolosha’s suspension will begin with the next game for which he’s active and in which he’s physically able to play. Even if the Jazz make the playoffs, that’d likely be next season. It remains to be seen whether the veteran swingman will be in Utah to serve it, as the second year of the $10.5 million contract he signed last summer is reportedly unguaranteed.

For Noel, though, the suspension starts now, with the Mavericks’ Tuesday game against the Portland Trail Blazers, and will keep him out of the lineup for the remainder of the lottery-bound Mavericks’ campaign. That all but certainly means the end of Noel’s tumultuous tenure in Dallas …

Nerlens Noel's five-game suspension for violating the terms of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program will last the duration of Dallas' season, meaning the unrestricted free agent might already have played his last game for the Mavericks.

— Kevin Pelton (@kpelton) April 3, 2018

… and the forfeiture of six figures’ worth of income …

The 5 game suspension for violating the terms of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program will cost Nerlens Noel $144,400. Noel will sit out the remainder of the Mavericks 5 regular season games.

— Bobby Marks (@BobbyMarks42) April 3, 2018

… which, given how this season started for Noel, feels kind of appropriate.

The No. 6 overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft had shown signs of being a high-impact defender and rim-runner during his first two seasons with the Philadelphia 76ers, before Philly’s glut of talented young big men — and the emergence of All-Star center Joel Embiid — left Noel on the outside of coach Brett Brown’s rotation and general manager Bryan Colangelo’s plans. Noel showed some enticing flashes after being shipped to Dallas at the 2017 trade deadline, looking like a potential piece of the core of the next competitive iteration of the Mavericks, alongside maxed-out forward Harrison Barnes and the team’s 2017 lottery pick, point guard Dennis Smith Jr.

Things started to fall apart last summer, though, when Noel — then a restricted free agent — reportedly turned down a four-year, $70 million deal that the Mavericks offered. He reportedly believed that multiple maximum-salary contract offers were coming his way, but when July 1 rolled around and free agency began, those offers never materialized.

My guy needs better friends and advisors in his circle https://t.co/YI6Zwko6Dd

— CJ McCollum (@CJMcCollum) August 24, 2017

Despite changing agents to try to shake those richer deals loose, Noel wound up settling for signing his one-year, $4 million qualifying offer — a monster haircut from the salary he could’ve clocked by taking the Mavs’ offer, but one that would afford him the chance to enter unrestricted free agency in the summer of 2018. In essence, Noel was aiming to follow in the footsteps of Dion Waiters, making a massive bet on his ability to produce enough in a prove-it year to entice a prospective suitor to come up with the kind of offer he believed he’d receive one year earlier.

But while Waiters starred for the 2016-17 Miami Heat, helping lead the Heat to within one win of a surprising playoff berth and earning a $52 million contract last summer, Noel’s bet seems less likely to pan out … largely because he barely played this season.

Despite suiting up for a tanking rebuilding Mavericks team that just about everybody expected to be bad this year, the 23-year-old opened the season struggling to earn consistent playing time. He exited the starting lineup in early November, exited coach Rick Carlisle’s rotation shortly thereafter, and started racking up DNP-CDs after that. Why Noel wasn’t getting any tick remained a big question, and the answers varied depending on who you talked to.

Maybe Mark Cuban, Donnie Nelson, Carlisle and the rest of the Dallas braintrust decided to park the fourth-year center in part as a response to his decision to reject their offer and turn himself into, essentially, a lame-duck free agent whose minutes would be more about auditioning for 29 other teams than trying to convince the Mavs to more highly value him as part of their future plans. Or maybe the Mavs honestly felt like Noel — a talented and versatile defensive player, but one who hadn’t set the world on fire with his production through the first 10 games of the season and in whose minutes Dallas was roundly outscored — didn’t merit playing time in the middle over options like Salah Mejri, Dwight Powell (who, for what it’s worth, would turn out to be one of Dallas’ best players and few bright spots this season), Maxi Kleber and Jeff Withey.

“Look, minutes have to be earned,” Carlisle said after Noel didn’t play against the Cleveland Cavaliers on Nov. 11. “At this point, if it’s between him and Salah, Salah has earned the minutes. There’s no doghouse here. There just isn’t. It’s pretty simple: You compete, and if you earn minutes, you get minutes. And you’ve got to compete to keep them, because it’s a competitive situation.”

It also proved to be a fairly absurd one. I mean, what else can you call it when the most notable thing about a player’s season is the time he went and got a hot dog from the media dining room at halftime of a game?

Shortly after the Hot Dog Imbroglio, Noel underwent surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left thumb, which knocked him out of the lineup through the All-Star break … and, more notably, the trade deadline, which came and went without any significant action on a new ZIP code for the former Kentucky standout.

With the Mavericks already well on their way to spiraling to the bottom of the Western Conference, Carlisle returned the once-again-healthy Noel to the lineup in late February. He’s still been coming off the bench, but he’s been seeing more playing time, averaging 4.9 points, 7.9 rebounds, 1.8 steals, 1.2 assists and 1.0 blocks in 20.5 minutes of playing time, shooting 51.9 percent from the field in a dozen appearances.

Dallas’ offense has cratered with Noel on the court, but the defense has stiffened considerably. On balance, since his return, the Mavs have performed a bit better when he’s played than when he’s sat. Still a bad team, but not quite as bad with Noel in the mix … albeit in a situation from which it’s tough to glean much, given that all involved in Dallas are basically playing out the string and just waiting for mid-April to come and release everybody into a long, restorative offseason.

For Noel, that release comes a bit early, with a whimpering end to a season that he hoped would establish him as a player worth building around and make him a boatload of cash. Now, he’ll enter an unrestricted free agent market in which few teams figure to have meaningful salary cap space to spend, in the context of a spread-the-floor league in which fewer and fewer teams really seem to need centers who can’t shoot.

That doesn’t mean Noel won’t have suitors. It just means finding one was already going to be tough, and that this probably doesn’t make things any easier. Now, we wait to find out just how much money this whole ordeal in Dallas cost him, and who’s willing to look past the sturm und drang of his time in Texas to take a shot at finding the player Noel and others once believed he’d become.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Damn. Should’ve taken the 4 for 70
Apr 03rd 2018
hope he fired that agent
Apr 03rd 2018
He's with Rich Paul now.
Apr 03rd 2018
Always take the money. Always.
Apr 03rd 2018
      My boy in the nba didn't take the Money/Offer from the
Apr 03rd 2018
Over? Man please. Mavs were screwing him over...
Apr 03rd 2018
Yeah I mean this means nothing and they punished him for the QO deal
Apr 03rd 2018
nah, hope the warriors pick him up on the cheap in the offseason
Apr 03rd 2018
You ever suck some dick for marijuana?
Apr 03rd 2018
LOL@career
Apr 04th 2018
i'd take him on the lakers *shrug*
Apr 04th 2018

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18628 posts
Tue Apr-03-18 04:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Damn. Should’ve taken the 4 for 70"
In response to Reply # 0

And he went and got a hot dog at halftime? Lol. How did I miss that?

Johnny
Charter member
4446 posts
Tue Apr-03-18 05:17 PM

3. "hope he fired that agent"
In response to Reply # 1

terrible idea not taking that contract

he's still very young so he'll get a job somewhere next year

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Apr-03-18 07:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "He's with Rich Paul now."
In response to Reply # 3

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86671 posts
Tue Apr-03-18 05:47 PM

4. "Always take the money. Always."
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Apr-03-18 05:48 PM by Frank Longo

ALWAYS.

Like... look. I know young athletes with high potential like Nerlens think it's as simple as "I'll ball out next year and then my NEXT contract will be HUGE!!" This is the same mindset of the college player who returns to college, thinking, "Sure, I could be a first rounder this year, but NEXT YEAR, when I ball out, I can make TOP 5 PICK MONEY! WHEEEEEEE"

These GMs are looking for reasons to pay you less. At every turn. Yes, Nerlens could've made a couple mil more had he balled out-- but injuries happen. Bad streaks happen. Chemistry with teammates can sour. Off-court issues can strike. They will hold anything and everything against you. And 70 mil in the hand is worth more than you in the bushes.

I still think Nerlens can turn it around, because he's only 23, for Christ's sake. But man. Take the money. Always. ALWAYS. Said the same thing for poor Seth Curry-- took a short, small deal in Dallas because he saw how he was playing and thought, "Shit, if I keep playing this way for two years, I'll be ROLLING in it two years from now!" Played well Year 1, 13 PPG, 42% from 3-- but the second year was so injury plagued that he didn't play a single game. Think he's getting a longer deal now? I don't.

TAKE THE MONEY. ALWAYS.

*end rant*

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Tue Apr-03-18 08:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "My boy in the nba didn't take the Money/Offer from the"
In response to Reply # 4

team that drafted him, he ended up getting a max deal from a different squad. BUT WE ALL TOLD HIM HE WAS CRAZY lol.

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Apr-03-18 04:25 PM

2. "Over? Man please. Mavs were screwing him over..."
In response to Reply # 0

so he probably huffed a L. ***shrugs***

At the very least, he'll get paid for a one year and ACTUALLY get to play and earn his money.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Apr-03-18 09:27 PM

9. "Yeah I mean this means nothing and they punished him for the QO deal"
In response to Reply # 2

He has not played well by any stretch but the things he'd get paid to do he does them well on a per-36 or per-48 basis. They buried him for taking the qualifying offer although IMO it was a suspect decision on his part. Had he been getting a total crap offer, sure, but he basically got a Tristan Thompson type contract and he had roughly Tristan Thompson type upside at that point. I wouldn't say his career is over but it's definitely trending in the wrong direction.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

sndesai1
Member since Feb 02nd 2013
1229 posts
Tue Apr-03-18 06:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "nah, hope the warriors pick him up on the cheap in the offseason"
In response to Reply # 0

his offensive game is kind of a disaster, but he's one of the best young defenders around

it seems like he just got jerked around by the mavs because cuban wanted to send a message to RFAs. no way a player they were willing to give 70 mil to suddenly turns into a consistent DNP-CD if there isn't something strange going on

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Apr-03-18 08:47 PM

8. "You ever suck some dick for marijuana?"
In response to Reply # 0

It’s weed. Who fucking cares

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Wed Apr-04-18 11:04 AM

10. "LOL@career"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85057 posts
Wed Apr-04-18 11:13 AM

11. "i'd take him on the lakers *shrug*"
In response to Reply # 0

disclaimer: i havent seen him play at all this year but from what i remember he'd probably be good for us.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2649083 Previous topic | Next topic