Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2626744

Subject: "If you had your choice, which would you rather do at the professional le..." Previous topic | Next topic
hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Fri Oct-20-17 12:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: If you had your choice, which would you rather do at the professional le..."

Poll result (8 votes)
NFL coach (2 votes)Vote
NBA coach (1 votes)Vote
MLB manager (3 votes)Vote
Train a fighter (2 votes)Vote
I’d rather coach something else (0 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: If you had your choice, which would you rather do at the professiona...
Oct 20th 2017
I would rather be the top dog...
Oct 20th 2017
RE: If you had your choice, which would you rather do at the professiona...
Oct 20th 2017
i don't think i'd survive a season as an nfl coach or nba coach
Oct 20th 2017
I almost made this same post the other day
Oct 20th 2017
Train a fighter
Oct 20th 2017
I am a big film guy as well.
Oct 21st 2017
NBA exec.
Oct 20th 2017
Yeah. Coach is the last role I would want. Player/exec
Oct 21st 2017
I think I wanna scout folks.
Oct 21st 2017
I love football but... NBA coach is the easiest amongst these
Oct 21st 2017
Honestly I think that manager of a MLB team is easiest
Oct 21st 2017
a computer could manage an mlb team competently.
Oct 21st 2017
      Right
Oct 21st 2017
      its a little more to it than that, you go by the numbers but there are.....
Oct 30th 2017
that's what coordinators get paid to do...
Oct 30th 2017
baseball manager. just stand there, chew gum and hold the phone
Oct 21st 2017
NBA - fewer players to deal with, work in climate controlled arenas...
Oct 30th 2017
focused
Oct 30th 2017

COOLEHMAGAZINE
Member since May 22nd 2007
5563 posts
Fri Oct-20-17 12:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: If you had your choice, which would you rather do at the professiona..."
In response to Reply # 0

NFL coach.

The strategy of the game is what fascinates me about the sport to begin with. Would rather be a DC or OC than a Head Coach though.

I want to watch film and draw up plays till the combination made my eyes bleed

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos

http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/

hip bopper
7385 posts
Fri Oct-20-17 12:19 PM

2. "I would rather be the top dog..."
In response to Reply # 1

and not a coordinator.

hip bopper
7385 posts
Fri Oct-20-17 05:01 PM

3. "RE: If you had your choice, which would you rather do at the professiona..."
In response to Reply # 0

I am split between MLB manager and boxing trainer. I would have a tough time deciding between the two.

A long shot is chess coach. If I were at a GM level then I would probably do that. I did do chess exercises and strategy with my son’s jr. high school for a couple of years. It was definitely a great experience.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Fri Oct-20-17 06:21 PM

4. "i don't think i'd survive a season as an nfl coach or nba coach"
In response to Reply # 0

without having someone else do most of my work. i'm not about living on -4 hours of sleep.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Fri Oct-20-17 06:51 PM

5. "I almost made this same post the other day"
In response to Reply # 0

Something must be floating around the interwebs, I guess.

I would want to be a GM or a trainer. I don't have the basketball knowledge to coach a team. (I keep meaning to read a books on strategy but never find time to)

But team chemistry and thinking of players to put together is interesting to me.

A trainer would be cool because you get to work with the players and then rehab them back to health. It's part PT, part pop-psychologist. Part hard-science, part positive psychology and those aspects to the job fit my personality.

BlassFemur
Member since Mar 26th 2008
10309 posts
Fri Oct-20-17 07:49 PM

6. "Train a fighter"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd enjoy the strategic part. Getting him ready for his opponent and finding ways to break his opponent down. Going over tape and stuff like that would be fun. You'd be able to see the progress in his development and hopefully if he's not a bum win a title.

It would suck getting up early, but for something like that it'd be worth it if you are training a good fighter.

https://banafrit.com/
http://middlebrainmedia.com/

hip bopper
7385 posts
Sat Oct-21-17 12:34 PM

8. "I am a big film guy as well."
In response to Reply # 6

>I'd enjoy the strategic part. Getting him ready for his
>opponent and finding ways to break his opponent down. Going
>over tape and stuff like that would be fun. You'd be able to
>see the progress in his development and hopefully if he's not
>a bum win a title.
>
>It would suck getting up early, but for something like that
>it'd be worth it if you are training a good fighter.

Boxing is definitely a thinking man’s game and the trainer is very important to a boxer’s success. That trainer/boxer relationship can be a very close bond if done properly.

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Fri Oct-20-17 07:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "NBA exec."
In response to Reply # 0

I'd be GOAT.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Sat Oct-21-17 12:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Yeah. Coach is the last role I would want. Player/exec"
In response to Reply # 7

Hello even back office staff. Coaching has never remotely interested me at any level.

B.J.S.301
Member since Nov 30th 2005
7074 posts
Sat Oct-21-17 01:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "I think I wanna scout folks. "
In response to Reply # 0

That is all. Or be a position coach in football.

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28846 posts
Sat Oct-21-17 01:33 PM

11. "I love football but... NBA coach is the easiest amongst these"
In response to Reply # 0

An NFL coach has to manage egos and micromanage the game. Crafting game plans for each opponent gets tiring as you attempt to figure out their weaknesses. Fans over analyze everything and are to quick to call for your firing if your team doesn't win. The Browns have one of the youngest teams in the league for this second year running and some fans want the coach fired. This is why I refuse to coach an NFL team unless it's on Madden.

An NBA coach is the easiest job because all you need is a good front office. Get you a few solid draft picks and use an excuse like "a bunch of excellent free agents are coming and we want to sign two of them so we tanking". I'd tell everyone we're trying to win for the future and develop our young guys. All you have to do is tell your fan base that you'd rather be a consistent NBA finals contender than perennial sixth seed in the playoffs and that's enough.

If front office gets you or two or three superstars then you're set for a good six year run. If you win a title you never have to worry about unemployment again.

Training a fighter would suck because your job security comes down to a few seconds at a time depending on the sport. An MLB manager's job is too boring to consider.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

hip bopper
7385 posts
Sat Oct-21-17 01:55 PM

12. "Honestly I think that manager of a MLB team is easiest"
In response to Reply # 11

As long as you can manage the pitching staff and get your substitutions down you should be good to go.

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Sat Oct-21-17 02:00 PM

13. "a computer could manage an mlb team competently."
In response to Reply # 12

and not even a great computer. like one of those old radio shack jawns.

so much of it is just by-the-book situational. like memorizing a blackjack chart.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

hip bopper
7385 posts
Sat Oct-21-17 02:19 PM

14. "Right"
In response to Reply # 13

Baseball is a game that manages itself. You set your starting lineup and sit on the bench. You get up to go get your pitcher when you want to change him. NL is a bit more challenging though... more strategy involved.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Oct-30-17 10:04 AM

17. "its a little more to it than that, you go by the numbers but there are....."
In response to Reply # 13

also a lot of "gut" calls. That's what separates the men from the boys. You have to be able to look a player in his eye and know if he's got it or not. If he doesn't you have to be able to maneuver that without destroying his confidence.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Oct-30-17 10:02 AM

16. "that's what coordinators get paid to do..."
In response to Reply # 11

>An NFL coach has to manage egos and micromanage the game.
>Crafting game plans for each opponent gets tiring as you
>attempt to figure out their weaknesses. Fans over analyze
>everything and are to quick to call for your firing if your
>team doesn't win. The Browns have one of the youngest teams in
>the league for this second year running and some fans want the
>coach fired. This is why I refuse to coach an NFL team unless
>it's on Madden.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Sat Oct-21-17 03:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "baseball manager. just stand there, chew gum and hold the phone"
In response to Reply # 0

I know there's more to it, specifically managing egos and what not, but it seems like these guys never work for more than a couple years with a team on average anymore, they get paid crazy amounts of money to hang out in a bunch of cities chewing gum and pounding Busch Lights and, if everything goes right with their advance scouts and their computer algorithms, they just might make the playoffs.

There's also enough weirdo randomness in baseball that I'd have a lot of fun laying any blame on anything other than myself or my players. Grass height, ball seam height, wind conditions, divots in the playing field, bad hot dogs at the hotel....

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Oct-30-17 10:06 AM

18. "NBA - fewer players to deal with, work in climate controlled arenas..."
In response to Reply # 0

better groupies

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Mon Oct-30-17 12:59 PM

19. "focused"
In response to Reply # 18

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2626744 Previous topic | Next topic