Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2627827

Subject: " Yuli Gurriel won't be suspended for any World Series games.. (ESPN swip..." Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Sat Oct-28-17 06:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
" Yuli Gurriel won't be suspended for any World Series games.. (ESPN swip..."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21197888/houston-astros-first-baseman-yuli-gurriel-suspended-world-series-games-following-gesture-comments-los-angeles-dodgers-pitcher-yu-darvish

Scott Lauber
ESPN Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- Astros first baseman Yuli Gurriel will be suspended for five games -- but none during the World Series -- for racially insensitive behavior directed at Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Yu Darvish, baseball commissioner Rob Manfred said Saturday.

Gurriel disrupted the World Series here Friday night when he used his fingers to slant his eyes in a gesture that is offensive to people of Asian descent and mouthed a derogatory word in Spanish after hitting a home run against Darvish and returning to the Astros' dugout in the second inning of Game 3.

Manfred met Saturday with Gurriel and said the 33-year-old rookie, a native of Cuba, "expressed remorse." He also noted Darvish's desire to "move forward" from the ugly incident. But Manfred said he also couldn't allow Gurriel's actions to go unpunished, leaving him to determine only the length of the punishment and when to enforce it.

In deciding to wait until the beginning of next season, Manfred explained he wanted to make sure Gurriel's penalty included docking his $12 million salary -- he will lose $322,581. He also didn't want to punish the rest of the Astros players for the behavior of one individual.

"There is no question that it is a difficult decision as to when the appropriate timing was," Manfred said. "Obviously World Series games are different than regular-season games, and I used my best judgment as to where the appropriate disciplinary level fell. I understand that people may have different views. But it was my best judgment that this timing was appropriate."

Another part of Manfred's calculus involved trying to make sure Gurriel didn't exercise his right through the players' union to appeal his suspension. The union announced in a statement that it will not appeal.

In a separate statement, Gurriel described his actions as "indefensible."

"I sincerely apologize to everyone that I offended with my actions," Gurriel said. "I deeply regret it."

As part of the punishment, MLB will require him to undergo "sensitivity training" in the offseason.

Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow released a statement in which he said the team was "surprised and disappointed by the behavior displayed by Yuli Gurriel" and announced the club will donate the first baseman's lost salary to a charity that supports diversity efforts. But Gurriel also remained in the Astros' Game 4 lineup Saturday night, playing first base and batting fifth. Houston leads the best-of-seven series, 2-1.

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts, who's mother is Japanese, lauded Darvish's handling of the situation.

"The way that Yu responded I think on camera, through social media, I completely commend him, support him, echo his thoughts that we need to learn from this. It's obviously not acceptable," Roberts said.

Speaking through an interpreter after the game Friday night, Gurriel said he made the gesture because he hasn't had success in the past against Japanese pitchers. He also explained that both the gesture and the word -- "chinito," loosely translated as "little Chinese boy" -- are commonly used in Cuba, although he admitted he realized they are considered offensive in many places, including Darvish's native Japan. Gurriel played one season in Japan in 2014.

Based on Saturday's meeting, Manfred said he believes Gurriel understands the meaning behind his actions.

"He maintains that he did not intend to be offensive, but he understands that he was. And that's what's important," Manfred said. "I think that we all need continuing reminders and education in this area as to what's appropriate and not appropriate, and I do feel like is an important part of the entire package."

Manfred declined to discuss specifics of his conversation with the players' union other than to say it was "supportive of the general proposition that this type of behavior was not appropriate in our game."

MLB went beyond its precedent for penalties for similar behavior.

In 2012, then-Toronto Blue Jays infielder Yunel Escobar received a three-game suspension for wearing eye-black with a homophobic slur written in Spanish. Earlier this season, Blue Jays center fielder Kevin Pillar and Oakland Athletics outfielder Matt Joyce were each suspended two games without pay for yelling an anti-gay slur, Pillar at an Atlanta Braves pitcher and Joyce at a fan.

"I think that the two , that was kind of the standard that had evolved over three of four incidents was inadequate to deal with the particulars of this situation," Manfred said, "and I will continue to deal with each situation on its own merits."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This LA Times article adds some context to the racial dynamics (swipe)
Oct 28th 2017
im sorry growing up where i grew up i equated chinito
Oct 28th 2017
Because you are Asian doesn't mean you SHOULD be offended
Oct 29th 2017
Wait, when Spanish people call other cultures by nicknames
Oct 29th 2017
lol ikr
Oct 29th 2017
chinito is whatever...heard it used with love and disdain both
Oct 29th 2017
      yeah that took it too far for sure, the gesture was the real dipshit par...
Nov 03rd 2017
Fuckin stupid
Oct 28th 2017
they're not gonna suspend him in the middle of the world series
Oct 29th 2017
Yeah. The half measure doesn't seem just.
Oct 29th 2017
      If it was one WS game and he appeals, then what?
Oct 29th 2017
           Then last night of course he gets a huge ovation from the Houston crowd
Oct 29th 2017
           The point about the appeal is a good one.
Oct 29th 2017
           he and the team should have agreed to bench him for at least one game
Oct 29th 2017
           Doesn’t matter if he appealed the suspension if it was immediate
Oct 29th 2017
                It does make them look weak
Oct 30th 2017
                     it'd be funny if he or another player did it again this WS
Nov 01st 2017
                          meh i think you're stretching it to an extreme
Nov 03rd 2017
                               Manfred opened the door to that, tho.
Nov 04th 2017
i'm both pissed he didn't get something more immediate
Oct 28th 2017
You think so?
Oct 29th 2017
former astro bud norris and current astro brian mccann
Oct 29th 2017
Because he's a POC who made a (obscene) gesture towards another
Oct 29th 2017
they should suspend his hair
Oct 29th 2017
Bishop Don Magic Kellogg's
Oct 29th 2017
You can literally get away with anything if you do it to Asian people.
Oct 29th 2017
when i was in middle school we had this convience store right
Oct 29th 2017
      Yeah, St. Louis is the same way about Chinese food shops.
Oct 29th 2017
           I heard it so often I didn't know it's a slur.
Nov 03rd 2017
not banning him for WS games is almost as offensive
Oct 29th 2017
Because the offender ain't White.
Oct 29th 2017
Manfred stands for nothing. well, money I guess.
Oct 29th 2017
...aaaannnd now they roll out Bush Sr for the ceremonial pitch
Oct 29th 2017
Enron guys were in Fiji I think
Oct 30th 2017
hopefully this sets up Yu getting another shot game 7
Oct 30th 2017
Yuli got the last laugh.
Nov 01st 2017
that's a weird way to frame this
Nov 02nd 2017
Yay for the racist?
Nov 02nd 2017
      My favorite racists are the laughing ones.
Nov 02nd 2017
           especially the "last" laughing ones
Nov 02nd 2017
                I like racists that don't laugh 3rd
Nov 02nd 2017
im sure the dodgers would love a do over on that.
Nov 02nd 2017
lol
Nov 02nd 2017
Ohhh, he got a shot all right
Nov 03rd 2017
Was everyone who rooted against Gurriel rooting against Floyd?
Nov 02nd 2017
weighing in real quick
Nov 03rd 2017
one thing I didn't see mentioned (tbf I didn't read too much about it)
Nov 03rd 2017
Yeah I didn't even know he was part Persian until recently
Nov 03rd 2017
      RE: Yeah I didn't even know he was part Persian until recently
Nov 03rd 2017
It's light hearted and stupid to a group of non asians LOL
Nov 05th 2017

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Sat Oct-28-17 06:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This LA Times article adds some context to the racial dynamics (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

Some look askew at Yuli Gurriel's dugout squint

Dylan Hernandez

Yuuli Gurriel blasted a Yu Darvish fastball into the left-field stands at Minute Maid Park and social media went into a frenzy.

Not because of the home run, but because of what he did when he returned to the Houston Astros’ bench.

MLB’s international feed caught Gurriel pulling back the corner of his eyes while mouthing the word “chinito,” which translates to something along the lines of “little Chinese boy.” Darvish is from Japan.

My initial reaction: OK, that’s kind of silly, but why is everyone so upset?

Before we go any further, I should probably let you know about my background. My father was born in El Salvador and my mother in Japan. I was born in Los Angeles. So if you have glanced at my picture in these pages and wondered why I have such a strange-looking face, well, there’s your answer.

I was raised by a stay-at-home mother who spoke to my brother and me in her native language. Through middle school, I attended a Saturday Japanese school that was designed for Japanese children who were in the United States for a few years because their parents were here on temporary work assignments. I can speak Japanese, I can read it, and I can still kind of write it.

I spent my childhood criss-crossing cultures, switching languages and identities according to the environment I was in at a particular moment.

That included Sundays in Pomona, where my father drove my brother and me to play soccer with Spanish-speaking kids. There, we were “los chinitos.” I wasn’t offended. My brother wasn’t offended. This was a term of endearment.

I still hear the term. My wife was born in Mexico and came to the United States when she was 6. Every now and then, someone in her family will refer to me as “el chino.”

Still, no offense taken.

I’m sure some members of the Asian American community will say that is because I’m not completely Asian, but I don’t think that’s the case.

There’s a significant part of me that identifies as Japanese.

Really, it’s the context. This might be a hard concept to grasp for anyone who is monocultural or monolingual, but believe me when I tell you racial terms aren’t said with the same level of maliciousness in Spanish as they are in English. Even racist-looking gestures, like the one Guerriel made, aren’t made with the same level of vitriol. Not close.

Of course, just because something is done playfully doesn’t necessarily make it OK. Race- and ethnic-based humor typically demonstrates ignorance, as was the case here with Gurriel, and Latin cultures could use less of that. At the same time, it’s hard for me to be offended by words or actions that weren’t intended to be mean-spirited. Remember when Yasiel Puig and Hanley Ramirez used to feed Juan Uribe bananas in the Dodgers dugout?

I’m not naive to think there isn’t racism in Latin America, particularly toward indigenous people. But it would be misguided to view anything race-related from another culture through an American perspective. This country’s history of race relations is particularly ugly.

If you direct a racial slur or make a racist gesture toward an Asian American person, the words carry the weight of the past, everything from the Chinese Exclusion Act to the internment of Japanese Americans in World War II. Those of us who are ethnic minorities are often sensitive to racially insensitive language because history tells us they are sometimes precursors to legislation intended to disenfranchise people who look like us.

There’s a difference between Gurriel doing and saying something stupid and someone using language representing a system designed to oppress certain groups of people.

The Cuban-born Gurriel played in Japan in 2014. He was predictably apologetic after the game.

“In no moment did I intend to make an offensive gesture toward them,” he said. “On the contrary, I’ve always had a lot of respect for them.”

What happened?

“What happened was that I was commenting how I hadn’t had much luck with Darvish,” he said in Spanish. “I said I thought maybe they saw me as they see themselves and I wanted to see if they would throw me a pitch like that.”

In other words, a fastball.

As for his use of the word “chinito,” Gurriel explained, “It’s because in Cuba and in various places, you don’t say Japanese, you call all Asians ‘chinitos.’”

He apologized for that too.

“I was in Japan and I know they are offended by that,” he said.

Asked if he wanted to speak to Darvish, Gurriel replied, “Sure, yes. I’ve never had anything against Darvish. On the contrary, he’s always been one of the best pitchers. Like I said, I had never had luck against him. If he was offended, I ask for his forgiveness. That wasn’t my intention.”

Equally as predictable was that Darvish wasn’t offended either.

“I saw it, but for me personally it doesn’t really bother me,” he said in Japanese.

Asked if he was upset, Darvish deadpanned, “I’m very, very angry.”

He laughed and added, “No.”

He acknowledged thinking the Astros could have an image problem, as they are certain to have a decent number of fans with Asian backgrounds.

“As citizens of the world, if we can learn from this and take a step forward, I think this could be a good thing,” he said.

Commissioner Rob Manfred is scheduled to speak with Gurriel on Saturday, leading to speculation the Astros’ first baseman could be disciplined. It feels unnecessary. Context matters. Intentions do too. As Darvish said, let this be a lesson learned. Gurriel sounded and looked sincere when he apologized. The guess here is that if he is told to stop acting like an idiot, he will.

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Sat Oct-28-17 07:17 PM

3. "im sorry growing up where i grew up i equated chinito "
In response to Reply # 1

the same as bolio, ma**ate, huero all those

and none of that was good

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 01:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Because you are Asian doesn't mean you SHOULD be offended"
In response to Reply # 1

But being Asian and you weren't offended doesn't mean it wasn't. Cool "el chino" or whatever the term is commonly said in Cuba, I can bet good money that if wasn't made up to be nice LOL it's just a "fun" term because it's commonly used, pretty sure it was always meant in a negative way otherwise they would just call them Asian (not even to be politically correct).

That being said....Saying "el chino" with the fucking eye gesture? Yeah. Go fuck yourself.
----------

IG @h_n_z

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 10:41 AM

12. "Wait, when Spanish people call other cultures by nicknames"
In response to Reply # 1

It’s not meant in a negative way?

Did I read that right?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 01:48 PM

16. "lol ikr"
In response to Reply # 12

sorry doenst work like that

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 01:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "chinito is whatever...heard it used with love and disdain both"
In response to Reply # 1

but doing the mock slanted eyes is racist anywhere you go.

“In no moment did I intend to make an offensive gesture toward them,” Gurriel said.

yeah...bullshit. embarrassing for Houston to show him love, too, with as many Asians live there.

--------

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Fri Nov-03-17 12:45 PM

45. "yeah that took it too far for sure, the gesture was the real dipshit par..."
In response to Reply # 15

it's funny how those terms rely a lot on intonation, like anyone who is darker than mila kunis can get an affectionate "negrito" sobriquet in latin america but then some asshole (cough, luis suarez, cough) uses it as a slur, you definitely know it.

i wish there would be a little bit of actualization on that front but the reality is that there isn't enough exposure to other cultures in many of these places to care.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Sat Oct-28-17 07:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Fuckin stupid"
In response to Reply # 0

Either do it or don’t. This is some grade a cop out.

Im madder at this than a no suspension call.

And yea there’s something lost in translation, but that cannot excuse it because he’s in the US. And not on some “‘Merica” bald eagle shit, but on some I grew up here and one of the ways kids would try to bully me as a young Asian American was to do that stupid slant eye gesture...I don’t care if Yu himself and Jeremy lin the god excused it.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 03:13 AM

7. "they're not gonna suspend him in the middle of the world series"
In response to Reply # 2

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 03:23 AM

8. "Yeah. The half measure doesn't seem just."
In response to Reply # 2

If they didn't want to suspend him in the middle of the WS, fine. Offer a giant fine.

But if they wanted to suspend him, they should have suspended him for Game 5 and left it at that. The way the punishment is now, it looks like the punishment is a token one, just made to appease folks who are offended by racist attitudes and actions.

I shouldn't be saying this, but I wonder if the punishment would have been more stern if the offended group weren't Asian. I don't think people throughout the States are familiar enough with the racial dynamics of mainstream culture and Asian Americans to know the harm caused my Gurriel's actions.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59180 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 07:32 AM

9. "If it was one WS game and he appeals, then what?"
In response to Reply # 8

Would the appeal have even been finalized before the season ended? If not then I get it.

However Manfred mentioning nit wanting to punish the other astros players is the dumbest thing I've ever heard

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 08:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Then last night of course he gets a huge ovation from the Houston crowd"
In response to Reply # 9

---

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 11:24 AM

13. "The point about the appeal is a good one. "
In response to Reply # 9

I remember reading that Manfield thought it was important to get Gurriel to accept the suspension without appealing the decision.

Maybe that's the reason that the punishment turned out like it did. If he's genuinely shaken by his actions, which it seemed he is, and he's not sitting for the World Series, it makes accepting the punishment easier.

Could they could have reached a similar agreement here, it's possible. Financially, it would have cost him less money to sit now rather than the first 5 games of next season. I don't know what the timeline MLB uses for suspensions but if Gurriel did appeal, Manfield could have expedited the regular season process and ruled by Game 5.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 03:14 PM

19. "he and the team should have agreed to bench him for at least one game"
In response to Reply # 13

and then let manfred do what he needed to do.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 11:23 PM

27. "Doesn’t matter if he appealed the suspension if it was immediate"
In response to Reply # 9

It makes them look weak by waiting until next season.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59180 posts
Mon Oct-30-17 02:48 PM

29. "It does make them look weak"
In response to Reply # 27

But they wouldn't have suspended him for 5 WS games.

It woulda been one game, appealed and probably enforced next season anyway.

Well that's what I'm assuming, the time line would be.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Wed Nov-01-17 11:13 PM

32. "it'd be funny if he or another player did it again this WS"
In response to Reply # 29

because MLB is basically ruling that everyone is immune to suspension during the current World Series. what's Manfred going to do, suspend him for the same thing he didn't think was warranted two days ago? he'd look dumb as shit either way.

all sorts of bad precedent for the league and juicy fodder for MLBPA lawyers in the future.

--------

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Fri Nov-03-17 12:42 PM

44. "meh i think you're stretching it to an extreme"
In response to Reply # 32

also being suspended five games without pay is not something most guys are checking for. he was dumb enough to aloofly make this gesture, most guys are not. it isn't like he was getting something out of it, he as just being a dumbass.

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Sat Nov-04-17 06:39 PM

49. "Manfred opened the door to that, tho."
In response to Reply # 44

when the commish says he won't suspend a player in the WS because it hurts their team...well, what are the parameters to that?

--------

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sat Oct-28-17 07:17 PM

4. "i'm both pissed he didn't get something more immediate"
In response to Reply # 0

and certain if this involved disparaging Black people the punishment would be even less severe to non-existent

it's a cold, cold world

also, I knew casual racism against black (and in his case blackish) people was a thing in Japan...I didn't know casual racism against Asians was a thing in Cuba.

(that said, he's solved our huge problem at 1st base so, yay everything else he did.)

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 07:40 AM

10. "You think so?"
In response to Reply # 4

>and certain if this involved disparaging Black people the
>punishment would be even less severe to non-existent
>

I think because there are more black players in the mlb and the US’s history of racism against black and latino folks, the punishment would’ve been swifter and harsher.

I mean what’s an equivalent ? Again because of history it’s hard to imagine a similar situation that isn’t escalated?

A player makes a monkey gesture or throws a banana peel?

Maybe he does some wide nose or big lips gesture? Instant suspension and even bigger media outcry

>it's a cold, cold world
>
>also, I knew casual racism against black (and in his case
>blackish) people was a thing in Japan...I didn't know casual
>racism against Asians was a thing in Cuba.
>
>
>(that said, he's solved our huge problem at 1st base so, yay
>everything else he did.)

---

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 03:11 PM

18. "former astro bud norris and current astro brian mccann"
In response to Reply # 10
Sun Oct-29-17 03:16 PM by rob

have said extremely fucked up things tone policing players for basically not being white/american/baseball enough.

puig's treated like shit for just being young and black.

you can't tell me curt schilling just started being a racist tool over this past decade.

you can't convince me the n word or slurs against latinos never been uttered in the clubhouse or the dugout.

and these are players and managers...we don't even have to get into ownership/fanbase shit like the braves/indians and not believing adam jones.

i agree with you about the gestures but we've internalized these stereotypes way past big lips and monkeys. what's happening with yuli is a reflection of an immigrant not yet knowing the unwritten rules of being racist against another immigrant.

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 02:17 PM

17. "Because he's a POC who made a (obscene) gesture towards another"
In response to Reply # 4

POC, and is from a country where complaining about it could get a person thrown in jail. Apparently, only White offenders are worthy of harsher punishment.

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 03:12 AM

6. "they should suspend his hair"
In response to Reply # 0

dude looks like a pimped-out rooster

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 12:34 PM

14. "Bishop Don Magic Kellogg's"
In response to Reply # 6

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 04:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "You can literally get away with anything if you do it to Asian people. "
In response to Reply # 0

This is some bullshit. He should be sat down for the rest of the World Series.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 05:18 PM

21. "when i was in middle school we had this convience store right "
In response to Reply # 20

by the school

they had the best fucking candy, bulk sour punch/straws every kind of sour candy you could want

annnnnyways

everyone at school (my school was 60-70% latino) called it the "chin*" store

i had no idea that even was referring to the fact that it was ran by Asians, it really never occured to me what i was saying until the day i mentioned it to my mom

she was like THE WHATTT STORE????????

my mom has never come that close to slapping the fuck out of me

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 10:40 PM

26. "Yeah, St. Louis is the same way about Chinese food shops."
In response to Reply # 21

St. Louis has hole-in-the-wall Chinese food restaurants that are called Chop Suey restaurants. But some people also called those shops by a similar but not as offensive term against Asian Americans.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Nov-03-17 08:49 AM

41. "I heard it so often I didn't know it's a slur."
In response to Reply # 26

I didn't know it referred to ppl - I only heard it in reference to those restaurants.

fuck you.

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 05:20 PM

22. "not banning him for WS games is almost as offensive"
In response to Reply # 0

"we think it's wrong, but we don't want to take a strong stand against explicit racism"

fuck you

Shaun Tha Don
18289 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 06:12 PM

23. "Because the offender ain't White."
In response to Reply # 22

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 07:25 PM

24. "Manfred stands for nothing. well, money I guess."
In response to Reply # 22

"I felt it was unfair to punish the other 24 players on the Astros' roster." (c) Manfred

um, that's exactly why suspensions are issued, moron. that's why getting suspended is a selfish action, because it punishes the team as much as the player.

--------

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 07:45 PM

25. "...aaaannnd now they roll out Bush Sr for the ceremonial pitch"
In response to Reply # 0

Stay classy Astros

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Mon Oct-30-17 01:28 PM

28. "Enron guys were in Fiji I think "
In response to Reply # 25

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Mon Oct-30-17 03:26 PM

30. "hopefully this sets up Yu getting another shot game 7"
In response to Reply # 0

---

Shaun Tha Don
18289 posts
Wed Nov-01-17 11:06 PM

31. "Yuli got the last laugh. "
In response to Reply # 30

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Thu Nov-02-17 09:25 AM

34. "that's a weird way to frame this"
In response to Reply # 31

Ceej
66746 posts
Thu Nov-02-17 09:34 AM

35. "Yay for the racist?"
In response to Reply # 31

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Thu Nov-02-17 10:06 AM

37. "My favorite racists are the laughing ones."
In response to Reply # 35

>

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Thu Nov-02-17 10:17 AM

39. "especially the "last" laughing ones"
In response to Reply # 37

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Ceej
66746 posts
Thu Nov-02-17 11:16 AM

40. "I like racists that don't laugh 3rd"
In response to Reply # 39

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85068 posts
Thu Nov-02-17 08:33 AM

33. "im sure the dodgers would love a do over on that."

<--- Big Baller World Order

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Thu Nov-02-17 10:14 AM

38. "lol"

L

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Fri Nov-03-17 12:10 PM

42. "Ohhh, he got a shot all right"

theeraser
Member since Feb 11th 2007
7218 posts
Thu Nov-02-17 09:41 AM

36. "Was everyone who rooted against Gurriel rooting against Floyd?"
In response to Reply # 0

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Fri Nov-03-17 12:16 PM

43. "weighing in real quick"
In response to Reply # 0

I think a fine was more appropriate than a suspension but the fine should have been the maximum allowed under MLB's CBA.

If they were going to suspend him, *one* World Series game weighs a fuck of a lot more than five games in April. So, I think the decision was inappropriate, there should have either been just a fine and obligations or a one-game suspension in the WS.

In terms of what he did, I don't think it was malicious or intended to offend every Asian on earth or something, but what it was juvenile as fuck, insensitive and ignorant. Now having spent a lot of time in Latin America I can tell you "Chinito" is generally just a vague, inappropriate and aloof way to refer to any Asian. The eye-slant thing reminds me of something the high schoolers and college kids at my local bball court in Medallo would do, making fun of accents and shit like that. I don't want to generalize too much but yeah you definitely see it and hear it, it's ostensibly light-hearted and stupid but then you put it in front of millions of people in a diverse setting and it gets pretty horrible.

As far as how the series shook out, well I was bummed for Yu Darvish because he seems like a thoughtful, intelligent person and at his best he is a helluva pitcher.

I did, however, take a little joy in Yuli going yizzzzzzzard the following game if only because it gave me a bit of nostalgia to the way Shane Victorino tortured the Dodgers' fans nearly a decade ago. Strangely I don't hate the Dodgers and much less their two Japanese players (both good pitchers and good guys), but I hate their fans with a passion.

benny
8435 posts
Fri Nov-03-17 01:18 PM

46. "one thing I didn't see mentioned (tbf I didn't read too much about it)"
In response to Reply # 43

is his mixed heritage making Gurriel's gesture even more effed up. Mixed-race people in Japan have, historically, had a very tough time in a society that is still one of the most closed off of major developed countries. It's getting a little easier these days, with more and more "ha-fu", aka half Japanese/half other ethnicity, used in ads and generaly being seen as "cool (which is somewhat objectifying, but counts as progress I guess). But still it still generally sucks to live in Japan and have mixed-heritage. Side-note I think I've read the worst is for those who have a Black parent, sadly no surprise there.
I don't know the particulars of Darvish's upbringing, other than he grew up in Japan, but I'm gonna assume he dealt with that culture a lot growing up, and it probably wasn't always fun. So for him to be mocked with the historical slant-eyed thing is supremely sad to me, when people like him still face a lot of prejudice at home. Not necessarily him personally since he's a huge star, and probably is a huge inspiration to mixed kids in Japan, but if that kind of thing erased casual daily racism I think we'd know.

Everything's been written about the context of Gurriel's act, and as you wrote it was mostly done out of ignorance than sheer bigotry, but it does suck that he really won't face consequences of any note, and meanwhile Yu was the one that graciously took the high road, and yet still finished his playoffs on an incredibly sour note. I'm not a Dodgers fan by any stretch, but I'm definitely rooting for him to bounce back from this next year.

Oh and lastly, MOTHERFUCK the Astros fans who gave Gurriel and the Bushies a rousing cheer in game 4. Living in TX I know very well people aren't as bad as the elected officials make it seem, but there are also reminders like this that actually, there's a reason why the nincompoops keep getting voted in.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Fri Nov-03-17 01:40 PM

47. "Yeah I didn't even know he was part Persian until recently"
In response to Reply # 46

my homie who works for ESPN is a real-ass dude, speaks three languages and one is Farsi, fam is from iran. he was telling me how hype persians were when darvish arrived and i was like "huh?" i played it cool and google later. explains his surname, i guess.

it does add another layer of fucked-upness to this but i loved darvish's reaction. either gurriel is a dummy, not a monster in my book.

benny
8435 posts
Fri Nov-03-17 02:10 PM

48. "RE: Yeah I didn't even know he was part Persian until recently"
In response to Reply # 47

> but i loved
>darvish's reaction.

yup this is what I'd rather focus on

either gurriel is a dummy, not a monster
>in my book.

probably, I'd rather not dwell on him too much. Hope he understood how dumb/wrong he was and can be a positive contributor in the future. Tipping your cap is one thing, what would be cool if he can get involved off the diamond too

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Sun Nov-05-17 07:54 PM

50. "It's light hearted and stupid to a group of non asians LOL"
In response to Reply # 43

Because it doesnt offend that group doesnt mean't it's not offensive. Lighthearted or not.

Its not even the word, I get it. Words like that amongst other cultures where they don't really mix amongst other cultures too tough, doesn't mean its not offensive tho. Thats like "Coolie" amongst West Indians. Shit is pretty offensive but is said mad casual. I can get past the word "Chinito" tho. BUT the eye gesture? LMAO fuck no. There is no excuse you can make for that. Thats the thing people who try to make excuses or light heartedness of the situation keep dodging.

----------

IG @h_n_z

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2627827 Previous topic | Next topic