Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2621424

Subject: "Anyone watching the FIBA Americup?" Previous topic | Next topic
ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Aug-29-17 12:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anyone watching the FIBA Americup?"

I had a chance to see some games live. There is not top-level talent for many teams because this is just a Pan-Am Games qualifier but that sort of made it more interesting. Jeff Van Gundy is coaching the U.S. team, they have Marshall Plumlee and maybe some other NBA benchwarmers, Larry Drew's kid (who plays in Puerto Rico), etc.

I saw six teams live, some of the guys play or played NCAA ball (Lorenzo Mata of UCLA, at least three Colombians played college ball in the States, etc). Lots of undersized guards with decent games limited by their size, athletic-for-nothing wings and big stiffs in the middle in some cases, but some good players, too.

I was surprised at the kind of low quality of the Brazilian team, they had one guy who could be a classic Euro-style big (plays in Brazil still now) but overall they were pretty underwhelming. The Mexican team was deep, no standouts but a lot of useful players. Colombia had Mosquera who you may remember from IU (transferred to East Tennessee State) and a guard from FSU, plus an incoming point guard at Liberty. He is small AF (5'10" listed but more like 5'8") but he could really handle the ball and penetrate well.

Is this shit even on TV in the States?

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2621424 Previous topic | Next topic