Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2623328

Subject: "Andre Ward announces retirement" Previous topic | Next topic
Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 10:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Andre Ward announces retirement"

http://andresogward.com/missionaccomplished/

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

https://twitter.com/andreward/status/910866905522593792

To the sport of boxing – I love you. You’ve been by my side since I was 10-years-old. You’ve taught me so much. You’ve humbled me. You’ve promoted me. I’ve sacrificed a lot for you, but you’ve given me more than I ever thought possible. You gave me a platform, made me a champion and helped me provide for my family. I am forever grateful to you. You and I will always be synonymous, connected at the hip. Thank you for all the wonderful people I’ve come in contact with because of you. I’ve made friends for life. As I walk away from the sport of boxing today, I leave at the top of your glorious mountain, which was always my vision and my dream. I did it. We did it.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you to everyone who has played a part in my journey. You know who you are. I could not have done this without you. I want to be clear – I am leaving because my body can no longer put up with the rigors of the sport and therefore my desire to fight is no longer there. If I cannot give my family, my team, and the fans everything that I have, then I should no longer be fighting. Above all, I give God the Glory, for allowing me to do what I’ve done, for as long as I have.

Andre “S.O.G” Ward

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
can't argue with that
Sep 21st 2017
WHOA....
Sep 21st 2017
Best resume of any boxer post 2000, hopefully his greatness is recognize...
Sep 21st 2017
GOAT
Sep 21st 2017
That was abrupt.
Sep 21st 2017
He was talking about retirement after the first Kovalev fight
Sep 22nd 2017
thx for some great ones sog.
Sep 22nd 2017
One of the most accomplished champions of the era.
Sep 22nd 2017
He was #1 P4P up until his announcement, right?
Sep 22nd 2017
      I think so... but only since beating Kovalev twice...
Sep 22nd 2017
True shame politics wasted
Sep 23rd 2017
Salute to a true warrior
Sep 23rd 2017

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 11:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "can't argue with that"
In response to Reply # 0

I consistently underestimated him and he continually proved me wrong. It's only right that he should get out before he fades. Respect.

bnicedh
Charter member
4667 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 11:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "WHOA...."
In response to Reply # 0

Didnt see this coming...but Congrats to him on a WONDERFUL career!

Ill Jux
Member since Jan 19th 2007
14705 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 11:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Best resume of any boxer post 2000, hopefully his greatness is recognize..."
In response to Reply # 0

i've had him p4p #1 since 2011

______

in the memory of NYC upt JUX�

S_Ali
Charter member
1479 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 11:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "GOAT"
In response to Reply # 0

of his time. My friends that boxed always sung his praises based on his dominance during the amateurs. I was not crazy about his style per say but could always appreciate his dedication to his craft. I guess he reminded me too much of Hopkins. In terms of his accomplishments, he is one of the greatest fighters of his era.

Now, Hagler is about the only fighter that truly retired. Maybe he just wants a break and will possibly come back later as a Heavyweight. I've heard him mention it before in the past. But if this is not the case, one of the best to ever do it.

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 04:53 PM

5. "That was abrupt."
In response to Reply # 0

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Fri Sep-22-17 09:23 AM

8. "He was talking about retirement after the first Kovalev fight"
In response to Reply # 5

people took it as cowardice. Seems he was for real though.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Fri Sep-22-17 03:42 AM

6. "thx for some great ones sog."
In response to Reply # 0

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Fri Sep-22-17 08:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "One of the most accomplished champions of the era."
In response to Reply # 0

-->

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Fri Sep-22-17 04:08 PM

9. "He was #1 P4P up until his announcement, right?"
In response to Reply # 7

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Sep-22-17 05:45 PM

10. "I think so... but only since beating Kovalev twice..."
In response to Reply # 9

and personally only after the 2nd fight.. but as I indicate above I've always underestimated him so my opinion on him has been unduly biased... that 2nd Kovalev fight changed my mind (even though I really should've learned after the super 6).

the retirement is somewhat abrupt because in my book he only just claimed p4p and that's something someone should hold for a while to really own it... but I can accept the arguments because I admit to sleeping on him.

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Sat Sep-23-17 09:44 AM

11. "True shame politics wasted"
In response to Reply # 0

2 to 3 years of his career.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5814 posts
Sat Sep-23-17 05:13 PM

12. "Salute to a true warrior"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not sure what more he could've done to seal his legacy except to have fought GGG (which he would've won). He'll be fine post-boxing

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/2023071.rss

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2623328 Previous topic | Next topic