Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2630161

Subject: "anyone read any good sports books lately?" Previous topic | Next topic
dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 10:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"anyone read any good sports books lately?"

just threw the new shea serrano and the rapaport onto the kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/Basketball-Other-Things-Collection-Illustrated/dp/1419726471
https://www.amazon.com/This-Book-Has-Balls-Talking/dp/1501160311/

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Unfortunately no.
Nov 14th 2017
the simmons jawnt is a superfast read.
Nov 14th 2017
      Thx for the info.
Nov 14th 2017
           the best book i've read on strategy + tactics:
Nov 14th 2017
                Came in here to post this
Aug 08th 2018
just realized the gawd mccallum has a new one out.
Nov 14th 2017
"Assisted", by John Stockton, and re-reads of Kobe "Showtime" and Tyson'...
Nov 14th 2017
Last sports book I read was Jalen Rose book
Nov 14th 2017
SEE, thanks for this...
Nov 15th 2017
just started the new howard bryant. so far, it's a banger.
Aug 08th 2018
"The Boys in the Boat" was excellent.
Aug 08th 2018
I've read two in the last 6 weeks and recommend both
Aug 08th 2018
Good looks
Aug 08th 2018
last one I read was Invictus
Aug 09th 2018
everyone should read Phil Knight’s “SHOE DOG”
Sep 04th 2018
not new but I liked Pete Carroll's: Win Forever
Sep 05th 2018
several intriguing hoop reads dropping over the next month
Apr 04th 2019

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 09:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Unfortunately no."
In response to Reply # 0

I keep wanting to get to Bill Simmons' Big Book of Basketball but haven't pulled the trigger to buy it.

I think the last book I got to was Phil's Sacred Hoops. But that was at least three years ago.

dula dibiasi
21925 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 09:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "the simmons jawnt is a superfast read. "
In response to Reply # 1

you can knock it out in a Saturday afternoon.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 10:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Thx for the info."
In response to Reply # 2

Since this post is here. Let me ask you, or anyone, if they know of a good book on sports strategy or the technical details of a sport?

Back when I was younger, I could watch games and get a feel of the strategy but either because I'm not as interested in the games or my feel of sports isn't what it used to be since I don't play, my mind doesn't capture the nuances of the game. Maybe reading up on that would improve the entertainment of the game.

dula dibiasi
21925 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 10:59 PM

4. "the best book i've read on strategy + tactics:"
In response to Reply # 3

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3621358-inverting-the-pyramid

not sure if you're a soccer fan, but this one's a must read if you're into the game at all. utterly brilliant. a bit of a dry read but fascinating as hell if you nerd out on that type of shit.

___

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Wed Aug-08-18 05:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Came in here to post this"
In response to Reply # 4

It's incredible

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

dula dibiasi
21925 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 11:19 PM

5. "just realized the gawd mccallum has a new one out."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Days-California-Reinvented-Basketball-ebook/dp/B073YTHL7X

i feel like i did know that, but maybe forgot.

either way, auto-copped.

___

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 11:19 PM

6. ""Assisted", by John Stockton, and re-reads of Kobe "Showtime" and Tyson'..."
In response to Reply # 0

Undisputed Truth

Not sure if you count Jim Ross's life in pro wrestling, but that too.

Currently sitting on Furious George.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18628 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 11:37 PM

7. "Last sports book I read was Jalen Rose book "
In response to Reply # 0

I enjoyed it, but from listening to the podcast I’d heard a lot of the stories before.

Still found it a fun read though.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed Nov-15-17 07:03 AM

8. "SEE, thanks for this..."
In response to Reply # 7

as a long time listener to the pod, I keep debating with myself if I'm going to even hear anything new.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

dula dibiasi
21925 posts
Wed Aug-08-18 12:59 PM

9. "just started the new howard bryant. so far, it's a banger."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076GM8FXC/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

The Heritage: Black Athletes, a Divided America, and the Politics of Patriotism
Following in the footsteps of Robeson, Ali, Robinson and others, today's Black athletes re-engage with social issues and the meaning of American patriotism

It used to be that politics and sports were as separate from one another as church and state. The ballfield was an escape from the world's worst problems, top athletes were treated like heroes, and cheering for the home team was as easy and innocent as hot dogs and beer. "No news on the sports page" was a governing principle in newsrooms.

That was then.

Today, sports arenas have been transformed into staging grounds for American patriotism and the hero worship of law enforcement. Teams wear camouflage jerseys to honor those who serve; police officers throw out first pitches; soldiers surprise their families with homecomings at halftime. Sports and politics are decidedly entwined.

But as journalist Howard Bryant reveals, this has always been more complicated for black athletes, who from the start, were committing a political act simply by being on the field. In fact, among all black employees in twentieth-century America, perhaps no other group had more outsized influence and power than ballplayers. The immense social responsibilities that came with the role is part of the black athletic heritage. It is a heritage built by the influence of the superstardom and radical politics of Paul Robeson, Jackie Robinson, Muhammad Ali, Tommie Smith, and John Carlos through the 1960s; undermined by apolitical, corporate-friendly "transcenders of race," O. J. Simpson, Michael Jordan, and Tiger Woods in the following decades; and reclaimed today by the likes of LeBron James, Colin Kaepernick, and Carmelo Anthony.

The Heritage is the story of the rise, fall, and fervent return of the athlete-activist. Through deep research and interviews with some of sports' best-known stars—including Kaepernick, David Ortiz, Charles Barkley, and Chris Webber—as well as members of law enforcement and the military, Bryant details the collision of post-9/11 sports in America and the politically engaged post-Ferguson black athlete.

“A fascinating, insightful look at race, politics, and sport.”
—Booklist

“A well-researched meditation on the historical pressures on African-American athletes to embrace (or avoid) political engagement. . . An appealing blend of sports history and provocative discussion of race and success, respect, and representation in America.”
—Kirkus Reviews

“In this timely book, Bryant, senior writer for ESPN Magazine, astutely explains how sports serves ‘as a barometer of blacks’ standing in the larger culture.’ . . . . This indispensable book expertly chronicles a fractured nation dealing with black players who no longer want to (as Fox News host Laura Ingraham told LeBron James) ‘shut up and dribble.’”
—Publishers Weekly

“A fascinating and complex look at the role of black athletes as political activists. Bryant’s analysis of the intersection of professional sports and promoting patriotism (or nationalism, depending on one’s point of view) is especially enlightening.”
—Library Journal

“Bryant keeps his eye on the ball. On top of that, Bryant writes with the kind of vim, in turns darkly comic and serious, that pulls you from page to page. It’s a bracing analysis that brings clarity during a hazy season.”
—Pacific Standard

“Bryant’s The Heritage is required reading for young people to realize what they’re seeing isn’t new, for current adults to understand the current climate in American sports and for older folks who lamented the lack of activist voices in the athletic ranks. The baton has been tossed.”
—New York Amsterdam News

“It may make people uncomfortable, but I’m pleased that Howard Bryant has chosen to tell the story of our heritage, and even more pleased that there are still ballplayers today who are willing to stand up for what they think is right.”
—Henry Aaron, Major League Baseball Hall of Famer

“Serious times call for serious action. After leaving a communist totalitarian country when I was eighteen, I was free to speak out, and I did. The Heritage gives the clearest breakdown I’ve read on why we athletes not only have the right to advocate for what we believe in—but oftentimes a duty.”
—Martina Navratilova, eighteen-time tennis Grand Slam winner

“If you believe that sports can be a lens for interpreting and understanding our world, then The Heritage is the Rosetta stone. Howard Bryant’s latest explains so much about racism and the black athlete’s place in US history that every chapter could be its own college course. But Bryant’s book is less history than twenty-first-century prophetic fire: a polemic homing in on the ways that militarism, sports, and black athletic resistance have become volcanically explosive in the era of Trump. This is the book for explaining our times, whether you give a damn about sports or not.”
—Dave Zirin, sports editor, The Nation, and author of Jim Brown: Last Man Standing

About the Author
Howard Bryant is an award-winning journalist for ESPN.com and ESPN the Magazine and the sports correspondent for NPR's Weekend Edition. He is also the author of six books for adults and middle grade readers. Bryant lives in Northampton, MA.

___

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16157 posts
Wed Aug-08-18 01:06 PM

10. ""The Boys in the Boat" was excellent."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.amazon.com/Boys-Boat-Americans-Berlin-Olympics-ebook/dp/B00AEBETU2

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Wed Aug-08-18 02:08 PM

11. "I've read two in the last 6 weeks and recommend both"
In response to Reply # 0

"Education of a Coach" by David Halberstam

really interesting read, written after BB's first three SB titles. What's unique about the book is that it's actually a lot more about the people and experiences that inform Belichick's outlook and processes more than it is about Belichick himself. Especially great stuff on his time with Parcells, LT, and the Giants. He lets LT slide on a lot of shit because he's such a special player, and reading that in the current context of Brady was fun.

"The QB: The Making of the Modern Quarterback" by Bruce Feldman

A deep dive on the position, in search of an explanation for why and how great QBs become great QBs. Spends time with everyone from a young Deshaun Watson and Josh Rosen to Aaron Rodgers. Digs into the cottage industry of developing young QBs and the lengths some of these kids (and their dads) go to help them advance at the position and in the sport. Awesome access to Manziel too.

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Wed Aug-08-18 04:56 PM

12. "Good looks"
In response to Reply # 11

>
>"Education of a Coach" by David Halberstam
>
>really interesting read, written after BB's first three SB
>titles. What's unique about the book is that it's actually a
>lot more about the people and experiences that inform
>Belichick's outlook and processes more than it is about
>Belichick himself. Especially great stuff on his time with
>Parcells, LT, and the Giants. He lets LT slide on a lot of
>shit because he's such a special player, and reading that in
>the current context of Brady was fun.
>
>"The QB: The Making of the Modern Quarterback" by Bruce
>Feldman
>
>A deep dive on the position, in search of an explanation for
>why and how great QBs become great QBs. Spends time with
>everyone from a young Deshaun Watson and Josh Rosen to Aaron
>Rodgers. Digs into the cottage industry of developing young
>QBs and the lengths some of these kids (and their dads) go to
>help them advance at the position and in the sport. Awesome
>access to Manziel too.

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Thu Aug-09-18 09:21 AM

14. "last one I read was Invictus"
In response to Reply # 0

bit of a feel good story, but still a fascinating look at two men (Nelson Mandela and Springbok captain François Pienaar) and how they represented the transition in South Africa to majority rule, and what rugby meant in SA.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 06:58 AM

15. "everyone should read Phil Knight’s “SHOE DOG”"
In response to Reply # 0

Thought this made more sense to post here than in the Kaepernick post, but relevant all the same given the unorthodox mindset of Phil Knight and the oddball culture he established and nurtured. I finished this a little over a week ago and found it to be shockingly inspiring and colorful. Reads like fiction, like the long journey of someone on a soul searching mission.

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Wed Sep-05-18 10:00 AM

16. "not new but I liked Pete Carroll's: Win Forever"
In response to Reply # 0

interesting applications if you are in any kind of management role

--------

dula dibiasi
21925 posts
Thu Apr-04-19 10:21 PM

17. "several intriguing hoop reads dropping over the next month"
In response to Reply # 0

4/9
LeBron, Inc.: The Making of a Billion-Dollar Athlete - Brian Windhorst

From the New York Times bestselling author of Return of the King comes the story of LeBron James's incredible transformation from basketball star to sports and business mogul.

With eight straight trips to the NBA Finals, LeBron James has proven himself one of the greatest basketball players of all time. And like Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan before him, LeBron has also become a global brand and businessman who has altered the way professional athletes think about their value, maximize their leverage, and use their voice.

LEBRON, INC tells the story of James's journey down the path to becoming a billionaire sports icon -- his successes, his failures, and the lessons both have taught him along the way. With plenty of newsmaking tidbits about his rollercoaster last season in Cleveland and high-profile move to the Lakers, LEBRON, INC. shows how James has changed the way most elite athletes manage their careers, and how he launched a movement among his peers that may last decades beyond his playing days.

4/16
Elevated: The Global Rise of the N.B.A. - The Staff of the New York Times (Edited & Annotated by Harvey Araton, Foreword by Jeff Van Gundy)

Howard Beck. Marc Stein. Jonathan Abrams. Chris Broussard. Ira Berkow. George Vecsey. Mike Wise. Selena Roberts. Lee Jenkins. All have graced the pages of The New York Times, entertaining readers with their probing coverage of the N.B.A.: a stage on which spectacular athletes perform against a backdrop of continuous social change. Now, their work and more is collected in a new volume, edited and annotated by Hall of Fame honoree Harvey Araton, tracing basketball's sustained boom from Magic and Bird to the present.

Elevated provides a courtside seat to four decades of professional basketball. Both the iconic moments and those quieter, but no less meaningful times in between are here, from Wise riding around Los Angeles with a young Kobe Bryant on the eve of his first All-Star Game, to Stein declaring Giannis Antetokounmpo's "unspeakable greatness" to the world in a riveting profile. Rather than simply preserving the past, Elevated reexamines and further illuminates hoops history. This expertly curated collection features exclusive new writing by Araton and postscripts from the original journalists, revealing candid exchanges with NBA greats that didn't make the original newspaper edit and tracing the rise of a worldwide phenomenon from a contemporary vantage point.

4/30
SprawlBall: A Visual Tour of the New Era of the NBA - Kirk Goldsberry

From the leading expert in the exploding field of basketball analytics, a stunning infographic decoding of the modern NBA: who shoots where, and how.

The field of basketball analytics has leaped to overdrive thanks to Kirk Goldsberry, whose visual maps of players, teams, and positions have helped teams understand who really is the most valuable player at any position. SprawlBall combines stunning visuals, in-depth analysis, fun, behind-the-scenes stories and gee-whiz facts to chart a modern revolution. From the introduction of the 3-point line to today, the game has changed drastically . . .

Now, players like Steph Curry and Draymond Green are leading the charge. In chapters like “The Geography of the NBA,” “The Interior Minister (Lebron James),” “The Evolution of Steph Curry,” and “The Investor (James Harden),” Goldsberry explains why today’s on-court product—with its emphasis on shooting, passing, and spacing—has never been prettier or more democratic. And it’s never been more popular. For fans of Bill Simmons and FreeDarko, SprawlBall is a bold new vision of the game, presenting an innovative, cutting-edge look at the sport based on the latest research, as well as a visual and infographic feast for fans.

5/14
KD: Kevin Durant's Relentless Pursuit to Be the Greatest - Marcus Thompson

Golden State Warriors insider and bestselling author Marcus Thompson delivers the definitive biography of one of the most extraordinary basketball players in NBA history—Kevin Durant.

The NBA has never seen a player quite like Kevin Durant. Larry Bird wasn’t as quick, Magic Johnson didn’t have such a range, and Michael Jordan wasn’t seven feet tall. Durant handles the ball like Allen Iverson, shoots like Dirk Nowitzki, and has the scoring instincts of Kobe Bryant. He does it in a body that’s about as big as Hakeem Olajuwon. But ultimately, Kevin Durant is like no one but himself.

After an incredible first season with Golden State, Kevin Durant earned the coveted NBA Finals MVP award: he was the Warriors’ top scorer in every game of the 2017 Finals, helping the team snatch the title from LeBron James and the defending champion Cleveland Cavaliers.

As a sports columnist for The Athletic Bay Area, and longtime beat reporter covering the Golden State Warriors, Marcus Thompson is perfectly positioned to trace Durant’s inspirational journey. KD follows Durant’s underdog story from his childhood spent in poverty outside DC; to his rise playing on AAU teams with future NBA players; to becoming a star and hometown hero for the Oklahoma Thunder; to his controversial decision to play for the NBA rival Golden State Warriors; to his growth from prodigy into a man, in the first true inside account of this superstar player.

KD is a powerful, moving biography of a modern-day legend and an essential read for all sports fans—or anyone who wants to know: what’s it like to shoot for greatness?

___

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2630161 Previous topic | Next topic