Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2479513

Subject: "P.S. its NBA MEdia Day for most the League: 15-16 Pre-season Chatter" Previous topic | Next topic
ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Mon Sep-28-15 11:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"P.S. its NBA MEdia Day for most the League: 15-16 Pre-season Chatter"

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
running thru the 6 w/ better-than-grandmama
Sep 28th 2015
At least he gets a passionate hug from Drake.
Sep 28th 2015
As I prefer to call it, the day immediately before reality sets in.
Sep 28th 2015
10 observations from Pistons media day:
Sep 28th 2015
before the season gets started, what rules would you like to see changed...
Sep 29th 2015
do they have to be realistic?
Sep 29th 2015
RE: do they have to be realistic?
Sep 29th 2015
lol that's what the rule is...refs jjust need to be better.
Oct 01st 2015
RE: before the season gets started, what rules would you like to see cha...
Sep 30th 2015
Kyrie to drive less, pass more
Sep 29th 2015
That's very insightful.
Sep 29th 2015
Media Day Interviews (link)
Sep 29th 2015
AKA the last day I watch Sportscenter
Sep 29th 2015
its been a solid 2 years since i watched any CFB shows
Oct 03rd 2015
word is the #2KnicksReunion is gonna be deferred
Sep 29th 2015
Pistons rookie Johnson impresses on first day of camp
Sep 29th 2015
RE: Pistons rookie Johnson impresses on first day of camp
Sep 29th 2015
      i kind of like that small ball lineup
Oct 03rd 2015
Cavs practice to be Facebook's first live sports simulcast
Sep 29th 2015
Dorrell Wright's Open Letter to Delon about Rookie year
Sep 30th 2015
Proki doing Russian Bear Circus Tricks
Sep 30th 2015
Some bits from the Wolves live training camp the other day
Oct 01st 2015
Harden adn Adidas make it official
Oct 01st 2015
:)
Oct 02nd 2015
Ps game 1 is on now: Denver vs clippers
Oct 02nd 2015
Deangelo went down hard and was helped off
Oct 06th 2015

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Mon Sep-28-15 11:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "running thru the 6 w/ better-than-grandmama "
In response to Reply # 0

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13761389/anthony-bennett-signs-toronto-raptors

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon Sep-28-15 11:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "At least he gets a passionate hug from Drake."
In response to Reply # 1
Mon Sep-28-15 11:19 PM by ConcreteCharlie

Number one to the scrap heap, real quick, real quick on that bust shit

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Sep-28-15 11:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "As I prefer to call it, the day immediately before reality sets in."
In response to Reply # 0

Tomorrow at least two thirds of the league will recognize they are already dead in the water.

JBoogs
Charter member
31222 posts
Mon Sep-28-15 11:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "10 observations from Pistons media day:"
In response to Reply # 0

1. Leadership will not be an issue this season

Wins or losses, I've got no idea. But one thing that is easily apparent is that there will not be a leadership deficit on this team. In previous years, you had Josh Smith mumble about being a leader because he's a veteran, Brandon Jennings reluctantly saying he needed to step up and Andre Drummond saying he wanted to be the team's leader. But the results on the floor showed that the team was rudderless.

That will not be an issue this season. Reggie Jackson exudes confidence and, more importantly, authority. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope seems more confident and intense than ever. And Drummond had a seriousness and forcefulness I hadn't seen before.

2. KCP doesn't want anyone taking his starting gig

Sometimes a laugh and a long silence says more than words could. When asked about SVG's comments about Johnson playing shooting guard, KCP kept mostly to himself before eventually saying he took the comments to heart. But he didn't seem too pleased about his coach's comments.

3. Stanley Johnson's funky shooting motion isn't going anywhere

Johnson did not seem inclined to drastically change his mechanics during his rookie year. Johnson said shooting coach Dave Hopla is not trying to eliminate his funky delivery and instead is focused on making it more consistent, and giving Johnson better lift with his legs. When asked about coaches' previous attempts to remake his shot, Johnson said that when it stopped going in he'd just go back to what worked.

4. Expect a lot more Andre Drummond post ups

While Drummond is never going to give Detroit what Greg Monroe did on the block, Van Gundy was pretty effusive in his praise of Drummond's post-game development as the year went on last season.

5. Aron Baynes might show more than you think

When Baynes talked about why he was so excited to come to Detroit he talked about what a great reputation Van Gundy has among players, and also mentioned that he was excited because Van Gundy told him the Pistons wanted him not for what he did so well in San Antonio but for the expanded, versatile game he showed off as part of his national team in Australia.

6. Everything just makes sense

Maybe the Pistons sniff .500, maybe they make the playoffs, maybe they don't. But one thing is certain -- all the pieces make sense. No big three lineup, no spacing issues, no selfish reputations. When players spoke they talked about how easily it would be to mesh their skills with the complementary skills of teammates -- mostly Drummond and Jackson. To hear Anthony Tolliver, Ersan Illyasova and Jodie Meeks talk about how easily they were going to get catch-and-shoot chances, and to hear Marcus Morris talk about spotting up or hitting the block depending on the matchup .... it all just made so much sense. A refreshing change of pace from previous seasons.

7. These guys like each other

Every player talked about bonding together and pushing each other. But more than that, the guys you would think Detroit views as its core -- Drummond, Jackson and KCP -- seem incredibly close. Maybe it just seems friendlier because the elephant in the room -- Josh Smith -- is gone. But there just seemed to be an ease in the Palace on Monday.

8. Secondary ball handling is still going to be an issue

Just about every player talked about working on their ball-handling this offseason, which is all well and good, but it indicates that Van Gundy still hasn't zeroed in on a guy he can trust when teams key in on Jackson. KCP, Meeks, Morris and Steve Blake all talked about handling the ball and playing alongside a point guard. One or more of those guys is going to need to step up or Detroit will be an easy puzzle to solve.

9. Teammates are extremely impressed with rookie Stanley Johnson

It's always smart to temper expectations when talking about rookies, but I'm excited to see what Johnson can do in his inaugural NBA season. Teammates, most unprompted, were quick to praise Johnson. Think about a player with some mix of Brandon Knight's work ethic, KCP's defense and Monroe's day-one NBA ability and you'll have some idea of the best-case scenario for Johnson. He's not going to be a star out of the gate or anything, but he certainly seems to have the right mix of skills and opportunity to be a player to keep an eye on for rookie of the year.

10. As usual, I am way too optimistic

These damn Pistons get me every year.

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2015/9/28/9411977/pistons-media-day-10-observations

mashpg89
Member since Dec 08th 2004
2867 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 01:27 AM

5. "before the season gets started, what rules would you like to see changed..."
In response to Reply # 0

My biggest three are:

1. Extend the borders of the court, FIBA style. Watching a few Euroleague games this summer I realized how much more space players have around the court. It encourages more hustle and is safer for the players. Paul George & his leg, Bron cutting his head open in the Finals on a camera, it's time to give the players room enough to dive for lose balls.

2. Only reward FT's on jumpshots if they have normal shooting motion. This will get rid of the annoying, pump fake and jump three feet in the direction of a defender to get to the line move that's rampant nowadays. It may be difficult, but they did something similar a few years ago when they put in a rule to stop the rip through move. Give the refs the same freedom to determine whether or not it's a normal shooting motion, and have it be a side out foul if it's not.

3. Eliminate the scenario where coaches can foul when up 3 and the game is on the line. I've always hated this play as a fan, it takes away from the excitement of the game. If it's an intentional foul under 30 seconds or whatever with the fouling team up 3, give the other team one FT and the ball back.

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 09:50 AM

10. "do they have to be realistic?"
In response to Reply # 5

>My biggest three are:
>
>1. Extend the borders of the court, FIBA style. Watching a few
>Euroleague games this summer I realized how much more space
>players have around the court. It encourages more hustle and
>is safer for the players. Paul George & his leg, Bron cutting
>his head open in the Finals on a camera, it's time to give the
>players room enough to dive for lose balls.

Yea sideline too... I mean stepping out of bounds on the sideline is so stupid when youre stepping back to plant and go to the hoop. Shit isnt easy when you have size 17 sneakers

>
>2. Only reward FT's on jumpshots if they have normal shooting
>motion. This will get rid of the annoying, pump fake and jump
>three feet in the direction of a defender to get to the line
>move that's rampant nowadays. It may be difficult, but they
>did something similar a few years ago when they put in a rule
>to stop the rip through move. Give the refs the same freedom
>to determine whether or not it's a normal shooting motion, and
>have it be a side out foul if it's not.
>

EHH i dont mind this. Normal shooting motion could be a hard judgement call.
I would just say if you jump into the defender once you get him in the air, no foul on either party - play on unless its egrigious.

>3. Eliminate the scenario where coaches can foul when up 3 and
>the game is on the line. I've always hated this play as a fan,
>it takes away from the excitement of the game. If it's an
>intentional foul under 30 seconds or whatever with the fouling
>team up 3, give the other team one FT and the ball back.

Dont mind this at all. Coaches still only use it 35-40% of the time if that. It adds a level of strategy --like i said not a huge deal cause a lot of coaches dont use it.

For me these arent realistic but id love

1 and 1 Fts til you hit a double bonus. I hate automatic 2 fts on shooting penalty.

If you slide under a player who is already in the air it should be a block not a player control foul.

Once a guy launches he cant really change his flight pattern, if you slide under him thats on you. Should be a defensive foul.

---

mashpg89
2867 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 10:52 AM

11. "RE: do they have to be realistic?"
In response to Reply # 10

>EHH i dont mind this. Normal shooting motion could be a hard
>judgement call.
>I would just say if you jump into the defender once you get
>him in the air, no foul on either party - play on unless its
>egrigious.

I see this at least 3x a game (maybe cause Mirotic does it a lot). It's pretty simple, from a set shot all players basically jump straight up when they're trying to get a shot off. They don't jump to the left or right, and don't jump forward 2 feet. If it's a legitimate attempt at a shot then reward them FTs, if it's just an attempt to draw contact, train the refs to see it as such and give them the ball side out or no call. The refs were trained to determine the same factors for the rip through move, so it's plausible.

>For me these arent realistic but id love
>
>1 and 1 Fts til you hit a double bonus. I hate automatic 2 fts
>on shooting penalty.

I'm down with anything that would speed the game up, especially for the first 3 quartes.

>If you slide under a player who is already in the air it
>should be a block not a player control foul.
>
>Once a guy launches he cant really change his flight pattern,
>if you slide under him thats on you. Should be a defensive
>foul.

haha, pretty sure that's already a rule:

A defensive player must allow an alighted player the distance to land and then stop or change direction when the offensive player is outside the lower defensive box.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_c.html?nav=ArticleList

totally agreed though, in fact I'd love to see what an NBA game is like without any charges.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 07:54 AM

20. "lol that's what the rule is...refs jjust need to be better."
In response to Reply # 10

>If you slide under a player who is already in the air it should be a block not a player control foul.

Once a guy launches he cant really change his flight pattern, if you slide under him thats on you. Should be a defensive foul.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Sep-30-15 04:08 PM

18. "RE: before the season gets started, what rules would you like to see cha..."
In response to Reply # 5

>My biggest three are:
>
>1. Extend the borders of the court, FIBA style. Watching a few
>Euroleague games this summer I realized how much more space
>players have around the court. It encourages more hustle and
>is safer for the players. Paul George & his leg, Bron cutting
>his head open in the Finals on a camera, it's time to give the
>players room enough to dive for lose balls.

I have said for probably 20 years that court needs to be WIDER. Wider floor, more space for the corner three (should be same distance as top of key with a little space behind it, too).

>2. Only reward FT's on jumpshots if they have normal shooting
>motion. This will get rid of the annoying, pump fake and jump
>three feet in the direction of a defender to get to the line
>move that's rampant nowadays. It may be difficult, but they
>did something similar a few years ago when they put in a rule
>to stop the rip through move. Give the refs the same freedom
>to determine whether or not it's a normal shooting motion, and
>have it be a side out foul if it's not.

IMO this need not be a rule change as much as an enforcement shift. Yes, they should be more strict.

>3. Eliminate the scenario where coaches can foul when up 3 and
>the game is on the line. I've always hated this play as a fan,
>it takes away from the excitement of the game. If it's an
>intentional foul under 30 seconds or whatever with the fouling
>team up 3, give the other team one FT and the ball back.

IMO that is overblown. You should only foul with about 3 seconds left or less and by that point you're taking a big risk of committing a shooting foul (see rule change #2 lol). Too many announcers suggest this strategy and, in my opinion, it's very valid when used correctly and very risky when used incorrectly. For those reasons I see no need for a rule change nor is there a feasible way to institute one IMO

okayplayery
Member since Aug 25th 2012
518 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 05:16 AM

6. "Kyrie to drive less, pass more"
In response to Reply # 0

Recovering from a broken kneecap suffered during the NBA Finals, Irving said Monday that he spent part of the offseason reviewing film and looking for ways to avoid the hard falls that have contributed to a string of injuries over the first four years of his career.

"For me it's about ... staying off the floor a little bit more," Irving said. "It's how can I be better in terms of avoiding injuries going to the basket and falling on the floor. I enjoy finishing around the big men, but honestly I'm trying to stay off the floor. I'm trying to get better in that aspect."

Irving has missed an average of 14 regular-season games per year due to injuries to both shoulders, both knees, his right foot, a broken right hand, a broken left index finger and multiple facial fractures. In the playoffs for the first time last season, he missed seven games and was unable to finish two others because of foot and knee issues.

Part of the reason for his long injury list is his willingness to attack the basket and finish in traffic, two areas at which he excels. Irving shot 53 percent on shots within 10 feet of the basket last season and 50 percent with defenders within two feet of him, according to the NBA.

"I don't play above the rim. I'm not a lot faster than anyone else," Irving said. "I'm not going to stop trying to get to the basket. I don't want to stay away, but in terms of going in there every single time -- especially with the centers and power forwards we have -- I don't have to do it every single time.

Numba_33
Charter member
19337 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 08:00 AM

7. "That's very insightful."
In response to Reply # 6

As much as I like seeing him break defenders down on the dribble and penetrate, that sounds very astute. Going to the bucket and constantly falling to the floor probably took years off Dwayne Wade's career. I wonder if Harden will heed Irving's words there since a majority of Harden's game is going to the bucket and drawing contact. I suppose it'll be somewhat harder for Harden to lessen that aspect of his game compared to Irving since the Rockets have less offensive firepower than the Cavs.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

mashpg89
2867 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 08:13 AM

8. "Media Day Interviews (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNHpt3k-ALq5mMfbEZf7duQ/videos?shelf_id=1&view=0&sort=dd

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 09:35 AM

9. "AKA the last day I watch Sportscenter "
In response to Reply # 0

ESPN's basketball "analysis" is so mind-numbingly dumb with the force feeding of narratives.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35272 posts
Sat Oct-03-15 10:03 AM

25. "its been a solid 2 years since i watched any CFB shows"
In response to Reply # 9

Just games and pressers now

And I LOVE it

If there is a compelling gameday human interest story ill watch that later online

Not to shift the focus from your example, but basically i know exactly what you mean

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 01:25 PM

12. "word is the #2KnicksReunion is gonna be deferred"
In response to Reply # 0

Shump gonna be out 12 weeks post injuries sustained in practice

JBoogs
Charter member
31222 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 01:27 PM

13. "Pistons rookie Johnson impresses on first day of camp"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2015/09/29/stanley-johnson-detroit-pistons/73033506/

Detroit Pistons coach Stan Van Gundy isn't normally quick with compliments.

But he got right to the point today when asked about rookie Stanley Johnson's first practice.

"He looked good," Van Gundy said after the first practice of training camp. "He played very, very well. He was one of the better players in the little bit of 5-on-5 we did."

The news will only add to the excitement surrounding the Pistons' first-round pick who excelled during summer-league action and through pre-camp drills.

Johnson knows the score. Extensive playing time for 19-year-old rookies can scarce. But Johnson doesn't plan on being the average rookie.

He plans on competing, fighting and scratching for playing time during training camp. And he plans on competing and winning a role by the time the Pistons open the season Oct. 27 at Atlanta.

"For me, every day in practice, if you're not wearing the same color jersey as me, you're my competitor," Johnson said the team's media day Monday. "I think there are some guys on the team that feel that way as well. In practice, you want to have that kind of intensity about each other to make us better because on a nightly basis we're going to be competitors.

"For us to come to practice and be nice and not throw elbows, not dive on the floor, not try to win every drill, you're selling it short. I think Stan wants us to be that way as well. I think it's going to be fun competing for everything, really.

"I think the start of preseason and training camp and the start of the regular season will be more impressive if I can come out and play well similar to summer league."

JBoogs
Charter member
31222 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 02:04 PM

14. "RE: Pistons rookie Johnson impresses on first day of camp"
In response to Reply # 13

If the first practice is any indication, things are starting to come easy for Pistons rookie forward Stanley Johnson.

The Pistons opened training camp Tuesday morning with plenty of new faces, but Johnson, the first-round pick from Arizona, was one of the standouts in the limited time of the team scrimmage.

After making strides in summer-league play, there were no first-day jitters for Johnson, who made an impression on coach Stan Van Gundy.

“He looked good; he played very, very well. He was one of the better players in the little bit of 5-on-5 we did,” Van Gundy said. “He’s got to work on building his defensive habits but his competitiveness is there and he knows how to play the game, so he has a little bit of a head start.”

While most of the focus on Tuesday was on teaching and getting players acclimated to working with each other, there were about 25 minutes left for some live action.

Johnson said he was teamed with Reggie Jackson, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Marcus Morris and Ersan Ilyasova but didn’t worry about trying to do too much; rather, he wanted to get in the flow of the game and let the plays come to him.

“No nerves. It’s just basketball,” Johnson said. “I expect to play to the best of my abilities. As long as I can handle my business and control what I can control, I’ll be fine.

“When the plays came to me, I just made the play I could make. We have Reggie on the ball making plays for me and Dre (Drummond) makes it easier on me as well. It’s not just me out there playing.”

There’s plenty more for him to learn, but with his well-rounded game, Johnson was able to excel in many areas, one of the things that enticed the Pistons to take him with the No. 8 overall pick instead of some of the other options.

Those skills came out on the first day of practice, but he learned his place, working off Jackson and Drummond, trying to find his own niche.

“(I did) a little bit of everything. It just depends on what situation it was,” he said. “I just played off everybody else and made plays that were available, not trying to force anything.”

In his one season at Arizona, he averaged 13.8 points and 6.5 rebounds and was selected to the All-Pac 12 first team.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35272 posts
Sat Oct-03-15 10:01 AM

24. "i kind of like that small ball lineup"
In response to Reply # 14

cant sit drummond for TOO long

But i kind of like that

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

JBoogs
Charter member
31222 posts
Tue Sep-29-15 02:24 PM

15. "Cavs practice to be Facebook's first live sports simulcast"
In response to Reply # 0

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13771732/cleveland-cavaliers-practice-facebook-first-live-sports-simulcast

Facebook will simulcast a live sporting event for the first time Thursday, showing Cleveland Cavaliers training camp.

"NBA Real Training Camp" will run from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. ET, hosted by NBA TV's Vince Cellini and Mike Fratello -- a former Cavaliers coach -- and including interviews with players, coaches and front office personnel.

The program will also run on NBA TV and NBA.com. NBA TV is hosting shows from the training camps of Minnesota, Milwaukee and Memphis as well this week.

The NBA began working with Facebook in 2007, and 33 players have more than 1 million fans -- led by the Cavaliers' LeBron James with 33 million. There were 98 million video views of the 2015 NBA Finals on the social media site.

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Wed Sep-30-15 12:10 PM

16. "Dorrell Wright's Open Letter to Delon about Rookie year"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/dorell-wright-delon-wright-brothers-nba-rookie-letter/

Dear Delon,

There’s a lot for you to know heading into your rookie year in Toronto.

Let’s start with some practical information — stuff that may not have been mentioned at the NBA rookie symposium.

First, run away from the card games on the team plane. Don’t play. Don’t sit down at that table. And if you do play, put a limit on your buy-in. Pick a number, and if you lose it, get up. Guys will talk trash and try to keep you in.

“C’mon, man! You’re done?”

Just say, “Yep,” and walk back to your seat.

Second, get ready to hear lots of trash talk from the fans. Some places are worse than others. Golden State is going to be live this year because they’re the defending champs. I love playing there. Madison Square Garden is always crazy. And in Philly, there’s this guy behind the Sixers bench who writes down all your stats on a dry-erase board if you’re struggling. He’s hilarious, so don’t take that too personally. When I was traded to Philly in 2012, he was the first guy I asked about. I wanted to make sure he was still a season-ticket holder.

And Dude got me this past year when I wasn’t playing much with Portland. He put up my stats, like 2.3 points, 1.3 rebounds, 10 minutes. I laughed so hard. Tears, man. You have to laugh at it.

Dallas Mavericks' Elton Brand, bottom, goes up for a shot as Philadelphia 76ers' Dorell Wright defends in the first half of an NBA basketball game, Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2012, in Philadelphia. Philadelphia won 100-98. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)PHOTOGRAPH BY MATT SLOCUM/AP IMAGES

More seriously, I know my wife Mia has spoken to you about the women you’re going to meet, and more importantly who will be trying to meet you.

She understands. She’s in the family room at the arena. She’s seen all kinds of different women come and go. Different teams, different girlfriends, wives, fiancees — she knows more than I ever will. So whatever she says, do it. You’ll be happier, more focused and you’ll stay out of trouble.

And then there’s money. We all know that when it’s there and coming in, it’s easy to go out there and spend, spend, spend. Every athlete goes through a time when they’re going over budget (and yes, you should have a budget).

And then there’s money. We all know that when it’s there and coming in, it’s easy to go out there and spend, spend, spend.

What they don’t tell you is that it’s not just the availability of money that adds temptation, but time. You have all this free time to buy, buy, buy. Really, free time is the root of the trouble you can find as a pro. That’s the hardest thing about the adjustment you’re about to make. When I was at prep school before jumping to the NBA, I had a strict schedule. Be at school at 7:30. Breakfast. Assembly. Class all day, then basketball. Afterwards, it was study hall and maybe one more chance to sneak in some gym time. Most of your days in college were basically planned for you, too.

In the NBA, on non-game days, you’re there at 8 a.m. to get your extra work in and then practice with the team. That takes maybe four hours, tops. Now you’ve got the rest of the day to yourself. You’ll need to learn how to manage your time. My rookie year, after practice, I used to head to 24 Hour Fitness and play even more ball. We used to go to the movies, or just go back to the house, chilling around.

I managed to pull that off … in Miami.

Philadelphia 76ers' Dorell Wright waits to get substituted into the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Milwaukee Bucks, Monday, Nov. 12, 2012, in Philadelphia. Milwaukee won 105-96. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)PHOTOGRAPH BY MATT SLOCUM/AP IMAGES

I remember having to explain to you why I wasn’t playing when you were 11 or 12. You felt my pain. The truth is, I wasn’t ready. The guys ahead of me were better, and a month after I was drafted in Miami, we traded for Shaq, so now we were championship contenders. I went from coming into a young team where I thought I’d play 20-30 minutes a game to playing 159 total minutes over my first two seasons. I had to wait my turn.

But I had great vets around me: Wesley Person, Steve Smith, Eddie Jones and Gary Payton among them. They all told me my time was going to come, that Jermaine O’Neal and Tracy McGrady had to wait their turn, as well. They also taught me that you’ve got to sacrifice your pride for the next guy. Cheer him on. Be a great teammate. I learned that over my first few years, sitting at the end of the bench and watching with those guys.

UNITED STATES - OCTOBER 15: Basketball: Miami Heat Alonzo Mourning (33) and Dorell Wright (1) sitting on bench during preseason game vs Charlotte Bobcats, Miami, FL 10/15/2005 (Photo by Greg Nelson/Sports Illustrated/Getty Images) (SetNumber: X74449 TK1)PHOTOGRAPH BY GREG NELSON/SPORTS ILLUSTRATED/GETTY IMAGES

Plus, there was Alonzo Mourning. He had something to say to me every day. He would look you right in the eye, lean his head in a little bit and shake your hand like he’s gonna break it. You just knew he was serious. Alonzo talked about being a professional. Treating people with respect. How to carry yourself and dress well. That’s what Alonzo stood for, and since he was the Miami Heat, that’s what we all stood for.

But you’re in a different situation with the Raptors. You’re in position to play right away as a rookie on a team with serious postseason aspirations. That’s a lot of responsibility, and there will be ups and downs. At times you’ll play well, at others you won’t. You might catch a few DNP-CDs for whatever reason. No matter what, just continue believing and keeping your head, because it can always come back around. That’s what I’ve been preaching to young guys the last few years. This is a marathon, man. You’ve got to continue to get your work in, practice hard and be ready whenever your name is called.

If you’re going to bother saving your money, don’t waste it picking up T’s. They cost too much.

You’ll also be taken care of in Toronto. I’m close with Kyle Lowry, going back to those four-star camps, ABCD and AAU. DeMar DeRozan is somebody who looked up to me in high school, and he played on my team at the Drew League when he was still in eighth and ninth grade. Those are two great dudes, and I know they’re going to look out for you. I didn’t even have to ask. They reached out to me and let me know you’re in great hands.

Do what they say. Follow their lead.

Oh, and here’s a nice little perk: Since you’re a rookie, if you’re doing what you’re supposed to be doing and behaving like a pro, on road trips vets like me will throw you their per diem envelope. Whatever rook looked out for me, bringing in my gear in the morning or doing those small things a vet needs, as soon as we get off the plane, I’ll just hand the envelope over. Those extra per diems are pretty sweet and can go a long way.

SAN ANTONIO, TX - MAY 8: Dorell Wright #1 of the Portland Trail Blazers arrives at the arena before a game against the San Antonio Spurs in Game Two of the Western Conference Semifinals during the 2014 NBA Playoffs on May 8, 2014 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. Mandatory Copyright Notice: Copyright 2013 NBAE (Photo by Garrett W. Ellwood/NBAE via Getty Images)PHOTOGRAPH BY GARRETT W. ELLWOOD/NBAE VIA GETTY IMAGES

And if you’re going to bother saving your money, don’t waste it picking up T’s. They cost too much. Two grand off the top, and then higher if you start piling them up. More importantly, you don’t want to develop a rep, especially as a point guard. You need the respect of the refs. Not to be teacher’s pet, but so you can talk to them during games. Little things like that can go a long way over time.

When the refs call players up to meet before the game, most guys like to take that time and get up extra shots. Don’t. If Kyle goes up, go with him. Speak to the refs. Just a little small talk. I had this talk with Damian Lillard last year in Portland. He liked to get up those shots, instead. I said, “You can’t send C.J. McCollum and Meyers Leonard up there. You’ve got to go talk to those guys, because they feel like that’s a sign of respect.” Show them that respect, and they’re going to respect you on the court.

One more thought on money: When you come back home to L.A. to play the Lakers and Clippers, everyone is going to call you for tickets. That was one of the things I struggled with early in my career. I wasn’t even playing, and I was getting 30-something ticket requests for people to come see me dressed all nice on the bench. I used to spend a lot of money buying tickets.

Here’s your story: “I’ve only got 10 tickets, and these are going to my immediate family, so I can’t do anything for you.”

IMG_4280

And while we’re talking family, it’s going to be hard for me playing in China this year, because I won’t be around for your rookie season. But I know it’ll be fine. I’ll still be able to watch some games, and when I do, you’re going to get a long text message afterward with all the things I see. I’m sure you’re going to tell me the same thing you said at school: “Yeah, my coach told me that already,” but too bad. I’m never going to stop coaching you and being your big brother.

And remember, just step away from the card games.

-Dorell

DORELL WRIGHT
CONTRIBUTOR

---

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Wed Sep-30-15 03:42 PM

17. "Proki doing Russian Bear Circus Tricks"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-30-15 03:43 PM by ShawndmeSlanted

https://instagram.com/p/8QuDCdIWXw/

LMAO that "oh damn " in the background is killin me

---

okayplayery
Member since Aug 25th 2012
518 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 03:16 AM

19. "Some bits from the Wolves live training camp the other day"
In response to Reply # 0

- interim GM Milt Newton talked about Wiggins, said they force fed Wiggins too much last season to the point where teams were game planning for it. Said they are pushing for consistency and spontaneity out of him.

- Also really went to bat for Rubio. Said Ricky's the Guy and they're looking forward to see what he can do with these guys when healthy.

- Throwback from the 90s: Gary Trent was on floor working with big men, he's gonna be like a development coach. Still tight with KG too.

- Bjelica is BIG, definitely has the size to play PF and then some.

- Interesting comment from Wiggins that the Wolves never had as hard of a defensive practice as today all last season. And today was their first practice. Sam really preaches defense first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siqwm92qlwo

- KG mentorship was on full display.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktrjpAIQF-c

- Andre Miller looks like a hobo.

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 04:13 PM

21. "Harden adn Adidas make it official"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WffdAbNFyC0&feature=youtu.be

---

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 02:26 PM

22. ":)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/clutchfans/status/650022962683187200

---

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 10:09 PM

23. "Ps game 1 is on now: Denver vs clippers"
In response to Reply # 0

---

ShawndmeSlanted
43353 posts
Tue Oct-06-15 11:48 PM

26. "Deangelo went down hard and was helped off"
In response to Reply # 0

Bruised Glute.

shouldbe fine

---

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2479513 Previous topic | Next topic