Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2498912

Subject: "Price to Sawks. 7/217" Previous topic | Next topic
ErnestLee
Member since Mar 03rd 2003
28533 posts
Tue Dec-01-15 05:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Price to Sawks. 7/217"
Tue Dec-01-15 05:06 PM by ErnestLee

Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox and David Price have agreed to a seven-year, $217 million contract.

---------------------------------------------------------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
wowsers
Dec 01st 2015
Yea, we knew he'd break the bank, but good lord
Dec 01st 2015
      He's really not a good GM
Dec 01st 2015
RE: Price to Sawks. 7/217
Dec 01st 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE4M5iKgZ3k
Dec 01st 2015
pockets = straight
Dec 01st 2015
right? ZERO type of curvature or angling
Dec 02nd 2015
YIKES
Dec 01st 2015
whewwww
Dec 01st 2015
how much money do they have?
Dec 01st 2015
Thanks Toronto
Dec 01st 2015
Your welcome?
Dec 02nd 2015
That seems like a lot of money.
Dec 01st 2015
I'm here to read what Walleye has to say on the matter.
Dec 02nd 2015
Samardzija, fresh off his 4.96 ERA
Dec 02nd 2015
Grienke is the biggest name still left.
Dec 02nd 2015
All this cable money makes my opinion kind of dull
Dec 02nd 2015
      Masterful read there.
Dec 02nd 2015
           You're right - but they're at the far end of the spectrum
Dec 02nd 2015
according to Nightngale (sp?), the Cardinals had him all but wrapped up....
Dec 02nd 2015
Damn, the Mets *might* be able to keep ONE of the Big 3.5
Dec 02nd 2015
Bart?
Dec 02nd 2015

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Tue Dec-01-15 05:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "wowsers"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ErnestLee
Member since Mar 03rd 2003
28533 posts
Tue Dec-01-15 05:09 PM

3. "Yea, we knew he'd break the bank, but good lord"
In response to Reply # 1

---------------------------------------------------------

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66747 posts
Tue Dec-01-15 05:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "He's really not a good GM"
In response to Reply # 3

He just has the best checkbooks all the time.

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Ceej
66747 posts
Tue Dec-01-15 05:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "RE: Price to Sawks. 7/217"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N1CPSD70bY

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Tue Dec-01-15 05:20 PM

5. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE4M5iKgZ3k"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE4M5iKgZ3k

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Tue Dec-01-15 05:21 PM

6. "pockets = straight"
In response to Reply # 0

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 08:52 AM

12. "right? ZERO type of curvature or angling"
In response to Reply # 6

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Tue Dec-01-15 05:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "YIKES"
In response to Reply # 0

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Tue Dec-01-15 05:25 PM

8. "whewwww"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4382 posts
Tue Dec-01-15 06:07 PM

9. "how much money do they have?"
In response to Reply # 0

They spent a boatload last offseason.... on shit

Ceej
66747 posts
Tue Dec-01-15 07:54 PM

10. "Thanks Toronto"
In response to Reply # 0

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 11:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "Your welcome?"
In response to Reply # 10

Keeping him by paying that much made no sense for us. We will need the money to extend the MVP, and resign Jose and Edwin. We just need solid enough pitchers to throw 150+ innings and a solid bullpen. I'm more jealous of the Kimbrel pickup than this. Our offence will get us through games if our pitchers can eat up the innings

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16160 posts
Tue Dec-01-15 08:08 PM

11. "That seems like a lot of money."
In response to Reply # 0

Numba_33
Charter member
19335 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 08:58 AM

13. "I'm here to read what Walleye has to say on the matter."
In response to Reply # 0

Also, what other big name pitchers are on the market?

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 09:54 AM

14. "Samardzija, fresh off his 4.96 ERA"
In response to Reply # 13

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 09:58 AM

15. "Grienke is the biggest name still left. "

Though all the buzz has him going to the Giants.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 10:42 AM

16. "All this cable money makes my opinion kind of dull"

He's a really good pitcher. There are fewer and fewer teams every year who would be genuinely hamstrung by balling out on a seven year contract for a 30 year old pitcher, and even when there were a lot of those teams the Red Sox were never one of them. So, he'll probably be really, really good for a few years and then less good as he declines into middle age. But he's a smart pitcher with more working for him than just a big, fat fastball and profiles as the sort of guy who can succeed while losing a bit of his stuff. And he fits Boston's apparent interest in pursuing special lefties, which is kind of a duh. A "meh" lefty in that park should just hang himself by his shoelaces, but the Price/Lester continuum (Eduardo Rodriguez, they hope) is different.

The fun thing that's happened the last couple years is that these opt-out points, which I used to hate for teams, have actually become a pretty nice safety valve when applied to a real life ace like Price. Price can opt out in three years, and provided he stays his healthy self, he almost certainly will. Salaries will keep going up and that affects the top-shelf talent disproportionately. Look at Zack Greinke, hot shit on the FA market three years ago, equally hot shit now.

The time for restraint will be after the 2018 season. For now, the things that Boston fans can or should worry about are the unpredictable: like Price and his excellent record of health and durability getting a career-altering shoulder injury. It could happen. He could also get hit by a bus or run over his foot with a lawnmower.

So yeah, not a lot to say for a rich team. Throwing a genuine #1 at the top of your rotation doesn't require the same amount of thought as wondering what you're gonna do with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval and David Ortiz and that young outfield on the same roster. Everybody you liked slides back one hypothetical slot and therefore looks better. The pitcher you hated seeing every five days suddenly doesn't have a job.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Numba_33
Charter member
19335 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 11:26 AM

17. "Masterful read there."
In response to Reply # 16

I don't watch baseball regularly, but that was good insight there. Thank you for your time.

Mentioning cable money instantly makes me think of the Yankees since I live in NYC. Like I said, I don't watch baseball, so I could be off, but I'm guessing the Yankees have contracts with some older players they'll have to led ride out before they can spend their way out of their troubles. At also seems as if the Steinbrenner sons are more thoughtful with their money than the father was, but I could be wrong there as well.

To make this response relevant to David Price, doesn't he have issues losing in the playoffs? I remember hearing that on the Dan Patrick Show during the recent playoff run.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 11:41 AM

18. "You're right - but they're at the far end of the spectrum"
In response to Reply # 17
Wed Dec-02-15 11:41 AM by Walleye

>Mentioning cable money instantly makes me think of the Yankees
>since I live in NYC. Like I said, I don't watch baseball, so I
>could be off, but I'm guessing the Yankees have contracts with
>some older players they'll have to led ride out before they
>can spend their way out of their troubles. At also seems as if
>the Steinbrenner sons are more thoughtful with their money
>than the father was, but I could be wrong there as well.

The thing standing in the Yankees' way at the moment isn't an organic budget, but a pretty punitive luxury tax that can (depending on circumstances) nearly double the money spent on on-field personnel. That didn't exist a few years ago, and the Yankees are in pretty much the situation you've described: having to get out from under some contracts that range from untradeable (Rodriguez and Sabathia) to mostly undesireable (McCann, Ellsbury).

So, you're right but I'd attribute it less to thoughtfulness than a new, external financial constraint. And it didn't stop them from the Ellsbury and McCann contracts pretty recently.

This is why 2018 is a more important decision for them than now. He'll likely be excellent, but resisting the impulse to just repeat this deal when he wins a Cy Young in 2018 is going to be very, very tough. But the downside is that they start locking themselves into a Yankees' situation.

>To make this response relevant to David Price, doesn't he have
>issues losing in the playoffs? I remember hearing that on the
>Dan Patrick Show during the recent playoff run.

He has had trouble in the playoffs, but letting that 63 inning sample (spread across a bunch of years) influence their decision seems pre-mature. To put it another way, who else are they going to bet on? Somebody less talented? Kershaw had that reputation until he was excellent in the post-season this year. Ditto Bonds, until 2003 against the Angels.

Chris Young was excellent in the playoffs this year, and he's probably available for a minor league deal and a spring training invite. Over 33 starts, Price is obviously preferable, and then you just figure talent wins over enough post-season reps.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 01:01 PM

19. "according to Nightngale (sp?), the Cardinals had him all but wrapped up...."
In response to Reply # 0

and Boston came in and upped the ante by 30 mil.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

KosherSam
Member since Mar 18th 2004
70132 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 02:46 PM

20. "Damn, the Mets *might* be able to keep ONE of the Big 3.5"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-02-15 02:46 PM by KosherSam

*Jews you*

"this is okp tho, reading is completely optional" (c) desus

Proceed with caution. I am overtly racist.

<-- In Pigpen we trust

Ceej
66747 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 02:50 PM

21. "Bart?"
In response to Reply # 20

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2498912 Previous topic | Next topic