Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2626604

Subject: "When you say that certain players can’t play D..." Previous topic | Next topic
hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 02:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"When you say that certain players can’t play D..."
Thu Oct-19-17 02:13 PM by hip bopper

what are you referring to?

In the NBA you’re not going to stop guys from scoring, so I think that people are dreaming when they think that players can’t be stopped from getting buckets.

I believe that as long as you can keep your man in front of you, and not have your man blowing by you every play then you’re doing okay. If you are forcing your man to shoot jump shots and the team doesn’t have to help you every time by collapsing the defense because you can’t stop ball then I can live with that.

I don’t know what people are thinking when that say that certain guys can’t defend.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
There’s a lot more to defense than on the ball defense
Oct 19th 2017
yup overall awareness.
Oct 19th 2017
Alt post title: Explain defense to me.
Oct 19th 2017
lol damn
Oct 19th 2017
Lol, what I should’ve said^^^^
Oct 19th 2017
that was him? i remember reading that on my phone but didn't pay
Oct 19th 2017
And you don’t ^^^^
Oct 19th 2017
      Smh, you can’t make this post and then say that
Oct 19th 2017
           The truth is what it is
Oct 19th 2017
                Lol, go on
Oct 19th 2017
                     Check post #17 playa
Oct 19th 2017
                          That’s what you’re going with?
Oct 19th 2017
                               RE: That’s what you’re going with?
Oct 20th 2017
                                    Cavs D is just fine, right?
Nov 05th 2017
                                         c'mon dogg.
Nov 05th 2017
I don’t need defense explained to me...
Oct 19th 2017
give some examples of who you've heard people here...
Oct 19th 2017
      RE: give some examples of who you've heard people here...
Oct 19th 2017
damn.
Oct 19th 2017
LMAO
Oct 20th 2017
I use it an alternative way to say "He's white."
Oct 19th 2017
Dellevadova just hustled his way into this post
Oct 19th 2017
This your James Harden for DPOY agenda post?
Oct 19th 2017
Hell nah...
Oct 19th 2017
      Harden is worse than everyone says he is.
Oct 19th 2017
           Yes he is lazy at times...
Oct 19th 2017

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18635 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 03:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "There’s a lot more to defense than on the ball defense"
In response to Reply # 0

The help and rotations need to be on point. Handling screens, switching or hedging, etc.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 03:51 PM

4. "yup overall awareness."
In response to Reply # 1

i remember when amare came to the knicks...dude was averagish 1 on 1, but when it came to rotations or just general awareness...he was so lost.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 03:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Alt post title: Explain defense to me. "
In response to Reply # 0

Cenario
59181 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 03:50 PM

3. "lol damn"
In response to Reply # 2

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

DJR
18635 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 03:53 PM

5. "Lol, what I should’ve said^^^^ "
In response to Reply # 2

because he told me I know nothing about hoops the other night when I was clowning his 2nd quarter of game 1 Boston hot takes.

Cenario
59181 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 03:58 PM

6. "that was him? i remember reading that on my phone but didn't pay"
In response to Reply # 5

attention to who the poster was smh

hip bopper
7385 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 04:41 PM

8. "And you don’t ^^^^"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu Oct-19-17 04:43 PM by hip bopper

Like that changed overnight.

DJR
18635 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 05:00 PM

10. "Smh, you can’t make this post and then say that"
In response to Reply # 8

A little self-awareness can go a long way.

hip bopper
7385 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 06:23 PM

15. "The truth is what it is"
In response to Reply # 10

This post was made for people like you.

DJR
18635 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 07:03 PM

18. "Lol, go on"
In response to Reply # 15

Give specifics.

hip bopper
7385 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 07:31 PM

20. "Check post #17 playa"
In response to Reply # 18

DJR
18635 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 07:51 PM

22. "That’s what you’re going with?"
In response to Reply # 20

From what you saw, Rose and Wade weren’t that bad in game 1 And if you don’t think IT is bad on that end.....cmon.

The point you seem to be trying to make is that everyone in the NBA plays good D? Because they all slide their feet and don’t get flat out blown by one on one a lot? Seriously?

Watch them off the ball too. Watch what happens with screens. Watch how teams target IT every time down the floor, once he’s back. I watched Rose all year last year, unfortunately. Wade is so-so but he’s 35 with a lot of miles and injuries. He’d probably be fine on a good defensive team.

hip bopper
7385 posts
Fri Oct-20-17 11:44 AM

24. "RE: That’s what you’re going with?"
In response to Reply # 22

>From what you saw, Rose and Wade weren’t that bad in game 1
> And if you don’t think IT is bad on that end.....cmon.
>
Rose and Wade were okay and Smith was cool as well.

IT is not the greatest, but not as bad as people make him out to be. As I stated that bigger guys don’t even try to post him up. He’s too strong down low and bigger guys may try to but it doesn’t work. His only problem is that he’s a small dude and very easy to shoot on over the top.

>The point you seem to be trying to make is that everyone in
>the NBA plays good D? Because they all slide their feet and
>don’t get flat out blown by one on one a lot? Seriously?
>
No the point that I’m making is that the elite scorers can’t be stopped no matter what you do. If you played hoops first thing they tell you is to get in a defensive stance, move your feet, and don’t reach. If you force your man to take jump shots all game then you’re doing you job. Don’t get beat and DON’T LET YOUR MAN BEAT YOU BASELINE.

Prime example... when Bron was here the first time with the Cavs and they had Mo Williams. That dude was horrible. Didn’t move his feet... didn’t get in a stance and couldn’t stop Alston or Nelson. He was horrible in the pick n’ roll. Just all around awful. They had to bring Bron out to guard them.

>Watch them off the ball too. Watch what happens with screens.
> Watch how teams target IT every time down the floor, once
>he’s back. I watched Rose all year last year,
>unfortunately. Wade is so-so but he’s 35 with a lot of
>miles and injuries. He’d probably be fine on a good
>defensive team.

Rose is actually pretty good fighting through screens. Now IT they will target more as far as screens go. Wade will still be okay providing Lue plays Smith equal minutes. Actually the most concerning thing about the Cavs is how Lue will use what he has. He hasn’t shown that ability to get maximum use out of the players that he has. Last year in the Finals with all of the 3 pt. weapons that the Cavs had, the series should’ve gone more than 5 games. You couldn’t give me Frye, Korver, and Smith on the same team... squads would pay dearly.

DJR
18635 posts
Sun Nov-05-17 04:57 PM

25. "Cavs D is just fine, right?"
In response to Reply # 24

Guards are good?

All you got to do is move your feet and keep your man in front, guys are gonna make shots anyway, right? Just move your feet and pray they miss?

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Sun Nov-05-17 05:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
26. "c'mon dogg."
In response to Reply # 25

you're not going to stop elite scorers like luke babbitt.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

hip bopper
7385 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 04:40 PM

7. "I don’t need defense explained to me..."
In response to Reply # 2

It’s just that when folks run off as the mouth about this player or that player can’t play defense, then I look at the players on the court who people complain about I’m like wtf are they looking at. If you can keep your man in front of you, you move your feet well without a ton of reaching, fight through screens, and play the passing lanes well then I think that is an adequate job on the defensive end of the floor. Like I said this is the NBA and you’re not going to stop gifted offensive players AT ALL. They are going to get buckets. You can force them into uncomfortable shots or bad spots on the floor and they can still make shots. If you can’t keep your man in front of you and you keep getting beat off the dribble and then your team has to rotate to help leaving key shooters open, or setting up alley oops then yeah that is poor defense in my book.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 05:30 PM

12. "give some examples of who you've heard people here..."
In response to Reply # 7

say were bad defenders...and then actually saw them play defense and couldn't understand why it was said.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

hip bopper
7385 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 06:48 PM

17. "RE: give some examples of who you've heard people here..."
In response to Reply # 12

>say were bad defenders...and then actually saw them play
>defense and couldn't understand why it was said.

In the opening night post, a comment was made on the Cavs backcourt not playing good defense. From what I saw Rose and Wade were not that bad. Rose was able to keep Kyrie in front of him most of the night and he guarded him 1 on 1 without help. Kyrie was forced to take jump shots, but I will live with and Kyrie making shots from the outside as long as they don’t have to come and help him. Wade played D the same way... had a key block near the end of the game. JR came in and played solid off the bench.

Much is made about IT and his defense (having seen anything on the boards) in general, but when you watch him play you don’t see bigger guards post him up all that often because he is a strong dude and he contests shots down there against bigger guys. It is just easy to shoot over the top of him because he’s 5’9”.

As I keep saying you are not going to stop elite scores in the NBA. They are going to get theirs regardless of what’s being played against them.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 05:25 PM

11. "damn."
In response to Reply # 2

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Fri Oct-20-17 12:22 AM

23. "LMAO "
In response to Reply # 2

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 04:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "I use it an alternative way to say "He's white.""
In response to Reply # 0

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 05:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Dellevadova just hustled his way into this post"
In response to Reply # 9

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 05:48 PM

14. "This your James Harden for DPOY agenda post?"
In response to Reply # 0

hip bopper
7385 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 06:33 PM

16. "Hell nah..."
In response to Reply # 14

and he isn’t as bad as people make him out to be. Besides no one can stop him. His Achilles heel has been big turnover games when he’s needed in the clutch.

Like I said you are not stopping the elite scorers of the NBA no matter what they face. Double teams don’t work... zones don’t work... packing the paint doesn’t work.

It’s like when Bron and KD face each other. Neither one is stopping the other period. Or Curry against Kyrie or IT. These players are going to get theirs. Besides the league has made it so easy for scorers and it’s almost impossible to play defense.

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 07:10 PM

19. "Harden is worse than everyone says he is. "
In response to Reply # 16
Thu Oct-19-17 07:12 PM by Innocent Criminal

Not because he can’t, but because he’s lazy on the defensive end.

EDIT: maybe he isn’t lazy. Maybe he just can’t. https://youtu.be/5VYdhYUS56c

hip bopper
7385 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 07:36 PM

21. "Yes he is lazy at times..."
In response to Reply # 19

but he can play. In reality only a handful of players are excellent on ball defenders. Even those guys are shutting down elite scores. They make it tough, but they aren’t stopping them.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2626604 Previous topic | Next topic