Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2566369

Subject: "So long, Kid. KG done with the Wolves, expected to retire" Previous topic | Next topic
Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 02:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"So long, Kid. KG done with the Wolves, expected to retire"

If this is really it (and it's BEEN time,) happy trails to the best I've ever seen put on one of my team's uniforms and someone who absolutely revolutionized the game in more than one way.

http://www.startribune.com/kevin-garnett-will-not-play-for-wolves-this-season/394608981/

The Kevin Garnett era with the Timberwolves here has ended.

Again.

Garnett, the best player in franchise history, the player who led the team to eight straight playoff appearances starting in the spring of 1997, the leader of the 2003-04 team that reached the NBA's Western Conference finals, will not play for the Wolves this season. Garnett and the Timberwolves came to an agreement Friday and a retirement announcement from Garnett is expected shortly, according to league source.

The news comes with the Timberwolves first training camp under Tom Thibodeau set to begin Tuesday.

Garnett, who waived his no-trade clause in order to reunite with the Timberwolves in February of 2015 in a move orchestrated by the late president of basketball operations and coach Flip Saunders, will not play out the second year of his two-year, $16.5 million contract.

Thus ends the final chapter of Garnett's time in Minnesota, a two-part series that included myriad highs and a few lows, including some bruised feelings when he was traded to Boston in a blockbuster deal that sent a bundle of players and draft picks to Minnesota in the summer of 2007.

Garnett leaves Minnesota, for a second time, having played 970 of his career 1,462 games here, having scored 36,189 of his 50,418 points and grabbing 10,718 of his 14,662 rebounds in a Timberwolves uniform.

What remains to be seen is whether this chapter ends with the same bruised feelings as the last time.

Garnett, now 40, became the first player in 20 years to go directly from high school to the NBA when the Wolves drafted the 19-year-old out of Chicagos Farragut Academy.

He joined a team that had not made the playoffs in its first six seasons, losing 60 or more games in five of those six seasons.

By Garnett's second season the Wolves qualified for the playoffs for the first time, beginning a streak of eight straight postseason appearances. With Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell , the Wolves made it all the way to the Western Conference finals in the spring of 2004, losing in six games to the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Wolves never made the playoffs again.

Contract disputes involving Cassell and Sprewell disrupted the 2004-05 season. The Wolves, who won 58 games in 2003-04, dropped to 44 wins the following season, one which saw Saunders fired mid-season. The victory total then dropped to 33 and 32.

In the summer of 2007, with the Wolves feeling they needed to rebuild, Garnett agreed to a blockbuster trade that sent him to the Celtics in exchange for Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, Sebastian Telfair and two first-round draft choices, which became Wayne Ellington and Jonny Flynn.

There were, apparently, bruised feelings in a trade that came after Garnett refused sign a contract for less than the maximum he could get.

"I guess at the end of the day, I'm loyal to a point where I feel, if someone's loyal to me, then I have no problem with that," Garnett said in his first press conference in Boston. "But when that changes, it's pretty easy to move on."

In the spring of 2008 Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor said he felt Garnett had "tanked it," by not playing in the final five games the season before, to which Garnett responded, "I have nothing to do with the Minnesota Timberwolves. That's my past and I'm in a new chapter if my life."

Spring of 2008 was also when Garnett won his only NBA championship, with Boston defeating the Lakers in six games.

The Celtics returned to the championship series in 2010, losing to the Lakers in five games. After the 2012-13 season Garnett was traded to Brooklyn.

But, with Saunders back running the organization and the Wolves' prospects looking up, Saunders was able to mend fences and convince Garnett, then with the Nets, to agree to a trade that brought Garnett back to Minnesota in exchange for Thaddeus Young

Upon his return, Garnett made it clear in his returning press conference he was coming back with bigger goals than just wearing the uniform again. He talked about one day being part of a group that owned the Wolves, a prospect that now seems dim.

"I am," he said when asked about being in Minnesota for the long haul. "That is the goal. At some point, I want to understand ownership and try to get into that and bring a championship to this city. That has been my goal since I became a Wolf."

But, immediately, his goal was to act as a veteran mentor to a young team while playing for a franchise he appeared to have reconnected with. "It's perfect," Garnett said. "If you have a story, this is a fairy tale," he said. "This is a perfect ending to it. This is how you want to do it. I know these are the declining days of my playing days, but I think I have so much more to bring. This is the perfect situation. This is full-circle right here."

After returning to thunderous applause in his first game back at Target Center, Garnett played in only four more games, missing the team's final 15 with knee soreness.

Last season, with Sam Mitchell coaching the team after Saunders passed away from cancer, Garnett appeared in 38 games, last playing Jan. 23 vs. Memphis before knee soreness pushed him out of the lineup again.

So much has changed since. Taylor hired Thibodeau as president of basketball operations and coach and Scott Layden as general manager. Through the draft and free agency, Garnett's status remain unresolved, with Thibodeau and Taylor remaining mum on the subject.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
salute.
Sep 23rd 2016
plus had one of the wettest jumpers ever for a man that size
Sep 23rd 2016
2000-2010... the golden era of the NBA
Sep 23rd 2016
It was fun to watch him play. Top 5 PF. Respect.
Sep 23rd 2016
So when are Pierce/Ray going to announce his retirement?
Sep 23rd 2016
Ray nor Pierce should get inducted in 5 yrs
Sep 23rd 2016
      They might get the Reggie treatment
Sep 23rd 2016
      Ray and Pierce? They ain't fucking Corey Maggette
Sep 24th 2016
      It's the dumbest shit ever
Sep 25th 2016
      man, gtfoh.
Sep 24th 2016
      lol...how do people wake up and say shit like this?
Sep 24th 2016
      RE: Ray nor Pierce should get inducted in 5 yrs
Sep 24th 2016
      Both >>>>>>>> A.I.
Sep 25th 2016
      LOL
Sep 26th 2016
      I don't get why the year matters to people
Sep 25th 2016
Major respect due.
Sep 23rd 2016
respect due to one of the best...
Sep 23rd 2016
Tip my cap to him
Sep 23rd 2016
We're about to have one helluva HOF class soon
Sep 23rd 2016
Cmon dawg, that's Kevin GAR-nett
Sep 23rd 2016
One of the best to ever do it
Sep 24th 2016
"ANYTHING IS POSSIBUULLLLLLLL!"
Sep 25th 2016
As Studio Thug as he might have been...I loved watching him play
Sep 26th 2016
KG was the last player with ties to the SNES/Genesis
Sep 26th 2016
KG was still in the league?
Sep 28th 2016
RE: So long, Kid. KG done with the Wolves, expected to retire
Sep 28th 2016

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 02:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "salute."
In response to Reply # 0

i saw him play in person as a HS senior, in a hot crowded gym on the west side of chicago, and immediately knew i was watching a futute superstar.

one of the best of his generation. a true dog, tough as nails. amazingly versatile, relentless defender and got his ultimate validation with the '08 chip. privileged to watch his entire career.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 03:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "plus had one of the wettest jumpers ever for a man that size"
In response to Reply # 1

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4381 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 04:38 PM

3. "2000-2010... the golden era of the NBA"
In response to Reply # 0

icecold21
Member since Jan 18th 2008
8433 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 04:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "It was fun to watch him play. Top 5 PF. Respect."
In response to Reply # 0

It was definitely time tho.

It's kinda dope he played exactly 21 seasons.
Nice to see him end in Minnesota.

Won't miss the studio thug bs tho. Fake 'tensity

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 04:48 PM

5. "So when are Pierce/Ray going to announce his retirement?"
In response to Reply # 0

If Ray/Pierce retire this year then the HOF class of 2021 would be:

Timmay
Kirby
KG
Ray
Pierce

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 05:09 PM

7. "Ray nor Pierce should get inducted in 5 yrs"
In response to Reply # 5

Perhaps its just me, but I'm stingy with that shit..

Mimum 5 yrs should only go to top tiers players but the HOF committee are some soft bitches, so virtually anyone with a decent to good career gets in now.

Not saying Ray & Pierce aren't good but they were always 2nd tier talents to me.. And I'm a big fan of both. but they can wait a bit

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 05:11 PM

8. "They might get the Reggie treatment"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri Sep-23-16 05:20 PM by FILF

>
>Perhaps its just me, but I'm stingy with that shit..
>
>Mimum 5 yrs should only go to top tiers players but the HOF
>committee are some soft bitches, so virtually anyone with a
>decent to good career gets in now.
>
>Not saying Ray & Pierce aren't good but they were always 2nd
>tier talents to me.. And I'm a big fan of both. but they can
>wait a bit

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

Premiere
Member since Sep 02nd 2005
2177 posts
Sat Sep-24-16 01:26 PM

13. "Ray and Pierce? They ain't fucking Corey Maggette"
In response to Reply # 7

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html

Like, I don't understand the process of waiting to vote someone in as a way of tiering the HOF; they have their resumes, and they'll all individually be tiered according to those (and they have been for their entire careers). This is supposed to be an exclusive club that you're either in or not; why should these guys get continual, year-after-year denial when you know they're deserving?

Fuck that shit. We're better than the baseball writers.

Anonymous
Charter member
23225 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 07:14 AM

19. "It's the dumbest shit ever"
In response to Reply # 13

It's a way for the sports writers to feel important and powerful.

There are NO tiers at the basketball hall of fame. No ones plaque says which ballot they got in on so its a completely pointless practice.

You're a either good enough to get in or you're not.

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Sat Sep-24-16 03:38 PM

14. "man, gtfoh."
In response to Reply # 7

>Not saying Ray & Pierce aren't good but they were always 2nd
>tier talents to me.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Sat Sep-24-16 06:59 PM

16. "lol...how do people wake up and say shit like this?"
In response to Reply # 14

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Sat Sep-24-16 11:30 PM

17. "RE: Ray nor Pierce should get inducted in 5 yrs"
In response to Reply # 7

Crack is wack....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 04:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "Both >>>>>>>> A.I. "
In response to Reply # 7

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 02:44 PM

24. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 18

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 08:13 AM

20. "I don't get why the year matters to people"
In response to Reply # 7

If they're worthy then they're worthy. Writers made a point to hold out on Jim Rice till his last year of eligibility. That's some crusty old guy bullshit that makes no sense. His stats didn't change in those 15 years.

But yes, they are both so obviously deserving that they should be elected first year.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 04:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Major respect due."
In response to Reply # 0

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 05:41 PM

9. "respect due to one of the best..."
In response to Reply # 0

..his last finals appearance was a loss to my beloved lakers in an epic 7 game series that had everything.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 06:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Tip my cap to him"
In response to Reply # 0

An honor to have seen his full career, and along with Thibs, spear-headed the best zone-era defensive team I have ever seen.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 09:32 PM

11. "We're about to have one helluva HOF class soon"
In response to Reply # 0

Kobe
Duncan
KG

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 09:49 PM

12. "Cmon dawg, that's Kevin GAR-nett"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adZ2IPdgL6c

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Sat Sep-24-16 06:48 PM

15. "One of the best to ever do it"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Sep-24-16 06:48 PM by obsidianchrysalis

Saw him, Vince, The Truth, and Stephon in the McDonald's All-American Game in St. Louis back in '95.

He aged into a secondary player on offense later in his career, but he was an amazing offensive player early on. Seemingly as athletic as The Brow is now.

He wasn't one of my favorite players while he played, but I always respected his skills and he consistently was one of the best quotes while he played.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 08:23 AM

21. ""ANYTHING IS POSSIBUULLLLLLLL!""
In response to Reply # 0

the most intense player of our time and possibly ever. You may hate him but every game is a playoff game to this guy and you gotta respect that. Gave me some great moments as a fan.

It's pretty amazing that ego never came between the big 3 really but that's one of the least selfish superstar teamups ever. He was a monster, but did he ever stat pad? He really just wanted the win every time, even on bad teams.

auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 10:11 AM

22. "As Studio Thug as he might have been...I loved watching him play"
In response to Reply # 0

And no one could question how much of a good teammate dude is/was.

Still mad I never got to see him and Ronnie Fields in HS.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 12:18 PM

23. "KG was the last player with ties to the SNES/Genesis"
In response to Reply # 0

http://kotaku.com/the-last-nba-player-from-the-16-bit-era-has-retired-1787066077

Kevin Garnett’s retirement from the NBA on the weekend was a sad day for Timberwolves fans, but it’s also a big deal for sports video game trivia nerds, because with KG out of the game there is no longer a link between the 16-bit era and the modern NBA.

Having jumped straight out of high school and into the NBA’s 1995 draft class, Garnett was on the rosters of NBA Live 96 on both the Genesis and SNES. As of last week, with other very old dudes like Kobe Bryant having moved on in recent years, he was the only remaining player from those rosters to be active in the league. As of this week, with his retirement, that’s it. We’re done. Close the book on the 16-bit era. They’re now historical relics.

While there are other active players in the NBA who are as old (or even older, in Andre Miller’s case) as Garnett, they were all drafted later, with guys like Paul Pierce and Vince Carter not appearing in video games until 1998, one year too late for the Genesis and SNES versions of NBA Live, whose last outing was in 1997.

KG & Kobe's lower body in NBA Live 97: https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--MHCjoSR---/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/clsyyg1oqqltzj0dqlp1.jpg

KG putting the hammer down in NBA 2K16: https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--olVEpdVZ--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/k28jnttz5rektbv7kj1r.gif

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Sep-28-16 09:08 AM

25. "KG was still in the league?"
In response to Reply # 0

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

Numba_33
Charter member
19325 posts
Wed Sep-28-16 09:55 AM

26. "RE: So long, Kid. KG done with the Wolves, expected to retire"
In response to Reply # 0

>Upon his return, Garnett made it clear in his returning press
>conference he was coming back with bigger goals than just
>wearing the uniform again. He talked about one day being part
>of a group that owned the Wolves, a prospect that now seems
>dim.

>So much has changed since. Taylor hired Thibodeau as president
>of basketball operations and coach and Scott Layden as general
>manager. Through the draft and free agency, Garnett's status
>remain unresolved, with Thibodeau and Taylor remaining mum on
>the subject.

This is fairly interesting. Not that I feel too sorry for Garnett because he was seriously paid throughout his career, but it's a bit interesting if the rug was truly pulled form under him in terms of not getting the possible front office position he was promised when Flip Saunders was coaching the Timberwolves.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2566369 Previous topic | Next topic