Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2647897

Subject: "Motorsports 2018?!" Previous topic | Next topic
upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1217 posts
Fri Mar-23-18 01:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Motorsports 2018?!"

Will this post live?

Formula 1 is starting up, and looks nice a tight at the top. This season could/should prove to be very interesting. Ricciardo never seems to get lucky at home, already has a grid penalty. No shark fins, but halos to add to the cars appearance this year.

The Moto GP season started this past weekend as good as it ended, a race long battle and a failed last corner pass attempt by Marquez on Dovi and Rossi still getting podiums, I'm really hoping Dovi bests Marquez this season.

Back to trying to get up early Sunday mornings, sometimes..

---------------------
Obviously White

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Marquez infuriates me
Mar 23rd 2018
RE: Marquez infuriates me
Mar 26th 2018
      It's hard for me to feel bad for Lorenzo....
Mar 27th 2018
           RE: It's hard for me to feel bad for Lorenzo....
Mar 27th 2018
Mar 27th 2018
Mar 28th 2018
                          From what I've read/heard...
Mar 28th 2018
Might be a good F1 year.
Mar 23rd 2018
Good lord the ESPN cokverage suckks ass....
Mar 25th 2018
Couldn't stay up. Watched highlights this afternoon.
Mar 25th 2018
RE: Good lord the ESPN cokverage suckks ass....
Mar 26th 2018
"Bill Belichick, take the air out the ball, just so I can flex..."
Mar 26th 2018
Teams mad at Haas for having a faster car than theirs.
Mar 28th 2018
They just mad Haas was faster this weekend
Mar 28th 2018
      ^^^dat drama doeeeeee
Mar 28th 2018
Shoutout to ESPN and Mothers for the Bahrain GP
Apr 08th 2018
That was weird and exciting.
Apr 08th 2018
Gasley and Toro Rosso with P4 finish
Apr 08th 2018
      RE: Gasley and Toro Rosso with P4 finish
Apr 09th 2018
           Vettel's tires were done 12 laps out
Apr 09th 2018
Raikonnen destroyed that dudes leg. Holy fuck.
Apr 08th 2018
Broken shin & fibula
Apr 08th 2018
      RE: Broken shin & fibula
Apr 09th 2018
Yup, MM is going to kill somebody
Apr 09th 2018
RE: Yup, MM is going to kill somebody
Apr 09th 2018
yooo Moto GP this weekend? The Real must be fuming
Apr 09th 2018
When Crutchlow finishes a race without crashing
Apr 09th 2018
Ricciardo is a damned racer.
Apr 15th 2018
Those overtakes were beautiful
Apr 16th 2018
      RE: Those overtakes were beautiful
Apr 17th 2018
           There is that
Apr 18th 2018

The Real
Charter member
13105 posts
Fri Mar-23-18 03:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Marquez infuriates me"
In response to Reply # 0

Kid is reckless. New year, new hate for Jorge Lorenzo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

upUPNorth
1217 posts
Mon Mar-26-18 01:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: Marquez infuriates me"
In response to Reply # 1

lol Marquez has never bothered me that much, though I was definitely against him that year Rossi should have won again! I am a Dovi fan since the 125cc days though so my tack might change on that this year. Marquez makes it work somehow, more than it should, and it makes for exciting races.

I feel kinda bad for Lorenzo sometimes, but it's not like that Ducati isn't a Championship contender anymore so it's all on him now.

---------------------
Obviously White

Vertigo
Charter member
1780 posts
Tue Mar-27-18 03:36 AM

8. "It's hard for me to feel bad for Lorenzo...."
In response to Reply # 5

Because he's... well, Lorenzo. Even when he's not trying to be a douche he just can't help it. But I said all last year, the ONLY reason he wasn't excessively whining about the Ducati was because of Dovi's performances. Otherwise he would have been RAILING against them hardcore.

Anyway, like 98% of people, I desperately want Dovi to win this year--i think we all know, it's likely this year or never. (see Pedrosa, Dani circa 3 years ago)

That said, my fav these days is definitely Zarco--i like how he doesn't accept where his "place" should be and brings it right to the factory guys...I don't care if he beats Rossi, but I hope he beats Vinanles, because Zarco deserved that factory ride more.

upUPNorth
1217 posts
Tue Mar-27-18 08:22 AM

9. "RE: It's hard for me to feel bad for Lorenzo...."
In response to Reply # 8

For sure it's a decision he made, I just get the sense it's hard to go from a Yamaha to that bike for whatever reason, if you can't learn to ride it might as well leave, but now who knows where he could go.

I always wanted to see Pedrosa do even better, little dude was so good on those little bikes.

Zarco is a joy to watch, and you could tell he had attitude in Moto 2. It's hard to fault the ride decisions from last year though, Zarco's kind of a late bloomer for the lower classes and wasn't really on the radar of the premier class, and the way Vinales started last season seemed a brilliant choice, if he could have kept that form I'd be a fan of his title lol. Sometimes those Tech 3 bikes just let their riders go all out and get whatever they can out of them however they want to ride, but then when they get the factory ride they seem to lose something, they have to ride those bikes how they want to be ridden. It'd be fun to see how these top guys might get shuffled around, talk of Zarco and HRC, could spark some interesting rider movement after this season.

---------------------
Obviously White

Vertigo
Charter member
1780 posts
Tue Mar-27-18 07:40 PM

10. "RE: It's hard for me to feel bad for Lorenzo...."
In response to Reply # 9

Maybe I'm too hard on Lorenzo, but I think he's one of those guys that thrives with the electronics...years ago Stoner said if they removed the electronics a few of the top guys wouldn't be at the top anymore. People scoffed at him when he said it, but it doesn't mean he's wrong...

but on Zarco--he's got two choices KTM Factory or HRC if he can get it. As much as I'm sure he'll want to keep his current crew when they go to KTM next year, the Honda is a winning bike RIGHT NOW, vs a project that's likely a few years away. I like Pedrosa, but at this point it's an easy decision on who has the most potential of these two. Also, can you imagine Zarco and Marquez on the same squad--I don't care what their positions are in the championship, there will never be any discussions about team orders!

upUPNorth
1217 posts
Wed Mar-28-18 01:09 PM

12. "RE: It's hard for me to feel bad for Lorenzo...."
In response to Reply # 10

I can see that, it felt during the Rossi/closed garage years the idea that Lorenzo was winning on a bike that Rossi contributed more to developing to be that good had some merit. But then Rossi never did much on the Ducati either. I don't know too much about how electronics changes things and how much it's developed recently, but I feel like it's almost a safety point now and you can't go back, it's not like F1 cars deciding on TC and SC and ABS, these bikes could throw anyone off and who knows how scary that could be on a modern machine.

I never know how to interpret Stoner statements, like he left on this judge-y tone and I don't know where his loyalties lie, I know he knows how to ride but it was all a bit odd back then.

I'd love to see KTM break into this level, they've been effective in the lower classes and know their small bikes, but Moto GP is a different beast. You can't go wrong with HRC if you can get it, that team would be scary to watch though, it would risk being like Force India last season, the team would probably start discussing team orders but neither of them would listen lol.

---------------------
Obviously White

Vertigo
Charter member
1780 posts
Wed Mar-28-18 08:54 PM

15. "From what I've read/heard..."
In response to Reply # 12
Wed Mar-28-18 08:57 PM by Vertigo

ie, some of this is rumor--Ducati wouldn't implement the BIG changes Rossi wanted (ie scrap the whole bike essentially)--so they (Rossi's camp) were forced to nibble around the edges to try and shine up a turd. Only upon his departure did they finally accept that they needed to make much, much bigger changes to the bike and their approach to design/engineering. Hence them bringing in GiGi in 2014, who essentially led them in this direction which obviously is a good package--so if all that is true, they could have done the same thing when Rossi was there, but they didn't truly accept how bad the bike was, despite the clear feedback. I dunno but it makes sense to me.

Oh, but I totally agree on TC, it would be a safety issue to remove it now. Even though some of the old guard romanticize the days of no TC, we all remember the crazy highsides that resulted--and that was when GP bikes couldn't hit 190 mph...now they're hitting what 215 or so, I for one don't want to watch carnage.

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
14822 posts
Fri Mar-23-18 07:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Might be a good F1 year."
In response to Reply # 0

Pretty excited for Haas, actually. Be hilarious if they started finishing above Ferrari.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
9787 posts
Sun Mar-25-18 08:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Good lord the ESPN cokverage suckks ass...."
In response to Reply # 0

Stayed up to watch the race this morning. A few thoughts:

1. Melbourne is a weird track to try and judge engines, but that Ferrari PP seems a few ticks faster than what Renault could manage. Team Haas made it super difficult for RB and may have stayed that way if they didn't have pit issues

2. Speaking of said issues, the entire Haas team and the pit crew in particular have to be absolutely gutted with both cars having issues with the tires after doing so well in race. I expect every single tire gun is getting replaced right now, regardless how much it costs. Not sure what kind of penalty F1 will hand down for the unsafe releases

3. Kudos to Honda for getting one of their cars to the finish line. Hartley was lapped, but still...finishing has got to be a good sign, right? Baby steps...

4. Kudos to Alonso and McLaren for the biggest points haul in years. Having Alonso in the mix is always a good thing. I will admit I think he's a bit of an ass and wasn't exactly sad when his return stint to McLaren didn't go quite as planned, but he sheer number of DNFs he had to endure with that Honda engine (even at Indy, for goodness sakes) was hard to watch. Plus, he's a hell of a driver, so can't hold that against him.

5. It will be interesting watching to see how RB/McLaren/Renault match up through the season. For all the aero superiority RB supposedly has, that McLaren was right there. Again, not the best track to tell up front, but it could be a story as the season progresses.

6. Not sure what was going on with Mad Max or Bottas. Max kept overcooking Turn 3 (or was it 4? Need to watch replays) and couldn't quite make a good run of it. The spin didn't help matters either (but fortunately there wasn't a wreck there). As for Bottas, he only managed to move up 2 spots from his start. His Q3 wreck may have spooked him a bit. Definitely hurt Mercedes in points and strategy

7. Congrats to Vettel for the win. Yes, he definitely benefited from the VSC while in the pits and likely would have finished 3rd, but that's racing. Hamilton MIGHT have been able to catch him had he not locked up then overcooked the turn, but losing close to 3 seconds at that point was probably too much to ask on that track. Let the party/smile wiping comments continue for the next 2 weeks. I'm sure Hamilton will be stewing and do his best to show out in Bahrain.

8. Mercedes may again have the strongest car in the field. Before the VSC drama, Hamilton looked to be stretching the field being at least 4 seconds clear of Kimi. I'm betting he was cruising a bit up front with no real challenge and no reason to stress the engine. He only pushed to try to build a gap for the tire change, which it didn't look like he had much problem doing. After the VSC debacle, Vettel couldn't get too far in front of Hamilton even when Hamilton made his mistake, and only built a big gap at the end once Hamilton conceded the win. Again, Melbourne isn't the best track to suss this out entirely (and Bottas' struggles from the rear don't exactly help). Time will tell.

9. F1's online race viewing can't get here soon enough. I'm not sure what feed ESPN was using but it was crap yesterday. The commercial breaks were insufferable, and the commentators couldn't tell if they were in Australia or Mexico. Fortunately I could watch a Univision feed on cable when the commercial break came through (even though I couldn't understand a bit of it). Because of the timing of the commercial block I couldn't figure out what had happened to Grosjean, as his car stopped during the commercials. Without having a localized feed or announcer crew, they didn't get back to it to tell those watching in the States what was going on (the broadcast just picked up the feed in progress). Say what you will about Hobbs, Diffey and Matchette, but not having a localized team calling the races in the States is a horrible decision by ESPN. If they don't figure out a way to fix it, and fast, I will stream the race.

See everybody in Bahrain!

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Buck
14822 posts
Sun Mar-25-18 04:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Couldn't stay up. Watched highlights this afternoon."
In response to Reply # 3

>5. It will be interesting watching to see how
>RB/McLaren/Renault match up through the season. For all the
>aero superiority RB supposedly has, that McLaren was right
>there. Again, not the best track to tell up front, but it
>could be a story as the season progresses.

It'd be fantastic if this didn't turn out to be 2 clear tiers, with McLaren, Renault, and perhaps Haas legitimate podium contenders. Gonna be all about development, I reckon.

>9. F1's online race viewing can't get here soon enough. I'm
>not sure what feed ESPN was using but it was crap yesterday.
>The commercial breaks were insufferable, and the commentators
>couldn't tell if they were in Australia or Mexico. Fortunately
>I could watch a Univision feed on cable when the commercial
>break came through (even though I couldn't understand a bit of
>it). Because of the timing of the commercial block I couldn't
>figure out what had happened to Grosjean, as his car stopped
>during the commercials. Without having a localized feed or
>announcer crew, they didn't get back to it to tell those
>watching in the States what was going on (the broadcast just
>picked up the feed in progress). Say what you will about
>Hobbs, Diffey and Matchette, but not having a localized team
>calling the races in the States is a horrible decision by
>ESPN. If they don't figure out a way to fix it, and fast, I
>will stream the race.

I am unsurprised ESPN sucks. I generally find a Sky stream, but yeah, man, I'd happily pay for that official stream, if it ever comes. Who are the ESPN commentators, anyway?

upUPNorth
1217 posts
Mon Mar-26-18 01:19 PM

6. "RE: Good lord the ESPN cokverage suckks ass...."
In response to Reply # 3

The Ferrarri's apparently topped every speed trap in the sessions before the race, so the engine is definitely working in that sense.

I've almost forgotten Honda's still in it, not the same exposure in that team.

Hamilton's luck in the race in Australia has got to come up soon. He's literally topped every other session for the past few years without a win there, he's pretty much the faster driver there, his pole lap was ridiculous, you could sense it, I just laughed when his time popped up across the line. It's never been a problem for him to bounce back from it though, so it almost feels normal. They did talk about the VSC thing a lot, it's happened before and could again to anyone, in general though I wouldn't mind if a rule change prevented it in the future, I don't know how those talks work behind closed doors.

---------------------
Obviously White

ThaTruth
Charter member
85945 posts
Mon Mar-26-18 01:21 PM

7. ""Bill Belichick, take the air out the ball, just so I can flex...""
In response to Reply # 0

"June 16th, 1971, Mama gave birth to a hell-raisin' heavenly son..."

2014 DAMALI Football Pool Champion

Buck
14822 posts
Wed Mar-28-18 09:36 AM

11. "Teams mad at Haas for having a faster car than theirs."
In response to Reply # 0

McLaren especially need to take a long look in the mirror before they go down this road...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rivals-call-for-haas-ferrari-relationship-investigation-1019469/

Force India and McLaren want the Haas Formula 1 team’s technical relationship with Ferrari investigated after questioning the American team’s “magic” performance.

Haas locked out the third row of the grid in qualifying for the season-opening Australian Grand Prix and ran fourth and fifth ahead of Red Bull before pitstop mistakes condemned Kevin Magnussen and Romain Grosjean to retirement.

It triggered fresh questions over Haas's working relationship with Ferrari, which supplies the team with parts it does not need to build itself but also allows Dallara, Haas's chassis partner, to use its windtunnel.

F1's sporting regulations strictly forbid the passing on or receiving of information on parts teams are supposed to produce themselves, a move also designed to stop personnel being rotated between projects.
Force India chief operating officer Otmar Szafnauer wants the application of those restrictions discussed in the next meeting of F1's Strategy Group.

"I don't know how they do it, it's magic," he said. "It's never been done before in Formula 1.

"I just don't know how it can be right that someone who's been in the sport for a couple of years with no resource could produce a car … does it happen by magic? 

"If it does, I want the wand."

McLaren driver Fernando Alonso labelled the 2018 Haas a "Ferrari replica" in Melbourne, and his team's executive director Zak Brown told Motorsport.com it was "something that needs to be looked at closely". 

Haas driver Romain Grosjean said the use of Ferrari's front suspension, which the regulations allow, would naturally dictate the major aerodynamic design points because of the way the air flows over the rest of the car.  

Brown admitted "I don't have any evidence" to suggest Haas was not operating within the rules, but said: "We all know they have a very close alliance with Ferrari and I think we just need to make sure it's not too close.

"There could be some influence, there's certainly some parts of the car that look very similar to last year's car. 

"But that's for the engineers and the FIA to look at more closely."
Brown and Szafnauer both said multiple teams would support a clarification over the Ferrari/Haas arrangement. 

Szafnauer said he wanted the FIA to explain the process for ensuring the guidelines were being respected. 

"All the aerodynamic surfaces have to be your own," he said. "If they're not, I don't know how you can tell unless you start investigating. 

"Scrutineering only tells you that it fits within the boxes of the regulations. 

"Is it yours or somebody else's ? That's the real question. And I don't know the answer to that. 

"Maybe it is their own, it's just suspect - how can you gain that knowledge without history and the right tools and people?"

Asked by Motorsport.com on the Ferrari comments earlier in the weekend, Steiner said: "We have a team that can be proud of what it is achieving at the moment. 

"We are not doing anything we shouldn't be doing or not allowed to do."

spenzalii
9787 posts
Wed Mar-28-18 02:27 PM

13. "They just mad Haas was faster this weekend"
In response to Reply # 11

What would F1 be without a good round of conspiracy?

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

Rjcc
Charter member
87752 posts
Wed Mar-28-18 06:44 PM

14. "^^^dat drama doeeeeee"
In response to Reply # 13

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

spenzalii
9787 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 11:22 AM

16. "Shoutout to ESPN and Mothers for the Bahrain GP"
In response to Reply # 0

So far they haven't cut to commercial and just broadcast the Sky Sports feed uninterrupted. As much crap as I'm sure they took from last race, it's good to see them changing course. Had we missed Kimi's disastrous pit stop (more after the race) I'd have been livid

Buck
14822 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 12:51 PM

17. "That was weird and exciting."
In response to Reply # 0

Was running errands this AM, got home around lap 7, both RBRs already out. Not the path to the constructor's championship, that one.

Last lap battle was cool, though Bottas really only had the one shot at it.

Didn't see the Kimi pit thing when it happened, but since Sky never showed a replay, figured it must have been pretty bad. Glad it's just a broken leg.

Eight different teams in the points today. Badass.

spenzalii
9787 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 06:53 PM

20. "Gasley and Toro Rosso with P4 finish"
In response to Reply # 17

Fantastic race on his part. Honda has to be happy with the pace and reliability this race. Beating McLaren was just the icing on the cake. I'd love to see Gasley and Alonso fighting for points this season (though I'm sure that's taking things a bit far at the moment).

Not sure what's up at Red Bull though. Max was out of sorts again this race and Ricciardo looked to have a system shutdown. Double DNF does no favors in the drivers or constructor's challenge for RB. And while I love the fact that Max gambles on the track and can pull of a ridiculous pass, his youth is still working against him a bit as knowing when to go for it is still an issue.

Hamilton did what he could to limit the damage to Vettel after the grid penalty. Seemed there was some communication issues between the team so he didn't know how much he needed to push. Bottas could have caught Vettel at the end but he didn't start his charge until 2 laps too late from the look of it. Interestingly, Kimi's unfortunate retirement may have given Ferrari the win. They may have tried to do a 2 stop with Vettel, but with Kimi out and both Mercedes on mediums, Vettel had no choice but to stay out there and manage his tires the best he could.

upUPNorth
1217 posts
Mon Apr-09-18 10:05 AM

25. "RE: Gasley and Toro Rosso with P4 finish"
In response to Reply # 20

I wish Bottas could have caught him, if only for the points difference, but I don't really know if the medium tire could've gone much faster, it seems like they needed the soft to fall off sooner for Vettel.

---------------------
Obviously White

spenzalii
9787 posts
Mon Apr-09-18 03:26 PM

26. "Vettel's tires were done 12 laps out"
In response to Reply # 25

They have the onboard of Bottas chasing Vettel down the last 2 laps. That rear end was a sneeze away from breaking loose. If Vettel wasn't a vet at this he surely would have went off. Like, if the drivers were reversed, I'm sure Vettel would have caught Bottas. But Mercedes didn't push sooner once it was clear Vettel wasn't going to pit.

I get there's a plan for managing the various parts of the car and formulas and deltas that have been worked over, but sometimes you have to trust your gut and just get the hammer down. Bottas could have caught him, and Hamilton possibly could have tussled for 2nd. But it was not to be. Vettel was quite fortunate to win both races so far. We'll see how the next 19 go

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
75285 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 01:10 PM

18. "Raikonnen destroyed that dudes leg. Holy fuck. "
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

spenzalii
9787 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 06:38 PM

19. "Broken shin & fibula"
In response to Reply # 18

That was brutal to watch. Here's hoping for a full recovery. The wheel didn't release at all, and Kimi took off with 3 new and 1 old tire. Not sure if Ferrari will be penalized for an unsafe release (but considering the tire never came off and someone got hurt I don't see how they won't be hit)

upUPNorth
1217 posts
Mon Apr-09-18 09:46 AM

21. "RE: Broken shin & fibula"
In response to Reply # 19

50,000 euros, and apparently they had an unsafe release in a practice session this weekend too. He seems to get caught up in some of the worst pit incidents. I wonder why that tire never came off though.

---------------------
Obviously White

The Real
Charter member
13105 posts
Mon Apr-09-18 09:49 AM

22. "Yup, MM is going to kill somebody"
In response to Reply # 0

His antics all weekend were reckless. Then he blamed the BS he pulled with Rossi as "bad conditions."

I'm really beginning to loath this dude.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

upUPNorth
1217 posts
Mon Apr-09-18 10:00 AM

24. "RE: Yup, MM is going to kill somebody"
In response to Reply # 22
Mon Apr-09-18 10:02 AM by upUPNorth

lol I just wrote my message while you were it seems. I don't disagree with you. I have to hope it calms down, but that means there's going to have to be some serious discussions among people that don't want to talk. It's going to be some kind of viewing if he just runs away with it in Texas again.

---------------------
Obviously White

upUPNorth
1217 posts
Mon Apr-09-18 09:57 AM

23. "yooo Moto GP this weekend? The Real must be fuming"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't think I can explain in words what happened on that starting grid, but it was fascinating. And then the rest of the race, with Marquez's madness. I mean, he deserves every penalty he got, possibly more because it does boil down to some unnecessary recklessness, but the fact that he was also pretty much in another league and 2 seconds faster than everyone else feels weird, like he also 'deserved' to win. I don't know if another season of Marquez/Rossi drama is good for the sport or me again, it was intense viewing the first time a couple years ago.

lol at Crutchlow thinking he was expected to beat Marquez in a normal race. Good on him for his win, but his interviews are hilarious. The top of the table is amazing, for the F1 boys its kind of like if two or three of the Force India/Toro Rosso/Haas teams were actually top 3 in the constructors championship and one of their drivers was leading the Championship after Bahrain right now. It won't last, but still.

---------------------
Obviously White

The Real
Charter member
13105 posts
Mon Apr-09-18 08:38 PM

27. "When Crutchlow finishes a race without crashing"
In response to Reply # 23

It should be an automatic podium.

Buck
14822 posts
Sun Apr-15-18 07:43 PM

28. "Ricciardo is a damned racer."
In response to Reply # 0

spenzalii
9787 posts
Mon Apr-16-18 12:34 PM

29. "Those overtakes were beautiful"
In response to Reply # 28

Kudos to RB for taking advantage of the SC and switching tires. That was the difference, as Vettel and Bottas couldn't do anything with the grip Danny had. You could argue on when the SC came out they didn't have the opportunity to hit the pits (and you'd be right) but that's racing. In any case, kudos go to Danny with that blazing drive, especially considering they nearly didn't make the last qualifier with that turbo rebuild.

Mercedes isn't off to a great start this season. You could argue 3 unfortunate instances or say one in Australia, bad pit wall management in Bahrain (and Lewis taking a grid penalty), and poor qualifying and bad SC timing this week. Hamilton in particular didn't have much going this past weekend for whatever reason. No doom and gloom yet, but they need to right the ship, and soon.

Another week, another Max incident. Personally, I'm happy with his tangle with Vettel insofar as Hamilton got to pick up a few points, but still... nobody needs this from Verstappen. He needs to calm down and watch how Danny can take similar chances and still keep the racing clean.Hopefully someone will get in his ear before the next race.

Alonso has more points in 3 races than he did the entire season last year. Chew on that...

Buck
14822 posts
Tue Apr-17-18 07:31 AM

30. "RE: Those overtakes were beautiful"
In response to Reply # 29

>Another week, another Max incident. Personally, I'm happy with
>his tangle with Vettel insofar as Hamilton got to pick up a
>few points, but still... nobody needs this from Verstappen. He
>needs to calm down and watch how Danny can take similar
>chances and still keep the racing clean.Hopefully someone will
>get in his ear before the next race.

Evidently his dad did, but honestly, I don't want him to change. Sport needs more guys who take chances, even if they're bad ones. The reason the race turned out the way it did was largely because Max did something stupid. More guys doing stupid things = more exciting races.

>Alonso has more points in 3 races than he did the entire
>season last year. Chew on that...

Yeah, but RBR just won with the same engine. The engine was what was supposed to be holding McLaren back, not the chassis design.

spenzalii
9787 posts
Wed Apr-18-18 02:15 PM

31. "There is that"
In response to Reply # 30

As it stands, it looks like Alonso will be scraping with the Renault, Haas and Force India teams moreso than the top 3, at least in this stage.

Still, he's got points.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2647897 Previous topic | Next topic