Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2499382

Subject: "Can the Dubs catch the Lakers' record for consecutive games won?" Previous topic | Next topic
ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 11:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Can the Dubs catch the Lakers' record for consecutive games won?"

I am seriously entertaining this as a possibility.

They need 13 wins to tie it. They have a five-game roadie:

Raptors
Nets
Pacers
Celtics
Bucks

Then a homestand highlighted by a Finals rematch:

Suns
Bucks
Jazz
Cavs
Kings

They do a Texas two-step with Dallas and Houston. Then they have Denver and Charlotte at home to tie and pass the record respectively.

There are some tough spots there but only one kinda brutal opponent. They have two back-to-backs, both on the road. They play Boston and Milwaukee B2B (good amount of travel for a quick turnaround) and then the two Texas teams back to back, which is often tough.

I am gonna say yes, sure, they do it.

Poll result (5 votes)
Yes (1 votes)Vote
No (4 votes)Vote
Don't call me white! Don't call meeeeeee whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite! (0 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I really don't think any coastal team will do it.
Dec 02nd 2015
According to the NBA, if they beat the Cavs they tie the record
Dec 03rd 2015
yeah i hate the going back to last season shit
Dec 03rd 2015
man if they get past this road trip...
Dec 03rd 2015
of course they can and of course they won't
Dec 03rd 2015
Looks like Klay is starting to play better
Dec 03rd 2015
You always talk about tears...whose? The Clippers?
Dec 03rd 2015
      Not sure how active you are on twitter
Dec 03rd 2015
      I just haven't seen anything outside of the normal hate
Dec 03rd 2015
      Most of whininess was during the off-season
Dec 03rd 2015
           ^^^^2k15 Pats fans
Dec 03rd 2015
                You'd get annoyed too if Ty Fucking Lawson fixed his mouth to talk shit
Dec 03rd 2015
                     Honestly, not really. The peanut gallery does what it does
Dec 03rd 2015
                     I honestly expect better from the players and the coaches.
Dec 03rd 2015
                     Don't forget most major media outlets and their talking heads too
Dec 03rd 2015
                          See, that stuff doesn't really bug me.
Dec 03rd 2015

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43745 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 11:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I really don't think any coastal team will do it. "
In response to Reply # 0

Too much travel. If anyone can though - it's these guys.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 12:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "According to the NBA, if they beat the Cavs they tie the record"
In response to Reply # 0

Apparently the league counts regular season win streaks across seasons for things like this, and the Dubs finished last season with a four game win streak. So if the Dubs beat the Cavs, it'll be 33, and if they beat the Kings it'll make it 34. Don't love that rule, but that's how it is.

But to answer you're question, I doubt they even make it to the Cleveland game undefeated. The Raptors will likely be the first loss, and they could easily drop another to the Pacers or the Bucks.

But there have a grip of games where I thought, "Okay, this will be it..." and they've prevailed. So, fuck it, I kind of suck at these predictions.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 10:30 AM

5. "yeah i hate the going back to last season shit"
In response to Reply # 2

makes no sense to give them credit for regular season games from last year.

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 09:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "man if they get past this road trip..."
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 09:57 AM

4. "of course they can and of course they won't"
In response to Reply # 0

i assume the computer models give them ~65 percent chance, on average, of winning each game.

Can they win a game where they are a 65 percent favorite? of course. can they win 13 such games? of course they can.

the odds of getting all 13 in a row are .65 to the 13th power. that works out to a .36 percent chance. less than one percent.

if they're an 80 percent favorite in each game, it's all the way up to a 5.4 percent chance.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 10:30 AM

6. "Looks like Klay is starting to play better"
In response to Reply # 0

Imagine if he starts playing to his potential

The possibilities ...and the tears

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 11:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "You always talk about tears...whose? The Clippers?"
In response to Reply # 6

I just don't see anyone else really having much vitriol for the W's....they're a very likeable team.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Amritsar
32093 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 12:06 PM

8. "Not sure how active you are on twitter"
In response to Reply # 7

But it's there. Growing little backlash against this undefeated run

Sure as of right now most people like us. But there is a growing undercurrent of hate brewing. Read the replies to ESPN or nba tweets about curry/dubs. Longer we stay undefeated and/or continue to defy people's expectations of this team coming into this season it will grow. Only natural.

Of course I'm not complaining at all. I love it. Wasn't really a fan of the nba collectively patting us on the head and telling us how cute (and how lucky) we were.

Btw it wasn't just doc rivers who said that. You're clearly an nba guy so I KNOW there's no way you believe that. No way

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 12:27 PM

9. "I just haven't seen anything outside of the normal hate"
In response to Reply # 8

That's what I meant...as you said, there's always gonna be some backlash and hating on a great team, comes with the territory. I haven't seen anything outside of that normal variance, outside of Doc and the Clippers (which gives me tremendous enjoyment, especially at GSW-Clippers games where it essentially becomes a road game because all the Laker fans show up and root for the W's LOL).

I'm not active at all on twitter except for using it as an easy way to find newly published research.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

mrhood75
44720 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 01:15 PM

10. "Most of whininess was during the off-season"
In response to Reply # 7

With losers like Doc & the Clippers, Harden, and Ty Lawson talking sideways.

There's been some stuff during the season. LeBron's "They're the healthiest team I've ever seen" was kind of passive aggressive code; he might deny it, but he knows what he was implying.

And some doofus Jazz blogger tried to make a name for himself after the Jazz lost Monday by claiming the Dubs weren't giving the Jazz "their due respect" in the locker room after the win. The most egregious crime: Draymond made an audible "Ha!" when he saw a tweet saying the Jazz "played like champions."

And there's the normal Charles Barkeley b.s., but he's finally starting to tone it down.

But yes, during the season, there's been very little public trash talk of consequence. Because this team is indeed fairly likable. Curry and Klay are about as wholesome as players come. Dray and Bogut come the closest to being "assholes." Speights and maybe Iggy have some edge, but they're mostly just goofs. By in large, the team is made up choir boys (sometimes literally).

-----------------

www.albumism.com

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 01:28 PM

11. "^^^^2k15 Pats fans"
In response to Reply # 10

"THEY DON'T RESPECT US!"

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

mrhood75
44720 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 01:42 PM

12. "You'd get annoyed too if Ty Fucking Lawson fixed his mouth to talk shit"
In response to Reply # 11

about your championship team.

You'll notice no one in the Spurs or Thunder organizations decided to say anything. Why? Because they aren't a collection of losers.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 02:22 PM

13. "Honestly, not really. The peanut gallery does what it does "
In response to Reply # 12

That's never going to bother me because that's to be expected from certain nitwits (pretty similar to OKS lol)

<--The drought is over

L D E A

mrhood75
44720 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 02:32 PM

14. "I honestly expect better from the players and the coaches."
In response to Reply # 13

Seriously, you lost. Or you certainly didn't win the championship. So trying to downplay the team that did is extremely corny. But with the Rockets and the Clippers, I guess there's gotta be some way for those collection of headcases to motivate themselves, so I shouldn't be surprised.

I don't care of the comment section peanut gallery, because, c'mon, who should?

I'd like to say I'd expect better of the media/sports pundits, but the Skip Bayless' of the world have shown that I shouldn't long ago.

I do sorta expect better from Barkeley, but I guess his schtick is so entrenched now that he has to keep it up.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Amritsar
32093 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 02:37 PM

15. "Don't forget most major media outlets and their talking heads too"
In response to Reply # 12

Everyone from Simmons to Amin el Hassen

mrhood75
44720 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 02:44 PM

16. "See, that stuff doesn't really bug me."
In response to Reply # 15

Because I know those guys are just fighting to get noticed and drive up traffic to themselves, i.e., that dick-nose blogger from the Jazz.

If they're not from the Bay, they know part of their job entails saying something controversial, so I understand why they try to Cuban B the Dubs' success. I think it's fucking stupid, but I understand.

Guys like Rivers and Harden and Lawson have no excuses.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2499382 Previous topic | Next topic