Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2619668

Subject: "New NBA scheduling detail" Previous topic | Next topic
ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Tue Aug-08-17 05:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"New NBA scheduling detail"

not great, but steps in the right direction when you include the shortened preseason and longer all star break.

I know People want to see less games overall, but thats probably a pipe dream. Its interesting that SOME of the schedule is releasing this week and some is not. Presumably thats to leave flexibility to the pending/possible Kyrie and maybe even Melo trades.....

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20286965/nba-issues-memo-detailing-how-add-rest-schedule
Some of the new improvements include:

• Eliminating stretches of four games in five days and 18 games in 30 days.

• Reduction of five games in seven nights to just 40 instances across (1.3 per team), down from last year when it was on the schedule 90 times (three per team).

• Reduction in number of back-to-backs to 14.9 per team, down from 16.3 per team. In all, 40 back-to-backs have been eliminated from last season.

• Reduction of single-game road trips by 17 percent.

• Reduction in single-game road trips over 2,000 miles by 67 percent; there are only 11 of them on schedule.

• Increase in weekend games from 549 to 568, much of the boost coming on Saturdays. Previously the NBA avoided Saturdays and Sunday afternoons during football season to dodge conflicts.

Teams that have seen versions of their schedules can petition the league for changes. However, the overall themes will stay intact.

The schedule is expected to be finalized this week and portions are expected to be announced soon.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Nice...do we know the league start and end date?
Aug 08th 2017
Only eliminating one back-to-back game per season? Wack.
Aug 08th 2017
That's an odd way of cherry picking.
Aug 09th 2017
didn't they start reducing back to backs the previous season too?
Aug 09th 2017
I just don't see how they can penalize them...maybe the opposite
Aug 09th 2017
they'll never drop the 82. but maybe this will dead that resting mess.
Aug 09th 2017
they shouldn't from a historical perspective, they've played 82 games...
Aug 09th 2017
      agreed. but don't worry, it ain't changing.
Aug 09th 2017
Good start
Aug 09th 2017
Season starts Oct 17
Aug 10th 2017
sorta OT, I've always thought there should be way more in-division games
Aug 10th 2017
In division...now? why?
Aug 10th 2017
      exactly. More in-division games would make divisions meaningful
Aug 15th 2017
           how?
Aug 15th 2017
So If yall didnt know the schedule is released now
Aug 15th 2017
Damn silver trying
Aug 15th 2017
Ive always felt in traditional yahoo leagues
Aug 15th 2017
      yeah. i can't even think about ways to make it work besides
Aug 15th 2017
           RE: yeah. i can't even think about ways to make it work besides
Aug 15th 2017
I'll give them props for these two changes:
Aug 15th 2017
Fucking love it, what a great metric.
Aug 15th 2017

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Tue Aug-08-17 06:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Nice...do we know the league start and end date?"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Tue Aug-08-17 06:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Only eliminating one back-to-back game per season? Wack."
In response to Reply # 0

But I'm sure they're going to go hard for penalizing teams that rest players for prime time games.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Wed Aug-09-17 09:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "That's an odd way of cherry picking."
In response to Reply # 2

The rest of the changes are pretty reasonable from only expanding the season by one week. Increasing the number of games on Saturdays and reducing overall travel seem like good faith changes to encourage player rest.

Like, they're never going to reduce the number games but it's also likely that these are just the start of changes to the schedule for future seasons. Baby steps.

Cenario
59181 posts
Wed Aug-09-17 09:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "didn't they start reducing back to backs the previous season too?"
In response to Reply # 3

each team losing one per game per season in conjunction with everything else is kind of a big deal imo

1 less back to back is like 1 less reason to rest a star player on the road. thats big.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4882 posts
Wed Aug-09-17 09:34 AM

6. " I just don't see how they can penalize them...maybe the opposite"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed Aug-09-17 09:34 AM by Stadiq

I mean, if the league says "you get fined for rest" won't teams just sit players for soreness, tweaked knees, etc?

I do wonder if they have thought about putting financial incentives in place for those who play all 82 or something.

Or, I wonder what type of impact it would have if you had to play say...at least 79-80 games to qualify for post-season awards, including all nba.

I don't even think I like these ideas, but I am curious if they have thought about something similar.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Wed Aug-09-17 09:08 AM

4. "they'll never drop the 82. but maybe this will dead that resting mess."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Aug-09-17 09:45 AM

7. "they shouldn't from a historical perspective, they've played 82 games..."
In response to Reply # 4

for 50 years, I feel like shortening that would dilute some things record-wise. For instance would averaging a triple-double over 60 games be held in the same regard as 82?

It seems like already that there's a lot of disrespect towards players from past generations saying how but "better" modern players are saying "so-and-so would dominate in the 60's blah-blah" ignoring the obvious facts that today's players have significant advantages as far as training, nutrition, medical care, shoe technology, travel, the list goes on and on.

I don't wanna see Lebron or KD average 50 in 60 game season and people try to put them up there with Wilt, nah bruh lol...

Cenario
59181 posts
Wed Aug-09-17 11:19 AM

9. "agreed. but don't worry, it ain't changing."
In response to Reply # 7

niggas stay complaining the season is too long but still watching.

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Wed Aug-09-17 10:22 AM

8. "Good start"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Cenario
59181 posts
Thu Aug-10-17 06:20 AM

10. "Season starts Oct 17"
In response to Reply # 0

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Thu Aug-10-17 09:36 AM

11. "sorta OT, I've always thought there should be way more in-division games"
In response to Reply # 0

Cenario
59181 posts
Thu Aug-10-17 09:39 AM

12. "In division...now? why?"
In response to Reply # 11

divisions don't mean anything

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Tue Aug-15-17 12:19 PM

19. "exactly. More in-division games would make divisions meaningful"
In response to Reply # 12

>divisions don't mean anything

Cenario
59181 posts
Tue Aug-15-17 12:37 PM

21. "how?"
In response to Reply # 19

it makes zero sense to have a division heavy schedule when winning the division means nothing.

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Tue Aug-15-17 09:58 AM

13. "So If yall didnt know the schedule is released now"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Aug-15-17 10:01 AM by ShawndmeSlanted

We talked about this before but no more 4 games in 5 nights is the biggest change I think. I think the number of back to backs will continue to go down the next couple seasons--maybe getting as low as 10 per season.

Opening night
Bos vs Cle
Hou vs GS

Christmas
Philly at NY
Cle at GS
Wiz at Cs
Hou at OKC
Minn at LAL

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/08/14/nbas-scheduling-changes-should-give-players-more-rest-and-fans-a-better-product/?utm_term=.8ad05b975c85

One of the biggest surprises is that Lakers have 35 national TV games which I think is 4th in the league. If that doesnt tell you about the power of Lonzo Ball (as a marketing asset), I dont know what does.

-If youre on National TV you wont have a game the night before or after.

-They are also giving National TV some flex

-Another cool thing is leveling playing field by not having Team A be on a back to back while Team B is rested.

The added rest days will also further level the playing field for all 30 NBA teams. How so? By trying to make sure as many games as possible come with both teams having the same amount of rest using what the league calls a “Free/Tired/Even” metric. If the two teams playing in a game have the same amount of rest, they are even. If one team played the night before and the other didn’t, the team that didn’t play is “free” and gains a point, and the team that did is “tired” and loses one.

As recent as the 2014-15 season, the disparity between the most and least rested teams over the course of a season was plus-nine and minus-nine, meaning one team could theoretically have 18 extra days of rest by season’s end. This year, Milwaukee is the most rested team at plus-four, while Atlanta and Chicago are the least at minus-five.

- Oh and the NBA is also adding a "Week" classification for games like NFL:

In an effort to try to break up the monotony of a six-month schedule, the NBA is taking a page out of the books of both the NFL and English Premier League and labeling their season by individual weeks on the league’s website, and it will be promoting the league that way, too. In doing so, the NBA is hoping to increase interest in the regular season by better highlighting smaller patches of the schedule. There’s little doubt this also is an attempt to try to make basketball more appealing from a fantasy perspective, where the sport lags far behind football.

It will take a long time for this to catch on, and there is no guarantee that it will. But it’s an intriguing idea to try to add some variety to a regular season that even the most diehard of NBA fans would agree can drag on at times due to the sheer length of it, as well as the volume of games.

---

Cenario
59181 posts
Tue Aug-15-17 10:02 AM

14. "Damn silver trying"
In response to Reply # 13

Not sure the week thing will catch on tho, unless each team is playing the same amount of games each week. (From a fantasy perspective)

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Tue Aug-15-17 10:07 AM

15. "Ive always felt in traditional yahoo leagues"
In response to Reply # 14

They should divide by the number of games played for stats. That would allow some more balance in terms of weekly matchups not being determined by more games.

---

Cenario
59181 posts
Tue Aug-15-17 10:08 AM

16. "yeah. i can't even think about ways to make it work besides"
In response to Reply # 15

what WS does. Seems like the best and most logical lol

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Tue Aug-15-17 10:17 AM

17. "RE: yeah. i can't even think about ways to make it work besides"
In response to Reply # 16

except lag times between games and injury stuff.

I think the week to week does keep people more engaged throughout the season in general, but WS has so many other benefits if you already have an engaged group

---

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Tue Aug-15-17 11:07 AM

18. "I'll give them props for these two changes:"

>-If youre on National TV you wont have a game the night before
>or after.
>

>-Another cool thing is leveling playing field by not having
>Team A be on a back to back while Team B is rested.
>

I'll have to look over the schedules in more detail. I don't mind the back-to-backs as much if they're under the right circumstances, like home B2B, or road B2B when it's Sacramento to LA or Detroit to Toronto or Miami to Orlando or even Atlanta. But road B2B from like Memphis to San Antonio is just assinine.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Tue Aug-15-17 12:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "Fucking love it, what a great metric."

Silver is firing on all cylinders (along with the chatter he's also interested in the science behind medical marijuana)

In 25 years could this be a basketball country? hmmmmmmmm

(naw it wouldn't, but Silver's trying his damndest to close that gap)

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2619668 Previous topic | Next topic