Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2536147

Subject: "What the Blood Clot? Bosh wants to play" Previous topic | Next topic
ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Tue May-03-16 12:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"What the Blood Clot? Bosh wants to play"
Tue May-03-16 01:02 PM by ShawndmeSlanted

Looks like hes going as far as getting the Union involved....

Love the passion, and im guessing hes had enough of his own medical advice that he feels confident, but man if anything goes wrong...
------

a.m. Bosh update: Ethan and I first reported here recently that there is a disagreement between the Heat and Chris Bosh about the handling of his medical condition (blood clots in his calf that dissipated weeks ago) and that Bosh wants to play during this postseason and does not want to retire. As we reported here last month (by someone with direct knowledge), Bosh had found a doctor who was receptive to potentially clearing him to play, while several others were opposed.

ESPN's Dan Le Batard, closer to the Heat than anyone nationally, shed more light on this on his show yesterday, saying Bosh is considering going to the union to allow him to play. Here's what Le Batard said to say:

"It's a super unusual situation. I can't think of a lot of instances where a sports organization is acting in what appears to be the best interest of the player over their own interests and against the will of the player. From the people I'm talking to, Chris Bosh wants back on the court and now, and the Heat on medical advice are saying absolutely not.... They badly want to get to an Eastern Conference Finals against LeBron and they are telling him, 'No, you cannot work.'...

"The Miami Heat and Chris Bosh are at a crossroads. There is a conflict here that promises to get a little bit messier. Now I'm hearing the Boshs want so badly on the court that they're trying to get the union involved. They found a doctor who might be willing to clear him.... For some reason, he thinks he's good to go and I think it's because he's not showing the symptoms he showed the first time.

"He doesn't feel physically bad, even as doctors are telling him, 'Hey, a recurrence of blood clots can be catastrophic.' You could have a Hank Gathers situation, a die on the basketball court situation, that no waiver is protecting the league from or protecting the Miami Heat from....

“The have consulted the foremost authorities in the world on this. And they are being told no. The risk is too large. No when you start talking about waivers and liabilities, those things don't protect you if the catastrophic happens.

" scoured the globe trying to find the doctor who will clear them and they’ve got someone that they feel comfortable about, but that does not pair against the number of other opinions on the other side. They’ve got someone that they feel comfortable with who’s willing to allow him to take the risk, but getting one guy… The people around this story I've spoken to is he's in a super precarious position.

“One of the things is, he’s not feeling symptoms now. He felt symptoms the first time. So he’s looking at this and saying, ‘Why am I not out there? I I feel fine. I’m good.’ They’ve got one (doctor) telling them the thing they want to hear…

"This is complicated and confusing and fascinating. They were wearing the #BringBoshBack shirts at the game (Sunday). They are putting private pressure on the Heat. They are putting public pressure on the Heat.

“I don’t know exactly what to believe here, OK, but I do trust the organization and I trust the people in the organization who tell me things because I’ve never been lied to by them about much of anything. They’re telling me that they’re protecting him from him, but he doesn’t feel any symptoms."

Here is what Luol Deng had to say about Bosh over the weekend.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
dang bro...just take it easy. it aint worth it.
May 03rd 2016
RE: dang bro...just take it easy. it aint worth it.
May 03rd 2016
Whenever someone "found a doctor" to clear them...
May 03rd 2016
What a weird situation
May 03rd 2016
He's taking blood thinners, though
May 03rd 2016
      Well yeah, if hes still undergoing treatments, then find a seat
May 03rd 2016
      yeah, blood thinners are a no go
May 04th 2016
Yeeeeeeah, really tough call.
May 03rd 2016
I think even if the union got involved and made the heat activate him
May 03rd 2016
I'm not sure how the union can force the heat to activate him anyway.
May 03rd 2016
Yeah. I guess we just don't have enough information.
May 03rd 2016
Anecdotal but my friend has something that sounds similar
May 03rd 2016
LA2philly knows about more about this than us
May 03rd 2016
Yeah. Where's my dude JungleSouljah when we need him?
May 03rd 2016
There's nothing that easy to check for blood clots
May 03rd 2016
      Great info. There's the answer, basically.
May 03rd 2016
      Right and additionally:
May 03rd 2016
           I remember when Hakeem played with one and he had to wear
May 03rd 2016
           Serena Williams a few years back
May 03rd 2016
      How risky do you think playing while taking blood thinners is?
May 03rd 2016
           easy to get cuts in basketball, so if what happened to
May 03rd 2016
           The risk for cuts is relatively high so yeh, def risky
May 03rd 2016
           They also make internal bleeding more likely for blunt trauma
May 03rd 2016
he went to a jamaican doctor to get the clearance, actually
May 03rd 2016
Bosh's doctor:
May 03rd 2016
"You tried the best. Now try the rest."
May 03rd 2016
Bosh got his medical clearance from this guy
May 03rd 2016
beat me to it lol
May 03rd 2016
HOLLYWOOD UPSTAIRS MEDICAL COLLEGE, STAND UP!
May 03rd 2016
I'd have to imagine
May 03rd 2016
He better chase his Xarelto with kool-Aid and sit his ass down
May 03rd 2016
Nygga tryna be Hank Gathers Jr.
May 03rd 2016
damn it was on his wiki page but I never knew
May 04th 2016
I didn't know that until like a week ago listening to Mike and Mike
May 04th 2016
yeah they were playing portland when he died.
May 05th 2016
whoa, I didn't know that at all.
May 05th 2016
Wow.
May 05th 2016
#Ballislife
May 04th 2016
Heat release statement: Bosh will not play in playoffs...
May 04th 2016
shut down
May 04th 2016
There was basically 0% chance they let him play again
May 04th 2016
Get him back on the court? Retire him NBA, for everyone's sake.
May 05th 2016

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "dang bro...just take it easy. it aint worth it."
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "RE: dang bro...just take it easy. it aint worth it."
In response to Reply # 1

At least wait til you get to the boss, Lebron

---

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Whenever someone "found a doctor" to clear them..."
In response to Reply # 0

It's a bad fucking sign.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35255 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:09 PM

3. "What a weird situation"
In response to Reply # 0

There is no accepted standard of resuming physical activity but if his treatments are done and hes now asymptomatic then thats usually good enough

He might have some vascular abnormality that isnt public knowledge tho

Either way. So strange.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Tue May-03-16 02:49 PM

21. "He's taking blood thinners, though"
In response to Reply # 3

which combined with the physical nature of being a big in pro basketball has some potentially bad consequences.

I'm not sure how big the risk is, if Bosh should be more cautious, if the Heat are being too cautious, etc., but just because he's asymptomatic to the clotting issue doesn't mean he's necessarily ready to hoop.

I hope he winds up being well and playing as long as he can, but it's kind of a tricky issue.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35255 posts
Tue May-03-16 03:32 PM

26. "Well yeah, if hes still undergoing treatments, then find a seat"
In response to Reply # 21

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4550 posts
Wed May-04-16 02:25 PM

34. "yeah, blood thinners are a no go"
In response to Reply # 21

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:17 PM

4. "Yeeeeeeah, really tough call."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-03-16 01:18 PM by Frank Longo

I'm sure the Heat can make him sign enough waivers that he could go onto the court without them being liable if something happens. That's obviously not the issue. And if he's asymptomatic, and there isn't an active blood clot in his system...

The issue is just if they really think he could drop dead on the court. Because no amount of waivers would make up for the horror show that would be an on-court death. And I assume they think that's a possibility because of... I don't know, the speed at which the blood could clot and then travel to his brain, maybe? I have no idea how this works.

Any medical folks on this board: is there a way to just run blood clot scans on the regular? What's the turn-around on those? Because if he has no blood clots presently in his system and he's asymptomatic and he's otherwise in game shape... what's to stop him from saying, "Hey, just scan me after every game, make sure I'm good, and if I'm not, I'll sit, but since I'm currently good, put me on the court?" I'm completely and utterly ignorant regarding this issue, so I'm very interested to see what someone who knows more than me about this (LA2Philly, maybe?) has to say.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:22 PM

5. "I think even if the union got involved and made the heat activate him"
In response to Reply # 4

If i were the Heat I could always say, "you havent practiced or been with the team for months, youre not playing, sorry"

Of course its harder at that point which is why the buffer of not being forced by the union to play him helps.

---

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:26 PM

8. "I'm not sure how the union can force the heat to activate him anyway."
In response to Reply # 5

his salary ain't changing. What's the union's argument?

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:27 PM

10. "Yeah. I guess we just don't have enough information."
In response to Reply # 5

Because if shit was all good like Bosh is claiming, and there was an easy way of keeping tabs on the condition day-to-day, I fully believe the Heat would activate him in a heartbeat. But there's obviously something on the medical side that simply ain't kosher.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:26 PM

9. "Anecdotal but my friend has something that sounds similar"
In response to Reply # 4

He has blood clots. He has to wear a compression sleeve on his leg every day. Takes thinners that make any cuts huge issues so he has a beard now to limit risk of shaving nicks that'll bleed for hours.

When he was first diagnosed, he did the treatment, felt better, got a Christmas tree, carried it to the car, put it on the roof, and then had to get driven to the hospital because he was about to pass out.

I think Bosh's actions also show that he's a guy who would likely try to play through the initial symptoms which could be catastrophic.

At least for my friend, this wasn't an issue to get over. It is an issue that he manages every day and changed his life because of.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:27 PM

11. "LA2philly knows about more about this than us"
In response to Reply # 4

but I dont think clots are his specialty.

---

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:30 PM

13. "Yeah. Where's my dude JungleSouljah when we need him?"
In response to Reply # 11

He was always my go-to medical reference on here, lol.

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:36 PM

15. "There's nothing that easy to check for blood clots"
In response to Reply # 4

Not currently at least (there's ongoing research with a positron emission topography (PET) test that may be able to do a sort of full body scan for clots but no timetable on that, or even if it will be valid in humans).

Currently, you have to rely on well-known risk factors and then further prevention via blood thinners, modified activity, nutrition and often times compression stockings. If you currently want to do a comprehensive test for clots, that involves ultrasound for your carotid arteries and legs, MRI for the heart, and then CT for your lungs...obviously not very feasible.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:38 PM

16. "Great info. There's the answer, basically."
In response to Reply # 15

He could have no clots now and develop one mid-game, and there wouldn't be a feasible way to see it coming. Hence the Heat's major reluctance.

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:43 PM

18. "Right and additionally:"
In response to Reply # 16
Tue May-03-16 01:43 PM by LA2Philly

One of the biggest risk factors for a blood clot becoming an embolism - which is when a blood clot actually dislodges and then starts traveling through your arterial and venous systems, with the potential for it to reach your brain, heart, or lungs...aka stroke or high risk of death - is high activity...let alone intensive activity...let alone professional sport activity.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:49 PM

19. "I remember when Hakeem played with one and he had to wear "
In response to Reply # 18

the compression sleeve on his thigh

---

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Tue May-03-16 02:57 PM

24. "Serena Williams a few years back"
In response to Reply # 18

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Tue May-03-16 02:55 PM

23. "How risky do you think playing while taking blood thinners is?"
In response to Reply # 15

My friend was just in the hospital for bloodclots and dude was bruising up easily while they tried to get his meds dialed in.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Tue May-03-16 03:02 PM

25. "easy to get cuts in basketball, so if what happened to"
In response to Reply # 23

Austin Rivers happened to Bosh in a game, man....I wouldn't want to see that shit.

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Tue May-03-16 04:52 PM

30. "The risk for cuts is relatively high so yeh, def risky"
Tue May-03-16 04:53 PM by LA2Philly

As Dee said just above me...imagine if he gets some acute trauma in a spot that has a lot of blood supply.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Tue May-03-16 05:42 PM

31. "They also make internal bleeding more likely for blunt trauma"

Which increases the risk of stroke. I think that's more behind the reason for the caution against contact sports more than the danger of bleeding out.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:25 PM

7. "he went to a jamaican doctor to get the clearance, actually"
In response to Reply # 0

"Are there any meds I can take to better manage my condition while I play?"

"Me nah have dat."

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:29 PM

12. "Bosh's doctor: "
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/qrupWrK.jpg

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:36 PM

14. ""You tried the best. Now try the rest.""
In response to Reply # 12

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "Bosh got his medical clearance from this guy"

http://i.imgur.com/LQDxaYm.png

themaddfapper
Member since Mar 09th 2010
7558 posts
Tue May-03-16 03:42 PM

27. "beat me to it lol"
In response to Reply # 17

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue May-03-16 02:53 PM

22. "HOLLYWOOD UPSTAIRS MEDICAL COLLEGE, STAND UP!"

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:56 PM

20. "I'd have to imagine"
In response to Reply # 0

the NBA and other owners would supersede whatever the Player's Association could do to intervene on Bosh's behalf, right? Can't blame the Heat for their stance though, since the blood clot issue did re-occur this season after it was initially thought Bosh was cleared to play when it occurred a season or two ago.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

deejboram
Member since Sep 27th 2002
25755 posts
Tue May-03-16 04:32 PM

28. "He better chase his Xarelto with kool-Aid and sit his ass down"
In response to Reply # 0

>Looks like hes going as far as getting the Union
>involved....
>
>Love the passion, and im guessing hes had enough of his own
>medical advice that he feels confident, but man if anything
>goes wrong...
>------
>
> a.m. Bosh update: Ethan and I first reported here recently
>that there is a disagreement between the Heat and Chris Bosh
>about the handling of his medical condition (blood clots in
>his calf that dissipated weeks ago) and that Bosh wants to
>play during this postseason and does not want to retire. As we
>reported here last month (by someone with direct knowledge),
>Bosh had found a doctor who was receptive to potentially
>clearing him to play, while several others were opposed.
>
>ESPN's Dan Le Batard, closer to the Heat than anyone
>nationally, shed more light on this on his show yesterday,
>saying Bosh is considering going to the union to allow him to
>play. Here's what Le Batard said to say:
>
>"It's a super unusual situation. I can't think of a lot of
>instances where a sports organization is acting in what
>appears to be the best interest of the player over their own
>interests and against the will of the player. From the people
>I'm talking to, Chris Bosh wants back on the court and now,
>and the Heat on medical advice are saying absolutely not....
>They badly want to get to an Eastern Conference Finals against
>LeBron and they are telling him, 'No, you cannot work.'...
>
>"The Miami Heat and Chris Bosh are at a crossroads. There is a
>conflict here that promises to get a little bit messier. Now
>I'm hearing the Boshs want so badly on the court that they're
>trying to get the union involved. They found a doctor who
>might be willing to clear him.... For some reason, he thinks
>he's good to go and I think it's because he's not showing the
>symptoms he showed the first time.
>
>"He doesn't feel physically bad, even as doctors are telling
>him, 'Hey, a recurrence of blood clots can be catastrophic.'
>You could have a Hank Gathers situation, a die on the
>basketball court situation, that no waiver is protecting the
>league from or protecting the Miami Heat from....
>
>“The have consulted the foremost authorities in the
>world on this. And they are being told no. The risk is too
>large. No when you start talking about waivers and
>liabilities, those things don't protect you if the
>catastrophic happens.
>
>" scoured the globe trying to find the doctor who will
>clear them and they’ve got someone that they feel
>comfortable about, but that does not pair against the number
>of other opinions on the other side. They’ve got someone
>that they feel comfortable with who’s willing to allow him
>to take the risk, but getting one guy… The people around
>this story I've spoken to is he's in a super precarious
>position.
>
>“One of the things is, he’s not feeling symptoms now. He
>felt symptoms the first time. So he’s looking at this and
>saying, ‘Why am I not out there? I I feel fine. I’m
>good.’ They’ve got one (doctor) telling them the thing
>they want to hear…
>
>"This is complicated and confusing and fascinating. They were
>wearing the #BringBoshBack shirts at the game (Sunday). They
>are putting private pressure on the Heat. They are putting
>public pressure on the Heat.
>
>“I don’t know exactly what to believe here, OK, but I do
>trust the organization and I trust the people in the
>organization who tell me things because I’ve never been lied
>to by them about much of anything. They’re telling me that
>they’re protecting him from him, but he doesn’t feel any
>symptoms."
>
>Here is what Luol Deng had to say about Bosh over the
>weekend.
>
>
>

pink toes: http://i.imgur.com/WN7DPL1

deejboram
Member since Sep 27th 2002
25755 posts
Tue May-03-16 04:34 PM

29. "Nygga tryna be Hank Gathers Jr."
In response to Reply # 0

pink toes: http://i.imgur.com/WN7DPL1

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Wed May-04-16 02:07 PM

32. "damn it was on his wiki page but I never knew"
In response to Reply # 0

Spo was on the court when Hank Gathers passed....kinda puts this situation into more perspective.

http://i.imgur.com/DEfeVRb.png

---

Dstl1
Charter member
56230 posts
Wed May-04-16 02:11 PM

33. "I didn't know that until like a week ago listening to Mike and Mike"
In response to Reply # 32

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Thu May-05-16 01:02 AM

39. "yeah they were playing portland when he died."
In response to Reply # 33

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Thu May-05-16 02:22 AM

41. "whoa, I didn't know that at all. "

it can be bizarre how things connect

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Thu May-05-16 07:37 AM

42. "Wow."

------------------
One Hundred.

guru0509
Charter member
45356 posts
Wed May-04-16 02:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
35. "#Ballislife"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Dstl1
Charter member
56230 posts
Wed May-04-16 03:56 PM

36. "Heat release statement: Bosh will not play in playoffs..."
In response to Reply # 0

but the two sides will continue to work together to get him back on the court in the future.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Wed May-04-16 04:00 PM

37. "shut down"
In response to Reply # 36

---

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed May-04-16 09:03 PM

38. "There was basically 0% chance they let him play again"

That would be as irresponsible as not wrapping up when smanging the varsity team becky.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28844 posts
Thu May-05-16 01:25 AM

40. "Get him back on the court? Retire him NBA, for everyone's sake."

The last thing any of us want to see is an NBA player die on the court. Reach a settlement and do anything to prevent him from dying on the court at costs. If he wants to be so close to the game then become an assistant coach.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2536147 Previous topic | Next topic