Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2629752

Subject: "Otani Posting Watch" Previous topic | Next topic
ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
42402 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 10:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Otani Posting Watch"

Yankees? Twins? Rangers?
Next year or end up waiting 2 more years?
Wish the Dodgers had a chance. There are also some injury concerns with his injury riddled season this year--but at the relatively "low cost" its not like youre burning 100 million + on him.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-hot-stove-shohei-otanis-extremely-complicated-free-agency-process-explained/

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2017/11/10/japanese-team-agrees-allow-rangers-target-shohei-otani-use-posting-system

https://sports.yahoo.com/shohei-otani-reportedly-hires-us-agent-bringing-even-closer-mlb-move-171905802.html

https://www.fanragsports.com/why-shohei-otani-no-brainer-for-yankees/

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
my rangers are such a mess
Nov 11th 2017
Angels...wtf
Dec 08th 2017
WC team that made a late push + he can DH. Makes sense
Dec 08th 2017
Mariners dodged the bullet. They wanted to get shot so bad.
Dec 08th 2017
They did make a trade yesterday so not completely dodged
Dec 08th 2017
He just committed career suicide
Dec 09th 2017
what's this mean for fantasy baseball?
Dec 09th 2017
I think they should make two separate players
Dec 09th 2017
      The pros and cons of Shohei Ohtani in fantasy (espn insider swipe)
Dec 11th 2017
After a rough spring
Apr 01st 2018
I was there for two of the four games
Apr 01st 2018
his splitter is nasty
Apr 02nd 2018
3 run blast in his first at bat at home
Apr 03rd 2018
Damn ...hit another one off Kluber
Apr 04th 2018
you don't want to get too excited, but it's hard not to
Apr 04th 2018
      See what happens after they get a good look at him
Apr 05th 2018
      nvm. get hype. Shohei Electronica out here
Apr 07th 2018
           I’m reminded of Puigs start
Apr 07th 2018
                Just saw this post and his 3 homers
Apr 09th 2018
Wish the Phillies took a shot at this guy
Apr 07th 2018
perfect through four in his home opener-
Apr 08th 2018
through five-
Apr 08th 2018
      through six-
Apr 08th 2018
           prob done after 7.
Apr 08th 2018
                RE: prob done after 7.
Apr 08th 2018
12 Shuckey Duckeys and only one Quack Quack.
Apr 08th 2018
RE: 12 Shuckey Duckeys and only one Quack Quack.
Apr 08th 2018
RE: Otani Posting Watch
Apr 08th 2018
Apr 08th 2018
Shohei Hobbs
Apr 09th 2018
Funny you should mention Hobbs...
Apr 13th 2018
Even Otani no match for the GOATGOD
Apr 12th 2018
Back in the lineup as a hitter last night
Apr 12th 2018
Wants to play more:
Apr 12th 2018
RE: Otani Posting Watch
Apr 12th 2018
Starting in 38 degree Kc today.
Apr 15th 2018
PPD'd
Apr 15th 2018
      Should be fun, vs the Red Sox
Apr 15th 2018
Can't wait to see this guy in person
Apr 15th 2018
RE: Can't wait to see this guy in person
Apr 15th 2018
Ohtani vs Price the two best teams to start the season in the AL
Apr 17th 2018
Rough 1st he struggled with control
Apr 17th 2018
      Only got 2 innings today
Apr 18th 2018
GOAThani got shelled...which is fine bcz hes hitting 2 Hr next game
Apr 18th 2018
No decision outing vs the Stros last night
Apr 25th 2018
Severino? Check
Apr 27th 2018
damn, im still the only one on this board
May 14th 2018
Those first three innings were disgusting
May 14th 2018
4-1
May 20th 2018
Stupid rain started falling just as Ohtani was really getting hot
May 30th 2018
right before the rain he threw this 101.1 MPH fastball
May 31st 2018
UGGGGHHHHH
Jun 08th 2018
TJ seems inevitable.
Jun 08th 2018
yea i wonder what happened for both
Jun 08th 2018
he's back we're back
Jul 10th 2018

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20230 posts
Sat Nov-11-17 03:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "my rangers are such a mess"
In response to Reply # 0

putting money in all the wrong places

and this pie in the sky thing about getting yu and otani

smh

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Fri Dec-08-17 02:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Angels...wtf"
In response to Reply # 0

---

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
40922 posts
Fri Dec-08-17 03:47 PM

3. "WC team that made a late push + he can DH. Makes sense "
In response to Reply # 0

Now we turn our attention toward Giancarlo and leverage our finances.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

PROMO
Charter member
24625 posts
Fri Dec-08-17 03:57 PM

4. "Mariners dodged the bullet. They wanted to get shot so bad."
In response to Reply # 0

But we're still alive, baby!

STAND OUT HAND OUTS: http://basquiatwhenipaint.tumblr.com

TWEET ME: @PROMO206

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Fri Dec-08-17 04:49 PM

5. "They did make a trade yesterday so not completely dodged"
In response to Reply # 4

Having to give prospects to increase poool money. At least they got Gordon out of the deal.

For most teams the front end risk of trading pieces away for pool money is the big risk with Ohtani.

What he will actually get paid in salary is pennies compared to what he would make in an open market bidding process

---

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
6640 posts
Sat Dec-09-17 02:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "He just committed career suicide"
In response to Reply # 0

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17165 posts
Sat Dec-09-17 01:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "what's this mean for fantasy baseball?"
In response to Reply # 0

how they gonna score him?

DROkayplayer™

KosherSam
Member since Mar 18th 2004
70128 posts
Sat Dec-09-17 06:23 PM

8. "I think they should make two separate players"
In response to Reply # 7

Otani the pitcher and Otani the hitter. You can draft either (or both) but each version only gets credit for the scoring categories of his version.

*Jews you*

"this is okp tho, reading is completely optional" (c) desus

Proceed with caution. I am overtly racist.

<-- In Pigpen we trust

kinetic94761180
17165 posts
Mon Dec-11-17 10:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "The pros and cons of Shohei Ohtani in fantasy (espn insider swipe)"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon Dec-11-17 10:47 PM by kinetic94761180

(to answer my question, espn hasn't yet decided how scoring will change or if there will be changes atall)

Eric Karabell
ESPN Senior Writer

Shohei Ohtani has incredible potential as a two-way MLB player, but how should fantasy players value him ahead of the 2018 season?
There’s every reason for Los Angeles Angels fans and fantasy managers to be intrigued and excited about Japanese import Shohei Ohtani due to the endless statistical possibilities. The problem is many of these possibilities for the 2018 season seem unrealistic. A Cy Young-caliber starting pitcher and an awesome, middle-of-the-order power hitter all in one player? Where do I sign up?

Fantasy managers want to rewrite the rules on how such a player could alter the sport. Hey, I’m as optimistic as the next person, but when someone asks me how to value the newest Japanese import for double duty, something unprecedented in modern baseball, my answer is pretty simple: It won’t be me finding out.

Pick the winner of all 41 bowl games this year in ESPN's Capital One Bowl Mania game and win $1,000,000! Play Now for Free!
As colleague Tristan H. Cockcroft informed with expert aplomb, Ohtani, 23, has to overcome several hurdles to warrant the lofty attention and list of comparable options he’s getting. One, he needs to stay healthy, no small feat considering he missed most of last season with ankle and hamstring injuries. Two, the Angels actually need to present him substantial at-bats to make it worth any fantasy manager’s while to consider him an asset on the hitting side, and then Ohtani has to prove he can hit like an everyday option. This sport isn’t exactly easy, you should know.

Ohtani is a potential ace hurler but hasn’t shown durability, and at the plate he hasn’t faced top pitching on any consistent basis. Frankly, I’m just viewing him as a pitcher and he should be a good one, as Cockcroft notes, capable of high strikeout totals and solid run-prevention tools. It’s a sloppy comparison based mainly on where they come from, but Yu Darvish comes to mind as a comparison. Darvish strikes hitters out and has had varying degrees of success in staying healthy and suppressing runs. Darvish also came to the Texas Rangers ready for 200 innings of work. Ohtani has never approached this figure and the Angels haven’t shared much on how they intend to use him. Will he get as many as 150 innings?

In an era in which 200-inning pitchers are becoming more rare by the season -- only 15 pitchers made it in 2017 -- fantasy managers should indeed lower expectations for volume in general, without missing out on upside. It is certainly possible Ohtani is special and dominates a new league of hitters for 25-plus starts, which would perhaps land him among the top-10 fantasy pitchers. Let’s grant that is plausible. Darvish didn’t do that in his first MLB season, though. His ERA was 3.90 and he didn’t carry the physical burden of hitting on even a semi-regular basis.

Cockcroft’s current top-300 rankings for 2018 lists fellow right-handers Jake Arrieta, Gerrit Cole and Aaron Nola as top-20 caliber pitchers, and each is a more proven, statistical commodity, and two of them and perhaps three -- Arrieta is a free agent, as of Monday -- pitch in the National League. Moving further down the rankings Kyle Hendricks, Jose Berrios and countryman Masahiro Tanaka are top-30 options. I agree with Cockcroft that Ohtani belongs in this class of fantasy assets based on the strikeout upside, and I’m more willing than perhaps ever to take chances on starting pitchers likely to fall short of even 175 innings, but obvious question marks remain.

Angels manager Mike Scioscia claims Ohtani will earn every chance to contribute at the plate and perhaps that’s even possible, but this is hardly a manager known as an out-of-the-box thinker. Ohtani would need to serve as the team’s designated hitter, which pushes statue-like Albert Pujols to first base. Perhaps Scioscia doesn’t think such a move will harm the defense. Perhaps he also couldn’t give a hoot about analytics and how they’re helpful. Ohtani might out-hit Pujols -- not a high bar there -- but it’s unlikely he gets the chance on a regular basis. And as Keith Law noted, Ohtani is far from a guarantee at the plate.

It’s exciting that Ohtani went against conventional wisdom in not only rushing to the major leagues -- and costing himself literally millions of dollars in the eager process -- and in choosing the organization that he did, but reaching up to the fifth or sixth round for a pitcher that only might stay healthy and seems unlikely to provide hitting value seems silly to me. Yes, Ohtani is the new prize for fantasy managers to dream about and there’s always going to be someone in a league willing to pay up for the hotshot rookie that hasn’t failed yet in the major leagues. Ohtani could be great. He could throw an amazing 175 innings and hit like an All-Star, in theory.

I just find it dangerous to rely on theories when selecting options for fantasy teams. How many other hitters with little promise of regular at-bats are you targeting? How many starting pitchers that have yet to approach 170 innings are you targeting? And while ESPN hasn’t announced how such a player will or even can be handled for fantasy purposes, it’s kind of irrelevant for me. Let someone else pay too much in a draft or auction for a pitcher -- not a hitter -- that hasn’t earned a top-100 spot yet. Frankly, I can’t wait to see him pitch and hit, but the former remains far from guaranteed and the latter is, taking context of volume into account, mostly a dream at this point.

DROkayplayer™

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Sun Apr-01-18 06:13 PM

10. "After a rough spring"
In response to Reply # 0

He showed some filth today, aside from a bad second inning.

He’s gonna have ups and downs this season, but the potential isbthere

---

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
41445 posts
Sun Apr-01-18 08:55 PM

11. "I was there for two of the four games"
In response to Reply # 10

Hitting-wise, I can only speak for game one. After hitting the first pitch he saw, and looked pretty lost the rest of the game.

As far today, he looked nasty in the first, but very rough in the second. But hey, he didn't allow a hit afterwards, and made some hitters look very bad while striking out.

I agree he'll be up and down. I doubt he'll end up in the minor league, but I'm sure if it will all be smooth sailing this year.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

It's the Hed Rush: http://hedrush.podomatic.com/
"We take rap serious, it's not a hobby to us."

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
25959 posts
Mon Apr-02-18 02:26 PM

12. "his splitter is nasty"
In response to Reply # 10

and he was throwing easy gas, fastball velocity averaged 97.8 mph and he hit 99 several times + touched 100 on one. he's got legit ace stuff.

<------- Bryce just better

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Tue Apr-03-18 11:06 PM

13. "3 run blast in his first at bat at home"
In response to Reply # 0

This looked fun

https://mobile.twitter.com/FoxSportsWest/status/981363392475676672?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

---

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Wed Apr-04-18 09:48 PM

14. "Damn ...hit another one off Kluber"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-04-18 09:49 PM by ShawndmeSlanted

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2018/4/4/17200518/shohei-ohtani-corey-kluber-home-run

---

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
13716 posts
Wed Apr-04-18 10:08 PM

15. "you don't want to get too excited, but it's hard not to"
In response to Reply # 14

Granted, dude smartly points back to his own piece from a week ago worrying over whether Ohtani could cut it at all. But he also titled this piece "it's impossible to overreact" to this situation despite the fact nobody was running wild with speculation over Bumgarner hitting two in a single game on opening day last year.

I tuned into this game specifically for his second plate appearance and loved witnessing that home run, so I'm definitely all in on the Ohtani experience, but I hope every achievement of his doesn't result in some blustery, kinda pointless article about it. I hope every failure doesn't, either.

(I know both will.)

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

The Real
Charter member
13284 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 11:58 AM

16. "See what happens after they get a good look at him"
In response to Reply # 15

Trust me, it doesn't take long for them to get a book on you. By week three (if not sooner these days); teams will find the holes in your swing or tendencies. Some players can adjust, some cannot. We will see what type of player he is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
13716 posts
Sat Apr-07-18 04:13 AM

17. "nvm. get hype. Shohei Electronica out here"
In response to Reply # 15

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Sat Apr-07-18 09:25 AM

18. "I’m reminded of Puigs start"
In response to Reply # 17

But this is a pitcher making a pitcher so shook he walked him on 4 pitches with bases loaded LMAO.

He can’t keep it up. He won’t keepnit up.

But man that swing is also a thing of beauty. Looks so effortless.

---

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
57969 posts
Mon Apr-09-18 03:50 PM

30. "Just saw this post and his 3 homers"
In response to Reply # 18

Can’t sleep on these Asians yo. They are hitting machines.

I love seeing a pitcher who can hit. I know they get big money to pitch but gotdamn, it’s baseball.. swing that bat like you want a hit.

shut up already, damn

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39814 posts
Sat Apr-07-18 08:04 PM

19. "Wish the Phillies took a shot at this guy"
In response to Reply # 0

Another pitcher and another bat? Man, that would be sweet.

kinetic94761180
17165 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 05:20 PM

20. "perfect through four in his home opener-"
In response to Reply # 0

hitting 100 on the gun w/ 7k....

DROkayplayer™

kinetic94761180
17165 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 05:46 PM

21. "through five-"
In response to Reply # 20

10k.

DROkayplayer™

kinetic94761180
17165 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 06:03 PM

22. "through six-"
In response to Reply # 21

11k.

DROkayplayer™

kinetic94761180
17165 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 06:30 PM

23. "prob done after 7."
In response to Reply # 22

1 hit - 1 bb - 12k.

maintained 99+ throughout.

DROkayplayer™

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 07:02 PM

24. "RE: prob done after 7."
In response to Reply # 23

Osssss

---

Castro
Charter member
48153 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 07:02 PM

25. "12 Shuckey Duckeys and only one Quack Quack. "
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 08:53 PM

26. "RE: 12 Shuckey Duckeys and only one Quack Quack. "
In response to Reply # 25

damn i just watched all the strikeouts

---

kinetic94761180
17165 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 10:17 PM

27. "RE: Otani Posting Watch"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/AlexPutterman/status/983115612137418753

DROkayplayer™

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56349 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 10:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
28. "."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Apr-08-18 10:34 PM by RobOne4

http://warehousestories.wordpress.com
^^^WORK BLOG
last updated 9-17-08

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
25959 posts
Mon Apr-09-18 01:33 PM

29. "Shohei Hobbs"
In response to Reply # 0

<------- Bryce just better

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Fri Apr-13-18 09:41 AM

35. "Funny you should mention Hobbs..."
In response to Reply # 29

Good piece about tempering expectations, the likelihood of ups and downs, but just enjoying the moment as a fan

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23132592/the-joy-ohtani-sleeping-giant-mlb-next-big-thing

The joy of Ohtani, a sleeping giant and MLB's next big thing
By Bradford Doolittle

Instead of wondering about what might hold Shohei Ohtani back, we should all be marveling about the two-way ride unfolding in front of our eyes.

Imagine a world in which Roy Hobbs exists.

This is about inimitable rookie sensation Shohei Ohtani, but let me make my point using the fictional Hobbs, the protagonist of the great baseball movie "The Natural" (Yes, it was a book first. A great book by Bernard Malamud. But the movie works best for our purposes.) Spoiler alert: Let's pretend Hobbs did not get shot by Barbara Hershey and manages to reach the majors, out of nowhere, as a flame-throwing, power-hitting young man.

Given what we know about him -- the unprecedented arm on the mound, the unmatchable power at the plate -- we would have a fictional character doing something similar to what Ohtani is doing right now. Ohtani is not the Japanese Babe Ruth. He's the Japanese Roy Hobbs.

Does that little bit of hype annoy you? If it does, I kind of feel sorry for you.

What we remember about Hobbs is that he was nearly destroyed by the cynical work of those around him. As if driven by a mania induced by a primordial version of social media, sportswriter Max Mercy was fixated on finding out where Hobbs came from, what his flaws were and where his skeletons lie.

The problem was that while the cynical Mercy recognized the beauty of it all, he couldn't accept it at face value: No, this kind of unique greatness just does not happen, so there must be something else at work.

Mercy has to dig, spread doubt, amplify the negative and, ultimately, aid those who would corrupt Hobbs. All in search of that something else. Why? So he can prove he was right all along.

When it comes to Ohtani, let's not be Max Mercy.

The range of outcomes for Ohtani remains vast. That's true of all young players, but it's more true for him because only a handful of players have ever possessed his diversity of gifts. Yet, he has faced only one team as a pitcher. He has less than a week's worth of plate appearances. We've seen the gifts on display -- the searing fastball, the diving splitter and the explosion off the bat when he barrels up a pitch. But what he has done so far has to replicated (or at least approached) many times over the span of many, many games before we can say he's the real thing.

Much could go wrong. Ohtani could get hurt, as he was last season in Japan. Teams could learn to lay off his splitter and focus on jumping on his slider. At the plate, he may struggle once a book on how to pitch him is established. Supertalented players have failed at this game before. It's the nature of the endeavor, and it remains far too early to draw any firm conclusions about Ohtani.

Still, there is an aspect to the coverage of Ohtani that is hard to fathom. Ever since he signed with the Los Angeles Angels over the winter, it feels like there has been as much written and said about what he can't, shouldn't and might not be able to do as about his fantastical possibilities. He has been scrutinized like few rookies in recent memory, for good reason. Nevertheless, Ohtani has risen above it all so far.

No matter what happens from here, Ohtani has already done things we have never seen. Even Babe Ruth never had an eight-day stretch when he won two games as a starter and hit three home runs at the plate. Ohtani accomplished that within the first 10 games of his career. He has struck out 18 batters, walked two and leads the majors with a 0.462 WHIP. The WHIP figure ranks fourth all time among players with at least 13 innings pitched. At the plate, he has an OPS+ of 236. No one with a minimum of Ohtani's 29 plate appearances has a better career mark. No one! Chew on that combination of numbers for a minute.

Sure, this can be true only because Ohtani is at the very beginning of his journey, but that's kind of the point. Let's not harp on that fact that this level of production almost certainly won't last. Let's not overscrutinize what might emerge as flaws in his skill set. Let's not worry about whether a big league player in the 21st century can withstand the rigors of pulling double duty for a full season. Can't we just enjoy it while it lasts?

Roy Hobbs was not a real person. But as long as Ohtani is doing what he's doing, let's pretend The Natural has finally come to life.

---

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Thu Apr-12-18 07:58 AM

31. "Even Otani no match for the GOATGOD"
In response to Reply # 0

https://deadspin.com/fragile-rookie-shohei-ohtani-unable-to-overcome-dominan-1825164683

---

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Thu Apr-12-18 08:01 AM

32. "Back in the lineup as a hitter last night"
In response to Reply # 0

Leads of Angels scoring with a 2 out RBI single.

ends up 1-3 with a BB

---

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Thu Apr-12-18 03:45 PM

33. "Wants to play more:"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/angels-phenom-shohei-ohtani-wants-the-team-to-play-him-more/

I actually like the every Sunday pitching routine for the foreseeable future. Maybe Id ramp him up a bit more to get ready for pitching in the playoffs...but I guess by then you can also argue you wouldnt want to burn him out for playoffs. If the Angels continue to playt well, no real reason to up his workload

As long as he's hitting this way, id hit him more...vs lefties, maybe just rest him days before starts.

They said he needed as much exposure as possible because his hitting was behind his pitching.

---

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Thu Apr-12-18 10:41 PM

34. "RE: Otani Posting Watch"
In response to Reply # 0

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/984618459672858624

---

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Sun Apr-15-18 03:49 PM

36. "Starting in 38 degree Kc today."
In response to Reply # 0

Playing same time as Bron, GOAT of another sport

---

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10868 posts
Sun Apr-15-18 03:49 PM

37. "PPD'd"
In response to Reply # 36

He'll throw Tuesday in California in less awful conditions

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Sun Apr-15-18 04:40 PM

38. "Should be fun, vs the Red Sox"
In response to Reply # 37

Wonder what means for the Giants next Sunday or if it pushes him to a matchup with the Astros

---

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
70024 posts
Sun Apr-15-18 04:48 PM

39. "Can't wait to see this guy in person"
In response to Reply # 0

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Sun Apr-15-18 05:18 PM

40. "RE: Can't wait to see this guy in person"
In response to Reply # 39

Where will you get a chance?

---

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Tue Apr-17-18 08:30 PM

41. "Ohtani vs Price the two best teams to start the season in the AL"
In response to Reply # 0

shpuld be fun

Ill try and stay up and watch a few innings

---

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Tue Apr-17-18 10:27 PM

42. "Rough 1st he struggled with control"
In response to Reply # 41

And mookie led off the game with a HR after a 7 pitch AB

I think he threw 30 pitches that first inning. Lucky to get out with 1 rub

---

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Wed Apr-18-18 11:18 AM

43. "Only got 2 innings today"
In response to Reply # 42

In terms of score it couldve been a lot worse than 3 runs.

His velocity was there but he had so little control. Lots of balls in the dirt or just way out of the zone. He had a couple nice pitches, but I hardly saw the splitter yesterday.

In 2 innings he through 69 pitches. Got to full count like 6 times. Interested to see if he'll be in the lineup Sunday.

---

houston_hardhead
Member since Jan 24th 2010
550 posts
Wed Apr-18-18 12:07 PM

44. "GOAThani got shelled...which is fine bcz hes hitting 2 Hr next game"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------

So i'm smokin on this cactus, bangin Fat Patrick
hustla til i die baby grindin like a savage
pimp game sweet, breakin ankles and feet
cuz these hoes break they toes til they job complete

H-Town made L.A. paid

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Wed Apr-25-18 11:43 AM

45. "No decision outing vs the Stros last night"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-25-18 11:45 AM by ShawndmeSlanted

He dint pitch super well, but wouldbe gotten the win if the Angels held on.

He threw 2 101 mph pitches which puts him on a short list of guys that have done it in recent decades (in the same game).

The blister didnt seem to be bothering him as much, but the splitter still wasnt hitting its spot.

When he just has to rely on that FB, as good as it is....guys can take it for a ride when the connect.

I mean this shit right here...

https://streamable.com/pv33r

---

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Fri Apr-27-18 10:47 PM

46. "Severino? Check"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/8fh2pz/shohei_ohtani_pulls_it_to_right_for_his_4th_hr_of/?st=JGISA7UE&sh=4e1abb12

---

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Mon May-14-18 02:44 PM

47. "damn, im still the only one on this board"
In response to Reply # 0

talking about the kid?

https://deadspin.com/shohei-ohtanis-starting-to-reveal-all-his-powers-1826005968

---

Marauder21
Charter member
47641 posts
Mon May-14-18 03:14 PM

48. "Those first three innings were disgusting"
In response to Reply # 47

Just K'ing everybody, was relieved when the Twins were able to get one.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Sun May-20-18 10:07 PM

49. "4-1"
In response to Reply # 0

More nastiness today

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/shohei-ohtanis-splitter-is-absolutely-devastating/c-277619126

---

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Wed May-30-18 10:06 PM

50. "Stupid rain started falling just as Ohtani was really getting hot "
In response to Reply # 0

---

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Thu May-31-18 11:20 AM

51. "right before the rain he threw this 101.1 MPH fastball"
In response to Reply # 50

fastest pitch by a starter this year

https://www.mlb.com/news/shohei-ohtani-throws-fastest-pitch-for-starter/c-279061544

---

Marauder21
Charter member
47641 posts
Fri Jun-08-18 03:15 PM

52. "UGGGGHHHHH"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/LAAngelsPR/status/1005162630338600960

Shohei Ohtani will be placed on the disabled list with a grade 2 sprain of the UCL. He underwent a PRP and Stem Cell injection yesterday with Dr. Steve Yoon in Los Angeles. He will be re-evaluated in 3 weeks and we will update his plan of care at that time.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

will_5198
Charter member
59866 posts
Fri Jun-08-18 07:12 PM

53. "TJ seems inevitable."
In response to Reply # 52

that really sucks

--------

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Fri Jun-08-18 08:21 PM

54. "yea i wonder what happened for both"
In response to Reply # 52

I know the UCL has been an ongoing issue-- but is it weird that it flared up after a week off. Were they not monitoring and if so, why didnt they just move his start?

but how did he have a whole week off, go through bullpen sessions and then have the blister develop that quick in that game?

---

ShawndmeSlanted
42402 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 07:18 PM

55. "he's back we're back"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.mlb.com/news/shohei-ohtani-stars-at-hitting-to-center-field/c-285018386

---

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2629752 Previous topic | Next topic