Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2559188

Subject: "Uh...anybody been following this Enes Kanter / Turkey stuff? (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85068 posts
Tue Aug-09-16 08:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Uh...anybody been following this Enes Kanter / Turkey stuff? (swipe)"

anybody up on this Erdogan stuff that can fill in some context here w/ the sides?

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/08/09/enes-kanter-i-would-sacrifice-my-mother-father-and-whole-family-for-gulen/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Enes Kanter‘s family publicly disowned him for his support of Fethullah Gülen over Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Yesterday, the Thunder center responded:

KAMUOYUNA DUYURULUR..! pic.twitter.com/e7PJp38RTJ

— Enes Kanter (@Enes_Kanter) August 8, 2016

As translated by Eurohoops.net:

"Today i lost my mother, father, brothers and sisters, my family and all my relatives. My own father asked me to change my surname. My mother, who has given me life disowned me. My brothers and sisters with which we have grown together ignore me. My relatives don’t want to see me again.

For Gulen’s work, which has been grown by the tears of loyal and devoted people, not one but thousands of Enes could be sacrificed. I would sacrifice my mother, father and whole family for Gulen’s sake.

I would give my head for this case. I hope my God would take from my life and give it to Gulen. I would sacrifice my heaven and i would laugh through hells for this service. My love for Gulen is more than my love to my mom, father, brothers and sisters and all other loves.

My mom and my father would be sacrifice for you, for this service, for this case. There should be no doubt for everybody! God will take care to those people who are the supporters of this case, God will ramp up! Hang on my big brothers, hang on my big sisters! Hang in there! Let’s not lose that test. Let’s not be the losers at that victorious time. From now on, my sisters and brothers are the supporters of that service in 171 countries. Soldiers of that service are my brothers and sisters. From now on, my family is my Hodja (Gulen) who has tears in his eyes. Tyrants will be swept away in time. Hang on, God is with us. My god will make everything good It’s an indispensable case. There is God, there isn’t grief."

- Enes (Kanter) Gulen

That’s some heavy stuff.

On the lighter side of it, notice the signature. I wonder whether he’ll seek to change the name on his jersey from Kanter to Gulen.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
shit is crazy complicated
Aug 09th 2016
wow...that IS crazy complicated...gonna read up on that link
Aug 09th 2016
there was a solid NBA Reddit post that highlighted lots of this
Aug 09th 2016
^^about as well as you can describe it.
Aug 09th 2016
yeah i had to read through it all a few times
Aug 09th 2016
I looked into it. Got confused. Then resorted to hoping nothing...
Aug 10th 2016
Great breakdown.
Aug 10th 2016
Oh wow.
Aug 10th 2016
and let's not forget Syria and differences over how to fight ISIS
Aug 10th 2016
That thing about the emails is so insane
Aug 10th 2016
      the twitter back and forth was wacko
Aug 10th 2016
Damn, KD is ruthless.
Aug 10th 2016
the mothafuckin saga continues (c)...
May 26th 2017
Outside of Cuban baseball players, I can't think of someone
May 26th 2017
      It technically still is
May 26th 2017
      Manute had some issues while he was in Sudan at some point
May 26th 2017
      Dalai Lama nm
May 19th 2019
It appears things got even realer.
Jun 02nd 2017
whoa
Jun 02nd 2017
Turkey seeking four-year prison sentence for Enes Kanter(link)
Dec 20th 2017
holy shit this gets crazier by the month n/m
Dec 20th 2017
RE: Turkey seeking four-year prison sentence for Enes Kanter(link)
Dec 21st 2017
https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/1008720847039852544
Jun 18th 2018
Damn.
Jun 18th 2018
jesus
Jun 18th 2018
These goons have a warrant
Jan 16th 2019
Hedo Turkoglu is the feds
Jan 17th 2019
probably a non-issue at this point but interesting...
May 19th 2019

thejerseytornado
Member since Dec 24th 2005
26424 posts
Tue Aug-09-16 08:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "shit is crazy complicated"
In response to Reply # 0

So, Gulen's a former close friend/advisor of Erdogan who made bank. Erdogan ostracized him in Erdogan's slow but steady descent from populist toward dictator. To Americans, Gulen's views are generally seen as pretty progressive, while Erdogan has been both reformist in being an Islamic politician who is more nationalist than theist. But, his nationalism has also made him get into battles with the view of the Kemalist nationalists and members of the military which has a history of coups, but often seen as coups that protected a fragile democratic state.

This most recent coup failed, and erdogan's consolidated power dramatically since then, including blaming Gulen and his followers for the coup. I don't know if Gulen's responsible--he says he isn't and I have no reason to believe that's not true, but I also have no reason to believe it isn't--but Erdogan's used the coup to push out thousands of journalists, intellectuals, military personnel, etc. after accusing them of being part of the coup as Gulenists. And it's been popular--but that doesn't make it right.

Shit is crazy. and it gets weirder--a colleague I know a little has been leading the effort to point out that wikileaks, in supposedly printing a list of political emails, that proved nothing but actually doxxed millions of innocent women's private info. But wikileaks is crying foul that it's a pro-Erdogan cover up of censorship, but I know the woman behind this story, and she's very anti-censorship. It's INSANE, and I only know/am scratcing the surface.

see here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/zeynep-tufekci/wikileaks-erdogan-emails_b_11158792.html

-----------
you think we playing chess, but i'm playing mad-making. Basaglia

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Tue Aug-09-16 08:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "wow...that IS crazy complicated...gonna read up on that link"
In response to Reply # 1

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Tue Aug-09-16 09:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "there was a solid NBA Reddit post that highlighted lots of this "
In response to Reply # 1

Including that redo fan may have staged the coup himself to set up this his ability to oust journalists and opposition

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Aug-09-16 10:16 PM

4. "^^about as well as you can describe it."
In response to Reply # 1

even figuring out the sides will make your head hurt

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

BrooklynWHAT
85068 posts
Tue Aug-09-16 10:37 PM

5. "yeah i had to read through it all a few times"
In response to Reply # 4

to make sure i got it.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed Aug-10-16 07:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I looked into it. Got confused. Then resorted to hoping nothing..."
In response to Reply # 1

happens to my man Enes.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Wed Aug-10-16 09:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Great breakdown."
In response to Reply # 1

On top of all that, there was a segment on NPR that shows just how complicated the situation gets.

There's a rising sentiment among the Turkish that blames the U.S. for the coup (perhaps because Erdogan nixed all non-sympathetic media). And since Gulen resides in Pennsylvania that just feeds the resentment.

The rub is that Turkey is still officially a NATO ally of the U.S. So while Erdogan is likely sowing domestic discontent, he's still publicly declaring the U.S. as an ally. The problem is Erdogan wants the U.S. to extradite Gulen to show solidarity. And if the U.S. doesn't... that just pushes Turkey closer to Russia, who has always disliked NATO members close to its borders.

The Turkish "coup" is now looking like another front in the proxy war between Russia and the U.S.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-security-arrests-idUSKCN10K0OC

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Wed Aug-10-16 09:44 AM

8. "Oh wow."
In response to Reply # 7

I'm no world news expert, but I have to imagine that muddles things quite a bit in terms of affairs in the Middle East in respect for the US; that's assuming Turkey was to go rogue as you kind of alluded to.

Whole thing is pretty nuts.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

thejerseytornado
26424 posts
Wed Aug-10-16 10:02 AM

9. "and let's not forget Syria and differences over how to fight ISIS"
In response to Reply # 7

as the US' best allies, in many respects, against ISIS have been Kurds, but Turkish nationalists (like Erdogan) aren't fans of the Kurds because of competing claims over southeast Turkey area that has also helped push Russia and Turkey closer and again, this is just surface issues...

and mutherfuckers are really voting trump. racism is deep, yo.

-----------

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Aug-10-16 10:06 AM

10. "That thing about the emails is so insane"
In response to Reply # 1

Was it really too much for WikiLeaks to at least find someone who can read the Turkish language before leaking a massive email dump? I get that Assange himself probably can't, on account of him being all Polanski'd up in an embassy, but surely some of his sycophants can at least make the effort.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

thejerseytornado
26424 posts
Wed Aug-10-16 12:14 PM

12. "the twitter back and forth was wacko"
In response to Reply # 10

calling her an erdogan apologist and then blocking her.

proved, once again, that wikileaks is pretty much just whiny ass anarchists who think their shit doesn't stink. every once in a while (snowden), their shit indeed does not stink. But when it does...smdh.

-----------

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Wed Aug-10-16 11:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Damn, KD is ruthless. "
In response to Reply # 0

He paid off the family to disown him.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Fri May-26-17 04:31 PM

13. "the mothafuckin saga continues (c)..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19472840/turkish-government-issues-arrest-warrant-enes-kanter-oklahoma-city-thunder-newspaper-reports

saw dude on OTL last weekend...he was pretty level-headed about it, considering he had just made it back to the US after being detained.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/enes-kanter-turkey-tracked-me-to-indonesia-prompting-escape-to-romania

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri May-26-17 09:31 PM

14. "Outside of Cuban baseball players, I can't think of someone"
In response to Reply # 13

who couldn't go back to their home country without facing persecution from the government. I'm probably blanking on someone REALLY obvious, but this seems like a brave new world here. From a country that was still a candidate for EU membership like a decade ago.

This is nuts.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Fri May-26-17 10:16 PM

15. "It technically still is"
In response to Reply # 14

>From a country that was still a candidate for EU
>membership like a decade ago.

Erdogan's descent into islamist populism, as described in this thread, would have been enough to punt their candidacy far far away, but the huge wrinkle is that Turkey is currently host to 3 million Syrian refugees. In 2016 it agreed to a financial deal with the EU, to hold these refugees on its soil in an attempt to stem the migration waves to Europe (tbf it kinda did, if you compare 2016 to 2015). Erdogan knows that this is a very big bargaining chip with Europe, and has made very thinly-veiled threats to open up his borders if he doesn't get his way. But since he's sort of hinted at being over EU membership, while his country is struggling economically and could thus really use access to the European market, so things are messy to say the least

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri May-26-17 10:40 PM

16. "Manute had some issues while he was in Sudan at some point"

but yeah, it's rare

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Sun May-19-19 03:21 PM

28. "Dalai Lama nm"

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Fri Jun-02-17 02:49 PM

17. "It appears things got even realer."
In response to Reply # 0

link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/06/02/thunders-enes-kanter-says-his-father-has-been-arrested-and-faces-torture-in-turkey/?utm_term=.38c49d7d246e

swipe:

Early Lead
Thunder’s Enes Kanter says his father has been arrested and faces torture in Turkey
By Matt Bonesteel June 2 at 2:24 PM

Last month, Oklahoma City Thunder center Enes Kanter was briefly detained at the airport in Bucharest, Romania, after the Turkish government tried to pull some shenanigans with his passport. Kanter, a frequent critic of the regime of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, eventually was allowed to leave on a flight to London after he broadcast his plight to the world via Twitter. He eventually made his way back to New York on a green card.

On Friday, Kanter announced that his father has been arrested by the Turkish government and again called Erdogan “the Hitler of our century.”

Follow
Enes Kanter ✔ @Enes_Kanter
HEY WORLD

MY DAD HAS BEEN ARRESTED
by Turkish government and the Hitler of our century
He is potentially to get tortured as thousand others
12:05 PM - 2 Jun 2017
9,171 9,171 Retweets 7,781 7,781 likes

Kanter’s relationship with his family reportedly has been strained by his political views. The Thunder big man has long been a supporter of Fethullah Gulen, a cleric who is accused of being the mastermind behind a failed, bloody coup attempt against Erdogan last year. Kanter’s family disowned him after he continued his support of the cleric last year, leading the NBA player to informally change his last name to Gulen last year.

“I apologize to the Turkish people and the president for having such a son,” Mehmet Kanter, Enes’s father, wrote in a pro-government newspaper last summer.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

BrooklynWHAT
85068 posts
Fri Jun-02-17 03:01 PM

18. "whoa"
In response to Reply # 17

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Dec-20-17 10:22 AM

19. "Turkey seeking four-year prison sentence for Enes Kanter(link)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21825111/turkey-seeks-jail-term-knicks-enes-kanter-insulting-turkish-president-recep-tayyip-erdogan

C. Thelonius
Member since Mar 14th 2008
825 posts
Wed Dec-20-17 07:18 PM

20. "holy shit this gets crazier by the month n/m"
In response to Reply # 19

DanSpeak
Charter member
3089 posts
Thu Dec-21-17 12:48 PM

21. "RE: Turkey seeking four-year prison sentence for Enes Kanter(link)"
In response to Reply # 19

Don;t remember where I read his response to it but he called Turkey's Prez a "Maniac". Son is being WAY too loose with it IMO. Turkey was accused of trying to bribe certain US officials to hand them over the Cat Enes reps so strongly. He's playing with fire and should keep his mouth shut.

https://twitter.com/DJDanSpeak

https://soundcloud.com/dan-speak/the-voyage-mix?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 03:12 PM

22. "https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/1008720847039852544"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/1008720847039852544

Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 03:13 PM

23. "Damn. "
In response to Reply # 22

------------------
One Hundred.

BrooklynWHAT
85068 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 03:23 PM

24. "jesus"
In response to Reply # 22

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Jan-16-19 10:50 AM

25. "These goons have a warrant"
In response to Reply # 0

Turkish prosecutors are seeking an international arrest warrant for New York Knicks center Enes Kanter, accusing him of membership in a terror organization.

Sabah newspaper says the Istanbul chief prosecutor's office had also prepared an extradition request for the NBA player.

The newspaper says prosecutors are seeking an Interpol "Red Notice" citing Kanter's ties to Fethullah Gulen, who is blamed for a failed coup in 2016, and accusing him of providing financial support to his group. Officials at the prosecutor's office could not be reached for comment.

Kanter reacted to the report in a tweet Wednesday.

Enes Kanter

@Enes_Kanter

Turkish Government can NOT present any single piece of evidence of my wrongdoing. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t even have a parking ticket in the US 😂 (True)

I have always been a law-abiding resident. 😇
The Wall Street Journal

@WSJ
Replying to @WSJ

Turkish prosecutors allege New York Knicks center Enes Kanter should be extradited. An earlier tweet didn't make clear the request came from Turkey.
8:02 AM - Jan 16, 2019 · White Plains, NY
Twitter Ads info and privacy

607 people are talking about this

According to Interpol, a Red Notice is a request to locate and provisionally arrest an individual pending extradition. For Kanter to be extradited, the United States would have to be convinced that Kanter committed a crime prosecutable in the U.S.

In November, Turkey made similar extradition requests for more than 80 people that the country said were linked to Gulen.

Earlier this month, Kanter refused to travel to London for a regular-season NBA game, saying he feared he could be assassinated for his opposition to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Kanter's Turkish passport was revoked in 2017.

------

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Thu Jan-17-19 07:57 AM

26. "Hedo Turkoglu is the feds"
In response to Reply # 25

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25705352/hedo-turkoglu-says-enes-kanter-new-york-knicks-irrational-smear-campaign-turkey

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sun May-19-19 02:40 PM

27. "probably a non-issue at this point but interesting..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26746618/senator-asks-canada-ensure-kanter-safety

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2559188 Previous topic | Next topic