Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2592724

Subject: "So how's the Bruce Arena era going so far?" Previous topic | Next topic
theeraser
Member since Feb 11th 2007
7218 posts
Mon Jan-30-17 11:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"So how's the Bruce Arena era going so far?"

Has he Made the US National Team Great Again yet?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Who played?
Jan 30th 2017
Why wouldn't they play?
Jan 30th 2017
So the evaluation period lasts one match now?
Jan 30th 2017
Of course not. (1) I think he's xenophobic and I don't like him.
Jan 30th 2017
there was a game yesterday?
Jan 30th 2017
yeah, not any better than klinsmann
Sep 01st 2017
fuck outta here, Nagbe's starting -- this already way better
Sep 01st 2017
Cameron and Ream were utter shit tonight
Sep 01st 2017
We just arent that good.
Sep 02nd 2017
Eggzacklee (c) Magic Johnson
Sep 02nd 2017
American suburban soccer culture is the reason
Sep 05th 2017
you hit on it, there are a few factors inside those factors
Oct 11th 2017
basically
Sep 05th 2017
Eh. Klinsy was supposed to be about the youth system
Sep 02nd 2017
need to stop fuckin w/ Bobby Wood and play Jordan Morris.
Sep 05th 2017
and bobby wood scores, haha.
Sep 05th 2017
      from a nice physical header flicked on by Jordan
Sep 05th 2017
I'll be honest, I have no idea what the tactical plan is v. HON
Sep 05th 2017
How's this going, guys? Will he get us past the 2nd round?
Oct 11th 2017
lulz
Oct 11th 2017
RE: How's this going, guys? Will he get us past the 2nd round?
Oct 11th 2017
I accept my L.
Oct 11th 2017
He's not fired yet?
Oct 11th 2017
Bruce completely shit the bed v. Costa Rica + T+T, no doubt
Oct 11th 2017
this is what scares me
Oct 11th 2017
That wasn't even T&T's B team.
Oct 11th 2017
first time 25 meetings that TNT took a 2 goal lead over the US
Oct 11th 2017
it's funny because trinidad media is pissed about the game too
Oct 11th 2017
You lower the bar, they keep ducking. Abandon soccer, take up limbo
Oct 11th 2017
      RE: You lower the bar, they keep ducking. Abandon soccer, take up limbo
Oct 13th 2017
Everything, from Gulati down (but especially him) has to go
Oct 11th 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7lGGhHZSZs
Oct 11th 2017
grand opening, grand closing...
Oct 13th 2017
When does Senile Sunil resign?
Oct 13th 2017
Not how I thought this would play out.
Oct 13th 2017
      I mean, he still gets his contract money
Oct 13th 2017
Pay-to-play in US junior soccer a major issue? (link)
Oct 14th 2017
What, we want a commie system where talent is found and nurtured?
Oct 14th 2017

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Mon Jan-30-17 11:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Who played? "
In response to Reply # 0

Better question, why did they play this game?

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Mon Jan-30-17 11:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Why wouldn't they play?"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon Jan-30-17 12:03 PM by Sleepy

The annual US National Team winter camp is set up because MLS is about to start preseason, and they can put together a squad of domestic based players to take a look at.

It used to be primarily a B-team playing other international B-teams, but now the overwhelming chunk of our international roster plays in MLS. They use the time to take a look at fringe players to see who may need a call up in the future.

Because these are official FIFA international dates, teams don't have to release their players. That generally means that they end up playing countries that are still out for winter break, or that have domestic leagues still in offseason.

Oh, it was a relatively strong lineup for the USA. Jozy, Sasha, MB, Nagbe, Garza, J. Jones, Bedoya all started. Nagbe got his first start ever. Nick Romando was in goal. Zusi started at right back too. Looks like he is getting ready to be converted to defense by Arena.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16151 posts
Mon Jan-30-17 12:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "So the evaluation period lasts one match now?"
In response to Reply # 0

Damn. I guess fire him, then.

theeraser
7218 posts
Mon Jan-30-17 12:53 PM

5. "Of course not. (1) I think he's xenophobic and I don't like him."
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Jan-30-17 12:54 PM by theeraser

(2) I'm genuinely curious, despite not being a fan of the US team, as to how the squad does, what changes he makes, etc.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Mon Jan-30-17 12:19 PM

4. "there was a game yesterday?"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

dillinjah
Charter member
9009 posts
Fri Sep-01-17 07:40 PM

6. "yeah, not any better than klinsmann"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-01-17 07:52 PM by dillinjah

we're gonna fuck around and end up in that playoff with Asia for a WC slot, aren't we?

that was a terrible L vs costa rica just now

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Fri Sep-01-17 09:28 PM

7. "fuck outta here, Nagbe's starting -- this already way better"
In response to Reply # 6

HOPE!
https://vine.co/v/i7JjIBL3Qix
https://vine.co/v/i7JtqEFwxDu

celery77
25307 posts
Fri Sep-01-17 09:30 PM

8. "Cameron and Ream were utter shit tonight"
In response to Reply # 0

if they don't make two howlers of mistakes (ye ol' Timmy kinda included in this group) Costa Rica is still lucky to draw. d

unno about the attack, though, pushing the wingers up to the top of the line instead of playing possession and actually breaking down Costa Rica to enter the final third was a little weird, too. Pulisic just didn't have it for some reason and Bobby Wood was spraying hospital balls every chance he got. So yeah, shit performance, but without two huge mistakes in the back Costa Rica generated extremely little.

HOPE!

BrooklynWHAT
84997 posts
Sat Sep-02-17 12:52 AM

9. "We just arent that good. "
In response to Reply # 0

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sat Sep-02-17 05:35 PM

11. "Eggzacklee (c) Magic Johnson"
In response to Reply # 9

I am just a casual observer but the U.S. team seems like athletes and not soccer players. The culture is still pretty weak here, people deny that up and down but the proof is in the pudding.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Tue Sep-05-17 10:29 AM

12. "American suburban soccer culture is the reason"
In response to Reply # 9

In every other country in the world, soccer is the people's game
the streets, the hood, the barrios, the struggle
Here we got soccer moms packing lunches, summer camps that cost an arm and a leg, and quiet as a mouse MLS matches

I'm not saying go full South American or Euro hooligan
but I see USMNT not playing with any passion, any fire, just going through the motions
they almost look like men without a country (c)
then I watch Chile and Colombia and they play like their lives depend on it (well in Colombia's case...)

I mean, even Brazil got touched when they started going through the motions and/or not showing up thinking they had already won

The world: "Some people think football is a matter of life and death.
I can assure them it is much more serious than that" (c)

America: good game, good effort (c)

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 01:58 AM

19. "you hit on it, there are a few factors inside those factors"
In response to Reply # 12

One is the obvious that soccer is a second-banana sport in the U.S. and even Canada. They lose kids who excel in other sports.

They also lose considerable participation after age 12. A lot of kids play to hide (not as obvious as striking out or shooting an airball) just to satisfy whatever "I play a sport" thing. Then they drop sports and that includes soccer.

There isn't a priority among our top athletes, there isn't a passionate culture surrounding the sport and, as you said, the culture we do have around it is not the same sort of serious one we have around even niche sports, let alone mainstream ones.

will_5198
Charter member
63072 posts
Tue Sep-05-17 08:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "basically"
In response to Reply # 9

*soccer peanut gallery here*

the recent narrative is weird, as if there is a much better team lurking behind these performances. doesn't seem like it.

--------

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sat Sep-02-17 04:45 PM

10. "Eh. Klinsy was supposed to be about the youth system "
In response to Reply # 0

If we haven't developed better players than this, he's got no small part of the blame.

That said, if arenas is the answer you're asking the wrong questions

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

PROMO
Charter member
30822 posts
Tue Sep-05-17 12:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "need to stop fuckin w/ Bobby Wood and play Jordan Morris."
In response to Reply # 0

Morris is such a try hard bamma that he'll score some ugly ass goals, but those are the goals that get you draws and 2-1 wins in the dying moments.

PROMO
Charter member
30822 posts
Tue Sep-05-17 06:24 PM

15. "and bobby wood scores, haha."
In response to Reply # 13

celery77
25307 posts
Tue Sep-05-17 06:34 PM

16. "from a nice physical header flicked on by Jordan"
In response to Reply # 15

I don't trust Jordan in the center channels right now. I watched him hose his chances in that game against Portland last weekend same as you. But I have no problem with using his physicality and work rate on the wing. I was perfectly happy to see him starting. Imagine if Jordan was challenging for the header that led to the first Costa Rica goal instead of Fabian Johnson...

HOPE!

celery77
25307 posts
Tue Sep-05-17 05:31 PM

14. "I'll be honest, I have no idea what the tactical plan is v. HON"
In response to Reply # 0

seems like a completely rudimentary 4-4-2 that just wants to get overlaps on the wing, which isn't that different from the mess Bruce trotted out against Costa Rica.

In reply, Honduras just puts two burners on the wing (Quioto + Elis) to run at our trash FBs (Zusi + Beas, really?) and 1-0 for Honduras at half is completely fair.

Look, over half of MLS is running a 4-2-3-1 at this point and there's even a few that have assembled the personnel for the in vogue 3-5-2. The few relics that were still trotting out straight line 4-4-2s are sitting in the basement and used the summer to replace their coach. I have faith in Bruce on the man management side, but this is really rudimentary shit for talent that is ready to play a bit more sophisticated than this.

HOPE!

theeraser
7218 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 01:17 AM

18. "How's this going, guys? Will he get us past the 2nd round?"
In response to Reply # 0

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 02:00 AM

20. "lulz"
In response to Reply # 18

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 09:28 AM

25. "RE: How's this going, guys? Will he get us past the 2nd round?"
In response to Reply # 18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

------------------
One Hundred.

Buck
16151 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 06:58 AM

21. "I accept my L."
In response to Reply # 0

j.
3819 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 08:53 AM

22. "He's not fired yet?"
In response to Reply # 0

He hasn't resigned? FOH now. Today.

celery77
25307 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 09:04 AM

23. "Bruce completely shit the bed v. Costa Rica + T+T, no doubt"
In response to Reply # 0

the Trinidad + Tobago one was sooo egregious. they're playing on a swampy high school field and he trouts out a wide diamond with possession oriented players across the field? if ever there was a game screaming out for a more conservative 4-2-3-1 (Bradley was on a lonely, swampy island just leaving oceans of space in front of two slow central CBs) where the plan was to get forward, knock it down, then pump it into the box this was it. why the fuck couldn't we use an aerial advantage on set pieces? that was always one of our strengths.

same story against Costa Rica -- waaaaay over-stretched with no effective midfield links against a team you knew was going to bunker and run. so, so dumb.

talking with friends last night I have no clue who the next guy is -- if you look domestically, the least tarnished resume is probably Greg Vanney right now, but I am in no way, shape, or form ready for a coach that green. and if I hear anyone link Caleb Porter to that job, I swear I might hit them.

HOPE!

BrooklynWHAT
84997 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 09:13 AM

24. "this is what scares me"
In response to Reply # 23

>
>talking with friends last night I have no clue who the next
>guy is

Monkey Genius
Member since Mar 04th 2005
8099 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 09:38 AM

26. "That wasn't even T&T's B team."
In response to Reply # 0

That's our C team + two starters. Team morale demolished. Seven game losing streak. Stadium empty. Federation a shambles. Everyone from Trinidad's perspective had already accepted the loss. WANTED the loss so y'all could put us out of our fucking misery with this regime. Like...

WTF, y'all.

----------------------------------
I have a webcomic: www.watchthecomic.com

My webcomic has a page: www.facebook.com/watchyourheadcomic

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 09:56 AM

27. "first time 25 meetings that TNT took a 2 goal lead over the US"
In response to Reply # 26

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 03:53 PM

30. "it's funny because trinidad media is pissed about the game too"

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 06:43 PM

31. "You lower the bar, they keep ducking. Abandon soccer, take up limbo"

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Fri Oct-13-17 09:00 PM

35. "RE: You lower the bar, they keep ducking. Abandon soccer, take up limbo"
In response to Reply # 31

https://twitter.com/ShemikaCharles/status/911623351147175936

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 11:28 AM

28. "Everything, from Gulati down (but especially him) has to go"
In response to Reply # 0

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 12:54 PM

29. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7lGGhHZSZs"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7lGGhHZSZs

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Oct-13-17 09:49 AM

32. "grand opening, grand closing..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2017/10/12/19/19/20171013-news-mnt-bruce-arena-resigns-as-us-mens-national-team-head-coach

j.
3819 posts
Fri Oct-13-17 10:47 AM

33. "When does Senile Sunil resign?"
In response to Reply # 32

coaches come and go, but the rot in US Soccer starts at the top
if Sunil is on some president for life shit then fuck him and fuck US Soccer

Buck
16151 posts
Fri Oct-13-17 12:46 PM

34. "Not how I thought this would play out."
In response to Reply # 32

Not how most people thought it would play out, I guess.

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Fri Oct-13-17 11:05 PM

36. "I mean, he still gets his contract money"
In response to Reply # 34

He just aint gotta go to Russia now

theeraser
7218 posts
Sat Oct-14-17 08:32 AM

37. "Pay-to-play in US junior soccer a major issue? (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.goal.com/en/news/how-many-howards-or-dempseys-are-the-us-losing-due-to-pay-to/4c10dtk0u17c16q7nsa1g3x4y

Buck
16151 posts
Sat Oct-14-17 09:26 AM

38. "What, we want a commie system where talent is found and nurtured?"
In response to Reply # 37

And then subsidized, so even low-income kids have a chance to develop to their fullest potentials?

Fuck that. Youth sports is about making adults rich.

Capitalism, goddammit.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2592724 Previous topic | Next topic