Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2618867

Subject: "MLB has a cocaine problem (swipe)-" Previous topic | Next topic
kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17854 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 03:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"MLB has a cocaine problem (swipe)-"

"The player, who told me this story under the condition that no one in it be named, ended up with three organizations before retiring last year."

arod, no?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/major-league-baseball-cocaine_us_597b505ae4b02a4ebb75150b

HuffPost EDITION US SPORTS
07/28/2017 12:10 pm ET | Updated 3 hours ago

Major League Baseball Has A Cocaine Problem
Players say it’s a dirty secret that no one — including the league — wants to talk about.

Andy Martino On Assignment For HuffPost

A rookie infielder arrived in the big leagues in 2012, and a few of his teammates decided to take him out to a nightclub after a game. Three veteran players ― one of whom is a current MLB All-Star and two of whom played a combined 23 years in the league ― joined him in a cab, and one pulled out a baggie of cocaine. They all did a few bumps, and when they got to the club, began cutting up lines and snorting them on the table.

The player, who told me this story under the condition that no one in it be named, ended up with three organizations before retiring last year. During his career, he said, he used cocaine “a handful” of times and marijuana frequently. “Of the 400 days of service time I had, I probably smoked on 150 of them,” he told me. “A lot of guys would wake up at 9 a.m. and smoke, but I never wanted to do anything mind-altering until after the game.”

The above anecdote is far from rare: Current and former players tell me that as many as 25 percent of MLB players are cocaine users. At least one player has seen his career decline amid longstanding concern from his team about his use of the drug.

In the nine years I spent as a reporter in Major League clubhouses (I covered the Phillies for the Philadelphia Inquirer and the Mets for the New York Daily News) the whispers about players’ illegal drug use were rampant, although drowned out in public by the debate over steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs. I always felt that this was a serious issue, but ― for understandable reasons ― could never get anyone to speak publicly about it.

Then, cocaine factored into the deaths of two high-profile players, pitchers Tommy Hanson, 29, and Jose Fernandez, 24. Fernandez was a charismatic star for the Miami Marlins; when you interviewed him, you couldn’t help but walk away charmed and dazzled, and convinced that his unbridled enthusiasm represented the future of the game. His death last year hit baseball hard, and the fact that he was drunk and had cocaine in his system when he crashed his speedboat, killing himself and two others, seemed to get lost amid all the tributes.

Perhaps that was appropriate at the time, as teammates and fans mourned. But I always felt irresponsible for hearing about the use of coke in baseball and never being able to nail it down. Fernandez’s death practically begged for the issue to be dealt with. And interviews with current and former players now confirm that we were all indeed ignoring a real story.

“I think baseball has had a problem for its entire life,” one active player told me this week. “Take into account our age and fame and money, and the number goes up fast.”

While many in the public might assume that baseball tests for recreational drugs, that is not generally the case. MLB’s Joint Drug Agreement bans so-called “drugs of abuse” like marijuana, cocaine, opiates and ecstasy, but does not test for them without “reasonable cause.” Spokespeople for MLB and the Players Association declined to comment on how many players are tested, citing confidentiality.

Without random testing, it is impossible to quantify use, and estimates vary. I asked four players, two active and two recently retired, to estimate cocaine and marijuana use in the league. Three of the players offered educated guesses that ranged from 5 percent to 25 percent for cocaine, and 25 percent to 75 percent for marijuana. A fourth player, this one a current star for a contending team, offered a more modest estimate, saying that “one or two guys” on his ballclub used either cocaine or marijuana.

Even the players whose estimates were on the lower end presented a scenario in which the drugs were more widespread in baseball than elsewhere in the country. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, 0.6 percent of Americans aged 12 or older were cocaine users as of 2014. A Gallup poll last year reported that 13 percent of adults in the U.S. are marijuana users (a number that nearly doubled over a three-year period, as recreational use became legal or decriminalized in one state and city after another).

Miami Marlins starting pitcher Jose Fernandez throws a pitch in May 2016 (Image not included). He died in a boating accident later that year. MLB officials push back on the notion that the league has a growing problem with illegal drugs, and point to a four-person treatment board, which includes two addiction psychologists, that designs individualized testing and treatment programs for those in need. A source also said that random tests for drugs of abuse in the minor leagues, where they are allowed, come back positive approximately 0.5 percent of the time (although players tell me that it is common to celebrate promotions to the big leagues by indulging in coke and pot).

The league has a fair point about the aspect of a “growing problem.” I think the issue is more persistent in nature; it’s just that in prior eras, cocaine use received more publicity. In the 1980s, All-Stars such as Steve Howe and Dwight Gooden were among many who saw their careers derailed by the drug. That decade also brought the 1985 Pittsburgh drug trial, when seven ballplayers testified about their illicit use.

Since then, we have tended to think more about steroids as the problematic drug in baseball. But as one former MLB official put it, “There is so much focus on , and for me, having a crack or cocaine addiction is worse than using Androgel.”

Guys need some help coping and blowing off steam.
One MLB player on pressure in the league
Ballplayers are naturally at risk to develop those addictions. Big-league life is more challenging than it might seem, despite the generous pay. Many players are an injury or slump away from losing their jobs, and often worn down by the physical grind of a 162-game schedule and the mental toll of answering to reporters, fans and social media followers.

“Baseball is stressful,” one player told me. “Guys need some help coping and blowing off steam.”

But it’s a slippery slope from blowing off steam to real danger ― and there is no doubt that there are players today who are seriously flirting with that line. If they ― and MLB ― don’t address the problem, the next tragedy or scandal could come any time.

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayer™

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I always think of bloody noses and heart attacks re: cocaine
Jul 28th 2017
pretty casually though even intermittent use is pretty bad for you
Jul 29th 2017
pretty casually though even intermittent use is pretty bad for you
Jul 29th 2017
Very.
Aug 04th 2017
Pretty much anyone using it who isn't rich
Aug 04th 2017
You can say that about most jobs
Jul 28th 2017
A bunch of white boys do coke. Shocker.
Jul 28th 2017
like 30% of the league is latino
Jul 29th 2017
So do Latinos. And most of my fav Black players gave me that cokehead
Aug 01st 2017
I shouldn't have thought this without any evidence...
Jul 29th 2017
it says rookie IF 2012, not puig or a-rod
Jul 29th 2017
      i thought the player was telling the story abt the rookie IF.
Jul 29th 2017
      it is slightly confusing but i do believe the IF is the source here
Jul 29th 2017
      i didn't try to figure out who it was, but it seemed like the story gave...
Jul 29th 2017
      yeah i think if you put your mind to it, it would be easy
Jul 29th 2017
      My bad. I didn't word my reply well.
Jul 29th 2017
i feel like once you hit a certain tax bracket
Jul 29th 2017
it's pretty common to use or have exposure to
Jul 29th 2017
I'd guess that adderall and/or dexidrine is a bigger problem.
Jul 31st 2017
RE: MLB has a cocaine problem (swipe)-
Aug 04th 2017

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4381 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 06:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I always think of bloody noses and heart attacks re: cocaine"
In response to Reply # 0

How casually can it be used?

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sat Jul-29-17 07:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"pretty casually though even intermittent use is pretty bad for you"

the vast majority of drug users are recreational, intermittent users, not addicts. that goes for any drug, even heroin and meth, and cocaine is used even more casually than either of those. now studies are showing that even occasional use puts strain on the heart and may have long-term effects, even before 40. but yeah there are a lot of people who can use it here and there, even go months between uses.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Jul-29-17 07:32 AM

5. "pretty casually though even intermittent use is pretty bad for you"
In response to Reply # 1

the vast majority of drug users are recreational, intermittent users, not addicts. that goes for any drug, even heroin and meth, and cocaine is used even more casually than either of those. now studies are showing that even occasional use puts strain on the heart and may have long-term effects, even before 40. but yeah there are a lot of people who can use it here and there, even go months between uses.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Aug-04-17 07:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "Very."
In response to Reply # 1

fuck you.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Aug-04-17 08:18 AM

18. "Pretty much anyone using it who isn't rich"
In response to Reply # 1

is doing it casually.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20758 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 07:56 PM

2. "You can say that about most jobs"
In response to Reply # 0

Blow is surprisingly used by more people around you than you think. It's weird

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85051 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 08:08 PM

3. "A bunch of white boys do coke. Shocker. "
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Jul-29-17 07:33 AM

6. "like 30% of the league is latino"
In response to Reply # 3

lest we look back on tim raines, dave parker, doc gooden, the straw, et al for further evidence of why that doesn't hold much water.

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Tue Aug-01-17 11:54 AM

16. "So do Latinos. And most of my fav Black players gave me that cokehead "
In response to Reply # 3

feel also.

I have no proof of anything, but I wouldn't be shocked if all 3 of these brothers enjoyed a couple bumps in their heyday.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/San+Francisco+Giants+v+Oakland+Athletics+LtZgw4rbRrtm.jpg

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Sat Jul-29-17 12:46 AM

4. "I shouldn't have thought this without any evidence..."
In response to Reply # 0

I shouldn't have thought this without any evidence, but when I read this article, but the first player that came to mind was Yasiel Puig.

His first season was great and given how fast the lifestyle can be in LA, his decline the last couple of years and the run-ins with coaches and players could be explained by substance abuse.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Jul-29-17 07:33 AM

7. "it says rookie IF 2012, not puig or a-rod"
In response to Reply # 4

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17854 posts
Sat Jul-29-17 01:12 PM

8. "i thought the player was telling the story abt the rookie IF."
In response to Reply # 7

mi malo.

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayer™

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Jul-29-17 03:56 PM

9. "it is slightly confusing but i do believe the IF is the source here"
In response to Reply # 8

it adds up when you think about a reserve IF playing from 2012-2016 and having "about 400 service days."

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sat Jul-29-17 03:57 PM

10. "i didn't try to figure out who it was, but it seemed like the story gave..."
In response to Reply # 7

enough information to figure it out.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Jul-29-17 05:46 PM

12. "yeah i think if you put your mind to it, it would be easy"
In response to Reply # 10

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Sat Jul-29-17 04:06 PM

11. "My bad. I didn't word my reply well. "
In response to Reply # 7

I meant to say that Puig might have been A player who got caught up in substance abuse, not the player the article mentioned.

I'm not sure who player the article referenced.

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Sat Jul-29-17 06:11 PM

13. "i feel like once you hit a certain tax bracket"
In response to Reply # 0

cocaine becomes alot more normal

atleast it being around

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Jul-29-17 06:14 PM

14. "it's pretty common to use or have exposure to"
In response to Reply # 13

i don't even think you have to be real rich. plenty of exposure at colleges. and obviously the opposite end of the spectrum--living in a low-income area--there is a good chance you're exposed to it also.

think about athletes in the 70s, man. back then the money wasn't nearly as big, there was more an emphasis on machismo than taking care of your body and people didn't really know much about cocaine from a medical standpoint. it's no wonder it damn near destroyed some leagues. derek sanderson talked a lot about blow in a documentary about him, wild-ass sessions that lasted for three days.

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 08:14 PM

15. "I'd guess that adderall and/or dexidrine is a bigger problem."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-31-17 08:15 PM by denny

There was an article a few months back that revealed that MLB players are TEN times more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD than the rest of the population. LOL. The team doctors give them bullshit diagnosis so that they can take performance enhancing drugs. They used to call them greenies in the 70's and 80's and apparently teams would have jars full of them in the clubhouses. I can't think of any other sport where adderall would more effective.

I think Marcus Stroman might chew his tongue off when I watch him pitch. Dude is literally tweaking every time he pitches.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Aug-04-17 08:19 AM

19. "RE: MLB has a cocaine problem (swipe)-"
In response to Reply # 0

http://s3cf.recapguide.com/img/tv/117/3x17/The-Simpsons-Season-3-Episode-17-26-fea2.jpg

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2618867 Previous topic | Next topic