Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2580862

Subject: "UCLA Basketball....back for 2016-2017....." Previous topic | Next topic
Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 02:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"UCLA Basketball....back for 2016-2017....."

Well....

got to admit I was wrong about a couple of things...

with the season imploding last year...I was not really confident about the team under Steve Alford going into the season....

sure...Lonzo Ball was a top prospect...but the idea of having your 3 guard starting line up with Ball..Alford and Hamilton...I just didn't see how that line up was going to match up defensively...and would there be enough ball movement...and less chunking....to make things work....

Well...I was wrong about that....because not only is this team moving the ball well on offense..... but all of the sudden they are playing great defense.... far beyond what they were doing the last couple of seasons...

then there's TJ Leaf...

I saw the high school highlights...was really impressed...but had no idea this guy was going to come and house guys like he's doing in college...Leaf is an all round threat on offense...and a tough guy in the paint...

Freshman Ike Anigbogu is a big strong rim protector for us....exactly what we need to go with the more finesse big me like Welsh and Golomon...

UCLA is proving they're for real..... and stil are missing one of their key players in Prince Ali.... once Prince comes back to give us a solid wing player and defender off the bench...this team can make some big things happen into March...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Having 3 guys on the court who can play pg is huge in teh NCAA
Dec 06th 2016
right....
Dec 06th 2016
      Its been real good team defense so far
Dec 06th 2016
           I like how active everyone's hands are.
Dec 06th 2016
They're still not great defensively... but it's going in the right direc...
Dec 06th 2016
i've been boycotting until Alford Jr is off the team
Dec 06th 2016
smh...not a good reason to boycott the most exciting
Dec 13th 2016
This is some exciting basketball..
Dec 10th 2016
I was really impressed with Ball. Leaf was more effecfive than "impress...
Dec 11th 2016
you are gonna beat us by 50. i was hoping we'd lose to UCONN today
Dec 11th 2016
      Only one OH mr basketball since 2010? Yikes
Dec 11th 2016
           dude i dont want to derail Warrens post..but yea
Dec 11th 2016
Holiday gets better every game....
Dec 17th 2016
man.... Aaron Holiday is killin it right now...
Dec 22nd 2016
That W. Michigan team played Nova and UW close too.
Dec 22nd 2016
TJ Leaf out here bashin on fools...
Jan 05th 2017
really fun team. Love the style of play
Jan 05th 2017
Going home in the second round
Jan 05th 2017
much not watch any games huh?
Jan 05th 2017
tough loss
Jan 21st 2017
my worry with this squad is
Jan 21st 2017
that was one hell of a game....
Feb 10th 2017
We're back in our groove...
Feb 18th 2017
yea lmao
Feb 19th 2017
      When I hear do the other 2 say they were 1 & dones my eyes rolled..
Feb 19th 2017
undefeated in february....
Feb 26th 2017
I think you mean Gonzaga and their sked
Feb 26th 2017
      It's still gonna be tough.
Feb 26th 2017
That switch to the 3-2 baffled Arizona.
Feb 26th 2017
they are much better man on man when Holiday and Ike
Feb 26th 2017
      I agree with that...
Feb 27th 2017
           I think one of the problems during
Feb 27th 2017
damn... Leaf's ankle...
Mar 01st 2017
refs should be ashamed of themselves for biting on that CP3 flop
Mar 01st 2017
wrong post, obviously...my b
Mar 02nd 2017
TJ Leaf turning pro....
Mar 30th 2017

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43352 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 02:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Having 3 guys on the court who can play pg is huge in teh NCAA"
In response to Reply # 0

especially evident in the game vs UK and their pressure.

The good thing is theyre not all midgets so they can play 1,2,3 and Hamilton can help with some ball handling too.

One of the things im impressed with Ball about is how he knows the floor and spacing so well. Several times ive watched him coach Bryce or Holiday to just take a few dribbles back towards halfcourt to create space for the offense, and remove clutter from the wing.

He also does a great job of re-finding the ball and coming back to get it. Not a skill a lot of people talk about when evaluating pgs, but the way he's always finding his way back to get the ball reminds me of something Cp3 does.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 03:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "right...."
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Dec-06-16 03:29 PM by Warren Coolidge

Ball's offensive awareness and court presence is really off the charts.... We literally look like a completely different team...running a completely different offense with him on the court...

and with our 3 PGs .... my concern going into the season was...well let me go back some....We've had some success with Big 2 guards playing small forward for us in recent years...going back to Ced Bozeman....on to Kyle Anderson ..then Norman Powell.... and with all 3 of those guys....they were paired with a back court tandem that could really lock down their opponents 1,2,3.... Last year with Isaac Hamilton filling that spot when you had Holliday and Bryce in the backcourt...we simply did not have size and defensive ability to match up well with 1,2,3s.... Isaac is no Norman Powell defensively ....Isaac can guard 1s or 2s...he can play the 1 or 2...he's not really a 3 at all..

so my concern was.....if you bring in Ball...start him and move Holiday to the bench...does that really solve last year's problem... I wasn't sure...but man.... we are a really good defensive team right now....

and once Prince Ali suits up ....we'll finally have a true wing in our rotation and that's going to make things even better

ShawndmeSlanted
43352 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 03:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Its been real good team defense so far"
In response to Reply # 2

I dont know if Bryce, Ball, and Holiday really scare anyone defensively. Like Longo said, Ball is pretty bad at moving his feet, BUT he has a knack for getting his hands in the right place at key moments so far.

I think theyre doing a good job communicating and playing team defense, but also their high paced offense is doing a good job of wearing guys down defensively so they are more tired on offense.

Ali will really help with that but who loses minutes once he gets back? It seems like they want to play Ball 33+, Alford plays a bunch, and so does hamilton.

Maybe once he gets back they can drop balls minutes a bit, but he really changes the complexion of the team when hes on the floor

>Ball's offensive awareness and court presence is really off
>the charts.... We literally look like a completely different
>team...running a completely different offense with him on the
>court...
>
>
>and with our 3 PGs .... my concern going into the season
>was...well let me go back some....We've had some success with
>Big 2 guards playing small forward for us in recent
>years...going back to Ced Bozeman....on to Kyle Anderson
>..then Norman Powell.... and with all 3 of those guys....they
>were paired with a back court tandem that could really lock
>down their opponents 1,2,3.... Last year with Isaac Hamilton
>filling that spot when you had Holliday and Bryce in the
>backcourt...we simply did not have size and defensive ability
>to match up well with 1,2,3s.... Isaac is no Norman Powell
>defensively ....Isaac can guard 1s or 2s...he can play the 1
>or 2...he's not really a 3 at all..
>
>so my concern was.....if you bring in Ball...start him and
>move Holiday to the bench...does that really solve last year's
>problem... I wasn't sure...but man.... we are a really good
>defensive team right now....
>
>and once Prince Ali suits up ....we'll finally have a true
>wing in our rotation and that's going to make things even
>better

---

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 04:22 PM

5. "I like how active everyone's hands are."
In response to Reply # 3

Like, yes, they don't create a lot of turnovers, and so far their defense has been okay at best overall, but if there's a loose ball or a rebound up for grabs or a pass that's not exactly on point by the other team, I like UCLA to touch it. And while that's not really an easily quantifiable stat, it does mean that I trust them to out-hustle teams, which usually results in wins.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 03:52 PM

4. "They're still not great defensively... but it's going in the right direc..."
In response to Reply # 0

They currently rank 7th out of Pac-12 teams in defensive efficiency-- they've let most of their opponents do a point per possession or close to it. This is mostly because teams have shot the 3 pretty well against UCLA, and the Bruins don't really look to force turnovers much. Still, compared to last year's travesty, it's much better-- I credit Leaf and Onigbogu being far more effective down low already on D than Tony Parker ever was.

However, the defense shouldn't matter too much if they keep this level of offensive efficiency going. Top 3 in the country in shooting percentage from both 2 and 3, #1 in the country in eFG%. They also shoot free throws really well. I'm most impressed by the rate at which Ball's wack-looking shot goes in-- it's unorthodox, but it seems to be working. Leaf is also a hell of a player-- the young Laettner comparison from that other post fits-- and Anigbogu is high-motor and a big body, which is always a nice thing to have.

Pac-12 should be interesting. I pegged UCLA to finish second to Oregon, but Oregon is still struggling without Dillon Brooks playing the way he should-- Arizona's a question mark too with Trier in the wings and Jackson-Cartwright out til February, they'll be tremendously talented but probably too young and too shallow a bench to do anything of note. The conference is UCLA's for the taking.

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 05:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "i've been boycotting until Alford Jr is off the team"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Dec-06-16 05:45 PM by Kungset

but i'm getting tempted to start paying attention again

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Tue Dec-13-16 01:06 PM

12. "smh...not a good reason to boycott the most exciting "
In response to Reply # 6

team in college

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sat Dec-10-16 10:19 PM

7. "This is some exciting basketball.."
In response to Reply # 0

And both Leaf and Ball may be 1 and done...

The Bruins have 2 future lottery pick point guards on their roster now in Ball and Holiday...

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Sun Dec-11-16 09:56 AM

8. "I was really impressed with Ball. Leaf was more effecfive than "impress..."
In response to Reply # 7

Its hard to make a living passing in the air the way Ball did but man he's good at it. Excellent shooter as well. Was REALLY impressed with Holiday.

The game got away from UM when Walton tried the face up 3 over Goloman at 78-69. 7-0 run later and it was over. They stopped attacking with Wilson in the second half and the pffemse got bogged down.

Great game tho. Was happy UM fought like that.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

guru0509
Charter member
45342 posts
Sun Dec-11-16 10:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "you are gonna beat us by 50. i was hoping we'd lose to UCONN today"
In response to Reply # 7

time for Thad Matta to go. We've reached UCLA - Ben Howland / Texas- Rick Barnes status with him....

his health has caught up and he cant keep the best talent in the state anymore.

time to turn the page.

>And both Leaf and Ball may be 1 and done...
>
>
>The Bruins have 2 future lottery pick point guards on their
>roster now in Ball and Holiday...
>
>

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Sun Dec-11-16 12:15 PM

10. "Only one OH mr basketball since 2010? Yikes"
In response to Reply # 9

And it was Marc Loving?

What a ripoff lol

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

guru0509
Charter member
45342 posts
Sun Dec-11-16 12:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "dude i dont want to derail Warrens post..but yea"
In response to Reply # 10
Sun Dec-11-16 12:24 PM by guru0509

If there was a Big 10 post this year, I would have typed a lengthy unabomber type diatribe abuot how its just time

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sat Dec-17-16 08:03 PM

13. "Holiday gets better every game...."
In response to Reply # 0

UCLA's guard rotation is deadly right now

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu Dec-22-16 12:21 AM

14. "man.... Aaron Holiday is killin it right now..."
In response to Reply # 0

it's crazy..

we have 2 of the best point guards in the country right now

Rick Fox Jr
Member since Feb 28th 2003
12029 posts
Thu Dec-22-16 01:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "That W. Michigan team played Nova and UW close too."
In response to Reply # 0

Interesting.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu Jan-05-17 09:19 PM

16. "TJ Leaf out here bashin on fools..."
In response to Reply # 0

peep sportscenter...

calminvasion
Charter member
12573 posts
Thu Jan-05-17 10:18 PM

17. "really fun team. Love the style of play"
In response to Reply # 0

Good for Steve, didn't think he'd cut it out there.

Still a dirtbag for what he did at Iowa, but that was over a decade ago, so fair to move on

Beezo
Charter member
27557 posts
Thu Jan-05-17 10:44 PM

18. "Going home in the second round "
In response to Reply # 0

Fun times right now tho

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu Jan-05-17 11:07 PM

19. "much not watch any games huh?"
In response to Reply # 18

as complete a team as there is in the country...

ShawndmeSlanted
43352 posts
Sat Jan-21-17 06:23 PM

20. "tough loss"
In response to Reply # 0

Today the defense was especially bad. They just couldn't put together stops consistently even when they finally got going offensively.

Too bad Hamilton couldn't save some of the shooting from last game.

Ball was the best player on the court. I was reading there were about 40 NBA scouts at the game tonight. He really shows up for big games. I've still been reading on lots of sites where people doubt if he's a pro player for some reason--usually around his ugly shot and supposed lack of athleticism (again I think this is a result of his stiller face).
Dude can flat out play because he reads and understands the game so well-- and has the ability to turn up another gear.

---

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sat Jan-21-17 07:33 PM

21. "my worry with this squad is "
In response to Reply # 20

the defensive match ups with guards or wings if in particular Bryce gets caught guarding guys that are really taking it to him..

and that's what happened today...

that's one of the reasons I was a bit disappointed we redshirted Prince Ali this year because he would have given us one more defender off the bench to guard guys like that...

that and Welsh was off offensively and defensively..... I think Coach should have gone with Holiday and Ike sooner and longer...

but hey...Pac 12 basketball is tough.... Arizona played a perfect game for themselves..

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri Feb-10-17 12:35 AM

22. "that was one hell of a game...."
In response to Reply # 0

this team's defense came back down to earth against Arizona and USC... and the first half of this game...but damn did it return in the 2nd half..

Ike Anigbogu has to be on the court as much as possible...he's our only rim protector and real dunker....

Lonzo and Holiday came up huge too...

big win for us...

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sat Feb-18-17 11:58 PM

23. "We're back in our groove..."
In response to Reply # 0

but man Ball's pops be putting on a lot on his kids..

he triple-downed on his claim about Lonzo and Steph Curry in an interview during the game..

ShawndmeSlanted
43352 posts
Sun Feb-19-17 09:37 AM

24. "yea lmao"
In response to Reply # 23

>but man Ball's pops be putting on a lot on his kids..
>
>he triple-downed on his claim about Lonzo and Steph Curry in
>an interview during the game..
>

Keep that to yourself bruh.
>unless he's trying to purposely drop Lonzos stock to get him to a certain team...which would be dumb because the lottery isn't set

---

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Sun Feb-19-17 11:49 AM

25. "When I hear do the other 2 say they were 1 & dones my eyes rolled.."
In response to Reply # 24

into the back of my skull.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 01:53 AM

26. "undefeated in february...."
In response to Reply # 0

with wins over 2 top 5 teams..

we have to win the pac 12 tournament to guarantee a #1 seed still...but we have a chance to be the #1 seed in the west now after BYU loses..

DeepAztheRoot
Member since Dec 19th 2003
13992 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 02:26 PM

27. "I think you mean Gonzaga and their sked"
In response to Reply # 26
Sun Feb-26-17 02:26 PM by DeepAztheRoot

Yep, I'd put a lot more stock in the Pac-12 tourney winner than the Zags for the 1 line

<-Fear Ameer

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 04:51 PM

28. "It's still gonna be tough."
In response to Reply # 27

Gonzaga had comparable non-conf slates to Arizona and Oregon, a better one than UCLA. UCLA has the best win (Kentucky on the road), but Gonzaga has wins against Arizona, Florida, and Iowa State neutral court. Their "best win" factor is no slouch.

Gonzaga was ahead of all three teams in RPI and KenPom til last night. Now, in RPI, they're a little behind Arizona and Oregon, still ahead of UCLA. They're still #1 in KenPom.

It'll be interesting to see if the committee *actually* de-emphasizes the RPI like they've claimed they'd do, in which case the Zags will probably retain a 1 seed, or if they still lean heavily on it, in which case I think Arizona and Oregon have the best chances if they can complete the regular season/conf. tourney sweep. I have a hard time believing, with the 1 seed line really competitive, that any non-regular-season conference champion will get one.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 04:52 PM

29. "That switch to the 3-2 baffled Arizona."
In response to Reply # 0

Alford should continue to throw in some different looks. They're not a great defensive team man-to-man. They should rely on confusion and misdirection. Combine that with their potent offense and they'd be money.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 06:01 PM

30. "they are much better man on man when Holiday and Ike "
In response to Reply # 29

are on the court.....

the problem really is with Bryce and Welsh not being to stay with quicker players...ie the first Arizona game when Bryce got completely torched, and the USC game when Metu ate Welsh alive...

playing more zone definitely helps with that....and something Alford did throughout this month is that he's going to his bench a lot quicker than he was previously..

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 01:58 AM

31. "I agree with that..."
In response to Reply # 30

... yet they tend to be better offensively with Alford and Welsh, so of course Alford will stick there more often than not.

It'll be interesting to see his schemes at both the end of the Pac-12 Tourney and the start of the Big Dance.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 01:00 PM

32. "I think one of the problems during"
In response to Reply # 31

the period we were a bit down was Coach Alford was hesitant to sacrifice his more potent offensive line up in favor for the more defensive line up...

looks like we're beyond that though...hopefully

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 11:32 PM

33. "damn... Leaf's ankle..."
In response to Reply # 0

hopefully not too bad...

gotta see more Ike and Gigi.....

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 11:39 PM

34. "refs should be ashamed of themselves for biting on that CP3 flop"
In response to Reply # 0

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Thu Mar-02-17 12:12 AM

35. "wrong post, obviously...my b"
In response to Reply # 34

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu Mar-30-17 08:51 PM

36. "TJ Leaf turning pro...."
In response to Reply # 0

good move for him..

he has a great chance to be a lottery pick.... great skill set...tough in the paint and can knock down 3s...

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2580862 Previous topic | Next topic