Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2562006

Subject: "Did the TB Bucs waste a 2nd rd pick on the next Ray Finkle? (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Mignight Maruder
Member since Nov 30th 2003
7716 posts
Sat Aug-27-16 01:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Did the TB Bucs waste a 2nd rd pick on the next Ray Finkle? (swipe)"

It looks like he had a nice bounce back last night, but uh...he's a K who was drafted in the 2nd rd so he should be top 3 at minimum and hitting 60+ yd field goals.

I just can't understand the philosophy behind drafting a kicker anywhere in the top 3 rounds. Every year there are semi-decent and sometimes very good kickers you can pick up off the street - let alone draft anywhere in the top 2 rounds. Is the difference between Roberto Aguayo and a random starting kicker (who was most likely an undrafted free agent signing) so pronounced that you take him in the 2nd round???!!

Because he plays for the Bucs it probably won't get much coverage, but this has all the ingredients for spectacularly disastrous ending.

It's all good for Bucs kicker Roberto Aguayo, fans

TAMPA — When the Bucs' opening drive Friday night stalled at the Browns 30-yard line, the crowd at Raymond James Stadium started cheering.

They didn't want to see a touchdown. They wanted to see a field goal.

As Roberto Aguayo lined up, the crowd quieted. Then they held their breath as the ball spun end over end 48 yards and through the uprights.

Cannons fired. Maybe the most anticipated preseason kick in franchise history was good.

And so was the next kick. And the next. And the next three after that.

Aguayo said he was relaxed all day leading up to the game but "was just ready to go for that first one, that long one for 48 yards. I hit it smooth, right down the middle."

It had been a long week for the second-round draft pick out of Florida State. Fans booed the rookie when he struggled during practice, a mental coach tried to help him regain his focus and everyone who has ever kicked a football offered advice.

The 22-year-old bounced back in the most emphatic way: making every kick. In the 30-13 win over the Browns, he converted three field goals (the 48-yarder as well as a 21-yarder and a 27-yarder) and three extra points.

"It was great to see," coach Dirk Koetter said. "That's definitely the guy we drafted. That's what he's getting paid to do, and he did it."

In the preseason opener against the Eagles, Aguayo missed an extra point but connected on a 38-yard field goal. Against the Jaguars last week, he converted all three extra points but missed two of four field goals.

The Bucs believe Aguayo also can be a weapon on kickoffs. But rather than try to pin the Browns deep in their own territory by kicking high and short, the Bucs decided to have him blast his kicks deep. Each of his seven kickoffs resulted in touchbacks.

Thomas Bassinger's Turning Point column appears on tampabay.com the morning after each Bucs game during the regular season. Contact him at tbassinger@tampabay.com. Follow @tometrics.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Aguayo will be fine. Best kicker since Seabass
Aug 27th 2016
If you say so. I hope for his sake he's at least above average.
Aug 28th 2016
Replace mistake2nd=1 if kicker==1
Aug 28th 2016
he's already missed three field goals this season
Oct 10th 2016
Just missed a potentially game-tying extra point in the 4th quarter.
Oct 30th 2016
if they weren't so embarrassed they took him in the 2nd
Oct 30th 2016
      I could see him getting "hurt"
Oct 31st 2016
      LOL, I didn't realize it was THAT bad. I knew it was a 2nd, but didn't
Oct 31st 2016
Fools thought they were getting Sebastian Janikowski
Oct 31st 2016
people were questioning that pick too
Aug 13th 2017
Aguayo cut. Good riddance
Aug 12th 2017
a disaster. might be one of the worst NFL draft trade-ups
Aug 12th 2017
      has to be.
Aug 12th 2017
      BUT HE WENT TO FSU!
Aug 14th 2017
      definitely in the discussion.
Aug 14th 2017

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85066 posts
Sat Aug-27-16 01:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Aguayo will be fine. Best kicker since Seabass"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Mignight Maruder
7716 posts
Sun Aug-28-16 07:07 AM

2. "If you say so. I hope for his sake he's at least above average. "
In response to Reply # 1

It's kind of odd that he missed an extra point and several field goals in his first few games. You just have to wonder if the pressure will break him.

Regardless, a 2nd round pick???!!

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sun Aug-28-16 08:20 AM

3. "Replace mistake2nd=1 if kicker==1"
In response to Reply # 0

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Mon Oct-10-16 10:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "he's already missed three field goals this season"
In response to Reply # 0

including a gimmie on national television.

--------

Mignight Maruder
7716 posts
Sun Oct-30-16 02:25 PM

5. "Just missed a potentially game-tying extra point in the 4th quarter. "
In response to Reply # 0

He was 6/11 on field goal attempts heading in to this game. Again, the Bucs drafted this guy in the 2nd round!

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Sun Oct-30-16 06:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "if they weren't so embarrassed they took him in the 2nd"
In response to Reply # 5

he would've been cut awhile ago. and he wasn't *just* a 2nd rounder -- the Bucs traded their THIRD AND FOURTH ROUND PICKS to move up and take him. he ended up cost Tampa Bay *three* selections in the top 106 of that draft.

they were 30th in the NFL in field goal percentage last season (72%). Aguayo is hitting 63% of his kicks after today.

--------

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 11:47 AM

7. "I could see him getting "hurt""
In response to Reply # 6

Put him on IR instead of cutting him; being someone else in for rest of season.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Mignight Maruder
7716 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 09:14 PM

9. "LOL, I didn't realize it was THAT bad. I knew it was a 2nd, but didn't"
In response to Reply # 6

realize they give up more picks (premium mid round picks at that) to move up for him.

As I said in my original post, *if* this happened in Philly or some other major market team, the team's front office would be getting fried for this move.

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 11:59 AM

8. "Fools thought they were getting Sebastian Janikowski"
In response to Reply # 0

Ended up with Stefan Janoski

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Sun Aug-13-17 08:12 PM

13. "people were questioning that pick too"
In response to Reply # 8

but here we are going on his 17th season and still doing well. Shit I just realized we got Sea Bass and Lechler in the same draft. Corner stones of our special teams for over a decade. Crazy.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

dillinjah
Charter member
9027 posts
Sat Aug-12-17 11:44 AM

10. "Aguayo cut. Good riddance "
In response to Reply # 0

https://mobile.twitter.com/TBBuccaneers?ref

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Sat Aug-12-17 12:20 PM

11. "a disaster. might be one of the worst NFL draft trade-ups"
In response to Reply # 10

of all-time.

--------

dillinjah
Charter member
9027 posts
Sat Aug-12-17 12:35 PM

12. "has to be. "
In response to Reply # 11

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Mon Aug-14-17 03:44 PM

14. "BUT HE WENT TO FSU! "

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Aug-14-17 04:12 PM

15. "definitely in the discussion."

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2562006 Previous topic | Next topic