Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2628450

Subject: "Ok..sooo College Basketball anyone? AP preseason released:" Previous topic | Next topic
auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Thu Nov-02-17 11:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ok..sooo College Basketball anyone? AP preseason released:"

I'm not sure why Mizzou isn't top 25 right today but ok. And they just gave KU a good run in an exhibition. Gonna be fun watching Cuonzo push that team. Heels starting that title defense with Joel Berry hurt (lmao at punching a wall over a 2K game). But gonna be fun seeing if we can surprise some people and challenge for a 3rd straight year.

RANK SCHOOL 2016-17 RECORD POINTS
1 Duke (33) 28-9 1572
2 Michigan State (13) 20-15 1520
3 Arizona (18) 32-5 1506
4 Kansas (1) 31-5 1439
5 Kentucky 32-6 1340
6 Villanova 32-4 1284
7 Wichita State 31-5 1270
8 Florida 27-9 1100
9 North Carolina 33-7 1047
10 Southern California 26-10 995
11 West Virginia 28-9 840
12 Cincinnati 30-6 837
13 Miami 21-12 836
14 Notre Dame 26-10 814
15 Minnesota 24-10 642
16 Louisville 25-9 570
17 Xavier 24-14 544
18 Gonzaga 37-2 500
19 Northwestern 24-12 473
20 Purdue 27-8 362
21 UCLA 31-5 340
22 Saint Mary's 29-5 333
23 Seton Hall 21-12 274
24 Baylor 27-8 163
25 Texas A&M 16-15 130

Others receiving votes: Alabama 86, Virginia 57, Rhode Island 49, TCU 46, Providence 34, Missouri 19, Virginia Tech 16, Wisconsin 14, Butler 13, Texas 10, Maryland 7, Oklahoma 7, Nevada 7, Michigan 6, Dayton 5, Middle Tennessee 4, Ball State 4, SMU 3, Oakland 2, Oregon 2, South Carolina 1, Harvard 1, UCF 1.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
No major beef with the poll, but a few gripes:
Nov 02nd 2017
I was surprised you didn't make this post
Nov 02nd 2017
How'd I do?
Mar 02nd 2018
That's a good spot for us.
Nov 02nd 2017
I wanted a change, I got it. I'm excited.
Nov 02nd 2017
very very very excited.
Mar 02nd 2018
yeah I'm looking forward to seeing how Tilmon and the Porter brothers...
Nov 02nd 2017
9th for real? aight bet.
Nov 02nd 2017
Fuuuuuuuuck, Duke is good.
Nov 04th 2017
just hoping Cuse keeps that winning season streak going
Nov 04th 2017
So much hinges on Howard and/or Thorpe.
Nov 04th 2017
      Yeah...and I’m even more worried about the frontcourt
Nov 04th 2017
           I agree. They've got the length to make the zone work.
Nov 04th 2017
                Alright I feel better, but still would be surprised at more than 18 wins
Nov 10th 2017
                     Yeah, it's a building year.
Nov 11th 2017
                     also - lol at Tyus Battle not being on preseason All ACC
Nov 21st 2017
                     Good call-- he's got a good shot here.
Mar 02nd 2018
                     ^^^ shit, might've called the number on the nose, lol
Mar 02nd 2018
Season started today. Let's go Elon!!! lol
Nov 10th 2017
Marvin Bagley is such a grown fucking man.
Nov 10th 2017
Indiana lost by 30 to Indiana State?
Nov 10th 2017
Did Larry Bird play?
Nov 10th 2017
Lol Ohio State fans wanted Archie Miller so bad.. I think he'll be fine ...
Nov 11th 2017
      I agree, he’ll be fine but you know any large, rabid fanbase will frea...
Nov 11th 2017
      So do I. Brad Stevens couldn't win this season with that roster.
Nov 11th 2017
jeeeezzzus can Walton kindly stfu about China and Alibaba’s greatness
Nov 10th 2017
Well, UCLA's best players and GT's best player were on the court.
Nov 11th 2017
Enjoy Marvin Bagley on the college floor while you can.
Nov 12th 2017
RE: Enjoy Marvin Bagley on the college floor while you can.
Nov 12th 2017
Porter done for the year
Nov 21st 2017
Ah...come on!
Nov 21st 2017
Damn, I was looking forward to watching him
Nov 21st 2017

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Thu Nov-02-17 11:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "No major beef with the poll, but a few gripes:"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd have Wichita State Top 5. If they make it past that road game against Baylor, I wouldn't be stunned if they go undefeated through Valentine's Day.

The poll is higher on Miami and Notre Dame than I am. I'm concerned about Walker's health entering the season and how it will affect his efficiency, and I think Gibbs/Pflueger is a downgrade from Vasturia/Beachem. I'd put them both in the later teens.

I do not think Gonzaga should start the season ranked above St. Mary's. St. Mary's was the consensus pick to win their conference by the conference's coaches.

I think the poll is low on Seton Hall, a team I'd strongly consider putting above Xavier. Seton Hall finished above Xavier last year, and they bring back four of five starters-- I know Bluiett went crazy in the tournament and he'll likely go crazy most of this season, but I'd be more inclined to swap the Pirates and the Musketeers than have them where they are.

I'd make the argument for Bama over both Baylor and Mizzou preseason, but they'd all be in my contention for the 25th spot. Mizzou looked really good in that Kansas exhibition, but I worry right now about PG play and Tilmon's ability to stay on the court. They also exhibited some textbook Cuonzo offensive flaws in that game-- the offense was sort of "okay, toss it to a talented guy and let him go ISO." That style should keep them in the Top 25 hunt because of their talent level... but I'd bet they'll drop some dumb games playing that way too.

Our podcast will drop some conference preview episodes over the weekend.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

auragin_boi
20939 posts
Thu Nov-02-17 11:44 AM

2. "I was surprised you didn't make this post"
In response to Reply # 1

I know life has been busy for you though.

I'm actually more excited about this season than I've been in a few years. And that's coming off a title honeymoon and facing another Duke preseason #1.

I just think the season is going to be fun to watch. Maybe I'm vested more now that the Bulls are actively sucking and we are trying to get a top 5 pick.

I still think Mizzou should have at least been in the 20's though.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Fri Mar-02-18 04:07 PM

30. "How'd I do?"
In response to Reply # 1

>I'd have Wichita State Top 5. If they make it past that road
>game against Baylor, I wouldn't be stunned if they go
>undefeated through Valentine's Day.

Clearly the McDuffie injury hurt more than I expected, lol. Still, wouldn't be surprised if they end up a Top 3 seed in the tournament.

>The poll is higher on Miami and Notre Dame than I am. I'm
>concerned about Walker's health entering the season and how it
>will affect his efficiency, and I think Gibbs/Pflueger is a
>downgrade from Vasturia/Beachem. I'd put them both in the
>later teens.

Good calls from me here, though the Notre Dame call has an obvious asterisk. Still, Gibbs/Pflueger *have been* worse than Vasturia/Beachem (tho Geben came on in Bonzie's absence admirably, to be fair). They'd be a tourney team with Colson, but I still don't buy that they'd have been a Top 4/5 seed in the NCAA tournament. Miami's been outside of the Top 25 most of the year, even when Bruce Brown was healthy, so I think the questions about that team's efficiency questions were fair-- they're just so damn young, and Walker definitely struggled to start the year.

>I do not think Gonzaga should start the season ranked above
>St. Mary's. St. Mary's was the consensus pick to win their
>conference by the conference's coaches.

Coin flip-- Gonzaga has the better resume right now, but they split regular season (both on the road!), and I'm hoping that a rematch in the WCC finals will tilt in St. Mary's favor. They didn't win the conference (sneaky tough game on the road against San Fran, a Ken Pom Tier B game), but they still very well could win the WCC Tourney and get an auto-bid. Landale is just a beast.

>I think the poll is low on Seton Hall, a team I'd strongly
>consider putting above Xavier. Seton Hall finished above
>Xavier last year, and they bring back four of five starters--
>I know Bluiett went crazy in the tournament and he'll likely
>go crazy most of this season, but I'd be more inclined to swap
>the Pirates and the Musketeers than have them where they are.

lmao, biggest miss of this post-- I guess to my credit, I've consistently put Seton Hall too high the last two years in a row. I keep saying, "They couldn't shoot last year, that should improve, and they turned the ball over a lot, that should improve." And while they did improve in both areas this year, they're still bad in both areas. Note to self: STOP BELIEVING IN SETON HALL.

Meanwhile, Quentin Goodin got a lot better this year, and Naji Marshall gave Xavier more right away than I expected. Beastly year for Chris Mack-- every goddamn team in the country should be preparing to back up a dump truck of cash for this dude.

>I'd make the argument for Bama over both Baylor and Mizzou
>preseason, but they'd all be in my contention for the 25th
>spot.

FUCK THIS PICK LOOKED GOOD EVEN A WEEK AGO. Crimson Tide have fallen the fuck off over the last week-- I get losing at Kentucky and Auburn back to back... but following that with two HOME LOSSES, UGH.

Mizzou has impressed me considering the Porter absence. BracketMatrix has them at an 8 seed, with Alabama as an 11 and Baylor as a 12. Alabama and Baylor have both peeked into the Top 25 at points in the season, IIRC, but they've been way more up and down overall than Mizzou.

Mizzou looked really good in that Kansas exhibition, but
>I worry right now about PG play and Tilmon's ability to stay
>on the court. They also exhibited some textbook Cuonzo
>offensive flaws in that game-- the offense was sort of "okay,
>toss it to a talented guy and let him go ISO." That style
>should keep them in the Top 25 hunt because of their talent
>level... but I'd bet they'll drop some dumb games playing that
>way too.

Even without Porter, this was deadly accurate, minus the Top 25 hunt bit (which they would've been with Porter, imo). They really live and die by the 3 and the ball definitely has a tendency to stop on offense in close games.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Nov-02-17 11:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "That's a good spot for us."
In response to Reply # 0

Shit will be rocky in the beginning, but as it gets into the new year and Vando comes back... there's gonna be so many "long armed Africans" (c) O.E. coming at the opposing teams offenses.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

guru0509
Charter member
45358 posts
Thu Nov-02-17 01:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I wanted a change, I got it. I'm excited."
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

guru0509
Charter member
45358 posts
Fri Mar-02-18 02:21 PM

29. "very very very excited."
In response to Reply # 4

>

-------------------

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Nov-02-17 01:25 PM

5. "yeah I'm looking forward to seeing how Tilmon and the Porter brothers..."
In response to Reply # 0

do at Mizzou

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85076 posts
Thu Nov-02-17 01:36 PM

6. "9th for real? aight bet."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sat Nov-04-17 07:12 PM

7. "Fuuuuuuuuck, Duke is good. "
In response to Reply # 0

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18639 posts
Sat Nov-04-17 07:28 PM

8. "just hoping Cuse keeps that winning season streak going"
In response to Reply # 0

There’s promise there, but lots of young players that will take time to develop. Fast forward a year and things will be looking much different.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sat Nov-04-17 07:37 PM

9. "So much hinges on Howard and/or Thorpe."
In response to Reply # 8

I have no faith in Howard, so if they want to have a successful ACC season, I feel like Thorpe really has to play winning basketball. That or Howard has to be a *lot* better than he was last season.

DJR
18639 posts
Sat Nov-04-17 08:24 PM

10. "Yeah...and I’m even more worried about the frontcourt"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat Nov-04-17 08:28 PM by DJR

>I have no faith in Howard, so if they want to have a
>successful ACC season, I feel like Thorpe really has to play
>winning basketball. That or Howard has to be a *lot* better
>than he was last season.

I have no faith in Howard’s decision making or his handle. He was just so, so bad when he was the starting PG in those early season losses to garbage UConn and Georgetown teams. He can be ok as the third guard, with less responsibility. His shooting looks better, and has shown potential to be a strong defender. He should play better than last year. But running the team? I don’t see it, I hope Thorpe can get it done but he’s been hurt. Should be good defensively in the backcourt though. I do think Battle will slide to SF a lot and all 3 of those guards will be on the court.

The frontcourt is mostly skinny freshmen. Sidibe looks a lot better than I expected at this point at C, and should be the best option. Chukwu has never shown much. Moyer plays hard but he’s not the caliber of F that would typically get any tick at this point in his career at Cuse and he’s starting. Brissett is legit and underrated. Dolezaj is athletic and plays smart, but very skinny and shot needs work. In time he’ll be good.

My hot takes impressions off one exhibition game and some high school clips. If they’re going to overachieve and make the tournament it will have to develop into a great defensive team. I love the potential for the future there, hopefully it comes together quickly. Darius Bazley is coming soon....

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sat Nov-04-17 08:59 PM

11. "I agree. They've got the length to make the zone work."
In response to Reply # 10

But with youth and not a ton of strength, they've got to figure out how it works quickly. Especially with a relatively weak SOS in conference, they'll need a couple of marquee wins OOC to not put too much pressure on the conference play.

DJR
18639 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 09:38 PM

14. "Alright I feel better, but still would be surprised at more than 18 wins"
In response to Reply # 11

Defensively they already look better than they did at any point last year. Length everywhere, good athleticism and lots of hungry players that try hard. Once they really get the rotations down, they will give some teams fits on that end.

Offense will be ugly at times.

It’s a building year, I like all 5 freshmen’s potential and next years class brings in a couple instant impact guys. Can’t wait.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sat Nov-11-17 04:50 PM

21. "Yeah, it's a building year."
In response to Reply # 14

Plus the top half of the ACC is just so brutal.

DJR
18639 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 03:26 PM

28. "also - lol at Tyus Battle not being on preseason All ACC"

or basically any of the award watchlists. Once his ankle healed up, he was a big time player last year and several shoot first teammates are gone, so he’s on a team where he needs to carry a heavy load.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Fri Mar-02-18 04:13 PM

31. "Good call-- he's got a good shot here."
In response to Reply # 28

I imagine Bagley, Maye, and Guy are pretty close to locks. That leaves two slots. They'll be filled by Marcquise Reed, Justin Robinson, Jerome Robinson, Tyus Battle, Joel Berry, Allerik Freeman, Matt Farrell, or Wendell Carter.

If Battle doesn't get first, he's a lock for second. And the story about how many minutes he's played gives him a good narrative hook to secure media attention over some of the stars of better teams.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Fri Mar-02-18 04:16 PM

32. "^^^ shit, might've called the number on the nose, lol"

Decent shot at 19 on Saturday, tho Clemson's been shooting really well and Mitchell's back.

auragin_boi
20939 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 01:58 PM

12. "Season started today. Let's go Elon!!! lol"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-10-17 01:59 PM by auragin_boi

A little nervous about UNI but at least it's a home game.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 09:06 PM

13. "Marvin Bagley is such a grown fucking man."
In response to Reply # 12

Duval, Trent, and Carter all played fantastically--- even O'Connell in limited minutes. This is just such a different team in terms of having tremendous talent but *also* obvious roles.

DJR
18639 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 10:39 PM

15. "Indiana lost by 30 to Indiana State?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hoosier fans must be in full meltdown mode after 1 game, lol.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 11:17 PM

16. "Did Larry Bird play?"
In response to Reply # 15

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

guru0509
Charter member
45358 posts
Sat Nov-11-17 09:50 AM

18. "Lol Ohio State fans wanted Archie Miller so bad.. I think he'll be fine ..."
In response to Reply # 15

>Hoosier fans must be in full meltdown mode after 1 game,
>lol.

-------------------

DJR
18639 posts
Sat Nov-11-17 10:12 AM

19. "I agree, he’ll be fine but you know any large, rabid fanbase will frea..."
In response to Reply # 18

after a start like that. Indiana State shot 17-26 from 3, lol.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sat Nov-11-17 04:49 PM

20. "So do I. Brad Stevens couldn't win this season with that roster."
In response to Reply # 18

Now, maybe he would've avoided that degree of embarrassment on opening night, lol. But still, it's gonna be a long season for Indiana. (Probably should be for Ohio State too, and I like Holtmann also.)

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 11:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "jeeeezzzus can Walton kindly stfu about China and Alibaba’s greatness"
In response to Reply # 0

the first 10mins of the telecast has felt like a giant infomercial for Xi Jinping’s Chinese Dream policy. Doesn’t help the teams have their best players arrested/suspended I️ guess

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sat Nov-11-17 04:52 PM

22. "Well, UCLA's best players and GT's best player were on the court. "
In response to Reply # 17
Sat Nov-11-17 04:58 PM by Frank Longo

But GT's second and third best players weren't, obviously-- though if Game 1 was any indication, Jose Alvarado can ball.

Riley was the only one of the three arrested UCLA guys I expected to play real minutes in that game. Ball certainly wouldn't, and Hill is more of a backup at this point IIRC.

Walton's rambling because that's what Walton does, haha. People tune in to hear him ask his co-broadcaster if he's ever been to Senegal apropos of nothing.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sun Nov-12-17 04:21 AM

23. "Enjoy Marvin Bagley on the college floor while you can."
In response to Reply # 0

Absolutely insane to think he could be playing high school ball today.

MagJayRan
Member since Dec 12th 2002
1254 posts
Sun Nov-12-17 09:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "RE: Enjoy Marvin Bagley on the college floor while you can."
In response to Reply # 23

His motor is insane. At some point he's going to develop a jumper too although that will probably come when he's already in the league. Love the way him and Carter play together.

Mike-4
Dean-2
Rupp- Dead and racist

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 02:30 PM

25. "Porter done for the year"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

auragin_boi
20939 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 02:41 PM

26. "Ah...come on!"
In response to Reply # 25

Dang it! This sux for college basketball.

DJR
18639 posts
Tue Nov-21-17 03:01 PM

27. "Damn, I was looking forward to watching him"
In response to Reply # 25

Hopefully this isn’t an injury that will affect him long term.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2628450 Previous topic | Next topic