Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2596755

Subject: "2017 Boston Celtics post" Previous topic | Next topic
SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed Feb-22-17 03:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"2017 Boston Celtics post"
Wed Feb-22-17 03:55 PM by SoulHonky

Couldn't find a season post so let's have at it.

Obviously, the big question at the trade deadline is how much are you willing to give up for Paul George or Jimmy Butler and who would you prefer? Or do you wait and hope Brad and Danny can recruit Gordon Hayward or Blake Griffin. (The former seems more likely than the latter but neither is probably most likely.)

And who else are you going after if we deplete our rotation a little by landing either of those guys.

Or is this year going to be an extension of this: https://twitter.com/HighHeatStats/status/833873793709903873

Beyond that, a place to keep tabs on the C's race to the playoffs, the growth of Jaylen Brown, etc.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
And so begins the media campaign re: the pick
Feb 22nd 2017
Big Picture:
Feb 23rd 2017
posed this in deadline thread but feel like there could be a pathway to ...
Feb 23rd 2017
completely agree
Feb 23rd 2017
I'm nervous about age and fit but yeah.
Feb 23rd 2017
Might as well stay put...
Feb 23rd 2017
Jae Crowder
Feb 23rd 2017
Absolutely. At the same time, if you can get Paul George
Feb 23rd 2017
Add Zizic to the borderline untouchable list.
Feb 23rd 2017
All Clear! No moves.
Feb 23rd 2017
Ok...my question about the C's is this:
Feb 24th 2017
RE: Ok...my question about the C's is this:
Feb 24th 2017
not worth giving up all 3 yeoman imo
Feb 24th 2017
two reasons:
Feb 24th 2017
Those deals wouldn't work.
Feb 24th 2017
So do we draft 1of these all-world guards, what to do w/ our own?
Feb 26th 2017
what about avery, and rozier?
Feb 26th 2017
Exactly. What about all of them. And I cosign your points about Ball.
Feb 26th 2017
Fultz/Ball better than all but IT; AB/IT/Smart FA after next year
Feb 26th 2017
Bummer. T Jones wants minutes; not coming to Boston
Feb 27th 2017

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Wed Feb-22-17 11:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "And so begins the media campaign re: the pick"
In response to Reply # 0

Ainge and Co. are always great at this. Always get ahead of the story.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2017/02/bulpett_it_appears_celtics_boss_danny_ainge_will_hold_onto_his_future_assets

First off, Ainge is outdoing himself when it comes to lowballing: "One agent with ties to a potential deal insists that even preliminary talk between the Bulls and Celtics recently went nowhere when the C’s did not want to include this summer’s Nets choice."
Not sure how he thought that deal was going to go down, especially if he ALSO didn't want to give up Jae.

Meanwhile, Bulpett also talks up the #1 pick in a nice move that gets the fan base excited about the potential pick and ease the disappointment of no big splash.

"All of this could mean Ainge is posturing to drive a better bargain, or that he really does want to get a shot at some of the potentially transformative players at the top of the coming draft. Washington freshman Markelle Fultz may be the prize."

Now I'm just hoping the C's might at least try to make a small trade to bolster their defense/rebounding - maybe see if John Henson could be had for cheap.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

realityrap
Member since Sep 21st 2005
8405 posts
Thu Feb-23-17 05:52 AM

2. "Big Picture:"
In response to Reply # 0

Staying put and keeping the picks aren't a bad move at all.

With that said, with Love out and Cleveland quietly scrambling for finishing pieces.. adding a PG or Butler to the roster might could put us in upset mode. I'd love to see a premature finals trip.

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Thu Feb-23-17 09:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "posed this in deadline thread but feel like there could be a pathway to ..."
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Feb-23-17 09:13 AM by ShawndmeSlanted

add both

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Thu Feb-23-17 10:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "completely agree"
In response to Reply # 2

and i felt the same last year when they didn't make a big splash. i'm all for using draft picks as trade pieces cause they're an unknown value, i also don't want them to make a move just for the sake of making a move. luckily ainge thinks about the long game, but on the other hand he does low-ball on trade offers.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Feb-23-17 11:23 AM

7. "I'm nervous about age and fit but yeah."
In response to Reply # 2

Isaiah is 28. Horford is 30. Feels like we need to win now if we're going to win with them.

Also, we're guard heavy and this is a PG-centric draft. And, honestly, if we have the usual Celtics lotto luck and end up with #3, I'm not sure I trust Danny to make the right call there.

That being said, the C's payroll is NOTHING. We could have 40 million dollars to spend next season. It's not completely out of the question that with no trades the C's next season could have:

Horford/Bogut/Olynyk/Zizic
Millsap/Mickey/Yabusele
Hayward/Jae/Brown
Bradley/Smart
Isaiah/Fultz/Rozier

----

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Thu Feb-23-17 12:53 PM

8. "Might as well stay put..."
In response to Reply # 2

because I rather keep a top 3 pick...

This draft is deep as well...

realityrap
Member since Sep 21st 2005
8405 posts
Thu Feb-23-17 06:15 AM

3. "Jae Crowder"
In response to Reply # 0

Crowder averages 14 a game flirting with 50/40/90 and making less than the mle signed through 2020. He is an absolute steal of an entity. Danny knows what he has. I would be trying to hold on to him too.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Feb-23-17 11:08 AM

6. "Absolutely. At the same time, if you can get Paul George"
In response to Reply # 3

I'm not sure you turn it down because Jae is such a bargain. Jimmy makes me a little nervous; I don't think turning down Jae and the Nets pick is a bad call at all. I'm a big fan of PG13 and even with the contract issue, I still think he's worth trading in our significant chips to get.

I'd love Nerlens but even getting Bogut as well would make me happy.

Bogut
Horford
George
Bradley/Smart
Isaiah

That's a title contender IMO.

----

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Feb-23-17 12:58 PM

9. "Add Zizic to the borderline untouchable list."
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/SteveBHoop/status/834823229810343936

Apparently, he's had a great season in Europe and boosted his stock. Rumor is that there have been calls about him but he's only on the table if a star is coming back. Glad to hear he's doing well (not wild about the reports on Yabusele) but I feel like we hear this all the time about Euro bigs so it's hard to gauge the value of the report.

----

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Feb-23-17 03:18 PM

10. "All Clear! No moves."
In response to Reply # 0

Would have loved Nerlens, especially for the crap that Philly got for him.

Was kind of hoping for a small move but maybe we can sign Bogut.

But cap space and Ainge's valuations vs. The Rest of the World's seems to have won the day. Can't say I'm upset since I've talked myself into Hayward/Millsap '17 and we could always trade the pick on draft day. George and Butler stayed home so it's not like we won't have another crack at them.

Pels also waiving Terrence Jones. We're probably not his best option but I'd love to see if he's interested.

----

auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 09:47 AM

11. "Ok...my question about the C's is this:"
In response to Reply # 0

Why couldn't they go after both butler and george?

They have the assets to get it done.

To Bulls: Smart, Crowder, Nets 2017 first for Jimmy
To Pacers: Bradley, Brown, Nets 2018 first for George

If both don't bite, throw in another 1st rounder (Memphis' 2019 and Boston's own 2018).

When the smoke clears:
IT3 (Age 28)
George (26)
Butler (27)
Horford (30)
Olynyk (26)
Amir (29)
James Young (21)
Rozier (22)
Mickey (22)
Green (31)
Zeller (27)

You still have Zizic (age 20) and Yabusele (age 21) coming in next year, three 2017 second rounders which can be part of a trade this summer, a few later years 2nds (Miami and Detroit) and the clippers 2019 1st which is looking like it could very well be a lotto pick.

This team competes for a title THIS year (that starting 5 would be bananas) and then Zizic and Yabusele come in to help carry it on for the next 3-5 years with the potential to net another lotto pick with the clippers possible rebuild/fade. Amir can eventually be replaced by Yabusele and when Horford starts fading Zizic can step in. And all of these players are young enough to push for a title for 3-5 years if not more.

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 10:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "RE: Ok...my question about the C's is this:"
In response to Reply # 11

yep i said the same thing in post 4 with less detail

Seems to me that should be the play

---

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35258 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 10:46 AM

13. "not worth giving up all 3 yeoman imo"

any package of deals that includes Smart, Bradley, AND Crowder ensures that team doesn't win anything imo

cant play Butler, PG, and IT 44 minutes a game every night and Young/Rozier/Mickey offer them nothing of substance right today.

the move was any 3 of Brown/Young/Nets1/Nets2 for one of them because Smart, Bradley, and Crowder are the bulldogs. Teams dont give up their bulldogs and then go win something.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

thejerseytornado
Member since Dec 24th 2005
26425 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 11:46 AM

14. "two reasons:"

1. That only works if both the bulls and the pacers agree. Not sure the Cs had that in the bag. One of those moves without the other isn't as clear cut as both at once. Plus, the cap crunch would be *real* in the short term future, i believe.

2. Integrating two superstars who both want the ball in their hands (along with IT3 who also wants the ball in his hands) in February is not gonna win this year. So why do that now when you'll have arguably more leverage in the offseason and/or could just go out and sign Hayward or shock the world and go for Blake (leaks they wanted him make me think that's a goal)? Or try to get the rim protector they really need more than the swingman they would like but don't absolutely, desperately need?

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 12:02 PM

15. "Those deals wouldn't work."
Fri Feb-24-17 12:03 PM by SoulHonky

For starters, the salaries don't match so you'd have to throw other people in. At minimum, it's Zeller into the Bulls deal and Jerebko into the Pacers deal. Not the end of the world.

The bigger issue is I don't think the Pacers go for Bradley, Brown, Nets 2018 (and filler). And the C's remaining assets aren't likely to tip the scales since it would be throwing a few more nickels and dimes to get a dollar. Both teams would likely fight for the 2017 pick which is more of a given. Both teams might prefer Smart over AB since they'd be rebuilding almost from scratch and while AB is only 26, he's got 6 years of the NBA on his body and it hasn't exactly held up (He's still not ready to play right now.)

And with neither team necessarily needing and not completely wanting to trade their stars, I wouldn't be surprised if both negotiations would have had them wanting just one more piece to make them feel more comfortable with dealing their star.

Finally, there's the issue that the C's have cap space this offseason and could add a couple of very good players without having to give up anything. Also, if you make moves in the offseason, it would probably be easier to negotiate an extension with George to make trading for him less of a risk.

----

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 12:49 PM

16. "So do we draft 1of these all-world guards, what to do w/ our own?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Feb-26-17 12:57 PM by Jon

Ball and Fultz look insanely good, I'm especially impressed with Ball (when building for a long future, I tend to prefer the guy whose greatness is more likely to survive a knee injury or something)

But we already have a truck full of talented guards on the team and didn't bother trading any for a big such as our fantastic rebounding defensive hometown hero Nerlens

So do we just go ahead and get a Jonathan Isaac type even if we get the top pick?

Say we draft Ball...Do we bench Smart and move IT to shooting guard?

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 01:14 PM

17. "what about avery, and rozier?"
In response to Reply # 16

>Ball and Fultz look insanely good, I'm especially impressed
>with Ball (when building for a long future, I tend to prefer
>the guy whose greatness is more likely to survive a knee
>injury or something)
>
>But we already have a truck full of talented guards on the
>team and didn't bother trading any for a big such as our
>fantastic rebounding defensive hometown hero Nerlens
>
>So do we just go ahead and get a Jonathan Isaac type even if
>we get the top pick?
>
>Say we draft Ball...Do we bench Smart and move IT to shooting
>guard?

I do think Ball is the better fit. Just cause he can come in and he will play within the system and he doesnt need his own shots to make plays.

---

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 02:09 PM

18. "Exactly. What about all of them. And I cosign your points about Ball."
In response to Reply # 17

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 03:02 PM

19. "Fultz/Ball better than all but IT; AB/IT/Smart FA after next year"
In response to Reply # 16
Sun Feb-26-17 03:03 PM by SoulHonky

First, I think it's a no-brainer that you don't pass on Fultz or Ball because of AB, Smart, and Rozier.

Second, after next season, Isaiah, Avery, and Marcus all hit the market (Marcus is an RFA.) IT is a max guy while AB and Smart could get near max offers. I'd be surprised if AB and Smart were both Celtics at the start of next season given the money they're going to make in a year and the fact that Ainge and Co. seem to believe that Rozier is ready to take over one of those spots.

The C's are already thriving with two undersized guards so I don't see Fultz or especially Ball being an issue. Ball might be more of a shooting guard than any of the guys in our rotation. Isaiah is also 28 years old so I could see Fultz or Ball understudying for a couple of years and then taking the reins or IT being dealt.

If the pick drops to #3, I wouldn't be stunned if Ainge reached for Lauri Markannen but I hope not. But, more likely, if Fultz and Ball are off the table, we'll be trading the pick for a veteran.

----

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 01:35 PM

20. "Bummer. T Jones wants minutes; not coming to Boston"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/02/27/why-free-agent-terrence-jones-unlikely-sign-with-celtics/z3KHUcLHo2rzRI8amU6IiP/story.html

----

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2596755 Previous topic | Next topic