Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2648311

Subject: "13 NFL teams at Manziel "pro-day" should prove Kaep's case" Previous topic | Next topic
The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Wed Mar-28-18 09:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"13 NFL teams at Manziel "pro-day" should prove Kaep's case"

Combine this with the fact the Texans signed Weeden as an insurance policy if Watson isn't ready for the start of the season.

Johnny Manziel shows off arm to 13 NFL teams in workout with college receivers

Johnny Manziel has been trying to show the NFL that he’s a much more reliable person, one dedicated to his craft and no
longer the problem child who partied his way out of the league. However, he also wants everyone to know that he’s still the
same talented quarterback who won a Heisman Trophy before becoming a first-round pick, and to that end, he showed off his
arm to 13 NFL teams in a workout Thursday.

The audition took place at the University of San Diego, near a private academy run by quarterback coach George Whitfield Jr.,
with whom Manziel has been training. The university held its pro day for NFL scouts Thursday, but according to ESPN, Toreros
wide receiver Justin Priest and tight end Ross Dwelley did not have a quarterback to throw to them, so they invited Manziel,
who had tossed passes to them previously.

The occasion marked the first time NFL teams had seen Manziel throw passes in person since he was released by the Browns in
March 2016, following two seasons marked by inconsistent results on the field and immature behavior off it. For the 25-yearold,
it was another step in what he has been calling “ComebackSZN,” and he described the day as a “good” one.

During the NFL’s draft combine last month, Manziel was reported to be “in touch with multiple NFL head coaches” about
possibly returning to the league, and he said at the time he’d play “for free” just to get another chance. Among those reportedly
in attendance Thursday were representatives from the Browns, in addition to the Bears, Buccaneers, Chargers, Chiefs, Giants,
Jaguars, Jets, Lions, Panthers, Patriots, Raiders and Titans.

Presumably, those teams had an interest — possibly a primary one — in the San Diego receivers, as well, but there’s little doubt
they were using the opportunity to take a good look at Manziel. He reiterated to ESPN that his partying lifestyle is behind him,
and he is now focused on becoming a better quarterback.

“I drive down here a couple times a week and work out six days a week, and that’s pretty much the schedule,”
said Manziel, who lives in Los Angeles. “I’m a married man. I’m at home with my wife and my dogs, and I don’t have a lot of
time after that after doing six-hour training days.

“I’m happy with where things are. I think things are going well, and I couldn’t ask for a better place to be in my life right now.”
“It was good,” Dwelley said of the workout. “ spins a good ball. He saw it as a good opportunity to get his foot back in
the door, so he was all over it. So it was a good opportunity for both parties.”

“I’m sure there’s a lot of questions — rightfully so — about him. Where he is, what is his level of dedication — and can he even
throw the ball? ‘Do you even play, bro?’ ” Whitfield said with a laugh. “So he’s been working and training.”

Manziel is set to work out with Whitfield for another week before heading off to Austin, about a two-hour drive from College
Station, Tex., where he starred for Texas A&M. In Austin, Manziel will participate in the two-week Spring League, a showcase
for football players looking to latch on somewhere.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats hold Manziel’s rights in the CFL, and he has been negotiating with that team about a possible
contract. It remains to be seen if he plays in Canada, but he clearly would love another shot at the NFL, even if he understands
that his track record has caused teams to be wary of him.

“I know I’ve rubbed people the wrong way,” Manziel told ESPN. “I know there’s still people that still doubt what I’m doing and
still doubt where I’m at.

“For me, spurts in the past of being good. I’ve spurts in the past of showing promise and looking like I’m on the
right path, and when I think I get there, something else happens. That’s kind of the pattern that’s been there in the last couple
years of my life since college. So for me, the key right now is to be consistent and to continue what I’m doing day in and day
out.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
to be fair to Johnny 8-Ball, he has been very vocal in support of Kaep
Mar 28th 2018
Speaks poorly of the NFL; not throwing shade at Johnny
Mar 29th 2018
Weeden as a backup is insane
Mar 29th 2018
You know what's funny about this
Mar 29th 2018
lmao @ Brandon Weeden still being in the NFL
Mar 29th 2018
      RE: lmao @ Brandon Weeden still being in the NFL
Mar 30th 2018

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Mar-28-18 01:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "to be fair to Johnny 8-Ball, he has been very vocal in support of Kaep"
In response to Reply # 0

but damn that double standard.

tell the truth about cops, lose your job

do all the shit 8-ball did, teams line up

even Michael Vick got a better deal (despite you know...)

(btw, anyone see him in ATLANTA? hilarious)

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 08:44 AM

2. "Speaks poorly of the NFL; not throwing shade at Johnny"
In response to Reply # 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4381 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 08:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Weeden as a backup is insane"
In response to Reply # 0

Texans fans will be biting their nails all season

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 08:59 AM

4. "You know what's funny about this"
In response to Reply # 3

When Kaep's name comes up when a starter goes down, the narrative is "Well, his style doesn't fit the system."

How does Weeden's "style" fit with what the Texans do with Watson as starter?

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 02:26 PM

5. "lmao @ Brandon Weeden still being in the NFL"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu Mar-29-18 02:29 PM by Dr Claw

if he were a player of his skill level that were playing in the NBA... he'd be in the G-League

COOLEHMAGAZINE
Member since May 22nd 2007
5563 posts
Fri Mar-30-18 03:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "RE: lmao @ Brandon Weeden still being in the NFL"
In response to Reply # 5

>if he were a player of his skill level that were playing in
>the NBA... he'd be in the G-League

To be fair, the NFL has a lot more players. In a sense, Brandon Weeden IS in the G league. Anything more than third string and fans of that team have to be pretty concerned.

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos

http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2648311 Previous topic | Next topic