Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2473511

Subject: "Late Pass: I didn't know Mashburn was doing it like that..." Search result list | First match | Last match
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 04:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Late Pass: I didn't know Mashburn was doing it like that..."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153537758477410&set=a.10150293964132410.358933.595812409&type=1

http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2013/09/11/former-nba-star-jamal-mashburn-launches-venture-capital-firm/

Former NBA Star Jamal Mashburn Launches Venture Capital Firm
ByTimothy Hay

Jamal Mashburn wasn’t called “Monster Mash” for nothing. In his heyday as a forward for the Dallas Mavericks, Miami Heat and other teams, his skills put fear into those who had to face him on the court.

But from his earliest days in the National Basketball Association, Mr. Mashburn always had other interests, and always had a Plan B.

“I always wanted to be that guy with the briefcase,” he said. “I saw pro sports from a different angle. I grew up in Harlem, and my dad was a boxer. He worked hard all his life, he sparred with Muhammad Ali. He accomplished a lot, but in the end he had nothing to show for it.

“So, I used to look at those guys with the briefcases and think, ‘What’s inside there?’ To me, it signified the brain, and I had a lifelong desire to carry that briefcase.”

Mr. Mashburn today owns 80 restaurants, a realty company, Toyota and Lexus dealerships and a range of other businesses.

But instead of retiring now that he has learned what is in fact inside all of those briefcases, Mr. Mashburn has reinvented himself again. He has teamed up with another pro athlete–National Football League offensive tackle Winston Justice–to launch a venture capital firm for investing in high-tech startups.

Justice Mashburn Capital Partners, as the Florida-based firm is called, has already made its first investment. The firm participated in a funding round for LevelEleven Inc., a software company bringing game mechanics to the sales departments at large corporations.

The firm has no limited partners outside of Messrs. Mashburn and Justice, who put up their own money to raise a formal investment fund.

The idea percolated over the years, Mr. Mashburn said, as a growing number of teammates and other athletes asked him to invest money for them, something he was not prepared to do in an off-hand way. But the constant queries planted the idea, he said.

Getting pitched on business ventures won’t be new for Mr. Mashburn, but the quality of the pitches will hopefully improve now that he is a venture capitalist, he said.

“Athletes get pitched all the time,” he said. “People have this view that you’re not the smart money, you’re the dumb money. We get pitched mom-and-pop businesses that are not scalable. We get pitched on the marketing side, heavily. We get pitched by people who say their company is the next Google. Well, if you’re the next Google, why are you free to sit here and talk to me on a Tuesday afternoon?”

Nowadays, the pitches are coming from the makers of educational software, digital advertising and analytics products, mobile banking, security and gamification companies, he said.

Asked how he will fit in with the fast-pace world of technology and venture capital, Mr. Mashburn said all pro athletes have an entrepreneurial streak. Just like company founders, they wade out alone into untested waters with only their acumen and skills to fall back on.

“I made my first real business decision at age 10,” he said. “I had wanted to be a baseball player, until this Dominican kid threw a really, really fast fastball at me. At that time, I decided not to be a baseball player.”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I did. #BBN
Sep 02nd 2015
I wonder if he's cakin more than laettner
Sep 02nd 2015
he is....not more than grant tho
Sep 02nd 2015
I never realized how many former athletes own or co-own car dealerships....
Sep 02nd 2015
Elvin Hayes, Elway, a ton of guys, yeah.
Sep 03rd 2015
He owns 37 Outbacks, WTF!!!!!!!!
Sep 02nd 2015
Getting that bloomin onion bread
Sep 02nd 2015
AI has eaten at 37 Fridays
Sep 02nd 2015
RE: He owns 37 Outbacks, WTF!!!!!!!!
Sep 03rd 2015
I feel sorry for people who eat papa johns
Sep 02nd 2015
it feels fake. like pizza from a foreign country with no italians at all
Sep 03rd 2015
Ha
Sep 03rd 2015
I vaguely remember reading that Melo
Sep 03rd 2015

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 04:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I did. #BBN "
In response to Reply # 0

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4383 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 05:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I wonder if he's cakin more than laettner"
In response to Reply # 0

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 07:46 PM

6. "he is....not more than grant tho"
In response to Reply # 2

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Dstl1
Charter member
56245 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 05:32 PM

3. "I never realized how many former athletes own or co-own car dealerships...."
In response to Reply # 0

I guess it's easy bread if you have the cash to buy in. I deal with claims from John Elway, Barry Sanders, Dale Earnhard and Arnold Palmer shops on the regular. Didn't know Mash had a chain, too.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Thu Sep-03-15 01:19 AM

10. "Elvin Hayes, Elway, a ton of guys, yeah."
In response to Reply # 3

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 05:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "He owns 37 Outbacks, WTF!!!!!!!! "
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Beezo
Charter member
27566 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 07:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Getting that bloomin onion bread"
In response to Reply # 4

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59187 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 09:40 PM

8. "AI has eaten at 37 Fridays"
In response to Reply # 4

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Oakley
Charter member
7810 posts
Thu Sep-03-15 08:00 AM

13. "RE: He owns 37 Outbacks, WTF!!!!!!!! "
In response to Reply # 4

lol, first time i read that i thought man he must really love Subaru

guru0509
Charter member
45386 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 05:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I feel sorry for people who eat papa johns "
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Thu Sep-03-15 01:20 AM

11. "it feels fake. like pizza from a foreign country with no italians at all"
In response to Reply # 5

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

UpNorth
Member since Aug 23rd 2011
235 posts
Thu Sep-03-15 12:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Ha"
In response to Reply # 0

“I made my first real business decision at age 10,” he said. “I had wanted to be a baseball player, until this Dominican kid threw a really, really fast fastball at me. At that time, I decided not to be a baseball player.”

Numba_33
Charter member
19346 posts
Thu Sep-03-15 07:58 AM

12. "I vaguely remember reading that Melo"
In response to Reply # 0

formed something similar to this last year or two years ago.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2473511Search result list | First match | Last match