Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2582373

Subject: "The Ball Brothers and their dad, Lavar" Previous topic | Next topic
ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 11:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"The Ball Brothers and their dad, Lavar"

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18268717/ucla-bruins-lonzo-ball-family-just-beginning-relationship

Theres several other articles out there, but this is the most recent

I know theres a UCLA post but I wanted to share/discuss this mostly to talk about how Lavar Ball has raised his sons.

In my dreams, this is how I woulda done my son. Play basketball with brothers/family/friends. Attend local high school. Shun the traditional AAU circuit for the most part. Avoid sneaker companies as long as possible.

At the same time, he's planned and micromanaged every aspect of their careers so far, which some may have issue with. But he has 3 sons going to play D1 ball and quite possibly into the NBA doing it his way.

Lavar Ball was asked just about every question imaginable.

Was his oldest son, Lonzo, quick enough? Should he change his shooting motion? Should Lavar send his sons to a different high school? Was the competition stiff enough? Were his younger sons, LiAngelo and LaMelo, good enough or just a product of their high school's system?

Through it all, Lavar would tell anyone who would listen that his sons were going to change the game. They were going to do it their way.

And he might be right.

Ball's oldest son, Lonzo, ranks second nationally in assists per game and starts at point guard for the No. 2-ranked UCLA Bruins. Ball's middle son, LiAngelo, is committed to UCLA for next season and scored 72 points in one game last month. Ball's youngest son, LaMelo, is committed to UCLA in the class of 2019.

Lavar could be bragging right now.

But he isn't surprised at all. He saw this coming.

"We've got a plan, and everything's going accordingly," he said. "They were born to go pro. I told them, 'Somebody has to be better than Michael Jordan. Why not you?'"

Four. That's the number of possessions David Grace watched before offering then-freshman Lonzo Ball a scholarship.

Grace, then an assistant coach at Oregon State, went to see a Chino Hills High School (California) practice while on a recruiting trip to Southern California.

"They went up the court about four times, then stopped," Grace recalled. "I walked over to his head coach and said has a scholarship offer from Oregon State. I knew he was that good."

As Grace was leaving, he turned to Etop Udo-Ema, who founded the Compton Magic AAU program and gave Grace the tip about Ball and said, "There's no way that kid is ever going to play at Oregon State. I'm going to have to move if I want to coach him."

Lonzo Ball, LaMelo Ball, LiAngelo Ball
The Ball brothers combined for 77 of Chino Hills' 105 points in the CIF-SS Open division Final win over Sierra Canyon last season.

A few months later, UCLA fired Ben Howland and hired Steve Alford, who made Grace one of his assistant coaches.

There were other schools involved, including USC, but UCLA was seemingly the team to beat for Ball. He had been attending camps at UCLA for several years and always had an affinity for the Bruins. UCLA's staff made him one of their top underclassman targets, and it took less than a year for Alford and Grace to close the deal.

Ball committed to UCLA midway through his sophomore year of high school, the same season UCLA went to the Sweet 16 in Alford's first season.

"UCLA was running, playing fast. Fit me perfectly," Ball told ESPN earlier this week.

There were two more Ball brothers, though, and neither had the hype Lonzo did.

LiAngelo -- often referred to as "Gelo" -- was a good scorer, but what position would he play at the next level? LaMelo -- "Melo" for short -- was essentially a 5-foot-8 shooting guard (he has since sprouted to 6-foot-3). Both played in a Chino Hills system that allowed them to take 20 shots per game and leak out for easy baskets, abandoning some responsibilities on the defensive end.

Given that Lavar kept the three brothers at the same high school and on the same AAU team -- and UCLA's coaching staff believed they were worthy of scholarship offers -- it became apparent fairly quickly that LiAngelo and LaMelo would follow Lonzo if they could.

"Our family is very close," Lonzo said. "It's a good thing we have over here, so we all made the same decision."

LiAngelo pledged to UCLA in April 2015, and LaMelo completed the hat trick in August 2015.

Did Lavar Ball have any clue what he was doing?

That was the prevalent question on the AAU and high school circuits the past couple seasons, given the unique way he handled his three sons.

Lavar didn't look to move Lonzo or any of the three brothers to one of the usual high school basketball powerhouses. They simply went to the local public school. He didn't try to hold LaMelo back and let him play with kids his own age; he threw him into the fire with Lonzo and LiAngelo so the three brothers would play together.

They played a few events on the Adidas Gauntlet circuit in the summer, and Lonzo went to the Adidas Nations event, but Lavar essentially created the Big Ballers AAU program for his three sons and some other local kids. He chose to not align himself with any of the major sneaker companies.

Chino Hills went 35-0 last season using a system that de-emphasized defense and aimed for as many 3-pointers and layups as possible as quickly as possible. The team averaged 97.9 points per game, taking 24.3 3-pointers per game and shooting an absurd 66 percent on 2-pointers. Lonzo averaged 27.4 points, 11.3 rebounds, 11.5 assists and 5.1 steals, LiAngelo put up 27.4 points per game, and LaMelo posted 16.4 points and 3.8 assists as a freshman. It was the most entertaining show in the country.

In the handful of games they played on the Adidas circuit, they didn't dominate like at Chino Hills -- but they did beat the NY Rens, which had five-star guards Mustapha Heron (Auburn) and Rawle Alkins (Arizona), and the Atlanta Celtics, which had five-stars Kobi Simmons (Arizona) and Joshua Langford (Michigan State) and ESPN 100 prospects James Banks (Texas) and Braxton Key (Alabama).

"It's not one guy that's going to change the program. I've got three of them," Lavar said. "Nobody heard of the Big Ballers. Nike, Under Armour, Adidas, hand-picked teams, and ya'll can't beat the local team?"

Lonzo Ball was ranked No. 6 on Chad Ford's first NBA draft Big Board.

The questions persisted: Could Lonzo play in a more structured system? Would he immediately step into the point guard spot, given the veterans UCLA had on the roster? Would his style translate?

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Ball is averaging 15 points, 5.2 rebounds and 8.8 assists while shooting 56 percent from the field. UCLA is 10-0 -- which includes a win at Kentucky -- and No. 2 in the latest polls. Lonzo has drawn comparisons to Jason Kidd because of his passing ability.

"He's one of those guys who sees things one play ahead," Alford told ESPN recently.

But it isn't about the numbers, according to his father.

"The key to Lonzo has nothing to do with ," Lavar said. "It's his winning. ... Winning is part of his game. That's his biggest attribute. The bigger the stakes get, the better my boy plays. Basketball is what it is; it's entertainment. So there's no pressure."

Isaac Hamilton, Bryce Alford and Aaron Holiday are all more efficient and shooting much better than they did last season. Thomas Welsh continues to blossom into an NBA draft prospect. Freshman TJ Leaf has been one of the best frontcourt players in the country.

"It's paying off," Grace said. "Who wouldn't want to play with Lonzo Ball?"

"Lonzo can adapt and play with anybody," Lavar said. "Put all the stars together, Zo comes out as the guy that knows how everybody's game is. Somebody has to be the alpha of the alphas.

"Point guard has nothing to do with stats," he continued. "Magic could've led the league in scoring. He wins, and that's what my boys have been predicated on. Lonzo is gobbling up as many Ws as possible. You put a better team around him, each level is going to get easier."

The pressure will change a little now. Lonzo has now laid the groundwork for his two brothers and their time at UCLA -- and the expectations are higher.

LiAngelo's and LaMelo's success will be the true sign of whether Lavar's plan worked. Lonzo's brilliance at the college level could be a harbinger of things to come, or it could simply show that Lonzo is a once-in-a-generation type of player who would find a way to excel regardless of situation.

As usual, Lavar isn't concerned.

"Lonzo sets the bar for my other two," he said. "You are going to create a monster. Melo is 6--3 now. He's not 5--8 anymore. Gelo is 6--6, 240. Lonzo won one state championship. Gelo has to win two. Melo can win four."

LiAngelo made headlines when he scored 72 points in a game against Rancho Christian last month, but that was on the heels of a 56-point outing -- and he has had three other games of 25-plus. He has moved into the go-to-guy role on the offensive end without Lonzo. With his recent scoring exploits, he knows more attention is coming his way.

"I just gotta know how to deal with it," LiAngelo told ESPN. "I know what people expect from me. People can't guard me because of how solid I am. My attitude came from maturity. I don't get too high on it."

Lonzo Ball was largely unknown in AAU circles, as he chose to not play on one of the shoe company circuits.

UCLA has the No. 2-ranked recruiting class in the country heading into the winter -- with four ESPN 100 top-50 prospects and LiAngelo, a three-star prospect. Unlike Lonzo, who was the jewel of UCLA's 2016 class, his brother is the lowest-ranked of the Bruins' 2017 signees.

With his size, LiAngelo is going to be difficult for opposing wings and guards to defend, but there are concerns about his quickness on the defensive end. While Lonzo can dictate tempo and has the passing ability to adapt to systems, will LiAngelo be able to play "bully ball" at the college level? Moreover, he has a consistent green light to shoot at the high school and AAU levels; he isn't likely to have that type of freedom once he gets to Westwood.

"He's a pure scorer," Lonzo said. "Gelo can score a lot of different ways. People say sometimes he can't play without me. He'll be just fine. He knows what he can do on the court. I know what he can do."

LaMelo's ceiling isn't as easy to project. He's only a sophomore in high school, and he's growing rapidly. A year ago at this time, he was 5-foot-8 and was mostly tasked with going for a steal immediately and then staying at half court so he could sneak out in transition for an open 3-pointer or layup. Now he has stepped in for Lonzo as the point guard for Chino Hills, and though it wasn't the easiest adjustment during the summer, LaMelo is beginning to get used to the position.

"I've got the ball more," LaMelo told ESPN. "Now that I'm 6--3, teams are defending me differently. I'm trying to be the best scorer in the nation."

LaMelo also mentioned that he beat Lonzo in one-on-one earlier this month -- but Lonzo has a different version of the story.

"That's not necessarily true," Lonzo said. "We have special rules when I play him because he's still small. I have to shoot all 3s. So I might have missed one."

Most of the questions about Lavar Ball's family came because of the uniqueness about everything surrounding his sons.

"My dad has a plan for us, obviously," Lonzo said. "As of now, it's working. We just love playing basketball. Since day one.

"We did it our own way, stayed together."

From the local high school to the unaffiliated AAU team to the skill sets of each of the three brothers. College basketball hasn't seen a situation such as this before.

Lonzo isn't the prototypical point guard. LiAngelo isn't the prototypical college wing. LaMelo isn't the prototypical high school guard.

Lavar doesn't do prototypical.

" UCLA the best passer, then the best scorer, and in Melo, something they've never seen," he said. "My boys are trying to be the best players in the world ever."

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
he's richard williams...if rich turned out to be completely wrong.
Dec 15th 2016
Lmao...I spit out my candy cane.
Dec 15th 2016
the longer you front on Lonzo Ball..the more drenched you're
Dec 15th 2016
cmon, man. Old Man Marinovich was in your time
Dec 15th 2016
If it gets all of his boys through school debt free and one of
Feb 27th 2017
We gotta pretend the other 2 are good too?
Dec 15th 2016
i'm still mad at having to pretend the good one is the #1 pick
Dec 15th 2016
The Yuggin is the real deal....middle kid is more a role player
Dec 15th 2016
      in today's game, that shooting ability is a commodity
Dec 15th 2016
      Alford getting these brothers to come to UCLA
Dec 15th 2016
           The truth is lavar also chose ucla and Alford because he was on the hot ...
Dec 15th 2016
      Man, I can't ride with 4 ft shooters bro.
Dec 15th 2016
           Whoose 4 ft?
Dec 15th 2016
                C'mon, you know I'm exaggerating.
Dec 15th 2016
                     Tyler ullis, Brandon knight, Eric Bledsoe?
Dec 15th 2016
                          None of them were 3 star prospects bro
Dec 15th 2016
                               RE: None of them were 3 star prospects bro
Dec 16th 2016
That Cali public league must be pure trash
Dec 15th 2016
The League isnt great, but they had to run the gauntlet last year
Dec 15th 2016
      Oh ok. Props then
Dec 15th 2016
obviously I'm biased a bit...but anytime a family chooses
Dec 15th 2016
Was going to watch LiAngelo in person on Tuesday.
Dec 15th 2016
we played Chino Hills super close a few weeks ago..
Dec 15th 2016
      I wanna start watching more HS ball out here.
Dec 15th 2016
           the battle for the LA City title this year is going to be pretty
Dec 15th 2016
           RE: I wanna start watching more HS ball out here.
Dec 15th 2016
Lavar says Lonzo better then steph
Feb 25th 2017
SMH, this guy needs to sit his ass down
Feb 25th 2017
A little early for this.
Feb 25th 2017
And it's not like he's doing anything worse than Cuban re: Dirk
Feb 25th 2017
And at least make sure the Lakers have a pick where Fultz isn't still th...
Feb 25th 2017
      That would lead to a classic rant!
Feb 25th 2017
      Watch the Suns pick him right before the Lakers*
Feb 26th 2017
This quote cracks me up:
Feb 26th 2017
I think Ball would get some consistent minutes actually
Feb 26th 2017
lol stop, he's NOT riding no damn pine
Feb 26th 2017
      I don't think you're aware how much better NBA players are...
Feb 27th 2017
Stephen A. cooked him on Mike and Mike this morning...
Feb 27th 2017
      Lavar walked it back a bit
Feb 27th 2017
Hope they don't end up like the O'Bannon bros
Feb 25th 2017
Ed's knee was shot
Feb 25th 2017
      he was just a sorry tweener. not like he reinjured it after college
Feb 26th 2017
           troll.
Feb 27th 2017
Lavar is a role model as i enter my dad years
Feb 27th 2017

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 11:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "he's richard williams...if rich turned out to be completely wrong. "
In response to Reply # 0

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 11:26 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Lmao...I spit out my candy cane. "
In response to Reply # 1

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 12:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "the longer you front on Lonzo Ball..the more drenched you're"
In response to Reply # 1

getting by the Ls that have already started raining on your 35 year old Fro-hawk......

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18758 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 02:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "cmon, man. Old Man Marinovich was in your time"
In response to Reply # 1

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

Castro
Charter member
50751 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:12 AM

40. "If it gets all of his boys through school debt free and one of"
In response to Reply # 1

them gets into the league, he won. The rest of that shit is whatever.

------------------
One Hundred.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 11:26 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "We gotta pretend the other 2 are good too? "
In response to Reply # 0

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 11:37 AM

5. "i'm still mad at having to pretend the good one is the #1 pick"
In response to Reply # 3

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 12:10 PM

7. "The Yuggin is the real deal....middle kid is more a role player"
In response to Reply # 3

but youngster is going to be outstanding...

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 01:51 PM

11. "in today's game, that shooting ability is a commodity"
In response to Reply # 7

there will be questions about his athleticism/size/position but he can flat out shoot

---

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 02:13 PM

13. "Alford getting these brothers to come to UCLA "
In response to Reply # 11

not only saved his job...but it's got them set as contenders even beyond this season..

ever after this year...you still got Holiday...you're bringing in Jaylin Hands next year...then Young Ball comes in 2019.....

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 07:40 PM

20. "The truth is lavar also chose ucla and Alford because he was on the hot ..."
In response to Reply # 13

>not only saved his job...but it's got them set as contenders
>even beyond this season..
>
>ever after this year...you still got Holiday...you're bringing
>in Jaylin Hands next year...then Young Ball comes in
>2019.....
>
>

Given his level of control he had leverage to get Alford to make concessions to get the boys

---

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 06:15 PM

18. "Man, I can't ride with 4 ft shooters bro."
In response to Reply # 7

Lonzo is good though but Fox better.

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 07:27 PM

19. "Whoose 4 ft?"
In response to Reply # 18

He was 5'8 as a freshman playing varsity against top teams shooting like that already and not fully developed

He's now 6'1 and has 2 6'5 brothers

At 6'1 even if he doesn't grow and just fills out, that's fine for a college and NBA pg who can shoot like that

---

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 07:52 PM

21. "C'mon, you know I'm exaggerating. "
In response to Reply # 19

And you know I don't care about 6 ft 3 star prospects. I just don't.

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 08:01 PM

22. "Tyler ullis, Brandon knight, Eric Bledsoe?"
In response to Reply # 21

---

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 08:25 PM

23. "None of them were 3 star prospects bro"
In response to Reply # 22

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Fri Dec-16-16 12:02 AM

25. "RE: None of them were 3 star prospects bro"
In response to Reply # 23

After freshman year?

---

Beezo
Charter member
27560 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 11:34 AM

4. "That Cali public league must be pure trash"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Dec-15-16 11:52 AM by Beezo

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 01:42 PM

10. "The League isnt great, but they had to run the gauntlet last year"
In response to Reply # 4

To win the State Title. Cali still has one of the toughest HS playoff routes for a team to win state.

---

Beezo
Charter member
27560 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 08:29 PM

24. "Oh ok. Props then"
In response to Reply # 10

>To win the State Title. Cali still has one of the toughest HS
>playoff routes for a team to win state.
>
>

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 12:15 PM

8. "obviously I'm biased a bit...but anytime a family chooses "
In response to Reply # 0

the public school route for their premier student athlete and it works...it's a great story...

it really shows a belief in their child...and a belief in the public school program they're sending their child too...

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 12:46 PM

9. "Was going to watch LiAngelo in person on Tuesday."
In response to Reply # 0

Had to work late. Turned out to be a blowout anyhow. Gonna try and catch him in person if I can, though.

I highly, highly, highly doubt Ball will go above Fultz, but even the fact that he's played himself into the likely top five is very impressive. He's also singlehandedly saving Steve Alford's job, which is an interesting development in the Pac-12.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 02:11 PM

12. "we played Chino Hills super close a few weeks ago.."
In response to Reply # 9

think we only lost by 6...

they aren't the super team this year they were last year.... but they're still solid..

but Narbonne is pretty much the up and coming squad in southern Cali right now...

We're one of the few public schools in the state right now that are housin in Football and Boys basketball

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 02:20 PM

14. "I wanna start watching more HS ball out here."
In response to Reply # 12

I'm tutoring kids at a bunch of different schools, and while I usually don't tutor anything too far north or east, I have plenty of excuses to go see games, haha. That Crespi game would've been ideal for me, even though they got blown the fuck out.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 02:26 PM

16. "the battle for the LA City title this year is going to be pretty "
In response to Reply # 14
Thu Dec-15-16 02:28 PM by Warren Coolidge

intense....

we smashed Fairfax in the Semi-finals last year...then lost the City Championship game to Westchester behind some terrible officiating....

we're kind of the new kids on the block as far as elite boys basketball and as it was with football....we haven't earned all the respect we deserve from the officials yet...

after we lost the City finals like that....we went on to the State and made it all the way to the Regional Semi finals and we lost at Redondo Union behind the refs calling a foul on a jump shot with no time left on the clock and us up by 1 point.... So we lost the region state semis on free throws with no time on the clock...

so far in the preseason tournaments we got wins vs. Bishop Montgomery, Westchester and we even beat Bishop Gorman from Las Vegas

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Thu Dec-15-16 02:29 PM

17. "RE: I wanna start watching more HS ball out here."
In response to Reply # 14
Thu Dec-15-16 02:37 PM by ShawndmeSlanted

yea i thought you woulda been all over that.

But I guess Duke doesnt recruit that much from the west coast. You and RBO could run a circuit in SoCal alone

At the very least you can get out to see Bagley and Sierra Canyon
They play @ Crossroads on the 4th

Mater Dei never makes it your way really

---

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Sat Feb-25-17 08:37 PM

26. "Lavar says Lonzo better then steph"
In response to Reply # 0

Now says Lonzo will only play for the Lakers...

---

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18639 posts
Sat Feb-25-17 08:39 PM

27. "SMH, this guy needs to sit his ass down"
In response to Reply # 26

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Sat Feb-25-17 09:19 PM

28. "A little early for this. "

Let the kid focus on the hoops season. And make sure the Lakers actually have a top three pick. If that pick heads to the Sixers, no way Lonzo is playing for Lakers unless they give up Ingram for #2 or #3.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Sat Feb-25-17 09:26 PM

29. "And it's not like he's doing anything worse than Cuban re: Dirk"
In response to Reply # 28

This shit is ridiculous. Holy Temper Tantrum, Batman.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mark-cuban-hated-a-bleacher-report-tweet-mocking-dirk-so-much-he-had-it-deleted-005225715.html

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

DJR
18639 posts
Sat Feb-25-17 09:46 PM

30. "And at least make sure the Lakers have a pick where Fultz isn't still th..."
In response to Reply # 28

SMH at "he'll only play for the Lakers!" in February.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Sat Feb-25-17 10:23 PM

31. "That would lead to a classic rant!"
In response to Reply # 30

The dad would probably make it his life's mission to make the Lakers regret that pick.

----

DeepAztheRoot
Member since Dec 19th 2003
13992 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 07:37 PM

35. "Watch the Suns pick him right before the Lakers*"
In response to Reply # 30

*let the shitshow commmence

<-Fear Ameer

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44719 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 07:29 PM

34. "This quote cracks me up:"

"He's better than Steph Curry to me. Put Steph Curry on UCLA's team right now, and put my boy on Golden State, and watch what happens."

Well, if you put Steph on UCLA right today, they cruise to the NCAA Championship, Steph averages about 50 ppg and the beat every team by 60.

If you put Ball on the Dubs right now, he rides the pine and comes in during fourth quarter blow-outs. They'd probably still be pretty good with Livingston as the starting PG, but not firmly the best team in the league.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 08:47 PM

36. "I think Ball would get some consistent minutes actually "
In response to Reply # 34

Obviously he's not Steph but his mentality and unselfish style of play fits exactly into the Warriors team and system. It's a major reason why I want him, he makes the right play damn near every single time.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

mtbatol
Member since May 22nd 2002
19788 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 09:19 PM

37. "lol stop, he's NOT riding no damn pine"
In response to Reply # 34
Sun Feb-26-17 09:20 PM by mtbatol

He isn't doing 24 & 7 on 50/40/90 shooting but he'd be pretty damn solid on that team. Being more pass first then Steph, Kerr would probably be a huge fan of his while egging him on to take his shots

and yeah you probably right about Steph lol. He was keeping it lit back in his college hayday, lawd knows how much havoc he'd wreck on them kids lol.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 01:57 AM

39. "I don't think you're aware how much better NBA players are..."
In response to Reply # 37

... but Lonzo Ball has played *maybe* two teams with NBA caliber talent and more or less got individually outplayed by both guards on those teams (DeAaron Fox and, to a lesser extent perhaps, Allonzo Trier).

Shaun Livingston has been playing NBA dudes for a decade.

I'm not saying I wouldn't bet on Lonzo to succeed-- I would-- but *right today*? Yes, 100%, I'd take the veteran to start over Lonzo. Wouldn't remotely be a question.

>He isn't doing 24 & 7 on 50/40/90 shooting but he'd be pretty
>damn solid on that team. Being more pass first then Steph,
>Kerr would probably be a huge fan of his while egging him on
>to take his shots

Dstl1
Charter member
56232 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:36 AM

41. "Stephen A. cooked him on Mike and Mike this morning..."

and it wasn't Screamin' A. with the histrionics, either. He was actually chill, measured and made damn good points.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 01:28 PM

43. "Lavar walked it back a bit"
In response to Reply # 41

>and it wasn't Screamin' A. with the histrionics, either. He
>was actually chill, measured and made damn good points.

I get the hate, and I woulkdnt be doing what he is doing. But he's an interesting dude because he talks his shit in a really jovial way. He isnt all angry and huffin and puffin. Its kind of a playful shit talk, but I guess when you're 6'6 330+ you can be jovial and say what you want, cause 1% of the population will tell you to actually STFU to your face

---

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Sat Feb-25-17 10:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
32. "Hope they don't end up like the O'Bannon bros"
In response to Reply # 0

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

DJR
18639 posts
Sat Feb-25-17 10:51 PM

33. "Ed's knee was shot"
In response to Reply # 32

I think he would've had a good pro career otherwise.

Charles was never on that level, IMO. Nice college player, but that's it.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 09:58 PM

38. "he was just a sorry tweener. not like he reinjured it after college"
In response to Reply # 33

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 01:58 PM

44. "troll."
In response to Reply # 38

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
42. "Lavar is a role model as i enter my dad years"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2582373 Previous topic | Next topic