Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2570896

Subject: "Damn, Pop tired of Softridge already, lol..." Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 01:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Damn, Pop tired of Softridge already, lol..."

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/video-espns-jackie-macmullan-says-lamarcus-aldridge-may-not-finish-season-with-spurs

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
yeah Z-LO DA GAWD mentioned it too in his predictions column.
Oct 18th 2016
If true, how much does this hurt his trade value?
Oct 18th 2016
agreed.
Oct 18th 2016
right
Oct 18th 2016
I don't want to click on the link
Oct 18th 2016
guys like Aldridge are becoming obsolete in the small ball era, I think....
Oct 18th 2016
aka "the kanter shift"
Oct 18th 2016
This isn't Aldridge though. He has the ability to fill the modern 4
Oct 18th 2016
the thing with Aldridge is he doesn't really do anything else that well....
Oct 18th 2016
20 million isn't as damning as it used to be.
Oct 18th 2016
Yeah he's really a role player who thinks he's a star.
Oct 18th 2016
      role players can be "stars" though
Oct 19th 2016
He's one of the best defensive big men in the league
Oct 21st 2016
      an "elite player" that only made it out of the first round once...
Oct 22nd 2016
i was under the impression the spurs wanted LA to shoot more 3s
Oct 18th 2016
      That would make sense. Just odd he shot so few.
Oct 18th 2016
      That would require a drive & kick guard, 33 yr old Tony ain't one
Oct 19th 2016
Um. Z-Bo is old, broken and fat. And Big AL is almost there.
Oct 19th 2016
Pop just said this week GSW small ball is an anomaly
Oct 19th 2016
      The Spurs have played a lot of "small ball" the last few years
Oct 19th 2016
It's probably his agent rather than Pop & 'em
Oct 19th 2016
the Millsap thing might actually make the most sense for both sides
Oct 19th 2016
Dude is a top 10 player in the League...
Oct 21st 2016

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 01:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "yeah Z-LO DA GAWD mentioned it too in his predictions column."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-18-16 01:23 PM by dula dibiasi

9. LaMarcus Aldridge's name will surface in trade talks

The Spurs are self-aware. I have a hunch they know this is something of a placeholder season, and that without some injury luck swinging their way at the right time, they are a tier below Golden State. Aldridge is 31, six years older than Kawhi Leonard, and his trade value will never be higher; he can opt out of his contract after the 2017-18 season.

The Spurs will see if this team outperforms expectations. If it doesn't, they should take calls on Aldridge. He's really good, and there are a lot of impatient owners chasing immediate gratification. If opportunism meets desperation, the Spurs could fleece some rival and restock with a bundle of assets that better line up with Leonard's timetable.

The Lakers have a ton of young talent -- and top decision-makers clinging to jobs. Aldridge almost signed in Phoenix, and Suns owner Robert Sarver is dying to get back to the playoffs. They have a stockpile of prospects stuck behind fogies and mid-career guys, plus those extra Miami picks. Dallas and Houston will always look, even with Dirk Nowitzki and Ryan Anderson slotted into Aldridge's nominal position (and not much to trade beyond future picks). Maybe Toronto goes for it. Maybe Oklahoma City reloads.

The odds are against any deal happening. Signing Gasol to a two-year deal (with a player option for 2017-18) is something of an all-in move, and even if Gasol opts out after this season, the Aldridge-Leonard combo is a shiny lure for free agents. But if the season unfolds the wrong way, here's betting the Spurs at least listen.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 01:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "If true, how much does this hurt his trade value?"
In response to Reply # 0

You'd think the Spurs would need a starting PF/C in return to fill that hole.

Something like Nerlens and the Lakers pick would seem like too much.

Chicago could make a play but I don't think they have the pieces to make the final deal work (assuming Butler is off the table.) Ditto Toronto.

The Wiz could offer Beal but that would have to wait three months and not sure they have a PF to really throw into the mix. Doubt Pop wants to deal with Markieff.

Headache swap of Big Cuz for LA?

Denver could ship a bunch of young guys and one of their bigs Nurk or Jokic. I doubt Randle and Clarkson moves the neede or that Memphis moves Marc Gasol for Aldridge.

Phoenix might make some sense but they probably would have to spin Knight or Bledsoe to a third team who ships a big to SA.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 02:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "agreed."
In response to Reply # 2

>Chicago could make a play but I don't think they have the
>pieces to make the final deal work (assuming Butler is off the
>table.) Ditto Toronto.

If he was, and Wade does his banana boat thing...

Paul
Wade
James/Melo?
Aldridge
Lopez

The Bulls aren't that lucky though..ha.

https://digife.com

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 01:43 PM

3. "right"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-18-16 01:44 PM by Cenario

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 02:10 PM

5. "I don't want to click on the link"
In response to Reply # 0

in fear it's a video link since I don't like playing videos at work, but does the link in the original post address who would want to trade and in turn help the Spurs? Unless isn't a middling to garbage team, I don't see who would want to trade and help the Spurs out.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 02:59 PM

6. "guys like Aldridge are becoming obsolete in the small ball era, I think...."
In response to Reply # 0

Pop would rather start Kyle Anderson at the 4 in a Draymond-type role.

And then some small ball teams like to have at least 1 big around for defense/rim-protection but that's not necessarily a strong point for Lamarcus anyway and he doesn't seem like a guy that would be happy in a limited role. He's probably already complaining about touches the reason Pop is floating feelers out there for him now.

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 03:11 PM

7. "aka "the kanter shift""
In response to Reply # 6

First Al Jefferson, then Greg Monroe, and now Zach Randolph.

The list of high-profile, interior-based big men shifting from a starting to sixth-man role is increasing, almost following on from the tone that Enes Kanter set in Oklahoma City last season with averages of 21.7 points and 13.9 rebounds per 36 minutes off the bench.

As I wrote when discussing the change for Monroe and the Milwaukee Bucks, it’s a result of the NBA’s evolution. The roles of big men are changing, and the requirements for an ideal starting center aren’t what they used to be. Gone are the days when slower forces like Patrick Ewing are wanted to dominate the post.

In 2016, someone who can space the floor like Al Horford is ideal. If not, an athletic floor-runner is the other sought-after option; a center who can block shots, switch to defend the perimeter, rebound, run in transition and roll to the rim like DeAndre Jordan.

http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/nba-west/memphis-grizzlies/zach-randolph-6th-man-best-grizzlies/

>Pop would rather start Kyle Anderson at the 4 in a
>Draymond-type role.
>
>And then some small ball teams like to have at least 1 big
>around for defense/rim-protection but that's not necessarily a
>strong point for Lamarcus anyway and he doesn't seem like a
>guy that would be happy in a limited role. He's probably
>already complaining about touches the reason Pop is floating
>feelers out there for him now.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 04:21 PM

8. "This isn't Aldridge though. He has the ability to fill the modern 4"
In response to Reply # 7

Post-based offensive players who don't help a lick on defense are getting booted to the bench. (Although I feel like their spot in the starting lineup is a relatively recent development; since the hand check/contact rules were enforced. Now they're being phased out altogether as more agile big men can expand their games to the perimeter.)
But that wasn't LA in his final year in Portland. He expanded his range and launched over 100 3s that year, hitting at a reasonable 35% (which was better than Horford last year). He should be a poster child of the modern NBA big.

Last year? He shot like 16 3s. Joel Embiid as almost shot more threes in preseason than Aldridge did all of last season.

I'm not sure why the Spurs told him to stop shooting but that's not on him. If there's a problem, I think it has more to do with his attitude than it does his ability.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 04:33 PM

9. "the thing with Aldridge is he doesn't really do anything else that well...."
In response to Reply # 8

he's not a bad defender but he's not great either, and because of how good he THINKS he is offensively he's not much of a passer and can be kind of a black hole with the ball.

That's not a lot for a guy making $20+mil a year.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 05:08 PM

10. "20 million isn't as damning as it used to be."
In response to Reply # 9
Tue Oct-18-16 05:09 PM by SoulHonky

I mean, Aldridge now makes just 2 million more than Allen Crabbe and Ryan Anderson.

But, again, I think the issue is attitude more than ability. I think he could be a solid #2 star in the NBA except he resents not being the #1 guy and it affects his play on the court. He's not necessarily GREAT but he is good enough at everything that he could have a positive impact on both ends of the floor.

----

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 05:12 PM

11. "Yeah he's really a role player who thinks he's a star."
In response to Reply # 10

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Wed Oct-19-16 04:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "role players can be "stars" though"
In response to Reply # 11

I get the mentality, but J.R. Smith, Jamal Crawford, James Harden, Lamar Odom, Manu Ginolbili, Toni Kukoc, Detlef Schrempf, Kevin McHale, John Starks and more have all built recognizable names on being the guy that lets the other guys rest easy on the bench.

I actually really dig the idea of a big guy being the pace changer off the bench in the modern NBA and think more big men should be open to it. Guys 6'3 - 6'8 dominate the NBA right now, throw a 6'10-7'1 guy in there when everyone is tired or when the less talented subs come in and see what happens. I think Z-Bo could extend his career a year or two by lowering his shoulder in "garbage time".

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

BSharp
Charter member
9243 posts
Fri Oct-21-16 01:01 PM

22. "He's one of the best defensive big men in the league"
In response to Reply # 9

And his passing skills were a huge key to the success of the Blazers flow offense in his final two years there.

LMA is an elite player, period.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat Oct-22-16 02:37 PM

23. "an "elite player" that only made it out of the first round once..."
In response to Reply # 22

in Portland despite being surrounded by some quality teammates

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 05:21 PM

12. "i was under the impression the spurs wanted LA to shoot more 3s"
In response to Reply # 8

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 05:23 PM

13. "That would make sense. Just odd he shot so few."
In response to Reply # 12

I guess I shouldn't have said it wasn't on him. Maybe for some reason he just stopped shooting.

----

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Wed Oct-19-16 12:43 AM

14. "That would require a drive & kick guard, 33 yr old Tony ain't one"
In response to Reply # 12

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Wed Oct-19-16 03:54 PM

16. "Um. Z-Bo is old, broken and fat. And Big AL is almost there. "
In response to Reply # 7

LMAO @ quirky NBA writers always trying to be smart.

Those two guys are old.

And I have several other explanations for the other
cases.

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

icecold21
Member since Jan 18th 2008
8433 posts
Wed Oct-19-16 08:17 PM

18. "Pop just said this week GSW small ball is an anomaly "
In response to Reply # 6

So idk about all that

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/gregg-popovich-is-here-to-throw-ice-water-on-the-small-ball-craze/

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Oct-19-16 09:21 PM

20. "The Spurs have played a lot of "small ball" the last few years "
In response to Reply # 18

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Wed Oct-19-16 01:01 AM

15. "It's probably his agent rather than Pop & 'em"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Oct-19-16 01:16 AM by FILF

He doesn't want to play second fiddle to Kawhi & probably felt some type of way when Pau was signed b/c he's going to lose touches along with doing more of the dirty work.

There are four landing spot for him:

-Swap him for Millsap who himself is probably unhappy after being dangled during the summer

-Dump him on the Suns for Bender/Knight/Tucker (http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hudlw82) then move Patty/Kyle for Cauley-Stein (http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hnx8y64). It's the Kings/Suns front-office after all.

-Offer him to the Celtics for Bradley/Amir+Nets pick

-Package him w/ Kyle Anderson for Blake if GM Doc is forced to breakup the team before the trade deadline

...there is also Boogie but I can't see him in a Spurs jersey as long as Pop is at the helms.

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Oct-19-16 09:19 PM

19. "the Millsap thing might actually make the most sense for both sides"
In response to Reply # 15

BSharp
Charter member
9243 posts
Fri Oct-21-16 12:58 PM

21. "Dude is a top 10 player in the League..."
In response to Reply # 0

...and they just won 67 games.

Whatever. I don't buy it.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2570896 Previous topic | Next topic