Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2490169

Subject: ""You'll Be Screaming Shortie No Mas!"- 2015-16 Kentucky Wildcats Post" Previous topic | Next topic
TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Nov-03-15 08:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
""You'll Be Screaming Shortie No Mas!"- 2015-16 Kentucky Wildcats Post"
Tue Nov-03-15 08:45 AM by TheRealBillyOcean

Hall of Fame coach John Calipari and the boys are back at it again after an anti-climatic end to a phenomenal season.

Will they go undefeated? Probably not. They have a shot though.

Will they be better than last year's team? Probably.

Are you gonna be mad? Definitely.

The rotation will be tighter, but the stars are still there.

Let's get the break down from the top to the bottom.

Tyler Ulis - the head of the monster. Our most important and toughest player is also the smallest and smartest. Best pg in the country. He can do everything a lead guard should do.

Alex Poythress - We need Poy to come back to form. Sorely missed him last year. And probably the only reason we didn't hang a banner last year. He's showing off a 3 point stroke we haven't seen since Freshman year. Gonna need him to board and be a monster.

Marcus Lee - A pogo stick with a mohawk. Block. Board. Dunk. Block. Board. Dunk.

Skal Labissierre - Could challenge for the #1 pick in the draft. Smooth big with a silky jumper. He glides around the court.

Jamal Murray - Could ALSO challenge for the #1 pick in the draft. The Canadian combo guard might be the best Cal has had.

Isaiah Briscoe - Boogie from NJ. Haven't had a player like this in a long ass time. A big guard who is unstoppable going to the rack and finished. I hope he shakes the shit out of other guards this year. My dude has lost a lot of weight and is ready to do work. People are sleeping.

Charles Matthews - Speaking of sleeping, mf's are unconscious on Charles. Now they starting to come back around again. He won't be at UK for long. Maybe 2 seasons. Long rangy wing, who will defend and finish.

Isaac Humphries - Legit seven footer from Australia. Great touch. You thought we wasn't gonna have size?

Tai Wynard - A big "scrong" ass kid from New Zealand. He'll be hear 2nd semester.

Mychal Mulder - A transfer who is a deadly shooter. And underrated athlete.

Derek Willis - Could this be the year the 6'9 Kentucky kid gets some tick?

Dominique Hawkins - Another Kentucky kid. Defends.

We gonna fuck a lot of teams up. We got shooters, bigs, and great ball handlers.

Good luck beating that.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Number team in the country and a visit from the God.
Nov 25th 2015
Opening conference play and Tyler goes Tyler
Jan 03rd 2016
Alex Poythress named Academic All-American
Mar 03rd 2016
Senior Day: So long Alex! It's been a great 4 years #BBN
Mar 05th 2016
Light coming on for Skal the last couple of games.
Mar 05th 2016
And I could not be any happier. He's playing & having fun.
Mar 05th 2016
      He's a facing-the-basket guy.
Mar 05th 2016
           Yep, they wanted him to be Davis or KAT, when he's Cliff Robinson
Mar 05th 2016
Tyler Ulis named SEC Player and Defensive Player of the Year
Mar 08th 2016
Derek Willis - Native American Hooper **Swipe***
Mar 15th 2016
When does the screaming start?
Mar 19th 2016
Already happened. My guy was an All-American.
Mar 19th 2016
lol
Mar 19th 2016

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed Nov-25-15 05:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Number team in the country and a visit from the God. "
In response to Reply # 0

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/pat-riley-is-hanging-out-at-kentuckys-practice-today/

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Sun Jan-03-16 10:50 AM

2. "Opening conference play and Tyler goes Tyler "
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/RxEC-HMH-so

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Mar-03-16 09:45 PM

3. "Alex Poythress named Academic All-American"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2016/03/03/uks-poythress-academic-all-american/81276758/

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Sat Mar-05-16 12:24 PM

4. "Senior Day: So long Alex! It's been a great 4 years #BBN"
In response to Reply # 0

My favorite regular season game of the season. We say goodbye to players who gave their all. We rarely have many seniors or pivotal ones like Alex Poythress. He was a great player on the court and exemplary in the classroom. I know he'll succeed in anything he chooses. Great kid.

Swipe of all of Alex's teammates talking about him.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/what-alex-poythress-means-to-his-brothers-in-their-own-words/

What Alex Poythress Means To His “Brothers,” In Their Own Words
By Drew Franklin on ©March 04th, 2016 @ 11:00pm Posted in Basketball, Main, Top Story | 45 Responses

Everyone loves Alex Poythress. It’s impossible not to. He is the perfect example of a student-athlete, a role model to youngsters all across the bluegrass, and one of the most athletic players to ever don the blue and white. He’s an even better person behind the scenes, too — by all accounts.

But as much as the fans love Alex Poythress, his teammates, the ones who know him best, love him even more. Poythress has played with several of those guys since his freshman season at Lexington in 2012-13, and he means the world to all of them.

So we tracked them all down to find out why.

Here is what Alex Poythress means to his “brothers,” in their own words…

“Alex is one of the most humble guys I’ve ever played with. Class act on and off the court.”

– Nerlens Noel

“Alex is a very easy going person with a huge heart. He has been nothing but a great friend and little brother to me since the day I met him and I feel as if I needed anything he would go above and beyond to help me out…. All around great dude and competitor.”

– Julius Mays

ap-hood
“Out of all the teammates I have had, AP is one of the ones who not only made me a better basketball player, but a better person. I can never thank him enough for that.”

– Jon Hood

“Alex is my dog forever. Nothing but great things ahead for him!”

– Archie Goodwin

“I had the opportunity to play with AP his freshman year. He was one of the most unselfish teammates I ever had. It was great to see his growth over the last four years as a player because I know how hard he’s worked. He will forever be a brother of mine.”

– Twany Beckham

“Alex is one of the nicest and greatest teammates I was able to play with at UK. He’s terrible at Mario Kart though.”

– Jarrod Polson

CoachCal.com
“Wish I could be there with AP on senior day because I consider him one of my best friends. One of the nicest guys I’ve ever been around but he’d be the first one to dunk on you. Will always remember this quote he always used to use: courage doesn’t always roar. Think it describes him perfectly because he didn’t have to be the most talkative guy on the court because he let his game do the talking for him. He’s a straight beast. No matter what happens with this game for the both of us, I know I’ll have him as a lifetime friend along with all the other guys I played with at UK.”

– Kyle Wiltjer

Clay Jackson | CentralKyNews.com
“I’ve never been around a player so respected and appreciated by all his teammates and coaches. AP is the ultimate role model.”

– Sam Malone

@brianlong32
@brianlong32
“Proud of Alex for everything he’s accomplished on and off the court in the last four years and for fighting through a lot adversity.”

– Brian Long

poythress-lyles
“Through all the adversity he faced he always kept a positive attitude and a smile on his face!”

– Trey Lyles

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 1.30.50 PM
“AP is one of the most grounded human beings I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Phenomenal athlete, dedicated teammate, but an even better friend. Walking alongside him for the majority of his journey here in Lexington was a blessing. I can’t wait to see what the future hold for him. Courage doesn’t always roar.”

– Tod Lanter

“AP is one of the funniest, nicest people I have had in my life. That’s my brother right there. He always works hard and pushed me to work hard and always was a person I can talk to about anything”

– Dakari Johnson

ap-book
“I didn’t get to play with Alex much due to his injury but when he got hurt it made us as a team want to win for him. That’s how hurt we were. He is our brother and we all knew a big season was coming from him. For it to end early killed a lot of us. Even with his injury, Alex still continued to support us to the max. I saw him in the training room everyday rehabbing to get back to this point — didn’t look too fun, he was yelling in pain. Now I wish the best for him and his family. Will always be my brotha.”

– Devin Booker

“The guy is one of the best teammates I’ve played with and an even better person to be around.”

– Aaron Harrison

Kevin C. Cox | Getty Images
“Alex is one of my best friends in the world, one of the strongest people I have ever met, a great basketball player and even better man.”

– Andrew Harrison

“AP is a very hardworking and humble. He is one of my very best friends , he will always be one of my brothers we’ve been through a lot together . We went from literally the bottom to the top in the country making history . Congrats on your senior night.”

– Willie Cauley-Stein

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 12.08.26 PM
“Alex wasn’t special because of his athletic ability or basketball ability. Alex was special because he was Alex. One of the greatest teammates I’ve ever had and one of the best humans I’ve ever met.”

– Karl-Anthony Towns

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sat Mar-05-16 03:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Light coming on for Skal the last couple of games."
In response to Reply # 0

He's been terrific in this LSU game. Coming on at the right time.

I'm not buying that he's fallen out of the lotto either.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Sat Mar-05-16 04:14 PM

6. "And I could not be any happier. He's playing & having fun."
In response to Reply # 5

Jumper is wet.

Right on time for the SEC Tourney.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sat Mar-05-16 04:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "He's a facing-the-basket guy."
In response to Reply # 6

It's such a matchup nightmare. What are you going to do against a guy that can move like that and shoot like that at that size?

I'm most impressed with his defensive improvement. I never really thought his offense was bad, he was just always so foul-prone and so slow to rotate and get into the proper position. He's improved that tremendously (at least in the last two games).

He keeps playing like that, this team will live up to its preseason potential.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Sat Mar-05-16 04:38 PM

8. "Yep, they wanted him to be Davis or KAT, when he's Cliff Robinson"
In response to Reply # 7

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Mar-08-16 03:10 PM

9. "Tyler Ulis named SEC Player and Defensive Player of the Year"
In response to Reply # 0

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Mar-15-16 02:17 PM

10. "Derek Willis - Native American Hooper **Swipe***"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/kentucky-wildcats-derek-willis-loveable-nerd-john-calipari-031516

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Derek Willis is sitting in the film room at Kentucky's practice facility when he lifts up his ash-gray Kentucky hoodie. He's showing off the biggest of his dozen or so tattoos: A sugar skull that's surrounded by a giant owl. The owl's spread-out wings stretch from one shoulder to the other, its tailfeathers reaching down to Willis' abs. It represents wisdom, Willis says.

Tattoos cover the Kentucky junior forward's body. Most of them are Native American-themed: A wolf on his rib cage. A Native American headdress on his left shoulder. Another skull on his right shoulder. A Dreamcatcher on his left forearm.

They are tattoos that are atypical for a college basketball player, and they reflect Willis' atypical path to where he stands today, which is perhaps as the unexpected key to No. 10 Kentucky's NCAA tournament success.

Willis is one of only a handful of Division-I basketball players who are Native American. His mother, Trudy, belongs to three tribes: Southern Arapahoe, Pawnee and Creek. As a kid, before his family moved back to Mt. Washington, Ky., Willis lived for several years on the Wind River Indian Reservation in central Wyoming, the seventh-largest reservation in the country. His favorite childhood memories are from that reservation: Living on a big parcel of land on the edge of the reservation, going to Sundance Festivals where participants would have a big meal and then pray and drink only water for three days straight.

Andy Lyons/Getty Images
"I take pride in my heritage," Willis says. "I kind of got away from it after we moved back to Kentucky, did my own thing, until now. I thought it was pretty neat, the stories you hear about. Those are the stories behind my tattoos."

Willis' heritage could just be a neat little biographical item, nothing more, except his ethnic otherness -- identifying with one of America's most oppressed minority classes -- signifies just how much of an individual Willis is, truly somebody who marches to the beat of his own drum. While other highly rated high school basketball players revel in the attention of the recruiting process, Willis hated every minute of it. He's from a family of Louisville diehards, but he decided to choose Kentucky. His music tastes range from death metal to hip hop: loves Young Thug, hates Kanye. As an athlete he was in the popular group in high school, but he felt more at home with the nerds -- even becoming a highly skilled player in Yu-Gi-Oh!, a Japanese manga series that became a hugely popular trading card game. He learned the game from a classmate in his computer class. He traveled across the nation to play in Yu-Gi-Oh! tournaments as well as to play in AAU tournaments.

"Derek was the only kid in the nation who was nationally ranked in basketball and in Yu-Gi-Oh!," laughed his father, Del Willis.

"Hell yeah, I'm definitely a nerd," the 20-year-old Willis said. "I love superhero movies. Deadpool was great. I'm into some weird stuff. I just read something about how gravitational waves just helped prove that there is a center to the universe. I used to watch lots of anime. I love cartoons like 'Adventure Time' and 'Soul Eater.' "

Derek was the only kid in the nation who was nationally ranked in basketball and in Yu-Gi-Oh!
Derek's father, Del Willis.

As unique of an individual as Willis is in college basketball, Willis is just as unique of a weapon for this Kentucky team. His ability as a stretch four -- he's shooting a team-high 44 percent from three, even better than certain lottery pick Jamal Murray -- brings out a new and different dimension to this Kentucky team. The threat of Willis making threes helps open clogged driving lanes for Kentucky's best-in-college-hoops backcourt of Murray, point guard Tyler Ulis and Isaiah Briscoe. To use a gaming analogy, Willis' powers help unlock a new dimension in this Kentucky team that they quite clearly lacked when he missed three games recently with an injury. Kentucky head coach John Calipari has been encouraging him to shoot as much as possible when he's on the floor.

"A big part of (our success) has been putting Derek Willis in the role that he's in," Calipari told reporters earlier this season. "It's changed us. It's just changed our team. ... He made us a different team."

The ankle injury made Willis realize just how big of a microscope is on Kentucky players. A photograph he put on Snapchat of his swollen ankle went viral; it shook Willis enough that he deleted the Snapchat account shortly after. When he walked into Rupp Arena with a boot on his foot before a recent game, he was shocked at how many people took photographs of him.

Sure, he knew being a Kentucky basketball player brought with it special attentions. He remembers when he was in high school and went out with some friends to Applebee's. He had just committed to Kentucky. An older woman came up to him. She was so nervous that her hands were shaking: "And she just was all, 'Are you Derek Willis?' And I'm like, 'Hey, I'm just an 18-year-old kid!' It's so bizarre."

Andy Lyons/Getty Images
The Kentucky mystique is not natural for Willis. He's not someone who cares about the glitz. Part of why he took up playing Yu-Gi-Oh! in high school was to test if the popular crowd thought differently of him.

"He's never been one to give into peer pressure," his father said. "He's always been his own man. I've always told him, 'Never let people make you do things you don't want to do.' "

It was time for Willis to go. His ankle was still swollen, but he was trying a new remedy for it to heal more quickly: Soak a brown paper bag in vinegar, wrap it around his ankle and it would heal right up. Needless to say, this tactic did not come from the Kentucky athletic trainers. "Someone told me it would work," Willis shrugs.

Like his father said: He's his own man.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sat Mar-19-16 09:08 PM

11. "When does the screaming start?"
In response to Reply # 0

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Sat Mar-19-16 09:24 PM

12. "Already happened. My guy was an All-American. "
In response to Reply # 11

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Sat Mar-19-16 11:17 PM

13. "lol "
In response to Reply # 11

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2490169 Previous topic | Next topic