Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2622191

Subject: "NBA again pushing for "anti-tanking" draft reform" Previous topic | Next topic
mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Thu Sep-07-17 08:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"NBA again pushing for "anti-tanking" draft reform"

Essentially, the team with worst record could pick as low as fifth overall, the three worst teams have the same odds at getting the #1 pick, and other teams get better odds at picking higher. They also want to make it so a team can't have the #1 overall pick in successive years. So, if you pick #1 in 2017, the highest pick you could get the next draft is #4.

It's annoying that Silver's still stuck on this non-existent "problem." It's not that hard to fathom that some teams during any given season are just bad.

Oh, and they're still putting together a proposal to punish teams for resting players for televised games.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20621318/reform-nba-draft-lottery-voted-17-18-season

The NBA is aggressively pursuing draft lottery reform that could be voted into legislation and instituted by the 2019 draft, league sources told ESPN.

Commissioner Adam Silver is a strong advocate to deincentivize tanking by implementing lower odds on the NBA's worst teams to gain the top picks in the draft, league sources said.

The proposed measures would also increase the chances of better teams making a jump into the draft lottery. The NBA's 14 non-playoff teams compromise the league's annual draft lottery system.

The NBA competition committee, comprised of several general managers and coaches, is expected to vote next week on sending a formal recommendation to the board of governors for final passage, league sources said.

The competition committee is given significant latitude to challenge and amend the league office's proposals, and thus could recommend none, part, or all of a proposal for the league owners to vote upon at its late September board of governors meeting in New York.

Presently, the NBA team with the worst record can drop no lower than No. 4 from No. 1, but the NBA's currently proposed legislation could allow that team to drop from first to fifth in the lottery, league sources said. This would include a domino effect through the lottery, where the second-worst record -- presently dropping no lower than fourth -- could fall to sixth. Then the No. 3 team could drop as far as seven, and on down, league sources said.

Currently, the teams with the three worst records have an ascending chance of winning the No. 1 pick, including (No. 3) 15.6 percent, (No. 2) 19.9 percent and (No. 1) 25 percent.

The NBA's proposal would flatten those odds and give the three teams with the worst record the same percentage of earning the No. 1 overall pick, league sources said. Now, the worst record to the fifth-worst record is a gap of 25 percent to 8.8 percent, but new legislation would tighten that difference significantly, league sources said.

For example, the fifth-worst team would only have a few percentage points less than those teams with newly equal odds among the three worst teams, league sources said.

At the apex of the Philadelphia 76ers tanking saga, the NBA's board of governors voted down a somewhat more liberal proposal on lottery reform in 2014.

Another idea born out of the competition committee that could gather support, league sources said: No team can pick in the top three of the draft in consecutive years. For example, if Minnesota wins the No. 1 pick and drafts Karl-Anthony Towns -- as was the case in 2015 -- it can pick no higher than No. 4 in the next lottery. For now, that idea is outside of the league office's proposal but is expected to be considered in the upcoming committee meeting, sources said.

The competition committee is also finalizing its recommendations to the board of governors on the league's new resting plan, which would level punishment on teams for sitting out key players for nationally televised games, or multiple key players for road games, league sources said. The commissioner's office has pushed a plan of minimizing, if not eliminating, the intentional resting of players in nationally televised games.

Many NBA executives believe those new measures will effectively impact the perception of the tanking issue, what with the incentivizing of teams to play healthy starters down the stretch of the season. Many teams believe that tanking is no longer an issue in the league, and that the fear of other teams mimicking the 76ers' process has been unwarranted.

There is some fear among small-market teams that lottery reform will make it even harder for them to obtain star-level players through the draft, especially because of a pervading belief that it has become increasingly hard to do so through free agency and trades. Teams believe that the process of trading for star players has become more difficult, with agents and players warning that they'll leave come free agency and will never consider re-signing with those teams.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Both suggestions are awful.
Sep 07th 2017
Agreed
Sep 08th 2017
I don't mind changing the odds.
Sep 08th 2017
The worst team still deserve the best shot at #1 pick
Sep 08th 2017
lol...how about this
Sep 08th 2017
nah
Sep 08th 2017
      lol thanks for the feedback.
Sep 08th 2017
           bro, its just a huge reach on every level.
Sep 08th 2017
just give the worst team the first pick like every other sport
Sep 08th 2017
^^^
Sep 08th 2017
I don't see why y'all have a problem with it, I don't at all
Sep 08th 2017
Have the Lakers been legit bad the last 4 years, or are they "tanking"?
Sep 08th 2017
      So as an actual Lakers fan, this is how I see it....
Sep 08th 2017
how about reducing the rev sharing for non-playoff teams based on record
Sep 08th 2017
I was about to say this
Sep 08th 2017
I will never get the obsession with "stopping tanking" in the NBA
Sep 08th 2017
cuz you're fucking w/your clients. It's bad for TV
Sep 08th 2017
me either. it's much ado about nothing
Sep 08th 2017
Also any lottery doesn't do much to discourage it
Sep 08th 2017
I'm convinced the bothers sportswriters more than fans.
Sep 08th 2017
you said it all here.
Sep 10th 2017
A lot of teams don't even try to compete for chips
Sep 10th 2017
Passes 28-1-1. OKC votes against and Dallas abstains.
Sep 28th 2017
Cool. I hope we win with the Lakers pick next year.
Sep 29th 2017
Wow...didn't realize the sixers keep that pick if it's #1
Sep 29th 2017
Its funny...this new draft does seem a little more 'fair' but at the sam...
Sep 29th 2017
This issue as well as resting players is the leagues fault
Sep 29th 2017
Ehhh hell nah, def shouldn't cut 8-10 teams!!
Sep 29th 2017
      ummm...do you know how much money would be left on the table??
Sep 29th 2017
      Ehhh hell yeah, def should cut 8-10 teams!!
Oct 01st 2017
Much ado about nothing
Sep 29th 2017
SVG's anti-tank proposal: Eliminate the draft (selective swipe)
Sep 30th 2017
yeah im here for this
Oct 01st 2017

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Thu Sep-07-17 11:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Both suggestions are awful. "
In response to Reply # 0

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59176 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 06:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Agreed"
In response to Reply # 1

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36965 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 12:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I don't mind changing the odds. "
In response to Reply # 0

But I don't like removing the ability of getting multiple #1 picks.

https://digife.com

mrhood75
44717 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 02:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "The worst team still deserve the best shot at #1 pick"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri Sep-08-17 02:01 AM by mrhood75

I don't really see much sense in flattening the odds; it just screws legit bad teams.

Just kill the lottery already.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 09:23 AM

5. "lol...how about this"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-08-17 09:34 AM by auragin_boi

Right after the season ends, give an 8 day window until the official playoffs start. That lets teams rest up and develop strategy for their first round opponent.

During this 8 day period, all 14 teams that missed the playoffs play a single elimination tournament for the 1st pick (worst record remaining after 1st round gets second round bye). Every pick after that will be determined by point differential and record (worse you lose by, higher your draft chances but your record is assigned a multiplier based on where you landed...lose big and have the worse record, you'd get #2).

The seeding would be so that the worst teams played each other and the better teams played each other. So worst record vs second worst, third worst vs 4th worst, and so on.

This allows the worst teams better chances to get to the top and the better teams harder routes.

So for 2017 it would have been:

Brooklyn vs Phoenix
Second round bye so winner moves to final 4.

LA vs Philly
Orlando vs NY
Winners play each other

Minny vs Sac
Dallas vs NO
Winners play each other

CHA vs Det
Denver vs Miami
Ditto

These extra 3-4 games are played at one location, every other day, in a playoff city so no particular home court advantage but closest to the worst team if plausible (given some places will just be closer to some).

Each player will receive a bonus for playing in the extra games (15-25% of their annual salary, prorated based on advancing, winning gets you the full amount, lose early get an evenly prorated amount).

May the best loser win.

Cenario
59176 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 09:29 AM

6. "nah"
In response to Reply # 5

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

auragin_boi
20939 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 09:36 AM

7. "lol thanks for the feedback."
In response to Reply # 6

Cenario
59176 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 09:44 AM

8. "bro, its just a huge reach on every level."
In response to Reply # 7

not sure it makes sense or generates any money for the league to go through with it. You've got a loose nail and you are trying to fix it with a battering ram.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79574 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 10:30 AM

9. "just give the worst team the first pick like every other sport"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mrhood75
44717 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 11:17 AM

10. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 9

-----------------

www.albumism.com

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 01:01 PM

11. "I don't see why y'all have a problem with it, I don't at all"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

mrhood75
44717 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 01:40 PM

14. "Have the Lakers been legit bad the last 4 years, or are they "tanking"?"
In response to Reply # 11

They've been legit bad. And by being legit bad, they've had the last three #2 overall picks, and they've been able to add players that either are or thought they were going make them better. So now, they're finally in a place where things **might** be looking up. They're not play-off good this season, but they'll be incrementally better and on the right track.

With the revised rules, chances are you wouldn't have gotten the #2 pick this season. And then with no draft pick, things sure aren't looking up.

So why penalize the Lakers for being legit not so good?

-----------------

www.albumism.com

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 05:17 PM

19. "So as an actual Lakers fan, this is how I see it...."
In response to Reply # 14

Yeah, they've legit sucked, although folks have still rooted for us tanking. I do feel like Byron's last season, they did purposely tank, but even then, it's arguable.

My thing is...Whether we got the #1 or #4 pick, overall, that's still a high enough pick to assist with the rebuild. And we know how it's ALLLLL a crap shoot any way...as backwards as it sounds, there are more successful #3 picks than #2 picks, so it's surely not a for sure thing that a higher pick is going to bring success.

Of course I'm happy as hell we got the #2 pick this season, but in the previous years, we may have ended up just as good (ok, just as bad) with a #4 or #5 pick....you never know.

Now, if he wanted to revise it to where the worst three teams have the same odds as the #1 pick as the 13th worst team? Which is almost how it was when Orlando got the #1 in 93? That would be an issue. But if he does change it, I don't see it being that big of a change for real. It may even help out those semi-bad teams who are stuck at like 23-25th worst, and would actually make good use of a #1 pick versus a completely garbage team who wastes their potential and skill.

sndesai1
Member since Feb 02nd 2013
1229 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 01:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "how about reducing the rev sharing for non-playoff teams based on record"
In response to Reply # 0

then owners will have a direct financial incentive to win as many games as possible

or just move on...tanking isn't that big of an issue

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 01:56 PM

15. "I was about to say this"
In response to Reply # 12

if they don't take a real financial hit for putting a trash product on the court, AND there's more lottery balls for sucking, then you can slice it up however you want, but things won't change much.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 01:13 PM

13. "I will never get the obsession with "stopping tanking" in the NBA"
In response to Reply # 0

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 01:59 PM

16. "cuz you're fucking w/your clients. It's bad for TV "
In response to Reply # 13

and it's bad for season ticket holders. In the grand scheme of things,

I don't really care, though.

I think there's a decent amount of disincentive for GMs to try and avoid tanking, because a la Sam Hinkie, GMs are rarely allowed to see that strategy through from start to finish.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85066 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 03:51 PM

17. "me either. it's much ado about nothing"

<--- Big Baller World Order

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 05:19 PM

20. "Also any lottery doesn't do much to discourage it"

Unless they did even odds for all non-playoff teams, which they won't/shouldn't. If tanking exists then why wouldn't a team tanks for a better CHANCE at the top pick rather than a full guarantee of the top pick? It makes no sense to keep overcomplicating it.

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 04:03 PM

18. "I'm convinced the bothers sportswriters more than fans. "
In response to Reply # 0

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Sun Sep-10-17 12:57 PM

21. "you said it all here."
In response to Reply # 0

>It's annoying that Silver's still stuck on this non-existent
>"problem."

what team in recent memory has prospered from all the tanking?
if you say the Cavs, you know that there's an asterisk to that one

icecold21
Member since Jan 18th 2008
8433 posts
Sun Sep-10-17 05:50 PM

22. "A lot of teams don't even try to compete for chips"
In response to Reply # 0

just turn a profit by making the playoffs or winning
enough to draw fans.

Like the Hawks for example.

But the owners/Silver take issue with teams getting
too bad in order to get legitimately good.

Its stupid as shit.

Owners don't like the lost revenue from playing uncompetitive
teams and the bad publicity that comes with tanking. They don't
want to break the illusion that every team is trying.

They need to leave the shit alone.

mrhood75
44717 posts
Thu Sep-28-17 08:33 PM

23. "Passes 28-1-1. OKC votes against and Dallas abstains."
In response to Reply # 0

Still so fucking stupid. Silver talks a lot of shit now, but when big market teams like NY, Chiago, Brooklyn, and potentially LA get hosed for legitimately sucking, we'll see how happy everyone is.

Oh, and the anti-rest stuff passed as well. Also dumb. Mostly because it's something that can and sort of is being addressed by scheduling.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Sep-29-17 07:15 AM

24. "Cool. I hope we win with the Lakers pick next year."
In response to Reply # 23

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

auragin_boi
20939 posts
Fri Sep-29-17 08:27 AM

25. "Wow...didn't realize the sixers keep that pick if it's #1"
In response to Reply # 24

I think that singular aspect of that deal makes the East for the next 6-7 yrs up for grabs. If it goes to Boston...well, anything 2-5 would be awesome in next yrs draft. If Philly gets back to back #1's AND have a good season?

Maaan...listen. But I don't think the lakers will suck THAT bad. Pick is likely to be 2-8.

Also, the new rules don't take effect until the 2019 draft so...

Cenario
59176 posts
Fri Sep-29-17 08:38 AM

26. "Its funny...this new draft does seem a little more 'fair' but at the sam..."
In response to Reply # 23

it won't prevent tanking. The worst teams still have the best odds. The advantage of being in the lottery vs being an 8th seed is still there. I don't see it doing anything to curb teams that wanna tank.

So draft reform is fine. Draft reform to fix tanking is dumb. lol

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Fri Sep-29-17 05:12 PM

27. "This issue as well as resting players is the leagues fault"
In response to Reply # 0

The league long ago should’ve look into contraction. The league should’ve cut 8-10 teams from the league. Teams are more competitive and we wouldn’t see teams like Philly who trades there top picks that they draft every 2 to 3 years.

As far as the resting issue goes... you didn’t touch on it in great detail, but it went along with the vote that took place. It is not the top teams in the NBA’s fault that the league only showcases the top 3 to 4 teams and a couple other teams that has a marquee player but the team isn’t that good. If the league won’t show the Bulls vs Nets on a Saturday night prime time game on ABC then that’s the league’s issue and not a team that might want to rest a particular player on that given night.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Sep-29-17 06:58 PM

28. "Ehhh hell nah, def shouldn't cut 8-10 teams!!"
In response to Reply # 27

And even with that, some teams would still suck.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4874 posts
Fri Sep-29-17 09:04 PM

30. "ummm...do you know how much money would be left on the table??"
In response to Reply # 28

I mean, it would be great for fans but the league isn't closing no teams, let alone 10.

This is about $$

That's all the league cares about. All the owners care about.

I think sports fans forget that sometimes.

You think the NBA cares if Philly sucks if they still make $$?

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Sun Oct-01-17 11:41 AM

32. "Ehhh hell yeah, def should cut 8-10 teams!!"
In response to Reply # 28

Every team would be competitive. You have the cream of the crop that’s playing in the league. Once again if all you show on TV on a consistent basis are the Warriors, Cavs, Celtics, Spurs, Rockets, Bulls (not now with everyone gone) then that is a huge problem. The NBA as well as the NFL has a problem with this big time. Both leagues need to do a better job in showcasing their entire league more consistently. Cutting teams will help even out the balance, therefore allowing the NBA to be able to put every team on television.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Fri Sep-29-17 08:38 PM

29. "Much ado about nothing"
In response to Reply # 0

Few players sit very few games. Non-issue.

The tanking thing is just a ticky-tack tweak to the existing system. If they want to fight it then just stop the whole notion of a redistributive draft. Randomize the order or give the team that won the championship the top pick. I don't mind the system as it is, frankly.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28844 posts
Sat Sep-30-17 10:23 AM

31. "SVG's anti-tank proposal: Eliminate the draft (selective swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20869618/stan-van-gundy-detroit-pistons-coach-suggests-eliminating-nba-draft-curb-tanking

Detroit Pistons coach Stan Van Gundy believes that the solution to discourage the worst NBA teams from tanking their seasons is to wipe out the NBA draft.

"I'd get rid of it, just get rid of the draft altogether," Van Gundy told reporters after practice Friday. "We'd just deal with the salary cap. Make all free agents coming in, and if I want to go give a guy $50 million a year, good, but I got to do it under the cap."

bleekgilliam_420
Charter member
7357 posts
Sun Oct-01-17 12:33 PM

33. "yeah im here for this"
In response to Reply # 31

there's no need to for it in the nba, especially since its only 2 rounds. as long as they have a salary cap, they might as well make it a few marketplace for all teams.
they won't do this though, because it take away the easiest narrative a team can have around hope though.

---------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/malael

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2622191 Previous topic | Next topic