Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2622773

Subject: "Black Journalists all look the same to ESPN" Previous topic | Next topic
smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 09:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Black Journalists all look the same to ESPN"

and the journalists weren't fucking having it.

Michael Smith refused to go on air without her.

https://thinkprogress.org/jemele-hill-espn-off-air-53f2a4baf1af/

EXCLUSIVE: ESPN tried to kick Jemele Hill off the air and replace her with another black host

Her colleagues, including co-host Michael Smith, weren't having it.

LINDSAY GIBBS
SEP 14, 2017, 5:24 PM

At 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday evening, just three hours after the White House encouraged ESPN to fire her, Jemele Hill sat next to her co-host Michael Smith on the set of their daily SportsCenter show and, after a warm welcome to her live broadcast audience, began discussing the Cleveland Indians’ historic 21-game winning streak.

Hill — who was caught in the middle of a firestorm of controversy that began on Monday night when she tweeted that President Donald Trump was a white supremacist, which escalated when ESPN issued a statement on Tuesday reprimanding her comments and which exploded when White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said that Hill’s tweets were a “fireable offense” — was calm and composed throughout the hour, and the show went on as usual.

However, two sources familiar with the situation told ThinkProgress that this was not the original plan.

ESPN originally tried to keep Hill off the air on Wednesday evening, but Smith refused to do the show without her, the sources said. Both sources also said that producers reached out to two other black ESPN hosts, Michael Eaves and Elle Duncan, to ask them to serve as fill-ins for the show — but Eaves and Duncan did not agree to take the place of Hill and Smith, either.

At 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon, Eaves expressed his frustration with that day.

Faced with the possibility of having to replace Hill and Smith with white co-hosts, the sources said, ESPN then called Hill and asked her to come back on her show.

ESPN refutes this account.

“Yesterday was a hard and unusual day, with a number of people interpreting the day without a full picture that happened,” Rob King, the senior vice president for news and information at SportsCenter, told ThinkProgress. “In the end, ultimately, Michael and Jemele appearing on the show last night and doing the show the way they did is the outcome we always desired.”

“We never asked any other anchors to do last night’s show. Period,” ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz emailed ThinkProgress after this story was published.

Hill did not address the controversy during the show on Wednesday night, but she did release two statements on Twitter that evening. In one, she posed for a photo with men from the National Association of Black Journalists and thanked them for their support. Eaves was one of the men in the picture.

Hill has not deleted any of her tweets from Monday night, which came amid an interaction with some of her followers on Twitter about her outspoken political views.

“Donald Trump is a white supremacist who has largely surrounded himself other white supremacists,” she tweeted, adding that he is an “an unfit, bigoted, incompetent moron” who is “unqualified and unfit to be president.”

“f he were not white, he never would have been elected,” she tweeted.

Hill has not apologized for her comments; however, she did tweet on Wednesday night that she regretted the fact that the comments “painted ESPN in an unfair light.”

supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. White supremacists openly cheered his comments.

Thursday afternoon, Trump stuck by his incendiary comments. “When you look at really what’s happened since Charlottesville, a lot of people are saying and people have actually written, ‘Gee, Trump may have a point.’ I said there’s some very bad people on the other side also,” Trump told reporters on the way back from Florida.

Additional reporting by Judd Legum. This story has been updated to include an additional comment from ESPN provided to ThinkProgress after publication.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
drawing lines in the sand...
Sep 15th 2017
ESPN made an easy situation so hard for themselves SMH
Sep 15th 2017
they could have...
Sep 15th 2017
they're more scared to inflame their Trump base.
Sep 15th 2017
*smiles at all this unity*
Sep 15th 2017
Sage Steele in the meeting like...
Sep 15th 2017
RE: The whole episode would be like
Sep 16th 2017
Now I wonder
Sep 15th 2017
i'd say no. if only because any firings or demotions would look even wor...
Sep 15th 2017
They deny the whole thing tho... lol
Sep 15th 2017
Michael and Jemele are legit friends....
Sep 15th 2017
Me Too
Sep 15th 2017
Why did they need a black person to replace her?
Sep 15th 2017
its the 6, though...
Sep 15th 2017
Runnin thru the 6, Trey Wingo!
Sep 15th 2017
Goodness, no
Sep 15th 2017
      You kidding? Because that would be amazing.
Sep 16th 2017
I guess I'm just behind the times lol
Sep 15th 2017
really? replace her with a white face would be a baaaad look
Sep 15th 2017
      yup
Sep 15th 2017
Smith seems like such a good-ass dude, man.
Sep 15th 2017
Wonder how ESPN feels about this media run. Ringer got a feature too
Sep 15th 2017

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 09:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "drawing lines in the sand..."
In response to Reply # 0

..where do you stand?

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85075 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 10:05 AM

2. "ESPN made an easy situation so hard for themselves SMH"
In response to Reply # 0

they could've just left the situation alone and let it fizzle out w/ no fanfare

they could've come out and backed her.

but nope did the wrong thing at every turn.

maybe that slave auction fantasy draft wasn't an accident...

<--- Big Baller World Order

smutsboy
33301 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 10:31 AM

6. "they could have..."
In response to Reply # 2

except some (or all) of the decision makers are basically racist deep down.

So their idea of what's 'objectively good for the company' is actually completely subjective to their own bigotry.

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 08:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "they're more scared to inflame their Trump base."
In response to Reply # 2

same reason Hank Williams Jr. is back

--------

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28845 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 10:06 AM

3. "*smiles at all this unity*"
In response to Reply # 0

Bloody Sock Schilling was warned repeatedly not to keep trolling going on media tours pushing his agenda.

Linda Cohn talked about a deal ESPN negotiated and got canned.

Michelle Beadle dissed Stephen A Smith but kept her job as SAS got suspended.

This is case of Jemele Hill expressing her freedom of speech and now #snowflakenation is triggered. It's really hypocritical coming from the same people that dragged the prestige of the office of President through the mud referring to 44 as all types of racist names. These people kept their jobs and nothing happened. How dare this female black journalist express an opinion towards the President that middle America doesn't like. The nerve of her.

I am happy that the NABJ stepped up for the team member.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 10:09 AM

4. "Sage Steele in the meeting like..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://media1.giphy.com/media/xT5LMFZDsj0AKUDYTS/giphy.gif

Good to see folks sticking together though, for real

FUCK ESPN!

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Master Thespian
Member since Mar 25th 2003
622 posts
Sat Sep-16-17 06:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "RE: The whole episode would be like"
In response to Reply # 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9LdMPUWV-Q

Numba_33
Charter member
19333 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 10:20 AM

5. "Now I wonder"
In response to Reply # 0

if the folks named in that article will be in hot water with ESPN since they made ESPN look bad. I hope everyone there keeps there jobs and aren't harmed by this.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85075 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 10:32 AM

7. "i'd say no. if only because any firings or demotions would look even wor..."
In response to Reply # 5

however espn clearly has no understanding of optics.

<--- Big Baller World Order

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79605 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 10:47 AM

8. "They deny the whole thing tho... lol"
In response to Reply # 0

but you know white execs have no idea how to let shit play out or fizzle when it comes to Black folk.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Dstl1
Charter member
56230 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 11:09 AM

9. "Michael and Jemele are legit friends...."
In response to Reply # 0

glad to see this.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 11:47 AM

16. "Me Too"
In response to Reply # 9

They are real close...and glad to see him have her back (along with a multiple of past/present athletes)

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 11:10 AM

10. "Why did they need a black person to replace her?"
In response to Reply # 0

It was stupid for them to try to force her off and I'm glad her people took a stand.

But the weirdest part is that this seems to suggest that they just looked for other black ESPN employees. And once they were out of candidates, they just let Jemele stay on.

Is black hosts the theme of Sportcenter now? I haven't watched in years.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 11:12 AM

11. "its the 6, though..."
In response to Reply # 10

..who else do they have that can pull off that copy without looking like an absolute douche?

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 11:23 AM

14. "Runnin thru the 6, Trey Wingo!"
In response to Reply # 11

>..who else do they have that can pull off that copy without
>looking like an absolute douche?

Dstl1
Charter member
56230 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 12:21 PM

17. "Goodness, no"
In response to Reply # 14

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Sat Sep-16-17 12:36 AM

21. "You kidding? Because that would be amazing."
In response to Reply # 17

Fuckin amazing.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 01:31 PM

18. "I guess I'm just behind the times lol"
In response to Reply # 11

I have no idea what that is. I assumed it was just plain old Sportscenter.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79605 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 11:19 AM

12. "really? replace her with a white face would be a baaaad look"
In response to Reply # 10

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

smutsboy
33301 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 11:35 AM

15. "yup"
In response to Reply # 12

the one thing they actually had some foresight on is how bad it would look to demote her and replace her with a white person.

Then again, their racist ass stance is indefensible so none of it even matters.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 11:20 AM

13. "Smith seems like such a good-ass dude, man."
In response to Reply # 0

Props to him for standing by her, because not everyone in his industry would've done the same.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 11:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "Wonder how ESPN feels about this media run. Ringer got a feature too"
In response to Reply # 0

all about how Mike and Jemele basically got their jobs 'cause, shit, what else are we gonna put on?

Great podcast and article from Bryan Curtis, btw, it's not as simple as that, but man does it paint an interesting picture of ESPN right now, especially considering he works for The Ringer. it's like a live version of Those Guys Have All the Fun going on right now

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2622773 Previous topic | Next topic