Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2643909

Subject: "JJ Redick on that summer jam screen" Previous topic | Next topic
falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4381 posts
Sun Feb-18-18 10:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"JJ Redick on that summer jam screen"

https://streamable.com/4m6jg

????

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
mistake or not, his callous response isn't helping...
Feb 18th 2018
so natural...
Feb 18th 2018
Wtf? I'm so confused. Who aired this?
Feb 18th 2018
Didn't he call his ex-girlfriend a Spic a few years ago?
Feb 18th 2018
WOW. Kind of suspect that I hear about this today
Feb 18th 2018
Doesn’t appear that was his intent of course.
Feb 18th 2018
Mannnnnnnnnn
Feb 18th 2018
he said that like it's the only word he knows for Chinese people
Feb 19th 2018
Duke
Feb 19th 2018
whaaaaat
Feb 19th 2018
I'mma let his explanation rock.
Feb 19th 2018
Lol whaaaaaat?
Feb 19th 2018
from what i call he's had some pretty insightful takes...
Feb 19th 2018
      What makes you think he gets it? Wtf are you talking about?
Feb 20th 2018
           what are you confused about it.
Feb 20th 2018
                what does that have to do with slipping up and saying chinks?
Feb 20th 2018
                     look, i'm not Chinese, obviously...
Feb 20th 2018
                          you keep talking about his general racial awareness? what are you talkin...
Feb 20th 2018
                          Won’t allow you to think he would say a slur?
Feb 20th 2018
                               it has nothing to do with privilege.
Feb 20th 2018
                                    LOLZ
Feb 20th 2018
                                    Thats privilege
Feb 20th 2018
                                         This is my last comment because we're going in circles.
Feb 20th 2018
Lmao.. that privilege is a mutha
Feb 20th 2018
not to cop pleas, but HOW do you let that one go on Chinese New Year
Feb 19th 2018
Full video makes it funnier to me
Feb 19th 2018
yooooo, why did they leave that in there, wow
Feb 19th 2018
^^^ Chinese media crew too
Feb 19th 2018
Smh Lance Stephenson tryna give red dick comp
Feb 20th 2018
      dude really did the karate stance lol im dying
Feb 20th 2018
freudian slip
Feb 19th 2018
"it was an accident!!!" fuck outta here JJ.
Feb 20th 2018
He “gets it”
Feb 20th 2018
I think he's embarrassed, but because he didn't know what it meant
Feb 20th 2018
Zero, ZERO chance this is true
Feb 20th 2018
      you don't think it's possible?
Feb 21st 2018
I been in the car with a relatively famously woke woman's husband
Feb 20th 2018
Must be nice to get the benefit of the doubt because.... Duke!!!
Feb 20th 2018
Only 3 possible explanations. Only one seems plausible to me
Feb 20th 2018
What has he done in the past? It keeps getting alluded to but
Feb 20th 2018
Ehhh.
Feb 20th 2018
      there's a lot in between 'out right racism' and what you think happened ...
Feb 21st 2018
           Well, sure.
Feb 21st 2018
                welp i stand corrected. I just said Shittyshare in a presentation at wor...
Feb 21st 2018
                     LOL.
Feb 21st 2018
                     right.
Feb 21st 2018
                     Ha.
Feb 21st 2018
I don't know what he was trying to say or why
Feb 21st 2018
      Right, that's almost unfathomable in a pre-recorded video
Feb 21st 2018

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Sun Feb-18-18 01:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "mistake or not, his callous response isn't helping..."
In response to Reply # 0

..smh.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Sun Feb-18-18 02:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "so natural..."
In response to Reply # 0

--------

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59180 posts
Sun Feb-18-18 02:58 PM

3. "Wtf? I'm so confused. Who aired this?"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Sun Feb-18-18 03:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Didn't he call his ex-girlfriend a Spic a few years ago?"
In response to Reply # 0

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Premiere
Member since Sep 02nd 2005
2177 posts
Sun Feb-18-18 03:15 PM

5. "WOW. Kind of suspect that I hear about this today"
In response to Reply # 0

AFTER All-Star Media Day.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43743 posts
Sun Feb-18-18 03:39 PM

6. "Doesn’t appear that was his intent of course. "
In response to Reply # 0

BUt also how could the NBA not see that coming and either get another take or just leave it out entirely?

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Premiere
Member since Sep 02nd 2005
2177 posts
Sun Feb-18-18 04:05 PM

7. "Mannnnnnnnnn"
In response to Reply # 6

I was just thinking, "Who in Philly's video editing department REALLY does not fuck with JJ?"

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Mon Feb-19-18 10:43 AM

8. "he said that like it's the only word he knows for Chinese people"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Beezo
Charter member
27560 posts
Mon Feb-19-18 12:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Duke"
In response to Reply # 0

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Mon Feb-19-18 12:18 PM

10. "whaaaaat"
In response to Reply # 0

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Mon Feb-19-18 12:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "I'mma let his explanation rock."
In response to Reply # 0

He ain't that stupid and he seems pretty "woke" when it comes to race WITHIN the NBA.

Cenario
59180 posts
Mon Feb-19-18 01:00 PM

12. "Lol whaaaaaat?"
In response to Reply # 11

>He ain't that stupid and he seems pretty "woke" when it comes
>to race WITHIN the NBA.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Mon Feb-19-18 09:54 PM

17. "from what i call he's had some pretty insightful takes..."
In response to Reply # 12

on being a white player in a league dominated by black players, no?

i'm not saying he's leading the Black Lives Matter march or anything, but from what i recall he "gets it."

maybe i'm not remembering it correctly. either way, i still don't think he's stupid enough to do something like this intentionally.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 07:37 AM

22. "What makes you think he gets it? Wtf are you talking about? "
In response to Reply # 17

this is how Trump gets elected.

White people man... smh

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 03:17 PM

25. "what are you confused about it."
In response to Reply # 22

i explained why i don't think his words were purposeful.

why are you still lost?

I mean, there's this quote, for one from his article about whites in the NBA from The Undefeated: "My mother’s side is Swedish. My dad’s side is Irish. They were sold an American dream. They came here voluntarily. African-Americans were the only people that didn’t come here voluntarily. They were forced here. And so culture, it’s just different and been different. For white America, and I include myself because I’m white, it’s interesting to me how we can pick and choose the parts of black culture that are acceptable and not acceptable. It’s interesting to me as a whole that’s what we choose to do.

I can do my rap music and listen to that, and that’s OK. But we are going to racially profile young black men because they are ‘criminals.’ It’s just a stark divide between perception and reality … It’s just such a rich culture and a rich history. There are so many layers to it.

I would say this with what is going on in our country, the things that Rosa Parks fought for, the things that Martin Luther King was fighting for, there has been progress. In a way, you can make an argument that things are better. But on the other hand there are some other things where they are still starting behind the eight ball. So there is still a lot of progress to make."

here's another article about his general social consciousness: http://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/la-sp-clippers-redick-20170204-story.html

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....it's things like these that makes me think he "get it" in general and that he's not callous enough to purposefully call Chinese people "c**nks" on an official NBA platform.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 03:48 PM

26. "what does that have to do with slipping up and saying chinks? "
In response to Reply # 25

Here is the thing. 99% of white kids playing basketball in the NCAA or NBA are “sensitive” to Black issues for obvious reasons...

But Asians? Not so much.

We just watched Kenyan Martin get clowned for going at Lin.

Just because a persons “gets it” when it comes to Blacks in America ;and one can’t really say he really gets it based off a quote or 2) it doesn’t mean they are sensitive to other cultures.

Asians still get stereotypes and shitted on because folks aren’t as woke as they think when it comes to these things.

This is why you will see white kids slant their eyes in photos and think it’s funny. Folks will say Shrimp Fwide Wrice in a heartbeat and think nothing of it.

I really don’t see how he gets it when he says “I apologize to anyone I offended”
That’s some shit you say when you really aren’t that sorry.

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 04:03 PM

27. "look, i'm not Chinese, obviously..."
In response to Reply # 26

but his apology is good enough for me. i know that doesn't mean shit, but i'm just saying.

to clarify, this apology, which sounds pretty sincere considering his participation in NBA events in China: https://twitter.com/JJRedick/status/965443290324664320

also, while i get that Americans are less sensitive about racism towards Asians as compared to Blacks, his general racial awareness won't allow me to believe that he would say something like this -
again, especially knowing he's speaking on an official NBA platform. speaking for myself, i admit, i don't think about racism towards Asians in the same way i do about racism towards Black folks in the country...that doesn't mean i think it's cool to disparage Asians.

finally, for whatever it's worth, Jeremy Lin (since you brought him up) spoke with Reddick (check Lin's twitter) and is giving him HIS pass.

Cenario
59180 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 04:26 PM

28. "you keep talking about his general racial awareness? what are you talkin..."
In response to Reply # 27

about

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 04:31 PM

30. "Won’t allow you to think he would say a slur? "
In response to Reply # 27

Wait, whaaat?

See, this is that privilege I’m talking about.

and plenty of people forgive after lengthy conversations. Still doesn’t change what was said on camera.

I think locker rooms are where players let their guard down and sometimes they slip up or just remind us they are just fucking basketball players capable of saying chink.. smh.

Won’t allow you to believe.. this dude a savior or some shit? Sounds like how folks talk about preachers who get caught. LOL

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 05:03 PM

31. "it has nothing to do with privilege."
In response to Reply # 30

it has everything to do with me judging him on his thoughts regarding race and his general intelligence. what motivation does he have to call Chinese people a slur on an official NBA outlet? it just doesn't make sense based on other evidence.

lastly, i only just found out that he served as as NBA ambassador on a couple China trips. that's more evidence that would make me think he didn't say it on purpose.

Cenario
59180 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 05:16 PM

32. "LOLZ"
In response to Reply # 31

>
lastly, i only just found out that he served as as NBA ambassador on a couple China trips. that's more evidence that would make me think he didn't say it on purpose.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 07:14 PM

35. "Thats privilege"
In response to Reply # 31

The fact you cant even begin to think JJ could say chink

So what he was an ambassador. Lmao.

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 08:18 PM

38. "This is my last comment because we're going in circles."
In response to Reply # 35

>The fact you cant even begin to think JJ could say chink

I never said that. SUUUURE I can imagine a world where he has said it. In fact, I bet he has said it in his life...probably multiple times in fact.

What I did say is that based on his recent comments on race, the fact that he has been an NBA ambassador to China, and the sheer audacity and stupidity (not only is he gonna take an L publicly but he could get punished by the NBA) it would take to try to pass off calling Chinese people a slur in a video intended for Chinese audiences being made on your employer's watch makes me think that he didn't PURPOSELY say "chink" and that he was tongue tied deciding between two phrases which is what he says happened.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 07:34 AM

21. "Lmao.. that privilege is a mutha "
In response to Reply # 11

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Feb-19-18 01:05 PM

13. "not to cop pleas, but HOW do you let that one go on Chinese New Year"
In response to Reply # 0

of all days.

Like, how are you this unaware of your surroundings.

maybe it's just 'CISM and that's that. but man. I don't want to believe it. Like it doesn't even make sense to use that word in that way where it was used.

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Mon Feb-19-18 01:55 PM

14. "Full video makes it funnier to me"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Feb-19-18 01:57 PM by go mack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scMSeVaE7Ao

how did they not catch that? lol

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Feb-19-18 08:54 PM

16. "yooooo, why did they leave that in there, wow"
In response to Reply # 14

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Mon Feb-19-18 11:25 PM

18. "^^^ Chinese media crew too "
In response to Reply # 16

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Cenario
59180 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 12:20 AM

19. "Smh Lance Stephenson tryna give red dick comp"
In response to Reply # 14

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 12:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "dude really did the karate stance lol im dying"
In response to Reply # 19

rl9
Charter member
4494 posts
Mon Feb-19-18 08:10 PM

15. "freudian slip"
In response to Reply # 0

''i went from bashful to asshole to international''- CdoubleO

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85068 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 09:14 AM

23. ""it was an accident!!!" fuck outta here JJ."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 09:40 AM

24. "He “gets it”"
In response to Reply # 23
Tue Feb-20-18 09:59 AM by legsdiamond

He even gave the typical white apology. “I want to apologize to anyone I offended”

Shit like that let’s me know he slipped up and let us know how he prolly talks/jokes about Asians in private.

Remember ole girl with the slanted eyes Ching Chong joke on TV? Some folks swear they are so innocent but still have racial biases they refuse to admit.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18386 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 04:29 PM

29. "I think he's embarrassed, but because he didn't know what it meant"
In response to Reply # 0

He went to Duke and is supposed to be a woke whiteboy, so I think he's saying sorry just because he's embarrassed that he's fuckin dumb and didn't know it was racist.

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 05:20 PM

33. "Zero, ZERO chance this is true"
In response to Reply # 29

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18386 posts
Wed Feb-21-18 11:41 AM

42. "you don't think it's possible? "
In response to Reply # 33

I mean it's so unfathomably idiotic, I can't come up with any other explanation as to why someone who thinks he's smart would say that directly to a Chinese news outlet

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 05:32 PM

34. "I been in the car with a relatively famously woke woman's husband"
In response to Reply # 0

and that motherfucker was like

"Fuckin chink!"

to another driver (granted driving brings out the worst in people)

I bet some of those dudes in the video are thinking it as they say happy chinese new year. I don't know why dudes in are here acting brand new on both sides of the issue.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 07:16 PM

36. "Must be nice to get the benefit of the doubt because.... Duke!!! "
In response to Reply # 34

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 07:27 PM

37. "Only 3 possible explanations. Only one seems plausible to me"
In response to Reply # 0

1). He knew what he was saying and he wanted everyone to hear it (i.e. he is an out in the open racist)

2). He did not know that it was an offensive and derogatory term.

3). He fumbled his words

For #1, his pockets aren't that straight and it doesn't fit with anything he's done in the past. Not plausible to me

For #2, c'mon...he knows. Not plausible

#3 is the only that seems plausible. His explanation is believable. He was going one route, changed mid sentence and a random word comes out. It just happened to be a very unfortunate random word.

Cenario
59180 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 08:21 PM

39. "What has he done in the past? It keeps getting alluded to but"
In response to Reply # 37

No one saying....unless you mean that ambassador stuff.

And when people slip up what they are saying they usually slip and say a word that is part of their vocab, not a word that they usually doesn't say

When I slip and say something it's usually something that I say in convo, or at least in my head.

Ryan M
43743 posts
Tue Feb-20-18 09:17 PM

40. "Ehhh. "
In response to Reply # 39
Tue Feb-20-18 09:19 PM by Ryan M

Sometimes when people fuck up in conversation they combine two words as they’re verbally and mentally building a sentence. Entirely possible he combined “Chinese” and “basketball” and mushed them up and as it was leaving his mouth he ran it back. It’s happened to me many times. I mean, not a racial slur but still.

I’m just saying what he said isn’t so far from the word “Chinese” so it’s far more believable than outright racism.

17x NBA Champions

Cenario
59180 posts
Wed Feb-21-18 01:34 PM

43. "there's a lot in between 'out right racism' and what you think happened ..."
In response to Reply # 40

Ryan M
43743 posts
Wed Feb-21-18 02:37 PM

44. "Well, sure."
In response to Reply # 43

But what's more likely? Honestly?

17x NBA Champions

Cenario
59180 posts
Wed Feb-21-18 03:49 PM

45. "welp i stand corrected. I just said Shittyshare in a presentation at wor..."
In response to Reply # 44

when i was trying to cityshare.

i realized i messed up though lol.

The bigger mystery to me is how nobody caught it, whether or live or after they reviewed it (i'm assuming they did that)

OR that JJ didn't realized he fumbled his words or not (regardless of whether he realized what the end product was)

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Feb-21-18 04:45 PM

46. "LOL. "
In response to Reply # 45

I have so many unfortunate typos in chat that if our work slack gets out it's curtains for me.

I just can't figure out how the video got posted, the rest is between god and jj, I can't tell you what he meant to say but wtf

Cenario
59180 posts
Wed Feb-21-18 04:54 PM

48. "right."
In response to Reply # 46

>I just can't figure out how the video got posted, the rest is between god and jj, I can't tell you what he meant to say but wtf

Ryan M
43743 posts
Wed Feb-21-18 06:10 PM

49. "Ha."
In response to Reply # 45

Once, in a meeting, I was trying to say " Super funny and smart" and I just said "Super fart" and that was the worst fucking moment of that week. So like, I get it.

17x NBA Champions

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Feb-21-18 12:51 AM

41. "I don't know what he was trying to say or why"
In response to Reply # 37

but like...it came in a prerecorded video, not a live broadcast.

it *seems* unthinkable that anyone would think they could slip that in somehow and it wouldn't a. be edited out or b. get heard.

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Wed Feb-21-18 04:50 PM

47. "Right, that's almost unfathomable in a pre-recorded video"
In response to Reply # 41

Makes no sense

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2643909 Previous topic | Next topic