Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2617582

Subject: "MLB Trade Deadline" Previous topic | Next topic
Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Thu Jul-13-17 04:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"MLB Trade Deadline"

Quintana to the Cubbies for 4 prospects (2 top top prospects in Eloy Jimenez and Dylan Cease)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
That's a nice haul for Quintana
Jul 15th 2017
The Cubs trading all that for Quintana makes me happy
Jul 15th 2017
      Surprised they didn't go after Cueto but that's a potential rental
Jul 15th 2017
           I imagine they're looking at it as willing to run a fire sale in two yea...
Jul 16th 2017
Nationals get relievers Ryan Madson & Sean Doolittle
Jul 16th 2017
Your bullpen is sooooo fucking key in the playoffs
Jul 16th 2017
i wish the astros had made this trade
Jul 17th 2017
Do you guys have a connection with the Oakland or Chicago FO?
Jul 17th 2017
It's kind of weird
Jul 17th 2017
      Gio Gonzalez is patient zero for CHI/OAK/WAS trades
Jul 17th 2017
better than nothing. still not great.
Jul 17th 2017
And now you added Brandon Kintzler
Jul 31st 2017
JD, JV, Miggy, Justin Wilson
Jul 17th 2017
I think honor keeps JV and Miggy around.
Jul 17th 2017
I believe JD is our biggest asset
Jul 17th 2017
I think $192 million keeps Cabrera around
Jul 17th 2017
      Yea I don't think he gets moved
Jul 18th 2017
and...JD's gone...to the Diamonbacks for prospects...
Jul 18th 2017
      What a bag of dicks we got
Jul 19th 2017
           the market for corner outfielders was pretty low
Jul 31st 2017
Yanks get The Toddfather and 2 live power-arms...
Jul 19th 2017
how was this on the second page?
Jul 31st 2017
bc its beisbol
Jul 31st 2017
Yeah u dont need to do firesales anymore
Jul 31st 2017
all of the deals i've been seeing look pretty good for the buyers
Jul 31st 2017
      Why those are 2 top prospects that were just injured
Aug 01st 2017
Darvish to the Dodgers
Jul 31st 2017
Darvish....Watson...Cingrani.....
Jul 31st 2017
by Yu, i love you
Aug 01st 2017
i hope the astros get another reliever besides liriano
Jul 31st 2017
the stros are fine. cruise control...
Jul 31st 2017
lol Nunez is cooking so hard for BoSox right now
Aug 02nd 2017

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sat Jul-15-17 09:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "That's a nice haul for Quintana"
In response to Reply # 0

I guess his contract status factored in, I think he has three years left on a reasonable deal. He had a pretty lousy start to the year but has pitched better lately for sure.

I get that the Cubs' pitching has been iffy and two of their better pitchers are pending FAs but it seems like a lot to give up. I wonder what other offers were out there.

Hopefully Quintana can return to form, I would love to see a Colombian with a prominent role in the playoffs. I guess they have an outside chance of catching Milwaukee or Colorado, who seems to be sputtering.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

cantball
Charter member
46630 posts
Sat Jul-15-17 10:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "The Cubs trading all that for Quintana makes me happy"
In response to Reply # 1

He's going to have a real hard time pitching in NL Central bandbox parks, and the fact that they gave up that much for him is awesome.

<================== Learn the name now before everyone gets dunked on

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Jul-15-17 10:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Surprised they didn't go after Cueto but that's a potential rental"
In response to Reply # 2

I guess they didn't want to have a third potential big-ticket FA pitcher but wow to trade the #5 prospect in baseball and your organization's top pitching prospect for a guy who projects as maybe a No. 3 starter seems heavy. And this is from someone who really like Quintana from a sentimental perspective.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Sun Jul-16-17 12:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I imagine they're looking at it as willing to run a fire sale in two yea..."
In response to Reply # 3
Sun Jul-16-17 12:34 PM by Nodima

if everything falls apart, or even next year if they repeat their weirdo ways from this summer. if you look at their contract situation they really only have Zobrist, Strop, Lester, Quintana, Heyward and Rizzo locked in through next year let alone the following three. Obviously the Cubs have given up a several highly regarded prospects but they could tank and restock the farm quickly if things remain surprisingly mediocre.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Sun Jul-16-17 08:05 PM

5. "Nationals get relievers Ryan Madson & Sean Doolittle"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jul-16-17 08:12 PM by Call It Anything

In exchange, Blake Treinen returns to his former franchise in Oakland and the A's get minor league prospects Jesus Luzardo and Sheldon Neuse. The prospects were the Nationals 3rd and 2nd round picks in 2016, respectively, so they have good pedigrees but little track record thus far.

The Nationals are on the hook for $7.66 to Madson next year and $4.38 to Doolittle with additional options after that. Treinen is set to hit arbitration eligibility next year.

Decent move. The prospects are too far out to really value at this point. I mean, Brad Peacock got traded for a pitcher in 2011 and looked like he'd never amount to anything until about 3 months ago. Got to plug some holes and this does that. A's are always about saving money and I think this is like the 10th or 11th trade between Rizzo and Beane.

Doolittle is a bit of a local guy. Grew up in New Jersey but played a little bit of showcase ball for a team based in Reston, VA and then was a stud 2 way player at UVA. He was drafted as a position player and made it to AAA. Hoping Dusty runs him out there in weird pinch hit situations but given his injury history, I doubt it.

Madson also marks the 3rd member of the 2008 World Fucking Champion Phillies team on the Nationals along with Werth and Blanton.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sun Jul-16-17 10:20 PM

6. "Your bullpen is sooooo fucking key in the playoffs"
In response to Reply # 5

We've seen plenty of series where the relievers decided who went to the WS and shit like that (speaking of the WFC Phils, their series against SF was like that).

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Mon Jul-17-17 11:51 AM

7. "i wish the astros had made this trade"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Jul-17-17 11:51 AM by rob

seems like we coulda gotten something done, and i'm terrified at what the other relievers are going to cost.

Walleye
Charter member
15522 posts
Mon Jul-17-17 12:15 PM

8. "Do you guys have a connection with the Oakland or Chicago FO?"
In response to Reply # 5

Seems like the Nats are really comfortable trading with Oakland and pretty comfortable trading with the White Sox. And in my AL Central-heavy attention span, it seems like the White Sox and Oakland are also pretty active.

Am I wrong about the frequency?

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Call It Anything
10951 posts
Mon Jul-17-17 02:52 PM

9. "It's kind of weird"
In response to Reply # 8

I figure that Rizzo and Beane are similar in that they are just fidgety guys who always feel better when they are doing something so they deal with each other. That was the 10th trade between the two teams since 2010. Some are major like the Gio Gonzalez trade but then there are a bunch that are of little consequence like Max Schrock for Marc Rzepczynski + Cash or Fernando Abad for John Wooten.

Nats beat writer Mark Zuckerman joked that this last trade came with a set of steak knives.

Walleye
Charter member
15522 posts
Mon Jul-17-17 03:19 PM

11. "Gio Gonzalez is patient zero for CHI/OAK/WAS trades"
In response to Reply # 9

Drafted by White Sox in 2004. Traded to Philly (for JI JIM THOME) for 2006 season. Traded back to Chicago almost exactly a year later. Traded to Oakland in 2008. Traded to Nats in 2011, in part for AJ Cole, who seems to be to the Nats what Gio Gonzalez was to Chicago - a guy they just had to acquire twice.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Mon Jul-17-17 10:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "better than nothing. still not great."
In response to Reply # 5

--------

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 03:59 PM

27. "And now you added Brandon Kintzler"
In response to Reply # 5

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Mon Jul-17-17 02:58 PM

10. "JD, JV, Miggy, Justin Wilson"
In response to Reply # 0

This could be a big deadline for the Tigers future.

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Nodima
15297 posts
Mon Jul-17-17 05:38 PM

12. "I think honor keeps JV and Miggy around."
In response to Reply # 10
Mon Jul-17-17 05:39 PM by Nodima

or maybe more accurately in the case of Miggy he's obviously slipping and should just stay at this point.

I think Wilson is the most likely piece to move.

~~~~~~~~~

Ceej
66746 posts
Mon Jul-17-17 06:42 PM

13. "I believe JD is our biggest asset "
In response to Reply # 12

Call It Anything
10951 posts
Mon Jul-17-17 07:30 PM

14. "I think $192 million keeps Cabrera around"
In response to Reply # 12
Mon Jul-17-17 07:33 PM by Call It Anything

Fuck A-Rod trying to be Tom Verducci. Dude is making $30 million+ for the next 6 years until he's 40. He's looking like 2012 Pujols right now. Tigers couldn't move that contract with a shovel.

I could see some movement for Verlander next year if he stays healthy and was packaged well with a good younger player.

Ceej
66746 posts
Tue Jul-18-17 06:25 AM

16. "Yea I don't think he gets moved "
In response to Reply # 14

But I'm not against it

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Tue Jul-18-17 06:04 PM

17. "and...JD's gone...to the Diamonbacks for prospects..."
In response to Reply # 10

https://twitter.com/tigers/status/887444262199189504

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Ceej
66746 posts
Wed Jul-19-17 06:42 AM

18. "What a bag of dicks we got "
In response to Reply # 17

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 11:04 PM

29. "the market for corner outfielders was pretty low"
In response to Reply # 18

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Wed Jul-19-17 07:19 AM

19. "Yanks get The Toddfather and 2 live power-arms..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/96772/self-proclaimed-winners-yankees-believe-theyre-better-for-the-white-sox-trade

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

bleekgilliam_420
Charter member
7357 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 02:52 PM

20. "how was this on the second page?"
In response to Reply # 0

anywho. yanks get gray for some really good (but injured) prospects. I'm really impressed by how, if everything pans out, Cashman has set this team up for the next 3-5 years. amazing turnout from so many old and bloated contracts on the team.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 02:56 PM

21. "bc its beisbol"
In response to Reply # 20

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Heinz
20759 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 03:14 PM

22. "Yeah u dont need to do firesales anymore"

If your scouting is good you can stil hold on to good vets that you can later get rid of when shit lines up. The Jays are looking at them as a template.

Fans here panicking in Toronto for no reason. You can still compete even in down seasons while still rebuilding. I think next year is a transition year but we can still compete with a healthier team, thats really been the biggest issues with our team, but thats baseball. I cant stand fickle fans.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 03:40 PM

24. "all of the deals i've been seeing look pretty good for the buyers"

gray deal frankly looks like almost a steal.

Heinz
20759 posts
Tue Aug-01-17 03:59 PM

31. "Why those are 2 top prospects that were just injured"
In response to Reply # 24

People get over injuries. Just like Gray will most likely be better than he has been this year. But no matter what they were both risks if you are gonna consider 1 team taking one you gotta consider both teams.

Heinz
20759 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 03:26 PM

23. "Darvish to the Dodgers"
In response to Reply # 0

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 03:50 PM

26. "Darvish....Watson...Cingrani....."
In response to Reply # 23

w/o trading Verduzco or Buehler..

nice

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Tue Aug-01-17 01:47 PM

30. "by Yu, i love you"
In response to Reply # 23

we'll miss you

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 03:44 PM

25. "i hope the astros get another reliever besides liriano"
In response to Reply # 0

but i'm not unhappy about trading away our 4th OF and maybe our 4th best OF prospect to clear a path for fisher and maybe even kemp.

40 still looks clogged this offseason.

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 10:39 PM

28. "the stros are fine. cruise control..."
In response to Reply # 25

once keuch gets back into that groove...sonny gray nor the yankees scare me...we own them...

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

Nodima
15297 posts
Wed Aug-02-17 02:27 PM

32. "lol Nunez is cooking so hard for BoSox right now"
In response to Reply # 0

.500/.955/1.496 slash line with 4 doubles, 2 homers and 9 RBIs through five games. Plus Devers with the .429/.714/1.214 and a 4/4 game the other night. Boston's new bats looking real comfortable at Fenway.

~~~~~~~~~

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2617582 Previous topic | Next topic