Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2631242

Subject: "Why the Kyrie trade to Boston is a win/win for all sides" Previous topic | Next topic
Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 04:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Why the Kyrie trade to Boston is a win/win for all sides"

I keep hearing everyone - yet again - constricted by binary thinking (c) Billy Walton -- yet very few have seen this trade/Eastern Conference shakeup for what it is: A win/win for Kyrie, Lebron, and the NBA.

For Kyrie it's pretty clear: He gets to author a new chapter as The Man in a super sophisticated system with the League's brightest young coach at the helm, and a plethora of young, budding talent around to complement him. Kyrie can compete for a loooong time in Boston and will have every opportunity to prove what he seems to know about himself: that he's the guy who can lead a team to a championship - not as second fiddle. Whether that's true or not is yet to be seen, but it was a great move for him at this stage of his career. However, it's important to note that he didn't maneuver this - he was traded to Boston. So both Cleveland and Bron cosigned on this bold move which really was a wheel of fortune for Kyrie as he could've easily gone to Phoenix, Minnesota, or New York instead.

For Bron - he absolutely needed a shake-up as well. His body language at the end of last year was non-motivated and one of frustration. He felt that other players on the team weren't holding up their end of the bargain and contributing enough to match the Warriors - and he was right. However, in that process, he did alienate Irving instead of motivating him to go at it another round - and he may one day look back at that as somewhat of a regret - but likely not because of this: Bron is playing his best basketball ever right now - and his body language is *way* better as he seems to have renewed motivation - even with a broken, injured, and brand new team. Had things just remained the same in Cleveland he likely would've just been going on auto-pilot again and not really as emotionally invested as he needs to be. He's back to being the energized, night in and night out "I lead by example" Champion that he's always been, but with a renewed way about him to where he's paying more attention to details (his jumpshot, freethrow %, improving on post-game etc..).

For the League - it's clearly a huge win. It creates excitement and drama in the East with an inevitable Cleveland-Boston showdown that may be the most intriguing matchup in all of basketball this year should they meet in the playoffs.

So - good for Kyrie, good for Kang, good for the NBA.
-->

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i'd love to see the lebron fanfiction you keep in the drafts lol.
Nov 21st 2017
you already know it's good.
Nov 21st 2017
fiyah
Nov 22nd 2017
this was actually anticipatory non-fiction
May 11th 2018
you're into erotica?
May 12th 2018
RE: Why the Kyrie trade to Boston is a win/win for all sides
Nov 21st 2017
However, it's important to note that he didn't maneuver this -
Nov 21st 2017
      Honestly I don’t think that Bron cosigned on this...
Nov 21st 2017
           There's 0% chance Bron didn't know and approve this trade.
Nov 21st 2017
                RE: There's 0% chance Bron didn't know and approve this trade.
Nov 22nd 2017
I can't see this as anything other than a 'Long Term L'
Nov 22nd 2017
i like the way things are panning out since this post
Nov 23rd 2017
IT & TT set to come back soon. no big deal tho, right?
Dec 11th 2017
^ Vex Vorhees
Dec 11th 2017
Predictive Factoid Attacktoid?
May 11th 2018
i mean, the trade was clearly an L for CLE as a franchise
May 12th 2018
L is growing by the minute right now
May 13th 2018
      ^sad hour for Detroit Celtics fans
May 28th 2018
Certainly was a huge win for LeBron. GOAT status elevated
May 28th 2018

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85076 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 04:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i'd love to see the lebron fanfiction you keep in the drafts lol."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 06:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "you already know it's good."
In response to Reply # 1

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Wed Nov-22-17 10:26 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "fiyah"
In response to Reply # 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Fri May-11-18 06:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "this was actually anticipatory non-fiction"
In response to Reply # 1

with a hint of prophecy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDNrvZI7jkc
-->

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Sat May-12-18 04:59 PM

15. "you're into erotica?"
In response to Reply # 1

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 05:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Why the Kyrie trade to Boston is a win/win for all sides"
In response to Reply # 0

A lot of people would like to say that Kyrie and Bron grew apart. I think that it wasn’t that, but more with coaching. Some points that Kyrie made were in reference to coaching. Wanting to be taught, and wanting that unspoken communication with his coach.

I felt (and still feel) that Lue still needs to learn a lot more about coaching in the NBA. His substitutions were poor last year against the Warriors. His substitution isn’t that great this season, but he’s improving some.

All in all like you said for Bron, Kyrie, and the league it is better now as well as the long run. Kyrie is in a much better situation than if he were to stay and Bron left after this season. Bron is better because the team is deeper than last year. The league... well it loves drama so this is perfect for it.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 05:21 PM

3. "However, it's important to note that he didn't maneuver this - "
In response to Reply # 2

he was traded to Boston. So both Cleveland and Bron cosigned on this bold move which really was a wheel of fortune for Kyrie as he could've easily gone to Phoenix, Minnesota, or New York instead."

I can't even name the PHX and NYK coaches

I think you missed the point of the line quoted above

He could have ended up anywhere.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

hip bopper
7385 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 06:14 PM

4. "Honestly I don’t think that Bron cosigned on this..."
In response to Reply # 3

>he was traded to Boston. So both Cleveland and Bron cosigned
>on this bold move which really was a wheel of fortune for
>Kyrie as he could've easily gone to Phoenix, Minnesota, or New
>York instead."
>
>I can't even name the PHX and NYK coaches
>
>I think you missed the point of the line quoted above
>
>He could have ended up anywhere.

Yes he could’ve ended up anywhere, but Boston offered the best deal... so off to Boston he went. Cleveland was looking for something specific in a trade for Kyrie and Boston had that. An almost 30ppg scorer in Thomas, that Brooklyn pick that I think will be used in a bargaining chip in a trade near the trading deadline.

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 06:20 PM

5. "There's 0% chance Bron didn't know and approve this trade."
In response to Reply # 4
Tue Nov-21-17 06:33 PM by Vex_id

With the prospect of Bron leaving Cleveland -- you actually think that they would trade Kyrie to BOSTON (his arch rival in the East who he has chapters and chapters of history with) without his consent?

Nah.

That would absolutely guarantee his departure (which may happen anyway). But also - it's not even the best move for Cleveland's long-term interests. IT's hip is questionable and he's a free agent after this year so he can go anywhere - Cleveland didn't lock down anything in return for Kyrie. This was clearly a win-now and build the best team possible around Bron for a chance to win another title in the next 1-2 years.

But let's just say that Bron didn't know (for fun) - that still doesn't change the fact that Kyrie had nothing to do with landing in Boston. He was placed there.

"Big bro" (as Kyrie used to call him) looked out - and really showed integrity as he wished Kyrie the best, looked out, and helped put him in a great situation for his future - in charge of his own career (just as he did in 2010 by going to Miami). It's yet another reason why Bron is the most influential player of this generation.

Bron absolutely co-signed this - and Kyrie lucked out into the best possible situation for him. The reason he likely co-signed it is because of what you outlined: IT is the proximation of Kyrie in terms of offensive ability - particularly as a timely late game threat with a 90%+ FT clip.

-->

hip bopper
7385 posts
Wed Nov-22-17 01:21 PM

9. "RE: There's 0% chance Bron didn't know and approve this trade."
In response to Reply # 5

>With the prospect of Bron leaving Cleveland -- you actually
>think that they would trade Kyrie to BOSTON (his arch rival in
>the East who he has chapters and chapters of history with)
>without his consent?
>
>Nah.
>

My gut feeling is that Bron didn’t have much say in this. The vibe that I got from Altman is that he’s his own man. The front office we’re going to look for the best available deal for them and they got it (without Bron having any say). That’s why they got the pick so that they could either get a top pick, or use it as leverage later in the year to get a stud player.

>That would absolutely guarantee his departure (which may
>happen anyway). But also - it's not even the best move for
>Cleveland's long-term interests. IT's hip is questionable and
>he's a free agent after this year so he can go anywhere -
>Cleveland didn't lock down anything in return for Kyrie. This
>was clearly a win-now and build the best team possible around
>Bron for a chance to win another title in the next 1-2 years.
>
>But let's just say that Bron didn't know (for fun) - that
>still doesn't change the fact that Kyrie had nothing to do
>with landing in Boston. He was placed there.
>
>"Big bro" (as Kyrie used to call him) looked out - and really
>showed integrity as he wished Kyrie the best, looked out, and
>helped put him in a great situation for his future - in charge
>of his own career (just as he did in 2010 by going to Miami).
>It's yet another reason why Bron is the most influential
>player of this generation.
>
>Bron absolutely co-signed this - and Kyrie lucked out into the
>best possible situation for him. The reason he likely
>co-signed it is because of what you outlined: IT is the
>proximation of Kyrie in terms of offensive ability -
>particularly as a timely late game threat with a 90%+ FT
>clip.
>
>-->

Since Bron has aspirations of wanting to own the Cavs I doubt that he will go elsewhere as he is entering the twilight of his career (if that ever comes). I will say that a lot hinges on whether they can sign IT after this season to a long term deal. If so that should help Bron out until her retires.

Of course Kyrie had nothing to do with going to Boston. The two front offices had control over the whole deal. IT will be good and will ball like he has been doing which is why the deal is good for all parties involved... including the league.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Nov-22-17 10:13 AM

7. "I can't see this as anything other than a 'Long Term L'"
In response to Reply # 0

(shout out to POOPINCHICAGO) for the Cavs. For LeBron? It's whatever, his NBA history is solidified.

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Thu Nov-23-17 09:50 AM

10. "i like the way things are panning out since this post"
In response to Reply # 0

-->

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Mon Dec-11-17 01:17 PM

11. "IT & TT set to come back soon. no big deal tho, right?"
In response to Reply # 0

-->

Dstl1
Charter member
56232 posts
Mon Dec-11-17 01:21 PM

12. "^ Vex Vorhees"
In response to Reply # 11

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Fri May-11-18 06:21 PM

13. "Predictive Factoid Attacktoid? "
In response to Reply # 0

-->

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35259 posts
Sat May-12-18 05:29 PM

16. "i mean, the trade was clearly an L for CLE as a franchise"
In response to Reply # 0

even Cavs fans have come to grips with that

they had to spend a 1st to get out from it, and even then they ended up with role players

good young role players are helping right now. but they gave up a leader 5 years from now, and ended up with nothing close to that.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35259 posts
Sun May-13-18 03:35 PM

17. "L is growing by the minute right now"
In response to Reply # 16

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Mon May-28-18 08:56 AM

19. "^sad hour for Detroit Celtics fans"
In response to Reply # 17

-->

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Mon May-28-18 08:55 AM

18. "Certainly was a huge win for LeBron. GOAT status elevated"
In response to Reply # 0

He was asked to do the impossible and carry this team - *alone* - to his 8th straight NBA Finals - and he did it in the most clutch, dynamic, and Thanos-like manner imaginable.

I love that Kyrie wasn't there - as all the irrational haters would've been like "but he had kyrie to close games!"

Bron's the best closer in the game's history - and this season prevents any of y'all from lying on his name.

Most clutch. Mr. Game 7. Most go-ahead/game-winning/buzzer-beating shots in playoff history - biggest performer in elimination games etc...

Thanks Kyrie - you further elevated Bron's legacy in a way that couldn't have been done had you stayed.

Win/Win.

-->

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2631242 Previous topic | Next topic