Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2623084

Subject: "Mount Rushmore of WWE. But why no ROCK or Heart" Previous topic | Next topic
BlackSun
Charter member
183 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 04:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Mount Rushmore of WWE. But why no ROCK or Heart"

Mount Rushmore of WWE Superstars: Who Are the Top 4 Legends of All Time?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2725530-mount-rushmore-of-wwe-superstars-who-are-the-top-4-legends-of-all-time?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

RYAN DILBERT
SEPTEMBER 14, 2017

Bruno Sammartino, Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin and John Cena are immortals among men in the WWE Universe.

Should the company ever decide to represent its biggest icons in stone as Gutzon Borglum did with American presidents beginning in 1927, those four men most belong on the WWE Mount Rushmore. No one made as lasting a mark on the history of the sports entertainment giant than them.

Sammartino's longevity as a headliner is unmatched. Hogan spearheaded a surge in WWE's popularity. Austin led the way for the company's best days.

Financial success, popularity and historical significance placed each of those champions on a pedestal that only fits four. With apologies to Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, The Undertaker, The Rock and Bob Backlund, here's why these four wrestlers make up WWE's Mount Rushmore.

Bruno Sammartino

On WWE's Mount Rushmore, Sammartino is the George Washington.

When the company was still a regional promotion in the New York area, when it was still known as the World Wide Wrestling Federation, The Italian Strongman stood at its center. The barrel-chested titan served as more than a marquee star in those early days. Sammartino was the blue-collar hero to the people, the embodiment of the American dream, WWE's first superhero.

As a child, he hid from Nazi soldiers in the mountains of Italy. As a man, he became a symbol of strength and perseverance in the wrestling ring, fighting off one black-hearted monster at a time.

Less than a month after the creation of what was known then as the WWWF World Heavyweight Championship, Sammartino put a stranglehold on the title.

He steamrolled Buddy Rogers in May 1963 to win the strap. Ivan Koloff didn't dethrone him until January 1971. Sammartino boasted unfathomable reigns as world champ that lasted nearly eight years and three-and-a-half years, respectively. His title runs lasted longer than some wrestlers' entire careers.

Madison Square Garden served as the then-WWWF's home base in those years, and time and again, Sammartino helped sell out the place.

As Steven Johnson and Greg Oliver recalled in The Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame: Heroes & Icons, "When Sammartino's name was on the marquee at the old Madison Square Garden off 8th Avenue in New York City, thousands of people nervously milled around the lobby, anxious about the challenge their hero was about to face."

Whether the top heel of the day was Freddie Blassie, Gorilla Monsoon, Toru Tanaka or George Steele, it was Sammartino who stood across from them in the main event, the no-nonsense gunslinger waiting to grind them into the mat.

Hulk Hogan

When the World Wrestling Federation marched into the national spotlight, Hogan carried the flag, with his tanned, bulging biceps glistening in the spotlight.

Star power was key to Vince Kennedy McMahon's plan to take his father's business to new heights. He raided the nation's territories for names like Junkyard Dog and Roddy Piper. It was Hogan, though, who proved to be the centerpiece.

He urged his fans to say their prayers and eat their vitamins. He shook off his merciless foes' attacks as adrenaline filled his frame.

Hogan was a broad-shouldered patriot who fought for justice between the ropes, a quintessential good guy in a black-and-white violent stage play.

When McMahon birthed WrestleMania, pushed his product onto the MTV airwaves and created cartoons and action figures to celebrate his larger-than-life world, The Hulkster was front and center. When pro wrestling began to attract a younger audience and slide its way into the forefront of pop culture, Hogan was largely to thank for that.

As David Shoemaker put it in The Squared Circle: "Suddenly the WWF, with Hogan as its figurehead, was everywhere, and pro wrestling as a whole was once again emerging as a cultural force."

Hogan stood atop what is now the WWE for the bulk of the '80s. He was world champ in the early '90s. The Hulkster even came back and served as champion in 2002.

He was an ever-present force in a key period. Hogan headlined six of the first seven WrestleManias, three of the first four Survivor Series events and three of the first four SummerSlams.

Throughout the various waves of Hulkamania, Hogan was a part of some of the company's most iconic moments.

His defeat of Iron Sheik in 1984. Him bodyslamming Andre the Giant at WrestleMania III. The Mega Powers imploding. The icon staring down The Rock at WrestleMania X-8.

Even some 38 years after his debut, the transcendent Hogan remains one of the most recognizable names in WWE history.

Steve Austin

One downed beer, one raised middle finger, one stomped mudhole at a time, Stone Cold made an indelible mark on WWE history.

The product shifted toward an edgier, more irreverent direction in the late '90s. The time for cartoon gimmicks and pure-of-heart babyfaces was over. And Austin not only epitomized the spirit of the Attitude Era, he was its torchbearer.

After his famous Austin 3:16 speech, arenas begin to fill up with fans wearing T-shirts displaying that catchphrase.

Just about everything Austin fired from his mouth caught on. His penchant for saying "What?" after everything his adversaries said morphed into a crowd chant that still lingers today. Whether he was threatening to open a can of whoop-ass or raise hell, he gave WWE's merchandise team plenty to work with.

As Chris Flynn of The Richest pointed out: "When Austin was at his peak, WWF is said to have sold 12 million Stone Cold T-shirts and unbelievably Austin merchandise accounted for half of all merchandise sold by the company."

His antics, be it hitting someone with a Stunner or spraying beer on his corporate stooge enemies, were often the heart and soul of WWE TV.

Austin was key to WWE winning the Monday Night War with rival World Championship Wrestling. And during wrestling's peak in popularity, when it was most cool to be a fan, Austin was the king. His popularity was instrumental in allowing WWE to rake in more money than ever before.

Preeminent wrestling journalist Dave Meltzer noted, "The business would have never reached the levels it did without Austin."

The Texas Rattlesnake had perhaps the most iconic finishing move in the Stunner and was one-half of arguably the greatest rivalry in wrestling history—Austin vs. McMahon. He elevated the careers of The Rock, Mick Foley and Triple H.

The badass, beer-drinking antihero extraordinaire has often imitated, but there will never be another Stone Cold. Because of that, there may never again be a period as white-hot as Austin's prime.

John Cena

Little did we know, the sculpted prospect who stepped up to Kurt Angle in 2002 would go on to be a megastar who sat in the WWE throne for over a decade.

Preaching the virtues of hustle, loyalty and respect, Cena became a straight-laced superhero of the squared circle. He overpowered giants. He outlasted opportunists. He climbed out of hole after hole en route to becoming WWE's cornerstone.

The reaction to him has always been visceral, be it positive or negative, but he's undoubtedly one of the most talked-about performers in WWE history.

Cena has captained the PG Era, helping the company continue to expand its reach as a global enterprise.

In the ring, he boasts a commanding presence and is one of the top big-match performers in WWE history. Outside of it, he has thrived as a spokesman. Even as new stars arrive, Cena has remained the face of WWE, representing the company on morning TV shows, red carpet events, radio row, everywhere.

He has fulfilled more wishes at Make-A-Wish Foundation than any celebrity ever, a testament to his stardom.

The man McMahon called "the Babe Ruth of WWE" won the United States Championship in 2004. He went on to be a headliner for the rest of the decade and beyond. He has been world champ 16 times, more than anyone not named Ric Flair.

His collection of classic bouts at WrestleMania and elsewhere continues to grow. Randy Orton, CM Punk, Edge and AJ Styles are among those whose careers were made bigger because of facing him.

The Face That Runs the Place has begun to transition into more of a part-time role as his acting and TV career picks up. But even as he slides one foot out of the door and the New Era's top stars charge ahead, Cena remains the man.

It will take quite the Herculean feat from the likes of Roman Reigns or Seth Rollins in the coming years to knock Cena off the Mount Rushmore of WWE.

Primal Music For Life!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
on the business side it has to be those 4
Sep 18th 2017
I would think the Rock, yes, Hart, not really
Sep 18th 2017
RE: bruno's "reign"...
Sep 18th 2017
biggest draw for 8 years in a row is a big deal
Sep 18th 2017
Pro wrestling is about, McEgos aside, drawing money.
Sep 18th 2017
You can only have Rock or Austin really
Sep 18th 2017
i agree with this...
Sep 18th 2017
You could do both if you wanted to be picky
Sep 18th 2017
Cena is undoubtedly on the list
Sep 18th 2017
That's valid. I disagree with that first sentence, but it's a valid pers...
Sep 18th 2017
if your criteria is top guy of different eras they make sense
Sep 18th 2017
Bret Hart was the guy around at the right time for WWF
Sep 18th 2017
      I agree. His lack of charisma would've held him back
Sep 18th 2017
      Bret Hart may be the most overrated top guy ever
Sep 18th 2017
it's hard to argue against anyone up there...
Sep 18th 2017
weasel!!!
Sep 18th 2017
*sigh* ... Macho Man / Roddy Piper > Hogan + Austin + Cena
Sep 18th 2017
This is the mount Rushmore, not who you liked the most
Sep 18th 2017
lmao
Sep 18th 2017
Macho is my favorite all time but nah
Sep 18th 2017
I know... but you gotta rep who you rep.
Sep 18th 2017
objective facts>>> personal preferences
Sep 18th 2017
no Flair? FOH!
Sep 18th 2017
WWE, though. Ric one of the best to do it, but not in WWE
Sep 18th 2017
Oh ok
Sep 18th 2017
as Goat candidates go he's unquestionably top 5
Sep 18th 2017
Do you understand the list? Because... nah. Flair doesn't belong
Sep 18th 2017
As long as we're sticking to repping four eras, no way to deny this
Sep 18th 2017
yup. basically a "russell/kareem/jordan/lebron" type deal.
Sep 19th 2017
What exactly would be the case for Bret on this list?
Sep 19th 2017
Yeah Bret is the GOAT in ring talent IMO, but he's not on Rushmore
Sep 19th 2017
he's not even lacing Shawn or Eddie's boots in-ring
Sep 19th 2017
      Y'all type some crazy stuff sometimes.
Sep 19th 2017
      Shawn or Eddie couldn't tell a story like Bret could
Sep 19th 2017
depends on what the list is based on
Sep 19th 2017
I don't really see him hitting top tier on many lists
Sep 19th 2017
      never before have I agreed with you 100% haha
Sep 19th 2017
           Hmm, i guess I just disagree
Sep 19th 2017
there isnt one.
Sep 19th 2017
while we're here, my personal Rushmore: Flair, HBK, Macho, Rock
Sep 19th 2017
No Flair....?
Sep 19th 2017
WWE Mt Rushmore
Sep 19th 2017
If it's a personal Rushmore, then Andre, Flair, Dusty, Rock
Sep 19th 2017

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85066 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 04:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "on the business side it has to be those 4"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 04:18 PM

2. "I would think the Rock, yes, Hart, not really"
In response to Reply # 0

I would have figured Hogan/Rock/Cena/Stone Cold but nice to see Sammartino recognized. I find it odd to hear about his "reign" as champion though, as if this were boxing or basketball or something. I find it odd that something with a predetermined result can be referred to in that way.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

roamr1
Charter member
18832 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 05:15 PM

10. "RE: bruno's "reign"..."
In response to Reply # 2

i think it's because it meant so much more back then. i mean the guy held it for 7 years...as a face the whole time! i can't even imagine someone holding on to a title for a few months nowadays w/o fans legit turning on him.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35251 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 06:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "biggest draw for 8 years in a row is a big deal"
In response to Reply # 2

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 09:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
24. "Pro wrestling is about, McEgos aside, drawing money. "
In response to Reply # 2

>I would have figured Hogan/Rock/Cena/Stone Cold but nice to
>see Sammartino recognized. I find it odd to hear about his
>"reign" as champion though, as if this were boxing or
>basketball or something. I find it odd that something with a
>predetermined result can be referred to in that way.

"reign" is perfectly valid language within the context of what ultimately matters most in pro wrestling: putting asses in seats and eyes on tv screens.

Predetermination is only part of the formula. The psychology of pro wrestling is about making people love or loathe you enough to want to pay to see you win or lose. The "sport" of pro wrestling is played between the overall product and the fans. Further, there's an entire psychology at play behind the scenes that goes a long way in determining whether or not a guy like Stone Cold ever gets a shot to carry that ball to begin with.

To summarize pro wrestling as "predetermined" is a dismissal that, quite frankly, misses every last point of what makes it work and why. You may as well dismiss actors who are box office draws since, after all, those films are all scripted anyways.

Y2Flound
Member since Aug 16th 2005
9819 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 04:51 PM

3. "You can only have Rock or Austin really"
In response to Reply # 0

It needs to be 1 person from the 4 major eras

Pre Global/WM era. Bruno is the easy choice there, he out dates most of us, but it has to be him.

The early Manias/going global era- No other choice but Hogan

The attitude Era- Here is your Rock/Austin debate. Rock became a bigger star, but nobody was bigger in the WWE during that era than Austin. It's a hard pick but it's the right one.

Post Attitude PG era- Cena and nobody else is in the convo.

Now if you're going beyond WWE than, yea there are debates to have, but WWE Mt. Rushmore it's sort of an easy pick of these 4.

roamr1
Charter member
18832 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 05:05 PM

6. "i agree with this..."
In response to Reply # 3

you can't have austin and rocky if you're trying to represent all of the eras and you have to give it to austin because of longevity and the business he brought.

BrooklynWHAT
85066 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 06:14 PM

15. "You could do both if you wanted to be picky"
In response to Reply # 3

The Rock as a #1 guy presided over the biggest year (2000) in company history while Stone cold was out. Nobody did it bigger than the rock. Nobody.

Whereas Cena presided over the downturn and lowest points of the business in 20 years

Plus if you doing a straight out Top 4 Cena Def ain't in it. But we already broke down the GOAT hierarchy and Cena can't crack that top level.

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 07:40 PM

21. "Cena is undoubtedly on the list"
In response to Reply # 15

He is going to break Flair's record for world title reigns

He has been the biggest star for over a decade, something nobody in the Attitude Era did

The business downturn was not his fault

People always say he'd have never flown in the attitude era but I think he may have been even bigger. His charisma and dedication to the business are unquestionable. Put him in an era where people didn't really care if you were a good wrestler, let him be a really heightened version of his Word life Heel and he would be a huge star.

Just because we are older now and wrestling isn't aimed at us and we have rose colored glasses for the wrestlers we loved when we were younger, you can not deny Cena just because he came around in a different world for wrestling.

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 09:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
25. "That's valid. I disagree with that first sentence, but it's a valid pers..."
In response to Reply # 3

>It needs to be 1 person from the 4 major eras

Nah. Just needs to be the four most iconic figures IMO. The 4 eras concept, IMO, simplifies things but isn't a necessity.

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 04:58 PM

4. "if your criteria is top guy of different eras they make sense"
In response to Reply # 0

Hulk and Stone Cold are givens and at this point Cena is too. The Rock is my personal fave from the Attitude Era but Stone Cold was just a little bigger. You could argue the era was so big they deserve 2 spots, but it's also tough to leave Bruno out. Leaving Hart out is easier. He was the top guy when business wasn't great. I love his work and don't think it's fair to lay all the blame on him, but I also can't say he'd be the top guy in another era.

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 05:03 PM

5. "Bret Hart was the guy around at the right time for WWF"
In response to Reply # 4

He carried the post Hogan years until Attitude Era and then was clearly outshined once those stars made it. Before everyone left for WCW he was a tag team/IC level wrestler.

If he was around later he would have been outshined by guys like Eddie. Probably had a non memorable world title run and not much more

pretentious username
12493 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 05:09 PM

7. "I agree. His lack of charisma would've held him back"
In response to Reply # 5

I think his heel run is underrated (even underrated by him) but still, compared to other top guys he doesn't have that "it" factor.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18386 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 08:02 PM

22. "Bret Hart may be the most overrated top guy ever "
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Sep-18-17 08:02 PM by Tiger Woods

roamr1
Charter member
18832 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 05:09 PM

8. "it's hard to argue against anyone up there..."
In response to Reply # 0

in replacement of bret. he's top 3 all time for me personally but he didn't draw like hogan, austin, cena. if you remove bruno in favor of bret, you're basically throwing out the fact that you want someone to represent the older era...then in that case, is bret more fitting than shawn?

roamr1
Charter member
18832 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 05:12 PM

9. "weasel!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

i was just replying in the other post and it made me think...you could for sure make an argument for the brain here. i know this is just wrestlers but how many characters (wrestlers or otherwise) have had a longer lasting influence.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 05:45 PM

11. "*sigh* ... Macho Man / Roddy Piper > Hogan + Austin + Cena"
In response to Reply # 0

but whatever...

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 06:11 PM

14. "This is the mount Rushmore, not who you liked the most"
In response to Reply # 11

The WWE was never built on Piper or Savage, they never carried the company for more than a minute.

I'd put Razor Ramon on mine but I'm not gonna argue he belongs there.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 07:21 PM

19. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 14

Razor?! lol..

lmfao...

you can like who you like though... I get the mt rushmore hence why I sighed and said whatever... I wasn't arguing I was just saying.

melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 06:21 PM

17. "Macho is my favorite all time but nah"

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 07:25 PM

20. "I know... but you gotta rep who you rep."
In response to Reply # 17

at least you know the GOAT... respect. OH YEAH!

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 09:55 PM

26. "objective facts>>> personal preferences"

There are a few ways to view a "Mt Rushmore" list, but there's only one way to do a definitive, winner take all, these are the bosses of all bosses list, and this one is inarguable with the lone caveat of whether or not you choose to view it by era or not, because Rock>Cena and it's not close, but Austin has a solid edge on Rock.

Trust, there's another Rushmore with HBK, Flair, Angle, and Eddie that has few other real contenders from a work rate/match quality standpoint.

Psychology?

Jake, HBK, Austin, Flair.

Promos? That's Rock, Piper, Jake and then everyone else.

Etc

melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 06:02 PM

12. "no Flair? FOH!"
In response to Reply # 0

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 06:07 PM

13. "WWE, though. Ric one of the best to do it, but not in WWE"
In response to Reply # 12

his prime was in other orgs.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 06:24 PM

18. "Oh ok"

if we skip orgs, Flair is GOAT imo

Tiger Woods
18386 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 08:07 PM

23. "as Goat candidates go he's unquestionably top 5"
In response to Reply # 18

My top 5 best ever, not biggest draws but best ever:

1. Austin
2. HBK
3. Flair
4. Rock
5. Taker

Austin - hottest run ever, great promo and matches

HBK - best in ring talent ever

Flair - personified larger than life, could have a classic with anyone and lived the gimmick

Rock - Flair on steroids (probably literally), finished the party that Austin started

Taker - a once in a lifetime character, a stellar in ring talent in the second half of his career, personification of a pro wrestler

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 09:59 PM

27. "Do you understand the list? Because... nah. Flair doesn't belong"

on this kind of list. These are the biggest draws on the biggest stage and Flair was never that.

It's not really up for debate based on what this list is clearly about.

Mt Rushmore isn't the GOAT discussion, and the GOAT discussion is far more nuanced and all-encompassing. And yeah, Ric owns that list.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 11:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
28. "As long as we're sticking to repping four eras, no way to deny this"
In response to Reply # 0

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 12:20 PM

39. "yup. basically a "russell/kareem/jordan/lebron" type deal."
In response to Reply # 28

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 01:10 AM

29. "What exactly would be the case for Bret on this list? "
In response to Reply # 0

He's not exactly a glaring omission and despite being one of the more respected workers of his generation I don't see how he would rank all that high on any list at this point. The post-attitude era had guys who were easily on par or beyond with Bret from a work standpoint, the greatest rival from his generation outclasses him in every possible category except perhaps being a sympathetic figure, and he neither presided over a successful era (honestly not his fault, what with Vince's "day job" mandate" nor overtly influenced the era that came after.

I love Bret the wrestler, but frankly his greatest achievement was giving Steve the rub. It's particularly bad if you stack him next to Shawn, who is, alongside/due to the steroid scandal, the single most important and influential wrestler of the last 30 years while Bret was a relative bystander.

Now we can rattle off a laundry list of Bret's misfortune, but some of that can easily be attributed to his own missteps. Some still like to blame Shawn for a lot of that but that boils down to Shawn once again outclassing Bret in the politic department. Nobody with his size or disposition should have wielded that much power and Bret couldn't hang on that end.

When you examine Bret with a critical eye it's quickly apparent that he's ultimately a class behind that top tier in pretty much every category.

Aside from being a personal favorite and a legit all timer, I don't see where he fits into that top tier of all timers.

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13191 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 07:41 AM

30. "Yeah Bret is the GOAT in ring talent IMO, but he's not on Rushmore"
In response to Reply # 29

Tiger Woods
18386 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 09:32 AM

33. "he's not even lacing Shawn or Eddie's boots in-ring "
In response to Reply # 30

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16159 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 10:02 AM

35. "Y'all type some crazy stuff sometimes."
In response to Reply # 33

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13191 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 12:52 PM

40. "Shawn or Eddie couldn't tell a story like Bret could"
In response to Reply # 33

Shawn or Eddie couldn't realistically* sell like Bret could.

Shawn or Eddie couldn't make a wrestling match look like a legitimate fight like Bret could.

*I say realistically because Shawn's selling was over-the-top, near cartoonish a lot of the time.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18634 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 07:56 AM

31. "depends on what the list is based on"

If you're focusing largely on business, then there isn't a case for him. Personally, I'd rather watch his matches and feuds than any of those guys though.

If you're doing some kind of "best performers that were also a main eventer" list, then he's got a great case. In that case I'd go something like Hart, Angle, Savage, Michaels.

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 09:02 AM

32. "I don't really see him hitting top tier on many lists "
In response to Reply # 31
Tue Sep-19-17 09:02 AM by Cold Truth

>If you're focusing largely on business, then there isn't a
>case for him. Personally, I'd rather watch his matches and
>feuds than any of those guys though.
>
>If you're doing some kind of "best performers that were also a
>main eventer" list, then he's got a great case. In that case
>I'd go something like Hart, Angle, Savage, Michaels.

I still have him behind Angle and Eddie, even Benoit.

Come to think of it, I think Jericho has surpassed him in that category too. Jericho's a superior storyteller in ring IMO and out of the ring? I do understand people putting Bret over Jericho though.

Then of course there's Flair. Punk's run was fantastic. Plus it's early and my mind is a fog and I'm having trouble thinking of the older cats who might fit the bill.

All in all Bret is in that convo but I see him having to overcome a lot to make a top 4-5 list. I think Bret is rightly revered but I think the "my guy" factor puts him on more lists than an objective review would do.

Tiger Woods
18386 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 09:36 AM

34. "never before have I agreed with you 100% haha"
In response to Reply # 32

He was good, but was he as good in-ring as Shawn Michaels, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, CM Punk? Flatly, no. And with the exception of Benoit, Bret's a less appealing character than all of those guys too.

As Bret's peer group goes, I'd rather watch Mr.Perfect matches over Bret even. Perfect could do everything Bret could do and seem to have a lot more fun doing it. And then of course there's Razor, who's probably the most underrated major player ever.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18634 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 10:08 AM

37. "Hmm, i guess I just disagree"
In response to Reply # 34

>
>He was good, but was he as good in-ring as Shawn Michaels,
>Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, CM
>Punk? Flatly, no. And with the exception of Benoit, Bret's a
>less appealing character than all of those guys too.
>
>As Bret's peer group goes, I'd rather watch Mr.Perfect matches
>over Bret even. Perfect could do everything Bret could do and
>seem to have a lot more fun doing it. And then of course
>there's Razor, who's probably the most underrated major player
>ever.

I personally enjoyed Bret's matches more than all of them, except maybe Angle. I put them on the same level. Agree with you both on Jericho, defimitely one of the best all around performers.

BrooklynWHAT
85066 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 10:02 AM

36. "there isnt one."

pretentious username
12493 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 11:01 AM

38. "while we're here, my personal Rushmore: Flair, HBK, Macho, Rock"
In response to Reply # 0

Flair is Flair and has to be there.

HBK is my all-time favorite. He wasn't the top guy of the eras he was involved with and I do think his mic work is a tad overrated, but his resume of great matches is absurd.

Macho is the best all-around talent imo. His ring work, look, persona, entrance, and mic work are all top-notch. Overshadowed by Hogan at the time but I appreciate his work WAY more in retrospect.

While Austin was #1 and Rock was 1a, I still prefer the Rock. There was charisma oozing out of his skin. The Rock can just give a look and people went nuts. Possibly the best at going from heel to face and back again.

Honorable mention: Taker. I'm always trying to squeeze him onto the list but it doesn't quite work. I was at the perfect age when he came out and I really can't describe how scared shitless kids my age were of him. That shit was REAL to us. The greatest character of all-time and the template for future big guys/scary characters but he never dominated a singular era and his mic work, while it works for the character, can't be compared to the other top guys.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 07:02 PM

41. "No Flair....? "
In response to Reply # 0

Nah.....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 07:08 PM

42. "WWE Mt Rushmore"
In response to Reply # 41

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16159 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 09:17 PM

43. "If it's a personal Rushmore, then Andre, Flair, Dusty, Rock"
In response to Reply # 0

If it's money drawn, then the OP article has it right.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2623084 Previous topic | Next topic