Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2483409

Subject: "Ol' Ball Coach hangin up his whistle and visor..Spurrier to retire" Previous topic | Next topic
guru0509
Charter member
45358 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 08:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Ol' Ball Coach hangin up his whistle and visor..Spurrier to retire"
Mon Oct-12-15 08:26 PM by guru0509

Update: In last 48 hours, 3 head coaches fired, HBC retiring, an AD resigns & starting QB on No. 8 team out for year because of PEDs #ugh
- @McMurphyESPN

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/10/12/9016595/steve-spurrier-retire-south-carolina-football

South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier is retiring, according to Sports Illustrated's Thayer Evans and Rivals.com's South Carolina site.

"No timeline immediately known. He informed team tonight," according to GamecockCentral.com's Chris Clark.

Spurrier has a 228–89–2 record as a college head coach, finding measures of rarely precedented success at each of Duke, Florida and his current gig. The 1996 national championship, seven conference titles and nine conference coach of the year awards lead his résumé.

The 1966 Heisman Trophy winner will be remembered as the greatest coach in the history of two SEC East programs to this point. He's beloved by Gators and Gamecocks alike; our Carolina site has a collection of stories on Spurrier's decade, and the Florida fans at EDSBS regularly mimic his way with really mean words.

There's a clear reason for that part, as Spurrier's perhaps the best quote in college football history. Just last week, he dropped off some jewels at SEC Media Days, then scooted out to Arby's, all of which has become an annual tradition.

OUR SOUTH CAROLINA BLOG
South Carolina Gamecocks blog Garnet And Black Attack
Spurrier's used his platform for more than just sniping at Tennessee as of late, advocating repeatedly for players to get a bigger piece of the college sports revenue pie and calling for the takedown of South Carolina's Confederate flag eight years before it actually happened.

The golf enthusiast also coached Washington's NFL team for a couple years in there, but nobody really cares about that much.

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Good luck Coach
Oct 12th 2015
respect to my all time favorite asshole.
Oct 12th 2015
Kinda hated him but always respected him. Hope he is feeling well
Oct 13th 2015
Favorite HBC one-liner...
Oct 13th 2015
lol
Oct 13th 2015
We'll always have Osaka!
Oct 13th 2015
he needs to be on ESPN immediately.
Oct 14th 2015
This would be GOLDEN!
Oct 14th 2015
agreed
Oct 14th 2015
Step aside, Lou Holtz.
Oct 14th 2015
      damn was just about to say spurrier has a dr. lou career trajectory
Oct 14th 2015

bnicedh
Charter member
4667 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 10:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Good luck Coach"
In response to Reply # 0

Always was a fan of his. Could kinda tell he wasn't 'all there' this year but hey, when you're done you're done. Got the most out of this profession. Enjoy Retirement!

dillinjah
Charter member
9029 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 10:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "respect to my all time favorite asshole."
In response to Reply # 0

It was always strange to see him in the opposing colors whilst visiting the Swamp. Thankfully that won't happen again.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 12:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Kinda hated him but always respected him. Hope he is feeling well"
In response to Reply # 0

and can enjoy retirement. My buddy's dad was a year behind him at UF and never shuts up about his career as a player (except when he talks about ludes or some girl's bush). ah, the 60s.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 08:31 AM

4. "Favorite HBC one-liner..."
In response to Reply # 0

On a fire at the Auburn football dorm that destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet."

Will be missed.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 04:17 PM

6. "lol"
In response to Reply # 4

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 08:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "We'll always have Osaka! "
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Wed Oct-14-15 12:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "he needs to be on ESPN immediately."
In response to Reply # 0

amazing potential as an analyst.

--------

bnicedh
Charter member
4667 posts
Wed Oct-14-15 02:47 PM

8. "This would be GOLDEN!"
In response to Reply # 7

dillinjah
Charter member
9029 posts
Wed Oct-14-15 04:52 PM

9. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 7

>amazing potential as an analyst.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Oct-14-15 07:58 PM

10. "Step aside, Lou Holtz."
In response to Reply # 7

3xKrazy
Charter member
21584 posts
Wed Oct-14-15 08:59 PM

11. "damn was just about to say spurrier has a dr. lou career trajectory"
In response to Reply # 10

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2483409 Previous topic | Next topic