Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2566620

Subject: "R.I.P. Jose Fernandez" Previous topic | Next topic
THRILLHOUSE
Member since Oct 26th 2007
3655 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 08:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"R.I.P. Jose Fernandez"
Sun Sep-25-16 08:28 AM by THRILLHOUSE

Died in a boating accident. Just awful news to wake up to this morning. Only 24 years old. Man...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/09/jose-fernandez-dies-in-boating-accident.html

In stunning and tragic news, one of baseball’s preeminent young stars, Marlins right-hander Jose Fernandez, died in a boating accident early Sunday morning, the team has confirmed. Fernandez was 24.

“The Miami Marlins organization is devastated by the tragic loss of Jose Fernandez. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at a very difficult time,” the club said in a statement.

As a result of Fernandez’s death, the Marlins have canceled their game against the Braves on Sunday.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This is just sad
Sep 25th 2016
WTF!!!!!! I'm at the gym and my phone buzzed in my pocket...
Sep 25th 2016
what???!!! Terrible
Sep 25th 2016
Got a text as I was waking up...just devastating on every single level
Sep 25th 2016
ugh...details from the Coast Guard....RIP to the other two people in the...
Sep 25th 2016
and his girlfriend is pregnant? Fuuuuck
Sep 25th 2016
Eduardo Perez's remembrance on Sportscenter:
Sep 25th 2016
that was hard to watch
Sep 25th 2016
      fuck, it really was
Sep 25th 2016
got this from NBA numbers cruncher, Tom Habestroh.
Sep 25th 2016
Man. Such a shock. He was amazing. RIP.
Sep 25th 2016
Man. Such a shock. He was amazing. RIP.
Sep 25th 2016
Damn shame
Sep 25th 2016
24 is just so young
Sep 25th 2016
Jeez man dag
Sep 25th 2016
gotfuckingdammit.
Sep 25th 2016
Heard about about from nfl.com. WOW! :(
Sep 25th 2016
RE: R.I.P. Jose Fernandez
Sep 25th 2016
Powerful sentiment from LeBatard (swipe)
Sep 26th 2016
Good stuff.
Sep 26th 2016
rip
Sep 26th 2016
respect due.
Sep 26th 2016
WTF...I somehow missed this news until this post JUST NOW
Sep 26th 2016
Incredibly sad. RIP
Sep 26th 2016
heavy hearts in miami tonight-
Sep 26th 2016
https://twitter.com/recordsANDradio/status/780552445688680449/video/1
Sep 26th 2016
wow.
Sep 26th 2016
they were, but then lost Giancarlo for a minute...
Sep 26th 2016
      RE: ...not gonna make it
Sep 26th 2016
           it would take a miracle....
Sep 26th 2016
the video of the Home run
Sep 26th 2016
powerful.
Sep 27th 2016
man...Dee Gordon...that was deep
Sep 26th 2016
the pregame ceremony was tough. Glad the mets showed a ton of
Sep 27th 2016
Geez those highlights from last night were surreal
Sep 27th 2016
details from the night
Sep 27th 2016
fuck, man...that's terrible
Sep 27th 2016
      gives more perspective to the team's response...you know they are
Sep 27th 2016
           I dont think they are dealing with guilt
Sep 28th 2016
                Ozuna said he told Jose not to go out that night...
Sep 28th 2016
                     I mentioned that
Sep 29th 2016
                          Feeling guilty isn't always reasonable or practical
Sep 29th 2016
The memorial service was today
Sep 28th 2016
coke and alcohol
Oct 29th 2016
Pretty much what i expected considering the circumstances
Oct 29th 2016

cantball
Charter member
46630 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 08:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "This is just sad"
In response to Reply # 0

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 08:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "WTF!!!!!! I'm at the gym and my phone buzzed in my pocket..."
In response to Reply # 0

first my ESPN alert and then the a breaking news joint I got. Decided to go ahead and check and damn near threw my phone.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18638 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 09:17 AM

3. "what???!!! Terrible"
In response to Reply # 0

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 09:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Got a text as I was waking up...just devastating on every single level "
In response to Reply # 0

I'm still in shock right now. Fuck.

RIP Jose

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 10:03 AM

5. "ugh...details from the Coast Guard....RIP to the other two people in the..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Sep-25-16 10:08 AM by Dstl1

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 10:37 AM

6. "and his girlfriend is pregnant? Fuuuuck"
In response to Reply # 0

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 10:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Eduardo Perez's remembrance on Sportscenter:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/eduardo-perezs-jose-fernandez-remembrance-was-incredibl-1787056223?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 12:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "that was hard to watch"
In response to Reply # 7

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 02:45 PM

16. "fuck, it really was"
In response to Reply # 15

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 11:07 AM

8. "got this from NBA numbers cruncher, Tom Habestroh."
In response to Reply # 0

After adjusting for era,
Jose Fernandez's career ERA ranks 4th in MLB history.

-- Mariano Rivera
-- Clayton Kershaw
-- Pedro Martinez
-- Jose Fernandez

I haven't watched baseball in many many years
but I do know the names on that list are the goats.

Dan Lebatard would always talk highly of him.
The baseball guys on ESPN all seemed highly emotional
about the whole situation.

so sad. only 24 years old.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Heinz
20759 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 11:11 AM

9. "Man. Such a shock. He was amazing. RIP."
In response to Reply # 0

Dude had such a bright future. He was def one of the next faces of baseball.

Heinz
20759 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 11:11 AM

10. "Man. Such a shock. He was amazing. RIP."
In response to Reply # 0

Dude had such a bright future. He was def one of the next faces of baseball.

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 11:15 AM

11. "Damn shame"
In response to Reply # 0

RIP

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 11:39 AM

12. "24 is just so young"
In response to Reply # 0

What a tragedy.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 11:45 AM

13. "Jeez man dag"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 11:53 AM

14. "gotfuckingdammit."
In response to Reply # 0

he won me over three years ago, when he was blowing away the Phillies in his second month and having fun doing it. he seemed like he genuinely enjoyed every second being out there on the mound, and it showed when he pitched. his attitude and talent were one of the few exciting reasons to tune into a MLB game.

I can't believe this.

--------

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 03:20 PM

17. "Heard about about from nfl.com. WOW! :("
In response to Reply # 0

Rest in peace.

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

Drewmathic
Charter member
2550 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 07:48 PM

18. "RE: R.I.P. Jose Fernandez"
In response to Reply # 0

I still can't believe.

He had so much fun on and off the mound. His interactions with Barry Bonds this year was so much fun. And he was so good. Leading the majors in strike out and he could swing the bat too.

Sucks. I watched pretty much all his starts this year.

http://twitter.com/Drewmathic

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 09:05 AM

19. "Powerful sentiment from LeBatard (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/dan-le-batard/article104096841.html#storylink=cpy

Called my mother with the awful news Sunday morning. Had such a hard time getting out the words that she thought something terrible had happened to me.

I know how much she loved José Fernandez. As a player. As a personality. As a symbol of strength and pride for our people. Marlins management has extinguished Mom’s love for baseball one move at a time over the last two decades, but Fernandez was the only thing that brought her limping back to that ballpark to climb those stairs in her old age. The only thing. Such was the reach of his arm and his joy and his story. It could bring even a betrayed 72-year-old Cuban lady in for what felt like an embrace by grabbing her so firmly by the heart.

There was a lot of silence on the other end of the phone when I told Mom that Fernandez was dead at 24. But I could hear that she was crying. I didn’t have the words to soothe her. So I started crying, too.

These kind of emotional connections in sports are so rare. We didn’t know him. But we did. Fernandez’s exile story was our story, from fleeing to freeing, so we mourned as a family and asked questions with no answers and appreciated life and love a little more than we did a few minutes earlier. My chest hurt, and my mother wept, and my groggy father awoke in a confused and grieving fog, asking “What happened?” This was how the early hours of Sunday felt for a lot of South Florida, so much of South Florida, too much of South Florida, morning turned to mourning.

Fernandez made us care. Damn it, this emotional investment. Why? Damn it. Why? Fernandez took us with him for the emotional ride. And it was such a fun party. A carnival. Watching him work was a pleasure, his joy birthing our joy, contagious and expanding and shared — hell, yes, multiplying joy — so Sunday mourning felt like the horror of watching the parade route end in a wreck and a funeral. So sudden. So fast. Too fast. Why? Damn it. Why?

An uncommon joy has been extinguished. Fernandez had found freedom on one boat, and now his life had ended on another. There will be uncomfortable questions about that in the coming days, and an investigation, but nobody wants to hear about that during the grief of the eulogy. This feels so cruel, so wrong, so unfair. It is the worst kind of awful, young life extinguished with thudding finality before it can really be lived, but it is somehow made harder because it was this life.

I’m not talking about his promise or his pitching potential, even though he was on his way to a $200 million contract and the loss of his baseball value is crippling to the franchise. I’m talking about his personality, his energy, his soul. Fernandez had so much joy and enthusiasm and gratitude and passion pouring from him — for being in this country, for getting to do what he loved, for squeezing every ounce of fun out of the day — that it could move even the repressed and the sour. His smile and laugh routinely thawed stoic statues like Giancarlo Stanton. Jesus, even hitting coach Barry Bonds was always kissing him in the damn dugout.

In the history of South Florida sports, only Dontrelle Willis has matched his contagious enthusiasm and charisma. And I say matched it because I know of no human way for his joy at work to be topped. He loved what he did, loved it so hard and so big, loved it so much that he forced you to love it, too. Fernandez played the way the best Latin music feels. He acted like a little boy in a sports world soaked with adult problems and cynicisms that can make us lose sight of the root verb at the center of what he did for a living. To play. You expected him to throw his glove into the sky at the end of successful innings. And you know what watching him work felt like to South Florida’s Cubans? Freedom.

All around that ballpark, in the bodegas and restaurants where people don’t speak English, you will find a slice of his story. So much of Miami’s economy and vibrancy and culture and flavor is built atop it. He tried to defect from Cuba four times, once saving his drowning mother during an attempted escape, the desperation on that rotting island such that he kept literally throwing his life to the wind to escape it. He was jailed after being caught once, but said the first few months of freedom in this country were harder on him than even the incarceration in that one. Such can be the difficulty of the transition for immigrants, exiles and dream chasers.
He didn’t understand how the faucet sensors worked in America’s airport bathrooms. He knew so little English that he didn’t even know where to put his name on a high school test. He so missed the grandmother who raised him, a grandmother who would later go to the roof of her apartment in Cuba to hear him pitch in the All-Star game on her tinny radio, that he would wander off into the woods to cry for hours at a time. But his golden arm reached across that ocean and got abuela here in an emotional reunion two years ago, so he was just beginning to share and live the best parts of his realized American dream. He had his first baby on the way. He worked so hard and sacrificed so much to get to the top of this mountain, and he barely had time to enjoy the view.

Thank you, José.

For sharing your joyful time with us.

For telling your story and our story with so much color and flair.

And for making us care in a way that can be hard to see today through our tears.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16160 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 09:18 AM

20. "Good stuff."
In response to Reply # 19

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 01:22 PM

21. "rip"
In response to Reply # 0

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 02:22 PM

22. "respect due."
In response to Reply # 0

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 02:27 PM

23. "WTF...I somehow missed this news until this post JUST NOW"
In response to Reply # 0

Even when I saw the name in the subject line I clicked on it thinking it was gonna be another Jose Fernandez because the one I immediately thought of was way too young to up and die.

Gonna go listen to LeBatard's pod because I'm sure this will be a huge chunk of it.

RIP

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 06:08 PM

24. "Incredibly sad. RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17857 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 06:23 PM

25. "heavy hearts in miami tonight-"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Sep-26-16 06:26 PM by kinetic94761180

whole squad wearing his name & number.

dee gordon homers in first AB.

wearing jose's helmet.

emotions overflow.

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayer™

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 06:38 PM

26. "https://twitter.com/recordsANDradio/status/780552445688680449/video/1"
In response to Reply # 25

https://twitter.com/recordsANDradio/status/780552445688680449/video/1

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 06:56 PM

27. "wow."

heavy.

are The Marlins playoff contenders?

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 07:02 PM

28. "they were, but then lost Giancarlo for a minute..."
In response to Reply # 27

and they faded. They're behind the Cards and Giants...not gonna make it.

kinetic94761180
17857 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 09:48 PM

31. "RE: ...not gonna make it"
In response to Reply # 28

they are NOT out.

and they are motivated now more than ever.

if they sweep this mets series it'll get interesting....

DROkayplayer™

kinetic94761180
17857 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 10:12 PM

32. "it would take a miracle...."
In response to Reply # 31

DROkayplayer™

Selassie I God
Member since Feb 21st 2006
10355 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 07:05 PM

29. "the video of the Home run"

https://www.facebook.com/mlb/videos/10154600554067451/

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0-qndkemo

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Tue Sep-27-16 12:34 AM

33. "powerful."

--------

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 08:06 PM

30. "man...Dee Gordon...that was deep"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/marlins-dee-gordon-breaks-down-into-tears-after-hitting-lead-off-home-run-092616

Cenario
59181 posts
Tue Sep-27-16 07:49 AM

34. "the pregame ceremony was tough. Glad the mets showed a ton of"
In response to Reply # 0

respect. Cohen/Carter/Keith crying in tho booth.

Wouldn't have been mad if the mets laid down for this one.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Heinz
20759 posts
Tue Sep-27-16 11:37 AM

35. "Geez those highlights from last night were surreal"
In response to Reply # 0

tears man. tears.

Cenario
59181 posts
Tue Sep-27-16 01:37 PM

36. "details from the night"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/09/27/jose-fernandez-boat-crash-last-evening-miami-marlins/91156262/

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Tue Sep-27-16 02:07 PM

37. "fuck, man...that's terrible"
In response to Reply # 36

Cenario
59181 posts
Tue Sep-27-16 02:30 PM

38. "gives more perspective to the team's response...you know they are"
In response to Reply # 37

dealing with some levels of guilt smh.

Heinz
20759 posts
Wed Sep-28-16 04:56 PM

39. "I dont think they are dealing with guilt"
In response to Reply # 38

other than one of Jose's friend's friend. The dude with the text messages. That shit is creepy cause he was trying to tell them not o go out. Same with Ozuna. But the players seemed to not want to go out on the boat just because of their own life stuff. Plus wasnt it 2am? If any of them went on there there would be more players dead.

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Wed Sep-28-16 05:03 PM

41. "Ozuna said he told Jose not to go out that night..."
In response to Reply # 39

you don't think he's dealing with some kind of guilt right now?

Heinz
20759 posts
Thu Sep-29-16 01:56 AM

42. "I mentioned that"
In response to Reply # 41

He might be I don't think it's deserved. Who would think any of this would happen. But the way you phrased it u sounded like more than Ozuna would be feeling any guilt. I just didn't agree wth that

Cenario
59181 posts
Thu Sep-29-16 06:03 AM

43. "Feeling guilty isn't always reasonable or practical"
In response to Reply # 42

It's not farfetched that the players could feel guilty for not telling jose not to go.

Or. That if they were there, it would have somehow happened dufferently. Death messes with people like that

Heinz
20759 posts
Wed Sep-28-16 04:57 PM

40. "The memorial service was today"
In response to Reply # 0

was looking at footage on Twitter. Man that shit is heartbreaking. Lots of people came out to pay their respects.

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Sat Oct-29-16 01:49 PM

44. "coke and alcohol "
In response to Reply # 0

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Sat Oct-29-16 02:00 PM

45. "Pretty much what i expected considering the circumstances "
In response to Reply # 44

By all accounts a pretty passionate guy who had just gotten into a huge fight with his girl and last seen at a dock-side bar. Clearly he was in a bad state of mind if his closest teammates were texting the friends with him to be careful.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2566620 Previous topic | Next topic