Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2635567

Subject: "Happy Festivus, Lakers!" Previous topic | Next topic
40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 06:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Happy Festivus, Lakers!"

Dat Cloak -->https://img.wennermedia.com/920-width/rs-141004-david1800-1404740835.jpg

Lakers hold team meeting to air grievances on and off the court

The Lakers have a lot of problems with you people and you're going to hear about them

Chris Barnewall
@ChrisBarnewall

Nobody tell the Lakers that Festivus was last week, because they've got a lot of problems with you people and you're going to hear about them.
Los Angeles has lost seven of their last eight and the team decided they needed to hold a meeting to discuss their problems. The airing of grievances was led by coach Luke Walton, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Tania Ganguli

@taniaganguli
The Lakers had a team meeting yesterday instead of practice. Luke Walton gave players the floor to discuss whatever was on their mind. Lots of talk about frustrations guy were feeling, both on the court and with the business of the organization.
1:23 PM - Dec 29, 2017
41 41 Replies 211 211 Retweets 415 415 likes

Bill Oram

@billoram
Lakers had a team meeting yesterday where players aired grievances about what’s happening on the court and, per Brandon Ingram, “the business of the organization.”
1:18 PM - Dec 29, 2017 · El Segundo, CA

While the Lakers have been competitive in most of their games this season, a loss is still a loss, and it's hard to get over them when they start to stack up like it has. A team meeting can be a healthy way to get through issues on the court and work through them in a non-practice setting. This is particularly useful with how difficult it is for teams to find practice time in the middle of the season.

What's interesting is that Brandon Ingram mentioned the business side of the organization came up as well. It's possible that many Lakers players, especially the younger guys, are tired of having their names come up in trade rumors all the time. Everybody knows about their plans to sign a big free agent this summer because it's something the organization has publicly talked about. So it can't be comforting if you're a Jordan Clarkson, or a Julius Randle, to know that your future with the organization is potentially in doubt if at any point a star decides they want to join the Lakers.

Los Angeles will play the Clippers on Friday. It will be interesting to see if the meeting helps lead to a positive result on the court.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lakers-hold-team-meeting-to-air-grievances-on-and-off-the-court/

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Good. These are healthy. But FOH on the trade rumors part
Dec 29th 2017
I think we're forgetting how young this team is
Dec 31st 2017
Fuck Luke.
Dec 29th 2017
Yeah, his records kinda shitty.
Dec 29th 2017
That's the Festivus spirit!
Dec 29th 2017
Who is the leader of this team??
Dec 29th 2017
whoever wins the Feats of Strength
Dec 29th 2017
Shit.. must be Randle then.
Dec 29th 2017
Kyle Kuzma is the leader of all things.
Dec 29th 2017
Lebron
Dec 29th 2017
Kaing of L A
Dec 29th 2017
the ghost of Kobe
Dec 29th 2017
there isnt one and that why the trade rumors are problematic
Dec 30th 2017
Seems like some guys mad Magic don't deem them untouchable
Dec 29th 2017
Good, healthy to air out concerns
Dec 29th 2017
Harsh lesson in the business of basketball for Randle.
Dec 29th 2017
That's an issue for him and other guys, knocked off the pedestal
Dec 30th 2017
      I don't think that's issue. It's probably the lack of transparency...
Dec 30th 2017
           You could be right, it's hard for us to say but that's sensible, too.
Dec 30th 2017
Everybody not named Zo, BI or Kuz can talk all they want.
Dec 29th 2017
Deng over in the corner on Coinbase diversifying his Bench dough.
Dec 30th 2017
The players need to get over themselves and quickly
Dec 30th 2017
y'all can keep pretending magic ain't call 1 guy untouchable all ya want...
Dec 30th 2017
*yawn*
Dec 30th 2017

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 06:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Good. These are healthy. But FOH on the trade rumors part"
In response to Reply # 0

If you can't handle the "business side", i.e trade rumors, quit the game....Because the game is a business.

Plus, I mean, most of those "rumors", particularly this early in the season, consists of purely speculative click bait bullshit.

Other than that, good. I'm glad this was done. They needed it. Everyone except Kuz needs to take a look at themselves going forward.

They compete. Their d keeps them alive. They're young and they'll be going through some shit on the way up.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Sun Dec-31-17 12:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
24. "I think we're forgetting how young this team is"
In response to Reply # 1

>If you can't handle the "business side", i.e trade rumors,
>quit the game....Because the game is a business.
>

Granted, part of being a professional, in any field, is to learn to tune out gossip and distractions in the workplace and still put out quality work.

But Randle is what 22? 23? Ingram's not even drinking age I don't think. Plus most of the young players likely griping have been peerless in college and simply don't have the life experience to perform at a high level without the security of playing time and regard that their talent allowed them to have in college.

In a sense, the tension will benefit all of these players down the road. Like you said, NBA life isn't for the meek and everyone is picked apart and scrutinized on a level that is simply uncomfortable. But that's the price for making a great living and having the lifestyle being a pro athlete allows.

>Other than that, good. I'm glad this was done. They needed it.
>Everyone except Kuz needs to take a look at themselves going
>forward.
>

Yeah. I mean, it's rare that team meetings really change the course of a season. But that being said, communication and honesty is always a good thing. Even if it's just for morale.

>They compete. Their d keeps them alive. They're young and
>they'll be going through some shit on the way up.

I don't have a verdict either way on Luke. But for the most part the team plays hard and has been in a lot of games, more so than last year it seems.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 06:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Fuck Luke. "
In response to Reply # 0

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 06:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Yeah, his records kinda shitty. "
In response to Reply # 2
Fri Dec-29-17 06:45 PM by mrhood75

King Tee'll bust rhymes for the whole city

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 07:14 PM

9. "That's the Festivus spirit!"
In response to Reply # 2

Tell Luke all the ways that he's disappointed you over the past year!

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Beezo
Charter member
27560 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 06:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Who is the leader of this team??"
In response to Reply # 0

Just asking.

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 06:37 PM

4. "whoever wins the Feats of Strength"
In response to Reply # 3

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Beezo
Charter member
27560 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 07:08 PM

8. "Shit.. must be Randle then."
In response to Reply # 4

<---

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 06:46 PM

6. "Kyle Kuzma is the leader of all things."
In response to Reply # 3

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 06:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Lebron"
In response to Reply # 3

Beezo
Charter member
27560 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 07:17 PM

10. "Kaing of L A"
In response to Reply # 7

<---

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 07:31 PM

12. "the ghost of Kobe"
In response to Reply # 3

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35253 posts
Sat Dec-30-17 12:19 PM

19. "there isnt one and that why the trade rumors are problematic"
In response to Reply # 3

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 07:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Seems like some guys mad Magic don't deem them untouchable"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-29-17 07:25 PM by Basaglia

And by some I mean all of them niggas.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 07:43 PM

13. "Good, healthy to air out concerns "
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85068 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 08:30 PM

14. "Harsh lesson in the business of basketball for Randle. "
In response to Reply # 0

He ain't the first to get caught in politics and he won't be the last.

Hope he does well wherever he lands but I'm not going to miss him much

<--- Big Baller World Order

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sat Dec-30-17 12:07 PM

18. "That's an issue for him and other guys, knocked off the pedestal"
In response to Reply # 14

The pros bring harsh realities. It's a business of pressure, fear and competition.

Normally I am for dialogue and what not but I don't think that this is what this group needs. They have all been stars up to this point and now they are having to fight for their spot and every minute of tick. Let them work through that process without any bitching.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Sat Dec-30-17 12:40 PM

20. "I don't think that's issue. It's probably the lack of transparency..."
In response to Reply # 18

false messages that get put out there.

If a coaching staff and front office says, I expect X,Y, & Z out of you and for you to play like this and you go and put the work in to do as such then perform as such to a degree of success and still don't play, of course you'll have a problem with it.

If the coach and front office says, "He's not playing because he's not doing X,Y, & Z." But other players are playing who are doing neither X, Y, or Z. Of course you'll have a problem with it.

If you know you're not playing so they can play cheaper options and lose, while not letting you hoop in your contract year, of course you'll have a problem with it.

If every game you play on national tv the announcers are openly asking why you're not playing you get in and ball out. Problem.

If every time someone is interviewing you, they ask why you ain't playing and you know you're balling and helping the team. Problem.

And on top of that, if you're losing and hate losing while inferior players play. Big Problem.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Dec-30-17 01:40 PM

22. "You could be right, it's hard for us to say but that's sensible, too."
In response to Reply # 20

It sounds like you're primarily looking at Randle's situation. From what Walton is saying, there isn't a lack of transparency, but "gotta hear both sides" (c) TOKPR.

>If you know you're not playing so they can play cheaper
>options and lose, while not letting you hoop in your contract
>year, of course you'll have a problem with it.

I really don't think that is what is happening vis a vis Randle and Kuzma, and I don't think they are fully committed to moving on from Randle, even though it's pretty likely that they will. If they were, they'd give him tick to showcase him for a trade. Again, like, what you're saying is plausible but I don't see any evidence of it to say it's what is going on for sure.

>If every game you play on national tv the announcers are
>openly asking why you're not playing you get in and ball out.
>Problem.
>
>If every time someone is interviewing you, they ask why you
>ain't playing and you know you're balling and helping the
>team. Problem.
>
>And on top of that, if you're losing and hate losing while
>inferior players play. Big Problem.

Sure, I mean by no means am I saying that the players have no reason to be upset. They are losing, everyone should be upset and depending on individual situations some guys should be more upset. I am just looking at the most productive way to deal with it from a team standpoint and I don't think canceling a practice so everyone can complain fits the bill.

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 09:26 PM

15. "Everybody not named Zo, BI or Kuz can talk all they want. "
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-29-17 09:26 PM by bignick

As long as they're prepared to pass the damn ball and/or be shipped the hell out.

Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Sat Dec-30-17 12:28 AM

16. "Deng over in the corner on Coinbase diversifying his Bench dough."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Dec-30-17 11:42 AM

17. "The players need to get over themselves and quickly"
In response to Reply # 0

Not *one* guy on that roster has proven shit or is in firm standing. Even the veteran guys are in decline and the rest are a bunch of one-and-done guys and/or rookies.

Yeah, some guys know they are sitting ducks and other guys think they might be. So what? You still go 100% for that next stint, that next contract, etc.

Bogut came to Walton, blah blah blah, ultimately Walton has to assert himself here. Fuck this airing of grievances. Put up a neon sign in the locker room that says "Be stronger, do better" and don't say a word.

In observing coaches I think silence speaks a lot louder than words often, especially in this type of situation. The guys who are good know it. Darryl Sutter, master of when to turn his head. Peter Laviolette after a bad loss would often say very little and once described his silence as "letting them stew in it." No different in basketball. When I coached teenagers I wasn't much for a ton of discussion either way and the coaches I had that were like that I respected. How we feel doesn't matter, it's about a common goal. I don't need to tell you that you fucked up, your sitting on the bench is all that needs to be said.

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Sat Dec-30-17 08:00 PM

23. "y'all can keep pretending magic ain't call 1 guy untouchable all ya want..."
In response to Reply # 17
Sat Dec-30-17 08:09 PM by Basaglia

it was said. and it wasn't lobster man jumper or biracial ryan anderson.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Sat Dec-30-17 01:10 PM

21. "*yawn*"
In response to Reply # 0

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2635567 Previous topic | Next topic