Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2647873

Subject: "Dear OKS, You're welcome. The 2018 MLS Post" Previous topic | Next topic
Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Fri Mar-23-18 09:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Dear OKS, You're welcome. The 2018 MLS Post"

I guess that now Zlatan has signed, the LA Galaxy may finally have a buzz around them. Not bad business to get him on a free transfer at less than DP money. Unfortunately only teams in the glamour locales can get away with this.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
do they have any one to get him service?
Mar 23rd 2018
Sebastian Lletget?
Mar 23rd 2018
Gio Dos Santos (*snicker*) + Allessandrini is actually really good
Mar 29th 2018
Is that Greg Van der Wiel guy Toronto signed good?
Mar 23rd 2018
he was a big flop in europe
Mar 23rd 2018
lolol so that's what VDW is up to these days
Mar 23rd 2018
well he's a defender
Mar 23rd 2018
oh NOW ya'll wanna be down? LOL
Mar 23rd 2018
MLS has a chance in this CCL.
Mar 23rd 2018
      all hail mighty, mighty TAM
Mar 29th 2018
imagining fat-ass Sigi Schmid telling Zlatan to run more...
Mar 29th 2018
yo
Mar 31st 2018
one of the wildest regular season games you'll ever see in MLS
Mar 31st 2018
+ the game-winner was totes offsides, but such is the power of Zlatan
Mar 31st 2018
not that i was doubting Ibra, but my goodness
Apr 01st 2018
Speechless...
Apr 01st 2018
Toronto FC 3 - 1 Club América (CCL semis first leg)
Apr 04th 2018
The Black Soccer Culture No One Knew Existed (video)
Apr 04th 2018
Atlanta United really has me caring about soccer.
Apr 04th 2018
FM is alarmingly addictive
Apr 04th 2018
i played it for a week
Apr 04th 2018
yo this is truly what's great about MLS, just having a club of your own
Apr 07th 2018
If ATL had existed in 2006, i'd be all in
Apr 04th 2018
Chivas 1 - 0 NY Red Bulls (CCL semis 1st leg)
Apr 05th 2018
RE: Chivas 1 - 0 NY Red Bulls (CCL semis 1st leg)
Apr 05th 2018
      RE: Chivas 1 - 0 NY Red Bulls (CCL semis 1st leg)
Apr 05th 2018
shout out to Andrew Farrell getting his first career goal after 159 gms
Apr 07th 2018
wow Dynamo-Galaxy sold out, tix going for $80+ on Stubhub
Apr 07th 2018
NY Reds Bulls 0 - 0 Chivas (agg 0 - 1)
Apr 10th 2018
Club America 1 - 1 Toronto FC (agg 2 - 4)
Apr 11th 2018
RE: Club America 1 - 1 Toronto FC (agg 2 - 4)
Apr 12th 2018
Got dammit
Apr 16th 2018
Toronto FC 1 - 2 Chivas (CCL Final first leg)
Apr 18th 2018
RE: Toronto FC 1 - 2 Chivas (CCL Final first leg)
Apr 18th 2018
Chivas 1 - 2 Toronto FC (3 - 3 agg) (4 - 2 pk)
Apr 26th 2018
We came close :(
Apr 26th 2018
17 yr old Alphonso Davies to FC Bayern Munich for $23M
Jul 26th 2018
all 100 Bradley Wright-Phillips goals for RBNY (video)
Jul 26th 2018
I don't know what I think about Bacari Sagna signing for Montreal
Aug 09th 2018
All hail King Josef
Aug 27th 2018
Peace Deuce
Aug 29th 2018
american GOAT
Aug 29th 2018
yup
Aug 30th 2018
need more like him
Aug 30th 2018
end of an era
Aug 30th 2018
2018 MLS Champions New York Red Bulls!!!
Oct 29th 2018
Unbelievably pissed with ATLUTD
Oct 29th 2018
Much better performance in the playoffs to say the least
Dec 08th 2018
      Glad for Brad
Dec 10th 2018

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Fri Mar-23-18 10:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "do they have any one to get him service?"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

jrocc
Charter member
6505 posts
Fri Mar-23-18 12:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Sebastian Lletget?"
In response to Reply # 1

gonna say he's probably the guy off the top of my head. can't really think of anyone else on their squad who could fill that role of reliable service guy.

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 05:57 PM

9. "Gio Dos Santos (*snicker*) + Allessandrini is actually really good"
In response to Reply # 1

The question is going to be if they're able to get the ball out of the back / through the midfield for any of that to make a difference. I'm no convinced Zlatan, post-injury, will be a slam dunk on a relative island in this league any more, but let me be clear -- Zlatan dominating via intelligence against the average backline and elite technique won't shock me, either. Just not quite the sure thing that some of these mid to late 20s signings (shout out to Carlos Vela) have been.

HOPE!
https://vine.co/v/i7JjIBL3Qix
https://vine.co/v/i7JtqEFwxDu

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Fri Mar-23-18 11:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Is that Greg Van der Wiel guy Toronto signed good?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-23-18 11:02 AM by Heinz

I don't know soccer like that lol but the city is excited about it

----------

IG @h_n_z

BrooklynWHAT
85056 posts
Fri Mar-23-18 11:27 AM

3. "he was a big flop in europe"
In response to Reply # 2

i remember he was very hyped at one point. he might be good in MLS though.

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Fri Mar-23-18 03:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "lolol so that's what VDW is up to these days"
In response to Reply # 3

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

jrocc
Charter member
6505 posts
Fri Mar-23-18 12:20 PM

6. "well he's a defender"
In response to Reply # 2

so he's not going to be called on to score goals on a regular basis or anything like that. he's considered a decent addition to an already good team. he's not going to be expected to be the star player so without all that pressure he can probably just play his game and do well. Toronto swept all the major domestic trophies last year (Canadian Championship, Supporters Shield, MLS Cup) so they're pretty stacked already. I don't think they paid a lot for him so it's a pretty good player on a decent deal.

jrocc
Charter member
6505 posts
Fri Mar-23-18 12:09 PM

4. "oh NOW ya'll wanna be down? LOL"
In response to Reply # 0

nah but for real, the Zlatan deal is a good look for the Galaxy. they were in danger of being upstaged by LAFC. if The Zlatan can stay healthy it could be really good. he can definitely put some butts in the seats around the league. I think it also says a lot about MLS that this is not more of a big deal. the recent influx of young talent into the league has been nothing short of impressive.

back to my Red Bulls though ... we doing big things in CONCACAF Champions League. we knocked off Tijuana pretty convincingly and i'm excited to see how far we can go. Chivas is up next and it should be fun.

also shoutout to Toronto FC who's playing well in CCL too. that free kick goal by Giovinco against Tigres was a monster.

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Fri Mar-23-18 02:28 PM

7. "MLS has a chance in this CCL."
In response to Reply # 4

That would be really nice for a change.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

celery77
25307 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 06:05 PM

10. "all hail mighty, mighty TAM"
In response to Reply # 7

the middle of the rosters have come a long, long way in a short amount of time.

HOPE!

celery77
25307 posts
Thu Mar-29-18 06:16 PM

11. "imagining fat-ass Sigi Schmid telling Zlatan to run more..."
In response to Reply # 0

is the funniest thing in the world to me.

I'm down, that's the image I call to mind -- whale Sigi, gut blocking out any sunlight below the waistline, a man who plainly hasn't touched a treadmill since treadmills were invented, whose playing pedigree is top flight college soccer, at GK no less (if I'm not mistaken), yelling "GODDAMMIT ZLATAN, SHOW SOME HUSTLE!"

Nice, big bright smile...

HOPE!

celery77
25307 posts
Sat Mar-31-18 03:42 PM

12. "yo"
In response to Reply # 0

I told you Carlos Vela was good

HOPE!

celery77
25307 posts
Sat Mar-31-18 03:58 PM

13. "one of the wildest regular season games you'll ever see in MLS"
In response to Reply # 12

hopefully we'll never find out how many virgins Fox execs sacrificed to their pagan gods to produce March mid-day television like that. Don Garber must feel like he's getting laid on prom night for the first time all over again.

HOPE!

celery77
25307 posts
Sat Mar-31-18 04:01 PM

14. "+ the game-winner was totes offsides, but such is the power of Zlatan"
In response to Reply # 12

HOPE!

jrocc
Charter member
6505 posts
Sun Apr-01-18 12:19 PM

15. "not that i was doubting Ibra, but my goodness"
In response to Reply # 0

that as impressive.

https://youtu.be/J15vfXqnwWw

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Sun Apr-01-18 11:08 PM

16. "Speechless..."
In response to Reply # 15

Like...that first goal is magnificent.

You couldn't have scripted it better.

jrocc
Charter member
6505 posts
Wed Apr-04-18 10:10 AM

17. "Toronto FC 3 - 1 Club América (CCL semis first leg)"
In response to Reply # 0

highlights: https://youtu.be/q9aZwk9ZbNA

jrocc
Charter member
6505 posts
Wed Apr-04-18 11:20 AM

18. "The Black Soccer Culture No One Knew Existed (video)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/cuAytnDGKMQ

Doc Catalyst
Member since Nov 24th 2008
189 posts
Wed Apr-04-18 09:42 PM

19. "Atlanta United really has me caring about soccer."
In response to Reply # 18

More than the Hawks (dat tank). Almost as much as the Braves. Years ago that would be an insane thing for me to say.

I saw how many people loved soccer more due to being in South Korea during the World Cup there in 2002 but still wasn't my thing. I kinda kept tabs on the EPL here and there ("is that Henry dude good? Oh it's pronounced THAT way") but it was kinda hard for me to get invested in a team from a place I'd never been to and having to get up early every weekend. I've gotten hype during USMNT matches during the World Cup but that was a lot of the whole patriotism that sweeps everybody during that time.

Then came Atlanta United and now I'm playing Football Manager (best way to understand MLS rule structure with GAM, TAM, different drafts, etc.), yelling at my TV whenever Leandro González Pírez commits another dumb ass decision, and was using Twitter's translate function on transfer rumor tweets to see who AUFC could get in the next transfer window (#BarcoWatch was fun).

Having something close to home I can cheer on with (and eventually frustrate me in the playoffs) the Falcons, Braves, and Hawks really upped the investment factor in the sport for me. I'll still watch the big Champions League matches and I'm under no impression that MLS is anything near the level of the big leagues but I think I finally "get" soccer (on the club level anyway) now because Atlanta United is here.

BrooklynWHAT
85056 posts
Wed Apr-04-18 10:28 PM

20. "FM is alarmingly addictive"
In response to Reply # 19

i played it for a summer in college and i refuse to EVER play it again. one more game turned into refreshing the game during every moment i wasn't out hanging out w/ friends or asleep.

i ended up having to sabotage my in-game career just to quit.

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Wed Apr-04-18 11:34 PM

21. "i played it for a week"
In response to Reply # 20

shit was like heroin

i deleted it and vowed to never play it again.

celery77
25307 posts
Sat Apr-07-18 10:24 AM

26. "yo this is truly what's great about MLS, just having a club of your own"
In response to Reply # 19

I really think the right analogy is that it's like really rooting / caring for a college team, if you ever feel the need to defend it. Nobody is seriously going to say that LSU is as good as the Patriots, but everybody gets that it's perfectly fun for people to love LSU.

And I don't know how Atlanta is, but part of the fun of MLS is that the athletes aren't on this other-worldly level and you can still just enjoy a hard-working middle tier guy because they're living lives not too different from us. During the Timbers off-week, I just randomly ran into Marco Farfan, our homegworn LB, getting lunch at the same wing spot as me. When Tyler Miller became famous for the wrong reasons for Zlatan hosing that ball past him, I had a pang of pain with the excitement because I've actually spent an evening or two playing video games with that guy online.

So yeah, getting the soccer culture kicking off in your area code is a pleasure that you just can't get watching early morning EPL. Aggressive expansion is a tricky road to navigate, but overall I think it's great as more people discover the fun of being able to follow local futbol.

HOPE!

hardware
42304 posts
Wed Apr-04-18 11:35 PM

22. "If ATL had existed in 2006, i'd be all in"
In response to Reply # 18

only reason i'm with Houston is because they were the closest thing to a Southern team

ATL is definitely my EC team tho.

jrocc
Charter member
6505 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 07:45 AM

23. "Chivas 1 - 0 NY Red Bulls (CCL semis 1st leg)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/O0ppTo1VoEk

we got robbed! very clear handball in the box by Chivas. should have been a penalty kick. all good. next game in RBA next week.

upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1695 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 08:45 AM

24. "RE: Chivas 1 - 0 NY Red Bulls (CCL semis 1st leg)"
In response to Reply # 23

That's not a bad start for you guys in Mexico, getting yourself the second home game both times is solid, winning both legs last time was big but obviously harder to do at this stage. Gotta be wary of the away goal.

I'm happy with TFCs result, better than against Tigres and hopefully with that experience in Mexico last time we can handle the second leg just as well. I don't know how much harder playing in that stadium is going to be, I really hope they can't sell out all those seats like it's a world cup game or something.

---------------------
Obviously White

jrocc
Charter member
6505 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 10:25 AM

25. "RE: Chivas 1 - 0 NY Red Bulls (CCL semis 1st leg)"
In response to Reply # 24

i'm not mad at the result at all. it's definitely manageable. wish we could have gotten that away goal though.

I don't think Club America packs out the Azteca like the national team does. it's probably the most full when they play Chivas, but otherwise it's probably not even half full. mind you that's still impressive since it's like a 90,000 seat stadium.

celery77
25307 posts
Sat Apr-07-18 10:28 AM

27. "shout out to Andrew Farrell getting his first career goal after 159 gms"
In response to Reply # 0

just randomly put NE v. MTL on the desktop while I was killing some time last night and caught that goal. what's funny is that I didn't know the stat (had the sound off) but you could tell that the guy was reaaaaally excited and almost emotional about getting the 2nd against a 10-man team, every person was coming up to congratulate him and the pile was going on a long time, I could just figure out it was probably his first ever. Love moments like that.

HOPE!

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Sat Apr-07-18 05:46 PM

28. "wow Dynamo-Galaxy sold out, tix going for $80+ on Stubhub"
In response to Reply # 0

was thinking about doing my yearly appearance at the BBVA but that's gonna be a hard pass from me lol

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

jrocc
Charter member
6505 posts
Tue Apr-10-18 09:35 PM

29. "NY Reds Bulls 0 - 0 Chivas (agg 0 - 1)"
In response to Reply # 0

sooo close for the Red Bulls. not sure i've seen so many balls skim across the face of goal in my life. can't be too mad, we had a good run. reaaally wanted this one though. definitely stings more than the Open Cup loss in the final last year.

jrocc
Charter member
6505 posts
Wed Apr-11-18 06:49 AM

30. "Club America 1 - 1 Toronto FC (agg 2 - 4)"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-11-18 06:51 AM by jrocc

highlights: https://youtu.be/AY2y-xenu9w

shout out to Toronto FC. if they pull this off, i'm not sure it can be topped. i think beating Tigres (best club) and Club America (biggest club) is impressive enough. they'll probably still be considered underdogs for the final but they're playing great right now.

upUPNorth
1695 posts
Thu Apr-12-18 08:01 AM

31. "RE: Club America 1 - 1 Toronto FC (agg 2 - 4)"
In response to Reply # 30

We've been playing pretty well in Mexico, I've been hating the weather up here but I almost want it to stay cold if Chivas don't like that lol.

I was hoping we'd get the second leg, I don't know if the Finals are decided differently, but if it's like the previous rounds that means they consider their 1-0 better than our 4-2, which feels debatable lol.

I don't think Canada's networks aired the Red Bulls game, Chivas managing it in New York worries me slightly if they're more disciplined. It would have been cool for MLS if we kept MX out of the Finals, but I'll enjoy it if we can take all these MX teams in a row. Club World Cup here we come!

---------------------
Obviously White

Doc Catalyst
189 posts
Mon Apr-16-18 11:50 AM

32. "Got dammit"
In response to Reply # 0

1 point is better than nothing and NYC is a damn good team but fuck I wanted more than that. Was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Not a great Josef game but you deal with it cause he buries shit other times. Good to see Barco, hopefully he gets use to the fact that other teams are going to be physical as hell towards him. I love Miggy but I wish he was more confident with his other foot shooting.

jrocc
Charter member
6505 posts
Wed Apr-18-18 06:59 AM

33. "Toronto FC 1 - 2 Chivas (CCL Final first leg)"
In response to Reply # 0

highlights: https://youtu.be/D37CpZEWjDw

upUPNorth
1695 posts
Wed Apr-18-18 01:12 PM

34. "RE: Toronto FC 1 - 2 Chivas (CCL Final first leg)"
In response to Reply # 33

That was disappointing to watch last night. Bono has been amazing for us up to this point, but lets that second goal get over him when it really shouldn't have. I could forgive the slow start if they recovered better. Jozy and Gio didn't seem quite on their game, some chances were there but weren't taken.

And that Chivas team did look like the best team we've come up against to me more than the previous two MX teams. Everyone made a big deal about them being bad in the Closura now but they clearly play solid all around Soccer and are focused on this tournament. It feels like the dynamic changed, TFC may have went in feeling more confident and Chivas probably showed us more respect than the previous teams. That was one of the fairest games I've seen played, one yellow for a time-wasting throw I think, the calls I wish went our way are mostly out of team bias and were probably fair calls, Chivas were there to play soccer and you could sense the respect and lack of BS.

I can only hope our offensive prowess actually benefits from a better field and weather in Mexico next week and we can break them down if they try to park it.

---------------------
Obviously White

jrocc
Charter member
6505 posts
Thu Apr-26-18 06:41 AM

35. "Chivas 1 - 2 Toronto FC (3 - 3 agg) (4 - 2 pk)"
In response to Reply # 0

Highlights: https://youtu.be/ww3Iuv8TP-Y

upUPNorth
1695 posts
Thu Apr-26-18 07:39 AM

36. "We came close :("
In response to Reply # 35

Won in Mexico, but lost the Championship.

I feel like Delgado's always putting stuff over the bar, should've won it. And I can see why America likes to boo Bradley after that pk lol.

I'm proud of them though, hopefully we can come back next year and win it like the MLS Cup. Now our starters have to show our league who's boss.

---------------------
Obviously White

jrocc
Charter member
6505 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 07:16 AM

37. "17 yr old Alphonso Davies to FC Bayern Munich for $23M"
In response to Reply # 0

record MLS transfer fee (Alphonso gets $13M). Alphonso will stay at Vancouver for the rest of the season.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3573807/bayern-munich-sign-canadian-teen-alphonso-davies-in-mls-record-deal

jrocc
Charter member
6505 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 07:19 AM

38. "all 100 Bradley Wright-Phillips goals for RBNY (video)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/h3lfrMW7MUU

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Thu Aug-09-18 06:08 PM

39. "I don't know what I think about Bacari Sagna signing for Montreal"
In response to Reply # 0

Like, I don't think it's bad, but I don't know how much dude has left in the tank. But him going to a French speaking location isn't a bad deal at all.

Doc Catalyst
189 posts
Mon Aug-27-18 06:29 PM

40. "All hail King Josef"
In response to Reply # 0

The Atlanta Sports Fan Dread will come around playoff time but it's been great to see a season like this up close.

Need the New York clubs to stumble a bit for more breathing room that should already be there if not for dropping points at home this season.

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 02:11 PM

41. "Peace Deuce"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks for the memories. You'll truly be missed.

BrooklynWHAT
85056 posts
Wed Aug-29-18 02:15 PM

42. "american GOAT"
In response to Reply # 41

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Thu Aug-30-18 02:38 PM

45. "yup"
In response to Reply # 42

jrocc
Charter member
6505 posts
Thu Aug-30-18 11:00 AM

43. "need more like him"

the combination of talent and swagger that he brought to the game is unmatched. great career.

hardware
42304 posts
Thu Aug-30-18 01:48 PM

44. "end of an era"

jrocc
Charter member
6505 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 01:12 PM

46. "2018 MLS Champions New York Red Bulls!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

at least that's what i'm calling it. MLS Supporter's Shield Winners always sounded strange to me, but i digress.

most points in league history - 71
first team to crack 70 points
most wins in a season - 22 (not counting shootout era)
most points at home in league history - 44

fantastic regular season!!! on to to playoffs.

Doc Catalyst
189 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 03:09 PM

47. "Unbelievably pissed with ATLUTD"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-29-18 03:10 PM by Doc Catalyst

The biggest games of the season have been some of the most flattest, lethargic performances this season. Just horrid defending for a team looking to win a trophy. Guess this goes in the Atlanta Sports Bin.

*sigh*

Congrats to RBNY. They were better head to head and stepped up when necessary.

Onward to the playoffs. Hopefully Tata has had enough of McCann starting (doubt it though).

Doc Catalyst
189 posts
Sat Dec-08-18 11:19 PM

48. "Much better performance in the playoffs to say the least"
In response to Reply # 47

Please build a Josef Martinez statue.

Maybe losing the Supporters Shield was the shock they needed. Escobar was HUGE this postseason. Really going to miss Miggy and his workrate. Hope they pick a good successor to Tata.

Don't know how to feel. I basically started laughing like the Joker when the Game ended. This whole championship thing is new.

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18750 posts
Mon Dec-10-18 08:54 AM

49. "Glad for Brad"
In response to Reply # 48

That dude got a raw deal his last year at Villa, so I'm glad to see him succeed, even if it is over my favorite two MLS sides in succession.

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2647873 Previous topic | Next topic