Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2625590

Subject: "Grizzlies to retire Tony Allen's number" Previous topic | Next topic
hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Thu Oct-12-17 01:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Grizzlies to retire Tony Allen's number"

toldja. 2/4.

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/statements-on-tony-allen-171011

Grizzlies release statements on Tony Allen from Controlling Owner Robert J. Pera & General Manager Chris Wallace
Posted: Oct 12, 2017
FACEBOOK
GOOGLE PLUS
TWITTER
The Memphis Grizzlies released the following statements from Grizzlies Controlling Owner Robert J. Pera and Grizzlies General Manager Chris Wallace regarding Tony Allen, prior to Allen’s return to FedExForum, when the Grizzlies host the New Orleans Pelicans, Friday, October 13 at 7 p.m.:

Robert J. Pera: Controlling Owner, Memphis Grizzlies
“Tony was a driving force behind the Grizzlies’ seven straight playoff appearances and he remains a beloved member of the Memphis community. Tony played with a level of passion that is unrivaled. He helped establish a Grizzlies culture focused on toughness and effort, and he challenged every player that put on Beale Street Blue to match his fiery intensity. On behalf of the entire organization, I would like to thank him for his incredible contributions to the Grizzlies and the unique way that he inspired the city of Memphis. We are proud that the Grindfather’s #9 jersey will hang in the rafters of FedExForum alongside Zach’s one day.”

Chris Wallace: General Manager, Memphis Grizzlies
“Tony will forever be one of the Core Four responsible for the turnaround in the Memphis Grizzlies’ fortunes and our surge in popularity. There would never have been seven straight years of playoff appearances, the incredible electricity in FedExForum for home games, ‘Grit and Grind’ and ‘Believe Memphis’ without Tony Allen’s contributions to the team. In the process Tony became more than just one of the toughest defenders in the league – he became a true cult hero who was intertwined with the soul of Memphis like few athletes ever have in any city. Tony and his family will be missed but his impact on the Grizzlies and Memphis will never be forgotten.”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't really mind this
Oct 12th 2017
Honest question.
Oct 12th 2017
He's a better basketball player than Dan Marino
Oct 12th 2017
RE: He's a better basketball player than Dan Marino
Oct 12th 2017
Pretty sure Riley wanted Jordan's number retired league wide
Oct 13th 2017
Well, on sheer numbers...TA is worse
Oct 12th 2017
it's my favorite random sports fact
Oct 12th 2017
We root for the Lakers....
Oct 12th 2017
Numbers arent retired off stats
Oct 12th 2017
Hmmmm, interesting question.
Oct 12th 2017
LOL @ "Conley , maybe"
Oct 12th 2017
iont know about all that
Oct 13th 2017
      lmao stop.
Oct 24th 2017
           the defense is why is jersey is up there
Oct 24th 2017
As a Lakers fan born in 84, I was surprised (not mad) at Silk being
Oct 24th 2017
You called it. I still think it's kind of weird. Good for him though.
Oct 12th 2017
ESPN video
Oct 13th 2017
I mean they're the grizzlies
Oct 24th 2017
RE: Grizzlies to retire Tony Allen's number
Dec 27th 2019
Are they hanging fizdales "50" too?
Dec 27th 2019
Its a 20 year-old expansion franchise if their fans are good with it why...
Dec 27th 2019

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Thu Oct-12-17 05:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I don't really mind this"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't think the Grizz have any numbers retired and those teams did make a WCF and were among the better teams in the league for 4 or 5 years.

Maybe it's my Lakers' elitism here but it's difficult to think of someone who never made an all-star team as being worthy of a number retirement. It would make more sense to me to raise a banner including the numbers of Allen, Z-Bo, Gasol and Conley to simply celebrate the team as a whole. But given that they're retiring Tony Allen's number that those other players will have their numbers retired as well.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Thu Oct-12-17 06:06 PM

2. "Honest question."
In response to Reply # 0

Is he the worst player to have his number retired anywhere?

I know this is a dick thing to ask and he meant a lot to the franchise. It's just my opinion these things are reserved for the upper echelon players of the teams...IMO this team probably has 3-4 retireable numbers, and he's not one of them (Gasols, ZBo, Conley maybe).

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Oct-12-17 06:39 PM

3. "He's a better basketball player than Dan Marino"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Oct-12-17 06:39 PM by Marauder21

Here's a list of everyone who has had their number retired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_retired_jersey_numbers

The only retired number at Target Center right now is a career 10/3/2 guy, but he also died as an active member of the team.

Any old heads know about Dave Twardzik? I honestly don't.

Jesus, the Heat retired Jordan's number, too? LMAO that's so corny.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18627 posts
Thu Oct-12-17 07:21 PM

4. "RE: He's a better basketball player than Dan Marino"
In response to Reply # 3

>Here's a list of everyone who has had their number retired.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_retired_jersey_numbers
>
>The only retired number at Target Center right now is a career
>10/3/2 guy, but he also died as an active member of the team.
>
>Any old heads know about Dave Twardzik? I honestly don't.
>
>Jesus, the Heat retired Jordan's number, too? LMAO that's so
>corny.

Lol, what??? Jordan’s Bulls knocked the Heat out of the playoffs in 92, 96, and 97. And you retire his jersey? Ridiculous.

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Fri Oct-13-17 11:10 AM

14. "Pretty sure Riley wanted Jordan's number retired league wide"
In response to Reply # 4

and that is why the heat retired it.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Thu Oct-12-17 07:21 PM

5. "Well, on sheer numbers...TA is worse"
In response to Reply # 3

But that's not the whole story.

And yeah, I'm dead at that Jordan thing.

17x NBA Champions

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Thu Oct-12-17 08:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "it's my favorite random sports fact"
In response to Reply # 3

>
>Jesus, the Heat retired Jordan's number, too? LMAO that's so
>corny.

it's absolutely pathetic

DJ Wade-O
Member since Jan 23rd 2007
2366 posts
Thu Oct-12-17 08:33 PM

6. "We root for the Lakers...."
In response to Reply # 2

We can't fathom someone of his stature getting their number retired on our team. For other teams, this isn't that ridiculous.

Download my new mixtape featuring Lecrae, Andy Mineo, Christon Gray and more. Positive Hip Hop: http://www.noisetrade.com/wadeoradio

hardware
42304 posts
Thu Oct-12-17 08:46 PM

8. "Numbers arent retired off stats"
In response to Reply # 2

They're retired off of the value to the franchise

Sometimes that value coincides with ppg, most of the time, it doesnt.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Thu Oct-12-17 10:11 PM

10. "Hmmmm, interesting question."
In response to Reply # 2

The Celtics are very liberal about retiring numbers. Cedric Maxwell springs to mind but he was a better player than Allen. KC Jones was somewhat similar to Allen in terms of role but a much better and more accomplished player. As I said in the other thread, why are they going so ham on this era? How playoff series did they win? A few but not that many, no finals appearances, etc. Weird that a guy with this role would get his number retired without rings (though I know he got one in Boston).

I think the guy I'd nominate would be Brad Davis. Why did the Mavs retire his number? Any special significance? Looking at stats, I am baffled. The Cavs retired Nate Thurmond's number for sure and I think Walt Frazier's number. This would be akin to the Chargers retiring Johnny Unitas's number or the Niners doing it with OJ or Rams with Joe Namath. I guess the Thurmond makes more sense because he is an Akronite, but overall these showed how desperate they were to hang a banner of some sort in Cleveland.

Vinnie Johnson's number was retired by Detroit (arguably better than Allen but similar, a super-sub with a specific role). He had two rings though. Here is a moe similar case to Allen's. The Sonics retired Nate McMillan's number. I loved McMillan and knew he'd be a coach, but frankly he doesn't deserve it. The Sixers can go ahead and retire Eric Snow's number if so. I would say McMillan is very similar to Allen, a defense/leadership guy with kind of shitty numbers.

There are some suspect "ring of honor" choices in the NHL/NFL but that is not the same as a retired number.

Here is an odd one for you guys, the #2 was retired by the Hartford Whalers for Rick Ley and then un-retired when they moved to Raleigh and re-retired for Glen Wesley. Both guys were good defensemen and served in leadership roles but I doubt many franchises would have retired either of their numbers. So they retired the same number twice for somewhat suspect choices.

In hockey Yvon Labre seems to me to be the most Tony Allen-like. He was a gritty player and a heart-and-soul guy. He was not a star.

Why did the Angels retire Jimmy Reese's number? I should know this but I don't.

There are probably more candidates but Allen is definitely in their midst. Anyway, I always liked him a lot and he symbolized what the Grizzlies identity became. So I am cool with it, though I acknowledge it's suspect.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

guru0509
Charter member
45342 posts
Thu Oct-12-17 11:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "LOL @ "Conley , maybe""
In response to Reply # 2

he deserves to have his number retired more than any of those other guys

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

hardware
42304 posts
Fri Oct-13-17 12:23 AM

12. "iont know about all that"
In response to Reply # 11

it doesn't really work without all 4

guru0509
Charter member
45342 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 04:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "lmao stop."
In response to Reply # 12

>it doesn't really work without all 4

tony allen was a liability more than anything...

fun loveable defensive guy sure...but his shooting woes are why the grizzlies could never get over the hump. they were playing 4 on 5 half the time

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

hardware
42304 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 09:45 AM

16. "the defense is why is jersey is up there"
In response to Reply # 15
Tue Oct-24-17 09:50 AM by hardware

idk how else to explain it to you.
that and just being super down to represent the franchise. I mean thats basically our basketball mt rushmore now as far as the fanbase is concerned.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 05:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "As a Lakers fan born in 84, I was surprised (not mad) at Silk being "
In response to Reply # 2

retired. I didn't realize he had THAT MUCH impact, in comparison to all the legends who've played for us.

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Thu Oct-12-17 09:52 PM

9. "You called it. I still think it's kind of weird. Good for him though."
In response to Reply # 0

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

hardware
42304 posts
Fri Oct-13-17 11:05 AM

13. "ESPN video"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Oct-13-17 11:06 AM by hardware

ugh. i'm gonna miss them days, man

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21001072/memphis-grizzlies-plan-retire-number-former-player-tony-allen

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 05:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "I mean they're the grizzlies"
In response to Reply # 0

it's not like his jersey is going up there next to bird and mchale
www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

hardware
42304 posts
Fri Dec-27-19 10:23 AM

19. "RE: Grizzlies to retire Tony Allen's number"
In response to Reply # 0

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59175 posts
Fri Dec-27-19 01:21 PM

20. "Are they hanging fizdales "50" too?"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Dec-27-19 02:13 PM

21. "Its a 20 year-old expansion franchise if their fans are good with it why..."
In response to Reply # 0

does anybody else care?

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2625590 Previous topic | Next topic