Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2617205

Subject: "Yeah...every GM after Isiah was worse for the Knicks" Previous topic | Next topic
Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Sun Jul-09-17 07:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Yeah...every GM after Isiah was worse for the Knicks"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR71zrXRTmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH5oUHUxqcs&t=293s

Phil really outdid himself.

And I don't expect Knick fans or media to talk about it. But, this is a fuckin debacle.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
In phil's defense...
Jul 09th 2017
Hard to argue that.
Jul 09th 2017
he should have taken smith. absolute layup.
Jul 09th 2017
Houston's deal wasnt even that bad
Jul 09th 2017
Houston?
Jul 10th 2017
sure, except the Curry trade also cost them #2 pick in 2006 & #9 in 2007
Jul 10th 2017
      Yeah as bad as phil was, he left us with zingis,draft picks and cap spac...
Jul 10th 2017
could Dolan's idiocy also be classified as admirable loyalty?
Jul 09th 2017
That s been one of dolan faults for the longest time
Jul 10th 2017
I'd love to know
Jul 10th 2017
Agreed wholeheartedly!
Jul 10th 2017
started with Scott Layden imo
Jul 10th 2017
Among the front office folks somewhat recently hired
Jul 10th 2017
Water is wet, yet I enjoy seeing hyped Knickas suffer so I'm here for it...
Jul 10th 2017
I mean it's a low bar but I think point I think we can stop blaming GMs
Jul 10th 2017
I think alot of it comes down to control....doLan gonna hold on
Jul 10th 2017
      yeah but some reasons are shared, others aren't
Jul 11th 2017
           And the name dolan acquired was feel
Jul 11th 2017
We been talked about it. Go jinx Cleveland or Chicago, yo.
Jul 10th 2017
^^^^^this your problem right here. everything a "jinx"
Jul 11th 2017
Are they really?
Jul 11th 2017
yes. knicks twitter is.
Jul 11th 2017
      Ok have to take your word for it
Jul 11th 2017
lol
Jul 11th 2017
A defense of the Hardaway deal:
Jul 11th 2017
      Seeeggggaaaaaa
Jul 11th 2017
      What the fuck is there to spin?
Jul 11th 2017
           Rebuilding trust with who?
Jul 11th 2017
      Ray Clay voice: Seaaaaaaan, Spiiiiiiiiiiicerrrrrrrrr!
Jul 11th 2017
Cleveland has a built-in jinx: Dan Gilbert
Jul 11th 2017

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59176 posts
Sun Jul-09-17 09:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "In phil's defense..."
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Sun Jul-09-17 09:53 PM

2. "Hard to argue that. "
In response to Reply # 0

Melo, Amare, and Noah's contracts have hampered them worse than Curry, Houston, etc ever did.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Basaglia
49463 posts
Sun Jul-09-17 09:54 PM

3. "he should have taken smith. absolute layup. "
In response to Reply # 2

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Sun Jul-09-17 10:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Houston's deal wasnt even that bad"
In response to Reply # 2

he was a little overpaid, but he earned that deal for the most part

the disaster after he signed it was just shit ass luck

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Cenario
59176 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 06:11 AM

6. "Houston?"
In response to Reply # 2

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 04:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "sure, except the Curry trade also cost them #2 pick in 2006 & #9 in 2007"
In response to Reply # 2

which became Lamarcus and Noah, among other disasters.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Cenario
59176 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 08:22 PM

14. "Yeah as bad as phil was, he left us with zingis,draft picks and cap spac..."
In response to Reply # 13
Mon Jul-10-17 08:23 PM by Cenario

But he was terrible and I'm glad he's gone.

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43352 posts
Sun Jul-09-17 09:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "could Dolan's idiocy also be classified as admirable loyalty?"
In response to Reply # 0

Word is griffin didnt take the job cause they wouldn't let him fire Houston and mills. Dolan still loves him some zeke, and seek would still be a knock if it wasn't for the meddling media

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Cenario
59176 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 06:12 AM

7. "That s been one of dolan faults for the longest time"
In response to Reply # 4

Numba_33
Charter member
19328 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 02:47 PM

10. "I'd love to know"
In response to Reply # 4

if it was strictly up to Mills to make things hard for Griffin or if Dolan gave him orders to keep things pretty much the same in terms of personnel.

Either way, I don't see a big name front office person wanting to take that job since they'd be handcuffed by the current regime, in addition to how dismal to present looks for the team.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 08:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Agreed wholeheartedly!"
In response to Reply # 0

jrocc
Charter member
6504 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 11:52 AM

9. "started with Scott Layden imo"
In response to Reply # 0

he was right before Isaiah and was the absolute worst. they used to call him Bin Layden he was so bad.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/laydesc99x.html

Numba_33
Charter member
19328 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 02:50 PM

11. "Among the front office folks somewhat recently hired"
In response to Reply # 0

Phil had the closest to a clean slate to start out with, correct? Or did he come to the Knicks around the time of that terrible Bargarni trade? That's in addition to the fact Dolan completely steered clear of Phil outside of when he wanted to boot Porzingis out of NYC.

And no, I don't care enough about the dude to look up the correct spelling of his name.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

mtbatol
Member since May 22nd 2002
19788 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 03:20 PM

12. "Water is wet, yet I enjoy seeing hyped Knickas suffer so I'm here for it..."
In response to Reply # 0

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 09:22 PM

15. "I mean it's a low bar but I think point I think we can stop blaming GMs"
In response to Reply # 0

Everyone who has held control there since Grunfeld (who is no prize but Jesus, by comparison, sure) has been awful. Not only GMs but also Larry Brown, who had considerable control when he was coaching. Thomas was an OK GM in his other two stints, obviously Brown and Jackson were successful in other places/roles, etc. Just a sick culture there, really hard to think of many that match it in pro sports. I guess the Redskins come to mind.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Cenario
59176 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 10:24 PM

17. "I think alot of it comes down to control....doLan gonna hold on"
In response to Reply # 15

To what he gonna hold on to, and alot of these other dudes think they gonna get what they want, and they dont.

And Phil's success in other places is irrelevant.

Dolan is awful, and alot of these dudes been awful while they were here bc of their own poor decisions

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 09:53 AM

21. "yeah but some reasons are shared, others aren't"
In response to Reply # 17

the common thread is being pressed, throwing money at the problem and acquiring names rather than talent.

Cenario
59176 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 01:03 PM

30. "And the name dolan acquired was feel"
In response to Reply # 21

And he was terrible at his job.

Not sure what we disagreeing about?

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 10:19 PM

16. "We been talked about it. Go jinx Cleveland or Chicago, yo."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 08:22 AM

18. "^^^^^this your problem right here. everything a "jinx""
In response to Reply # 16

meanwhile, knick fans been defending the hardaway deal like it's defensible.

Cenario
59176 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 09:07 AM

19. "Are they really?"
In response to Reply # 18

Basaglia
49463 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 09:50 AM

20. "yes. knicks twitter is. "
In response to Reply # 19

Cenario
59176 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 11:04 AM

24. "Ok have to take your word for it"
In response to Reply # 20

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 09:55 AM

22. "lol"

yeah my buddy is an old-time knicks fan and he asked what i thought of the deal. i kind of gave a pregnant pause and he was like "yeah, fuck, i know."

good for hardaway though, that's that generational wealth.

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 10:57 AM

23. "A defense of the Hardaway deal:"

1. Youngster comes into the league, 2nd generation...Pops is a legit HOFer but the brand has been tarnished because Pops is whitelisted.

2. Youngster ends up in the biggest market with the supposed GOAT running the organization and his handpicked guy running the team.

3. Youngster performs ooookay at best in a chaotic situation,little or no development of his game/mentoring forthcoming because his coach is fucking his girlfriend.

4. Young dude leaves town, goes to another city, game develops a bit, but more importantly for him, he is away from that toxic situation.

5. Toxic coach and fake GOAT both gone...organization re-signs Youngster....

Now all that said, Tim Hardaway is no savior....I am not going to sit here and give some hamfisted "look at his Per48!!!" bullshit. I am also not going to sit and say 'They had to do it'. They didn't have to do shit- they probably could luck up on someone from the development league or the summer league who could jack up shots and be a bamma. But dude got fucked over by his coach in NY and they brought him back for a fresh start.

What this move does is establish the beginnings of some professionalism from the front office that has had none since PJax decided he wanted to go back to Idaho of wherever the fuck he fishes. And professionalism means having some kind of fucking integrity about the environment you create for your players. This is a signal to Melo, Yung Kris and whomever else that has been stuck in this shit, that they are not going to treat them like Oakley got treated in MSG. It gives Hornacek, a legit coach, a chance to have a chance in his locker room.

Hardaway could end up being a Lance Thomas...or he could end up being a Spree. Who knows, but he plays like he cares about winning (which admittedly is not the same as knowing how...).

------------------
One Hundred.

Cenario
59176 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 11:08 AM

25. "Seeeggggaaaaaa"
In response to Reply # 23

Bc i haven't seen good spin like this since Sonic the Hedgehog

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 11:55 AM

27. "What the fuck is there to spin? "
In response to Reply # 25

From a finances, "GM" type perspective, its dumb. From a locker room perspective, its a start at rebuilding some trust.

Its not putting anyone in the seats. Its not going to get us in the playoffs. Where the fuck is the spin? To me it reads like someone (probably Mills) understands that money really don't matter for Dolan, so he isn't going to raise an eyebrow at a deal no other team would make...so he did it so he could have a legitimate conversation with Porzingis, who the Knicks actually want to build around, and with Melo, who the Knicks want to trade so they can start putting some pieces together.

There is no spin in that yo. Stop watching Fox.

------------------
One Hundred.

Cenario
59176 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 12:49 PM

29. "Rebuilding trust with who?"
In response to Reply # 27

Only person on the team when fish was allegedly messing with THJ girl is Melo, which they want to trade anyway.

I think zingis would be more impressed with the Knicks spending their money wisely or having an actual plan that might lead to wins

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 11:55 AM

26. "Ray Clay voice: Seaaaaaaan, Spiiiiiiiiiiicerrrrrrrrr!"
In response to Reply # 23

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 12:42 PM

28. "Cleveland has a built-in jinx: Dan Gilbert"
In response to Reply # 16

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2617205 Previous topic | Next topic