Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2513596

Subject: "Kevin Durant on Kristaps Porzingis: "Basketball Unicorn"" Previous topic | Next topic
Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59187 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 08:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Kevin Durant on Kristaps Porzingis: "Basketball Unicorn""

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/01/26/thunder-knicks-kevin-durant-kristaps-porzingis-baskeball-unicorn

Kevin Durant calls Kristaps Porzingis a basketball ‘unicorn’

Ahead of the Oklahoma City Thunder’s game against the New York Knicks on Tuesday, Kevin Durant paid a compliment to rookie Kristaps Porzingis, calling him a “unicorn” because of his rare combination of talents.

“He can shoot, he can make the right plays, he can defend, he’s a 7-footer that can shoot all the way out to the 3-point line,” Durant said, according to ESPN. “That’s rare. And block shots—that’s like a unicorn in this league.

“When they made the pick, I texted immediately and said ‘I like this kid, he can play.’ A lot of people were down on him, but he can play. He’s a skilled guy and I think we’ve gotten away from enjoying skilled players in this league. We get so many players that are athletic and big and strong, but he’s a skilled player.”

In 46 starts for the Knicks this season, the No. 4 pick is averaging 14.0 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game.

“You’ve got to respect what he’s doing,” Durant said. “This being New York City, everything is under a microscope, but he’s progressing at a high rate pretty fast, and he’s going to be a force.”

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
and we drafted D'Angelo Russell...
Jan 27th 2016
Nobody was drafting ZIngis @ #2. Cmon.
Jan 27th 2016
yep Kristaps gonna be better forever cause he better for 4 months.
Jan 27th 2016
Nah. He, Jah, and Kat have shown and proved thus far
Jan 27th 2016
      Porzingis is already solid.
Jan 27th 2016
           Porzingis defense is what is so impressive imo
Jan 27th 2016
           agreed. my favorite thing is watching him block shots...
Jan 27th 2016
           It's getting a little uncomfortable as a Lakers fan
Jan 27th 2016
                it will be interesting to see what happens with the Lakers next season.
Jan 27th 2016
                speak for yourself. im so not worried about DLo vs any of these cats
Jan 27th 2016
                Byron's taking Keith Smart's dumb, failed approach with Steph
Jan 29th 2016
                     Clippers announcers asking the important questions
Jan 30th 2016
                     DLo hit the nail on the head with his quote
Jan 30th 2016
                I was uneasy when we made the pick
Jan 29th 2016
Lmao
Jan 27th 2016
I'll wait until next year to pass judgment on this.
Jan 27th 2016
This is kinda where I'm at with it but I'm VERY concerned...
Jan 27th 2016
and D'Angelo's gonna be the 2nd best player out this draft
Jan 27th 2016
George Mikan wept.
Jan 27th 2016
*bookmark for prime future uppage*
Jan 27th 2016
Zingis spends free time watching same 3 movies over and over: (LINK)
Jan 27th 2016
And at the knicks practice facility
Jan 27th 2016
Was hoping to see Rocky 4 on there
Jan 27th 2016
I'm happy for the Knicks.
Jan 29th 2016
Elephant in the room question for folks here.
Jan 29th 2016
i mean, i knew he was gonna be good...
Jan 29th 2016
Low expectations + big media market
Jan 29th 2016
THIS!!!
Jan 29th 2016
That would be interesting.
Jan 29th 2016
      winning team...
Jan 29th 2016
           2 things....
Jan 29th 2016
                Boban got that locked up...
Jan 29th 2016
Lin actually helped the Knicks
Jan 29th 2016
      for a few weeks.
Jan 30th 2016
Perhaps, at the same time he's putting up 14 and 8 on a must make
Jan 29th 2016
Nah I disagree
Jan 29th 2016
expectations are def playing a role
Jan 29th 2016
how do you explain jabari last season then?
Jan 29th 2016
      i didn't hear a damn thing about Jabari last year honestly
Jan 29th 2016
      fair, maybe that was just basa lol
Jan 29th 2016
      you mean when he was leading ROY race before injury?
Feb 07th 2016
low expectations + actually being good.
Jan 29th 2016
Probably, people are pretty stupid
Feb 07th 2016
More like a mule with a Lex Steele dick mold on its head
Feb 07th 2016

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 02:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "and we drafted D'Angelo Russell..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43755 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 02:34 PM

2. "Nobody was drafting ZIngis @ #2. Cmon."
In response to Reply # 1

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85114 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 02:50 PM

3. "yep Kristaps gonna be better forever cause he better for 4 months."
In response to Reply # 1

<--- Big Baller World Order

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44918 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 03:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Nah. He, Jah, and Kat have shown and proved thus far"
In response to Reply # 3

It's hard not to project any of those guys as perennial all stars and career 20/10 guys.

Russ has still shown only flashes here and there but he's also got a ridiculously short leash that the aforementioned big men haven't had to deal with.

Zingis looks like much more of a sure thing from here on out and if we're basing the draft on what we know right today, nobody in their right mind takes Russ #2. This is not because his future is set in stone but the other two are much safer bets.

PROMO
Charter member
31058 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 05:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Porzingis is already solid."
In response to Reply # 6

He'll only get stronger, more offensively polished, etc.

He played incredibly well vs. OKC last night but if you only looked at the box score you might just see on "ok" game.

Clutch blocks, steals and buckets.

The ceiling is high for him.

Not sure what I can say for Russell other than he's not gotten the same "look" as Kristaps, but when he has played I haven't seen a guy playing at a level commensurate with his draft position.

Cenario
59187 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 07:31 PM

13. "Porzingis defense is what is so impressive imo"
In response to Reply # 10

He had a string last nght where he blocked Westbrook at the rim, ripped waiters and then slapped the ball away while durant was dribbling.

He s so good on D.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

PROMO
Charter member
31058 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 09:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "agreed. my favorite thing is watching him block shots..."
In response to Reply # 13

and playing PRETTY good POSITION defense against tenured NBA vets.

the tip dunks and threes are fun but that's the stuff that is easiest to get better at. it's all the other stuff that makes him look like a really special player for the future.

Cold Truth
44918 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 08:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "It's getting a little uncomfortable as a Lakers fan"
In response to Reply # 10

I'll say that much

I don't think the circumstances on this Lakers team are all that conducive toward fairly evaluating Russell in comparison to the big guns in his draft class, but watching how well Jah and Zingis in particular are doing is making me a little uneasy with Russ as our pick.

PROMO
Charter member
31058 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 09:37 PM

16. "it will be interesting to see what happens with the Lakers next season."
In response to Reply # 15

i mean, i'm sure they'll still struggle to win games, but that SHOULD be expected.

i'm more interested in how all the parts will fit (or not).

but you're right - we kind of have to wait til' next season when the Kobe Fairwell Tour is over to really see what the Lakers have or don't have.

BrooklynWHAT
85114 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 11:54 PM

19. "speak for yourself. im so not worried about DLo vs any of these cats"

the only one who can ruin DLo is Byron and that aint gonna happen.

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 11:49 AM

22. "Byron's taking Keith Smart's dumb, failed approach with Steph"
In response to Reply # 19

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/d-angelo-russell-was-benched-for--trying-to-take-over-the-game-214041264.html

D'Angelo Russell was benched for 'trying to take over the game'
The last few days haven’t been good to Byron Scott. The last few years haven’t, either, but in this business you mainly end up discussing the latest thing that wasn’t all that great.

In the hours following what might be the most believable cry of hacking in sports figure/social media history, Scott dug in to lead his Lakers against the Dallas Mavericks. The Mavs prevailed as Kobe Bryant watched from the sidelines, mindful of his sore shoulder and the home court setting that wouldn’t leave him disappointing faraway fans on his farewell tour.

The game also saw Laker rookie D’Angelo Russell struggle through yet another rough shooting night, as the 19-year old missed eight of 12 shots in the loss. Russell sat for the game’s final two and a half minutes, as Scott went with a three-guard lineup featuring D’Angelo’s replacement in Nick Young, alongside Jordan Clarkson and Lou Williams.

Following the loss, Scott offered up a very Byron Scott-like quote in discussing Russell’s absence.

"I saw the last couple minutes that he was in that he was really trying to take over the game, and that's not him yet," Scott said. "I want the ball to move a little bit. I thought it stuck with him. He tried to make the big shots and things like that. I understand that, but to me, that's not him right now."

"I love the fact that he has confidence," Scott said. "When it gets to the point where it's cockiness, then we've got a problem."
He wasn’t hacked.

At this point, it is rather difficult to stew over Byron Scott’s observations without treating his purview like the proverbial fish in a barrel. With that in place, there isn’t anything explicitly wrong, as if something could be so clearly black and white when it comes to sports, with Scott’s comments.

D’Angelo Russell shot five times in his first 9 1/2 minutes of work in the fourth quarter on Tuesday, making two shots. He missed two three-pointers and split two free throws while adding a steal alongside no assists. The Lakers were -3 in the quarter with him out there, eventually going on to be outscored 15-12 by Dallas in the final frame in what was a rough game to watch save for a pair of fantastic Kobe-bred highlights.

The Lakers probably had a better shot to win the game while featuring veterans Young, Williams, and Clarkson – however mercurial and young they might be. Russell, meanwhile, has not played like a superstar-in-waiting in 27 minutes per game with Los Angeles, despite dropping 12.2 points and 3.3 assists in limited minutes. He shoots 41 percent overall and takes far too many three-pointers for someone that makes less than a third of them.

He’s supposed to want to take over games, though. He’s supposed to take over games, even if it results in a litany of airballs. Much in the same way that Kobe Bryant or, I don’t know, Byron Scott attempted to on Laker teams that were filled with much more productive veterans.

Part of the job of the head coach is to live with such things. Sometimes the point isn’t to win battles, but the war; and these 9-38 Lakers have already lost the battle that is the 2015-16 NBA season. For Scott to continue to defer to intangible pablum as the reason why his 19-year old failed at rescuing his terrible offense for a series of plays in what turned out to be a deciding 12-point quarter should be infuriating to Laker fans.

We know these Lakers weren’t designed to win, that was obvious years ago, but at some point this small-yet-billion-buck organization has to come to terms with the hole it might be digging itself. At times, it appears as if the 19-year old might be the smartest guy in the room:

D'Angelo Russell on Byron benching him for trying to take over the game: "I don't know if he would've said that if I was making those shots"
— Michael Pina (@MichaelVPina) January 27, 2016

That’s a kid, mind you, pointing out that his 50-something head coach might be thinking one play at a time. In a bad way.

Again, D’Angelo Russell might not turn out to be an All-Star, or the next Laker legend. That’s not for Byron Scott to decide, though, in 2016. Good coaches provide an atmosphere in which lacking players can flourish and create. Good coaches allow for someone who is interested in the game, smitten with competition, and happy to lead to sometimes, take over when the situation doesn’t call for it.

Apparently we just called Del Harris, who coached both Byron Scott and Kobe Bryant in 1996-97, a “good coach.”

Kids gotta take their licks. The Lakers stand to benefit from losing games this season, but more important than a saved draft pick is the idea that the team’s young core develops something that is going to outstretch both the Kobe and Byron Scott eras.

On any other team, the idea of a continued “Byron Scott era” would be a laughable proposition. With these Lakers, however, you don’t know how far this hubris will take them. This franchise loves to dig in.

guru0509
Charter member
45383 posts
Sat Jan-30-16 03:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
39. "Clippers announcers asking the important questions"
In response to Reply # 22

https://streamable.com/way4

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Sat Jan-30-16 11:41 AM

40. "DLo hit the nail on the head with his quote "
In response to Reply # 22

Byron wouldn't have taken him out if he was making those shots and we've seen that twice already...vs Minnesota and vs Sacramento. Absolutely zero consistency from Byron, basing play off results which is so silly when you consider it's a rookie on a 9 and 38 team.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 11:18 AM

20. "I was uneasy when we made the pick"

We'll see if Russell can change that..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32102 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 02:54 PM

4. "Lmao"
In response to Reply # 1

Shits gotta hurt inside

Cold Truth
44918 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 03:14 PM

5. "I'll wait until next year to pass judgment on this. "
In response to Reply # 1

I'm slightly concerned, but just slightly. Zingis and Jah both look like the real deal and it's not like we had a shot at KAT.

I need to see what Dlo does with a different coach before I start really losing faith in the kid. He is only 19 after all.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 04:01 PM

9. "This is kinda where I'm at with it but I'm VERY concerned..."
In response to Reply # 5

>I'm slightly concerned, but just slightly. Zingis and Jah
>both look like the real deal and it's not like we had a shot
>at KAT.
>
>I need to see what Dlo does with a different coach before I
>start really losing faith in the kid. He is only 19 after all.

but I want to wait and see what he looks like in year 2. Did he work on his game and his body in the off-season or did he party? That will tell the tale.

Like I've said before I'm willing to cut him some slack this year, he's a 19 year-old millionaire rookie (sometimes)starting point guard for the Los Angeles Lakers. I just want him to survive this first year.

Because I'm pretty sure if I was in that position at 19 I probably would've drank, smoked & fucked my entire life away, lol...

Kungset
6426 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 03:21 PM

7. "and D'Angelo's gonna be the 2nd best player out this draft"
In response to Reply # 1

i'm only mad that we didn't get #1 pick for Towns. other than that, i'm good with that pick.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 03:25 PM

8. "George Mikan wept."
In response to Reply # 1

guru0509
Charter member
45383 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 05:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "*bookmark for prime future uppage*"
In response to Reply # 1

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44730 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 05:30 PM

12. "Zingis spends free time watching same 3 movies over and over: (LINK)"
In response to Reply # 0

Friday, Dinner With Schmucks, and John Wick.

https://www.gq.com/story/kristaps-porzingis-gq-interview

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Cenario
59187 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 07:32 PM

14. "And at the knicks practice facility"
In response to Reply # 12

He has his own key....not sure if that's common.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32102 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 10:31 PM

18. "Was hoping to see Rocky 4 on there "
In response to Reply # 12

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 11:20 AM

21. "I'm happy for the Knicks."
In response to Reply # 0

Numba_33
Charter member
19344 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 12:06 PM

23. "Elephant in the room question for folks here."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-29-16 12:21 PM by Numba_33

A lot of the praise Porzingis has received is partially because of lowered expectations, correct? I know for certain that's true in my case.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

PROMO
Charter member
31058 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 12:18 PM

24. "i mean, i knew he was gonna be good..."
In response to Reply # 23

but i'm not a knicks fan. i can understand why knicks fans mostly boo'd the pick.

he's exceeding expectations, but that doesn't speak to his quality or ceiling. that only speaks to low expectations aka "well...that's just like...your opinion, man."

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 12:19 PM

25. "Low expectations + big media market"

Look at what happened with "Linsanity"

---

But hell, what do I know?

gmltheone
Member since Jun 11th 2003
8564 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 12:29 PM

27. "THIS!!!"
In response to Reply # 25

>Look at what happened with "Linsanity"

I swear if this dude played in Orlando no one would give a shit. Towns better watch out. The media is angling for a reason to name this kid ROY.

----------------------------
Same as it ever was!

Numba_33
Charter member
19344 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 12:47 PM

30. "That would be interesting."
In response to Reply # 27

I would hope the sports writers would honestly vote based on what the numbers dictate. And this is coming from a Knicks fan.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

gmltheone
8564 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 01:16 PM

34. "winning team..."
In response to Reply # 30

Bigger market. I can see it happening. All it takes is a bad few weeks by KAT and Porzingis to maintain.

Same as it ever was!

Cenario
59187 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 01:26 PM

35. "2 things...."
In response to Reply # 34

1) I don't want him gifted anything...all star appearances, accolades, none of it...want him to earn everything.
2)I don't want to see him on espn the body....don't do it...please.

gmltheone
8564 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 01:39 PM

37. "Boban got that locked up..."
In response to Reply # 35

>2)I don't want to see him on espn the body....don't do
>it...please.

Same as it ever was!

Numba_33
Charter member
19344 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 12:51 PM

32. "Lin actually helped the Knicks"
In response to Reply # 25

get on a decent winning streak at the time though. Not saying he isn't an average point guard, just saying that the hype he got at the time was warranted given the circumstances.

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Sat Jan-30-16 12:02 PM

41. "for a few weeks."
In response to Reply # 32

the circumstances = big media market.

---

But hell, what do I know?

Cenario
59187 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 12:24 PM

26. "Perhaps, at the same time he's putting up 14 and 8 on a must make"

playoffs team (no 1st rounder) as a #4 pick.

By comparison Jabari was the #2 pick with high expectations and had 12 and 6 and his rookie year was considered a success.

When you add in that the #2 pick hasn't looked great so far and the #3 pick's rookie year has been smeared with off the court issues..right today zingis is looking like the 2nd best player in the draft.

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 12:33 PM

28. "Nah I disagree"

Watching him play, he is real. It's not rose-colored glasses by any stretch. Sure the average fan discredited the pick but we are saluting him because of his work ethic and skill set. A 7' 3" player with decent handles, a good outside jumper. Decent from three, can block shots, rebound and move as effortlessly as he does while defending 3s and 4s (even 2 guards at times), nah the priase is deserved. This is not Linsanity. Lin was and still is average. Porzingas is not average.

www.anthologyfmn.com

Enter the Written World of Fahim Malik Nassar

The House of Caine (available)

Melancholoy Funk (available)

Tha Anthology (Words 2001-2003) Poetry inspired by OKP and Wash, DC
(available)

The Spook who sat by the Radio Poetry (av

Kungset
6426 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 12:44 PM

29. "expectations are def playing a role"

just looking at the per 36 numbers, one is getting hyped up while the other, younger player is pretty much being labeled a bust already

18 points, 10 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 2.5 blocks
16 points, 5 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 1.6 steals

Cenario
59187 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 12:48 PM

31. "how do you explain jabari last season then?"
In response to Reply # 29

Worst numbers than both.

Kungset
6426 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 01:14 PM

33. "i didn't hear a damn thing about Jabari last year honestly"
In response to Reply # 31

Cenario
59187 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 01:26 PM

36. "fair, maybe that was just basa lol"
In response to Reply # 33

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Sun Feb-07-16 04:23 PM

43. "you mean when he was leading ROY race before injury?"
In response to Reply # 31

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

BrooklynWHAT
85114 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 02:33 PM

38. "low expectations + actually being good."

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sun Feb-07-16 05:31 PM

44. "Probably, people are pretty stupid"

Personally I was buying his stock and he's very slightly exceeded my expectations if at all. Ultimately the big thing will be his body and his commitment, same thing with any big rookie who has some tools. I think he will work hard but can he get strong enough and can he stay healthy? These are always question marks for a seven footer.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Sun Feb-07-16 04:15 PM

42. "More like a mule with a Lex Steele dick mold on its head"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Feb-07-16 04:15 PM by Basaglia

I Be HATIN!!!

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2513596 Previous topic | Next topic