Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2611860

Subject: "White Priviledge: NFL Example (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 11:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"White Priviledge: NFL Example (swipe)"

Brett Favre didn’t know what nickel defense was, as an NFL starting quarterback

Posted by Mike Florio on June 7, 2017, 11:54 AM EDT

Most football fans believe star players know significantly more about the game than they do. Sometimes, they don’t.

Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre, in his third NFL season and second as the Green Bay starter, didn’t know some of the most fundamental aspects of defensive alignments in football.

“I would always sit in these meetings,” Favre said in a video from a speaking engagement recently posted on Twitter by Zach Dunn. “If you don’t know what’s going on, the trick is to act like you do. And I’m the starting quarterback, and Holmgren would be up there and he’d say, ‘All right, look guys,’ he’s writing nickel defenses in, ‘We’re gonna do this, we’re gonna attack this.’ I’d always be sitting there going, ‘I hear this ‘nickel defense’ all the time but I’m not real sure what it is.’ Then he’d throw me for a loop and he’d say, ‘Long yardage situation, dime comes in.’ Dime, what the hell is dime? They would say, ‘Over under front’ and, ‘You got this, 3-4.’ I was afraid to ask, I’m the starter. Ty Detmer was over there.

“After about our second year, finally I said, I just got to know, ‘Ty, I got to ask you a question.’ Ty was about as goofy as I was. He says, ‘What’s that?’ I say, ‘What’s the nickel defense?’ He’s just real quiet, he says, ‘You serious?’ I said, ‘Yeah, I’m serious.’ He says, ‘Well, they basically take out a linebacker and bring in a DB.’

“I said, ‘That’s it?’ He said, ‘That’s it.’ I said, ‘Who gives a sh-t?'”

And that’s part of what made Favre such a unique personality in the NFL, with supreme talent overcoming his lack of concern about details. It’s hard not to wonder how he’d make it in today’s NFL, where quarterbacks make a full and complete commitment to their craft, relishing practice as much as they relish playing.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
"who gives a shit" lmaoooooooo that boy wild.
Jun 07th 2017
i literally LOL'd
Jun 07th 2017
lulz!
Jun 07th 2017
no wonder he threw so many funballs.
Jun 07th 2017
haha.. i feel him tho
Jun 07th 2017
reminds of that Deion Sanders anecdote of him falling asleep in meetings
Jun 07th 2017
Yeah they laugh at Farve but trash Vick for not watching film
Jun 07th 2017

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 11:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. ""who gives a shit" lmaoooooooo that boy wild."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4551 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 11:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "i literally LOL'd"
In response to Reply # 1

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 01:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "lulz!"
In response to Reply # 1

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 11:36 AM

2. "no wonder he threw so many funballs."
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79621 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 12:01 PM

4. "haha.. i feel him tho"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

will_5198
Charter member
63111 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 04:35 PM

6. "reminds of that Deion Sanders anecdote of him falling asleep in meetings"
In response to Reply # 0

"I still remember Deion's first team meeting," says Clayton Holmes, the veteran Dallas cornerback. "We were so fundamental about film. The way we studied it was critical. Well, Deion comes in, puts his feet up on a table and doesn't even watch."

When Dave Campo, the Cowboys new defensive coordinator, asked the $35 million man to break down a play, Sanders let out a sly laugh. "Hey, Coach," he said, pointing toward the screen, "I got that dude right there. Wherever he goes I go. All that Cover Two stuff you're talking about -- y'all work that out."

--------

icecold21
Member since Jan 18th 2008
8433 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 05:18 PM

7. "Yeah they laugh at Farve but trash Vick for not watching film"
In response to Reply # 0

shit like that

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2611860 Previous topic | Next topic