Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2631133

Subject: "ok... so I guess I gotta be the one to say it..." Previous topic | Next topic
dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Mon Nov-20-17 11:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"ok... so I guess I gotta be the one to say it..."

alleged "bums" victor oladipo, young sabas, enes kanter, even mcbuckets. all playing pretty damn well so far.

and all on teams with better records than the oklahoma city thunder.

could it just be, maybe, that russ is a liiiiiiittle difficult to play with, and constantly defer to? and that KD was right to leave and that harden was the real 2017 mvp?

these are just questions. i'm just throwing them out there.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
first
Nov 20th 2017
scowling negro.
Nov 20th 2017
http://tinyurl.com/y8pbooya
Nov 20th 2017
Can I propose an alternate theory?
Nov 20th 2017
Agreed - and it also takes the right environment
Nov 21st 2017
Cmon. This is OKP.
Nov 21st 2017
I thought Yung Sabonis looked good last year
Nov 21st 2017
I'll only speak for myself...
Nov 21st 2017
Bron was the real MVP last year. but you right
Nov 21st 2017
Lebron has to stop his laissez-faire approach to the season
Nov 21st 2017
      He led the league in RPM.
Nov 22nd 2017
Yes, it's very difficult to play with a high usage player
Nov 21st 2017
This is where over-doing the Agenda Wars thing rears it's ugly head
Nov 21st 2017
Kanter was defensive liability that's the only reason he didn't play mor...
Nov 21st 2017
And Kanter is playing now, because they’re playing diff teams right?
Nov 21st 2017
      you'd have to ask Billy Donovan because that's what he said.
Nov 21st 2017
present
Nov 21st 2017
Dude I said this last year when Harden got robbed
Nov 21st 2017
What about the Knicks record without Melo and the Pacers without PG?
Nov 22nd 2017
It's very early for that. Knicks had this same record last year to start...
Nov 22nd 2017
Right on with the Pacers...knicks gonna knick tho
Apr 24th 2018
Apr 23rd 2018
anyone calling Dipo a bum caught a L before this post was made
Apr 24th 2018
      RE: anyone calling Dipo a bum caught a L before this post was made
Apr 24th 2018

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18386 posts
Mon Nov-20-17 11:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "first"
In response to Reply # 0

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Mon Nov-20-17 11:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "scowling negro. "
In response to Reply # 0

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Mon Nov-20-17 11:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "http://tinyurl.com/y8pbooya"
In response to Reply # 2

http://tinyurl.com/y8pbooya

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Mon Nov-20-17 11:51 PM

4. "Can I propose an alternate theory?"
In response to Reply # 0

Oladipo: a #2 pick who turned 25 this year.
Kanter: a #3 pick who turned 25 this year.
McDermott: a lottery pick who turned 25 this year.
Sabonis: a lottery pick who turned 21 this year.

I don't doubt that Russ is likely a hard player to develop alongside... but maybe also people just need to stop recklessly agendaizing young high-level prospects and dismissing them after one, two, or perhaps even three years of not immediately performing to whatever people's positional expectations are? Not every young guard is Kyrie, not every young big is Cousins. A fuck ton of them take time.

I've been hearing every year since Oladipo reached the league that me saying he was a potential NBA All-Star was foolish cysage. I couldn't really respond with anything other than, "Yeah, well, he did have that potential and still does. He's crazy young." Now he very well may be an all-star this year. Sabonis and McDermott just entered the league, what, two years ago? I don't think either is an all-star prospect personally (Sabonis is higher ceiling than McDermott imo), but man, the dismissal of these dudes early as "bums" was nuts. No reason a guy like McDermott can't make jumpers off an NBA bench. He just has to get used to the competition level.

Not that you did this, of course. It's why you included the quotes. Just worth pointing out once again, since every time I search on Twitter for any rookie NBA player, like 75% of the tweets are just about what a shitty pick Player X is. First Take has fucked even basic sports conversations beyond repair.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 09:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Agreed - and it also takes the right environment "
In response to Reply # 4

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18754 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 02:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "Cmon. This is OKP. "
In response to Reply # 4
Tue Nov-21-17 02:28 PM by magilla vanilla

If a player is in the NBA/NCAA Top 25 and not part of somebody's agenda, they might as well not exist.

Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

okayplayery
Member since Aug 25th 2012
518 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 04:18 AM

5. "I thought Yung Sabonis looked good last year"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Nov-21-17 04:20 AM by okayplayery

they threw him in the fire, cause they needed a player @ the four and he responded well, before his body hit the rookie wall. Who called him a bum?

Kanter looks the same to me, he does what he does - score. Maybe he gets more touches in NY, I dunno.

The only one who clearly thrived without Russ is Dipo.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 08:26 AM

6. "I'll only speak for myself..."
In response to Reply # 0

I never thought any of the four were bums.
Sabonis was a good, young player last year. Obviously has the DNA...he could shoot it some, too. Kid's body just wore out. No crime there. He was simply part of the deal. If you can get PG, you get him.

Vic is obviously a hooper. Watching as many games as I did last year, he did some maddening, hard to explain shit at times...but, he's a baller and pretty much a good dude (the extended cut of his interview with Desus and Mero is pretty damn good) Again...if you can get PG AND offload a huge contract, you do it.

Dougie...I was excited when this trade happened. I thought we'd finally gotten a shooter on the roof. Didn't work out that way. Cool. So, he was just part of a deal. We flipped Payne, Morrow and Joffrey for Taj and Dougie...then ended up including Dougie in the deal to get Melo. Ok(c)Jigga

Kanter was the hardest for me. It's well documented how I feel about dude. Wouldn't even be hard to pull up if somebody wanted to try some "gotcha" shit. I've probably stated it 6, 7 times in various posts. Loyal teammate, great hands, hustles, fantastic scorer with a nose for the ball...can't defend. There were times during the Houston series where he just could not be on the floor. Annnnnnnnd...if you can get Melo PLUS get rid of Enes' contract, you do it.

Not really sweating our record when we haven't even opened the cranberry sauce yet. I will say, it is frustrating watching us build huge leads and loose them or some of the shot selection, at times. Still, I'm confident that we will be around when the beef cooks *RIP Prodigy* next spring.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 08:34 AM

7. "Bron was the real MVP last year. but you right"
In response to Reply # 0

on the bron thing, he was at or close enough to the top in a lot of metrics I find helpful, including 1st in RPM. my default is to give it to the best player unless the numbers overwhelmingly suggest someone else.

As for Russ, he's the evolution of iverson, with all the good and bad that suggests.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 04:36 PM

16. "Lebron has to stop his laissez-faire approach to the season"
In response to Reply # 7

It's hurting his teammates more than anything. He's basically that dude you know in college who's very brilliant, studies last minute, smokes all the time, and gets an A on every test while his buddies doing the same thing are barely getting by.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Wed Nov-22-17 05:43 PM

20. "He led the league in RPM. "
In response to Reply # 16

Couldn't have been THAT laissez faire.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 09:47 AM

8. "Yes, it's very difficult to play with a high usage player"
In response to Reply # 0

We've seen it countless number of times now.

As for all the players you mentioned....it's like we have completely forgotten about player development cycles and additionally just how much context and environment play a part in that cycle.

<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 10:13 AM

10. "This is where over-doing the Agenda Wars thing rears it's ugly head"
In response to Reply # 0

For Vic and Kanter, aside from their youth , as has been mentioned, these two are on their third stop.

Some guys take time and seasoning to cook, even if some "fans" can't wait to roast them by game two of their entire career.

It's as much about that as it is playing with a ball dominant player like Russ.

Time. Seasoning. Experience. Sometimes that's the path.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 11:10 AM

11. "Kanter was defensive liability that's the only reason he didn't play mor..."
In response to Reply # 0

that had nothing to do with Russ lol

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 02:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "And Kanter is playing now, because they’re playing diff teams right?"
In response to Reply # 11

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 05:33 PM

17. "you'd have to ask Billy Donovan because that's what he said. "
In response to Reply # 14

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 01:33 PM

12. "present"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 02:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Dude I said this last year when Harden got robbed"
In response to Reply # 0

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Nov-22-17 05:02 PM

18. "What about the Knicks record without Melo and the Pacers without PG?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Wed Nov-22-17 05:09 PM

19. "It's very early for that. Knicks had this same record last year to start..."
In response to Reply # 18

That being said, I'd rather have Kanter right today than melo.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 08:30 AM

23. "Right on with the Pacers...knicks gonna knick tho"
In response to Reply # 18

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 11:51 PM

21. "..."
In response to Reply # 0

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 12:18 AM

22. "anyone calling Dipo a bum caught a L before this post was made"
In response to Reply # 21

but Kanter ... was on the Knicks, right?

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Tue Apr-24-18 08:35 AM

24. "RE: anyone calling Dipo a bum caught a L before this post was made"
In response to Reply # 22

>but Kanter ... was on the Knicks, right?

The Knicks as a whole were a toxic wasteland, but Enes Kanter was easily one of the bright spots for them this season and he did in fact play better individually for the Knicks than he did while he was on OKC. If and when he leaves, it's going to hurt Porzingis because Kanter did a lot of the dirty work in terms of getting rebounds that Porzingis seemed to somewhat struggle with, at least from what I saw from Porzingis this season.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2631133 Previous topic | Next topic