Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2472568

Subject: ""Like permanent intoxication" -- Twins September " Previous topic | Next topic
Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Thu Aug-27-15 08:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""Like permanent intoxication" -- Twins September "

This is fun, right? Like what we're having right now is what fun feels like?

As of today, the wildcard standings are:

New York, 69-57
Minnesota, 65-61
Texas, 64-61
Angels, 64-62
Orioles, 63-63

The team is a goddamn mess. The lone bullpen brightspots are banged up. The Aaron Hicks breakthrough finally happened, only for him to hit the DL. Mauer has never gotten over the hump. The rotation is bad *and* expensive. Plouffe and Dozier have come back to earth after their great starts. Torii Hunter stopped hitting, which has really left "veteran leadership" as his only identifiable contribution.

But Miguel Sano exists. Eduardo Escobar doesn't seem at all discouraged by being told he needs to win a job every single day in spite of zero better candidates (292/.361/.554) in the past month. Byron Buxton decided to start playing small until he figures out big league pitching and runs down *everything* in the outfield. And Eddie Rosario might be having Carlos Gomez-level fun being a rookie.

So something's happening. I still don't think they're good enough to be a playoff team, but:

a)the rules have changed since the last Twins team (2008) I felt that way about, so there are like four other AL squads in contention that I also don't think are good enough to be playoff teams, including the one right behind and right in front of the Twins.

b)like that 2008 Twins team, I think sitting back and enjoying it is the way to go.

Related to some/all of the above, Jose Berrios went seven shutout innings and struck out TWELVE last night. In his last twenty innings, he has thirty strikeouts, five earned runs, fourteen hits, and one walk.

On the purely prospecting level, he looks really ready. And the concerns about his durability, arising from running out of gas late in the season a couple years ago, now seem gone that he's dominating at 155 total innings for 2015. He might be the best pitcher in the Twins organization right now, not just on potential, and MLB rotation included.

On the is-this-team-good level, as September approaches it seems entirely plausible that Berrios could be the difference between a post-season appearance and... not. At his innings load, it'd be tough to put him in the rotation. But maybe some bullpen innings for him in September? It'd give him a chance to look at big league hitters and our bullpen is completely terrible, so it'd help the big club.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I still can't see them holding on to the WC2 spot
Aug 27th 2015
I mean, basically
Aug 27th 2015
Do you call him Duff Man?
Aug 28th 2015
      Yeah, I think we may have to
Oct 02nd 2015
Remember Max Kepler?
Aug 27th 2015
Mauer needs to get back on the PEDs from 2009
Aug 27th 2015
Damn catwalk
Aug 27th 2015
Raise your hand if you thought that Sano shot was gonna go out
Aug 31st 2015
what the hell is going on?
Sep 03rd 2015
Playing the ChiSox helps, but they got two legit W's
Sep 03rd 2015
I hate that they made me love Trevor May in the pen
Sep 04th 2015
Are we cool with pushing Sano?
Sep 08th 2015
How good is Eduardo Escobar?
Sep 13th 2015
A friend says that this team's best attribute is dumb-ness
Sep 15th 2015
i like this
Sep 15th 2015
      It frees us from silly psychological analysis
Sep 18th 2015
Can we stop talking about a homerun Dozier hit two months ago?
Sep 15th 2015
What a shitshow that was
Sep 18th 2015
Some better September call-up management could have helped
Sep 18th 2015
Welcome, Max Kepler
Sep 22nd 2015
Couldn't hurt
Sep 22nd 2015
Yeah, he'll be a nice bench bat and/or find time at a few positions
Sep 22nd 2015
In Terra inest virtus, quae Lunam del
Sep 23rd 2015
Buxton!
Sep 28th 2015
Ervin tonight, Milone tomorrow, Gibson(?) Sunday on short rest
Oct 02nd 2015
Holy shitballs that's complicated
Oct 02nd 2015
i like not paying attention to the twins
Oct 02nd 2015
      Still got this weekend, and you can claim you were there
Oct 02nd 2015
           you know me too well.
Oct 02nd 2015
                Doing well, and we definitely should
Oct 02nd 2015
That was fun, wasn't it?
Oct 04th 2015
All season long, we knew this wasn't really a playoff team
Oct 04th 2015
and if torii is too important to the clubhouse mojo ...
Oct 04th 2015
      I might rather have Jim Thome
Oct 05th 2015
           I can't imagine he'll want a smaller role
Oct 05th 2015
                Yep, and something needs to be done with Kepler, Arcia, and ...
Oct 05th 2015
Would you package Plouffe or Dozier to unload Nolasco?
Oct 05th 2015
      my answer was your first sentence
Oct 05th 2015

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Aug-27-15 08:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I still can't see them holding on to the WC2 spot"
In response to Reply # 0

For all the aforementioned reasons.

I don't even know who we'd start in a hypothetical wild card game in Yankee Stadium that I would have a speck of hope in. I almost want to say throw out Duffey because WHY NOT.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Thu Aug-27-15 09:12 AM

2. "I mean, basically"
In response to Reply # 1

Whoever they face, Duffey is the guy they maybe don't have experience knocking around. So, yeah. That.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Aug-28-15 05:17 AM

6. "Do you call him Duff Man?"
In response to Reply # 1

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 07:56 AM

24. "Yeah, I think we may have to"
In response to Reply # 6

He deserves a nickname now, regardless of what happens over the next handful of games or for the rest of his career.

Though I think if he's never as good as he's looked down the stretch (which is probable) then maybe option two is Mr. Duffleupagus.

Because then he'd be an imaginary friend.

--Walleye's Dad

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Thu Aug-27-15 09:23 AM

3. "Remember Max Kepler?"
In response to Reply # 0

He's really, really good now. Video of his swing development is at the video. It's really jarring. Old Kepler looks Ben Revere punchy. New Kepler looks like Justin Morneau.

He's on the 40-man, I think. September call-up? It'd be nice to use that expanded roster period to actually have some hitters on the bench.

http://twinsdaily.com/_/minnesota-twins-news/minnesota-twins-minor-leagues/twins-prospect-max-kepler-continues-to-impress-r4081

Twins Prospect Max Kepler Continues To Impress
Aug 26 2015 09:14 AM | Parker Hageman in Minor Leagues
When the Minnesota Twins signed Max Kepler to a $800,000 bonus, the organization knew they had a project on their hands. The raw German-born player would have a longer development timeline than most transforming from the toolsy teenager to a polished prospect. Unlike his compatriots in the Western Hemisphere, Kepler lacked the reps and the game awareness that comes from playing against the pool of competition on this side of the globe as a youth. That shortcoming would be on display in his introduction to professional baseball.

If you watched Max Kepler this year or happened to have glanced at his stats in Double-A, however, you would have no idea that he came from a baseball-deficient part of the world. Does he have a chance to see playing time in Minnesota this season?

Offensively, this season has been different for Kepler. He has gotten more athletic, more aggressive with his swing and Chattanooga’s hitting coach, former Twin Chad Allen, says that is no accident.

“We made him do that,” Allen said referring to Kepler’s remodeled swing with a newly incorporated leg kick. There was an emphasis placed on getting him to drive the ball to the pull side without selling out, increasing his power but without sacrificing his contact abilities.

Kepler’s swing has come leaps and bounds since his days honing his craft in Berlin. At 16 years old, his mechanics were a crude iteration of what a baseball swing should be. His body lurched out over his front foot to get to the ball. The Twins worked hard to get him to stay back and wait for the ball to come to him. That resulted in a swing like the one he displayed while with the 2013 Glendale Desert Dogs in the Arizona Fall League, as seen below. Kepler would use the toe-tap method while keeping his weight back. The current version is one with an aggressive lower-half that is seeking to drive ball rather than just meet it.

If you watch the progression, Kepler develops from a toolsy hack into an athletic and collected power hitter over the course of five years.

“The first day we worked together this year, we kinda jumped him a bit and got on him pretty hard,” Allen admitted. “He had to realize that his potential. He’s got a high ceiling. We just made him aggressive. Not necessarily a pull hitter but more aggressive to the pull side and just understanding that he’s got to go up with the mentality that ‘I’m a pretty good hitter and I’m going to think that and when I go to the plate, I’m thinking I’m going to drive the ball every time.’”

Within the front office, the Twins’ staff was more or less anticipating this delayed learning curve. Mike Radcliff, the organization’s Vice President of Player Personnel, said that this offensive outburst is just the culmination of his development. He noted that international players like Kepler who do not come from Latin American countries like the Dominican or Venezuela that have leagues for players in that country prior to being brought into the United States system -- guys from Australia or Europe -- are often far behind in the game’s development curve. This season, he believes, was Kepler finally catching up to the rest.

“His was limited out of Germany,” said Radcliff. “Played a lot more soccer games than he did baseball games before he was signed. It takes patience and we have a lot of that in our organization, thankfully.”

Even when their prized European prospect failed to produce an OPS over 740 in all but one of his first five professional seasons, the Twins evaluators never lost hope. “We all assumed, figured, projected he would hit eventually,” Radcliff continued. “This is the year it is showing up on the box score for sure.”

His box score numbers in Double-A have been ridiculous so far this year. Among those hitters who have compiled 400 or more plate appearances at that level, Kepler has the highest OPS (.994) by a large margin. His .569 slugging percentage tops Double-A with teammate Adam Brett Walker coming in a close but not that close second (.506). But while Walker has struck out in an eye-popping 176 of his plate appearance, Kepler managed to strike out in just 57 trips to the plate.

“For him to produce, something had to click. He’s doing something different and better,” Radcliff believes. “He’s more in tune to the game. He has more focus, he has more concentration, he knows how to react. Most of it is mental. He’s been physically impressive for a long time.”

Allen agreed that he has seen a maturing kid with not only an increased level of confidence but an expanding aptitude for the game. The mental aspect of his game is now catching up with his physical side.

“You see him doing stuff at the plate now -- and it’s not all the time -- but for instance every once in a while he’ll hit a lefty down the left field line with two strikes,” Allen explained. “That’s something you can’t necessarily teach to a lot of kids but he has the mental capacity to understand that even though I’m being aggressive to the pull side if you can still go the other way and flick a ball down the line, left-on-left, that showing you that the kid has some mental awareness of what is going on with the game and how the guy is pitching to him.”

That is another area of his game that has developed rapidly: Kepler has vastly improved against left-handed pitching. Just two seasons ago, he posted a .117 average off of lefties. He managed just seven hits in 60 at-bats and just one for extra bases. A switch flipped for him, perhaps because of confidence or because of the mechanical changes but this season he has compiled a .364 average versus left-handed pitching, or 28 hits in 77 at-bats. The approach that Allen was describing has paid dividends.

Kepler’s progress this season goes beyond the numbers as well. Earlier in August, Kepler was ejected from a game after an umpire failed to acknowledge that he was hit on the arm in an at-bat, instead calling it a foul ball. Kepler showed the mark the ball caused to the umpire and was promptly excused for the rest of the day.

To Allen, this is a significant milestone. He and the Lookouts coaching staff view that as a sign of confidence.

“In reality, Max has been a very laid back guy. A really, really laid back guy,” Allen said. “What really makes us as a staff smile is that he is now showing emotion. And to us, that is one of the biggest things that made us perk our ears up and go ‘oh wow, now we really got something’. He wants to do better, he wants to succeed. I’m not saying you have to show emotion all the time but when he gets pissed off, when he gets mad at a call that to us is saying that son of a buck is competing. When you have a guy that is competing every single day and gets pissed off when he doesn’t have a call go his way or doesn’t get a hit, that’s a big leap for us.”

With major league rosters expanding in September, there is an outside chance that Kepler is added as a left-handed bat with outfield and first base capabilities.

“I think hitting-wise, he’s there,” Allen assessed regarding Kepler’s current ability to handle major league pitching. “I think the biggest thing that Max is gonna have to learn like everybody learns when they get to the big leagues is that they gotta mentally stay strong when you go up there because the biggest thing that a young player is gonna have to deal with is learning to deal with failure in the big leagues. And if you can't deal with failure in the big leagues, you probably not going to be there very long.”

Radcliff is more conservative when it comes to Kepler’s timeline. Despite the outstanding stat line, he believes there are elements of his game that need some refinement.

“He’s not ready to be an average major league player tomorrow. He’s along that path. He’s doing good things, he’s produced. He’s hitting .340 but he still doesn’t take at-bats and swing at strikes and handle breaking balls like he is going to have to do to be an average hitter in the major leagues,” said Radcliff. “So there’s way more things that the eyeball picks up along with all the numbers that he is producing that is part of the evaluation process and part of the process for him to make that next to the 25-man roster.”

Radcliff noted that he did not want to sound disparaging when he offered up the things Kepler still needed to work on. After all every minor league prospect has things they need to work on before they stick in the major leagues for good. He mentioned Byron Buxton, a mega-prospect, who still needs to improve at the plate. But from his evaluation stance, after years of simply catching up to the rest of the field, Kepler has positioned himself on the fast track headed for Minnesota.

“You watched him back in the GCL and Cedar Rapids, he didn’t know what he was doing,” said Radcliff. “He had a great body and a great swing and he had tools. He had no idea. Now, well now, he is starting to understand what he is doing everyday, and every swing and every at bat.”

--Walleye's Dad

BigKato
Member since Aug 26th 2006
556 posts
Thu Aug-27-15 05:06 PM

4. "Mauer needs to get back on the PEDs from 2009"
In response to Reply # 0

1/4th of his career homerun total came from that one year. And he missed the first month of the season if I'm remembering correctly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

Walt Whitman

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Aug-27-15 07:42 PM

5. "Damn catwalk"
In response to Reply # 0

That's a homer anywhere else. Literally anywhere.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 06:57 AM

7. "Raise your hand if you thought that Sano shot was gonna go out"
In response to Reply # 0

I have watched the replay a dozen times now and I'm still surprised with each viewing. Looks like a strong double down the line that bounces thirty feet short of the fence.

--Walleye's Dad

Drizzit
Member since Sep 19th 2002
6467 posts
Thu Sep-03-15 08:54 AM

8. "what the hell is going on?"
In response to Reply # 0

10 of their last 12? i should not pay attention more often.

also, i <3 miguel MEJOR.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Sep-03-15 10:06 AM

9. "Playing the ChiSox helps, but they got two legit W's"
In response to Reply # 8

over Houston.

We're playing with house money at this point, so WHY NOT?

------

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Fri Sep-04-15 07:38 AM

10. "I hate that they made me love Trevor May in the pen"
In response to Reply # 0

I was annoyed at first. Even with some MiLB ups and downs, he always did two things well: strike people out and stay healthy. He put up really impressing innings-pitched totals all through his minor league career. Even with the occasionally ugly start, it seemed worth it to slot somebody who could 10+ strikeouts on a team in our 4th or 5th starter role. Like penance for employing Nick Blackburn.

But he seems to really thrive in the pen. And instead of talking about what that means moving forward, I'm going to enjoy his appearances as now the ONE guy I'm actually happy to see come out in relief for the Twins.

--Walleye's Dad

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Tue Sep-08-15 08:26 AM

11. "Are we cool with pushing Sano?"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean, it's a sore hamstring so he'll have all off-season to take care of it. But I've loved his completely mature approach and now, due to being basically unable to run at all, it looks like he's been instructed to specifically aim for total three-true-outcomes.

I guess I'm alright as long as there's no longterm risk to his health, but I'm not really looking forward to the off-season projection stuff where some writer brings up that his strikeout rate is gonna be like 40% at the end of the season.

--Walleye's Dad

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Sun Sep-13-15 07:50 PM

12. "How good is Eduardo Escobar?"
In response to Reply # 0

a)actually good
b)good enough
c)not that good

I think the answer is "b" but for the second season in a row, he's making us consider that the answer is actually "a". UZR hates his defense this year, but liked it in 2014. And he's got over 40% of his hits going for extra bases.

I don't know. Seems like the good kind of problem. Shortstop isn't an organizational strength, particularly as they realized that Jorge Polanco might profile best as a 2B - a spot which is occupied pretty successfully at the moment. We're stacked at the position in the low minors, with Engelb "why is there a B in his name?" Vielma, Nick Gordon, and now Wander "Bigger bonus than Sano means he's really fucking good, right?" Javier. But that's kind of a common thing at the lower levels.

So, good enough is good enough for now. If he turns out to be actually good, then good for us. And if he's just good enough, hopefully he'll stay that way until we get somebody good.

--Walleye's Dad

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Tue Sep-15-15 11:21 AM

13. "A friend says that this team's best attribute is dumb-ness"
In response to Reply # 0

They have no idea that they aren't good, and seem to forget on a nightly basis that they don't do anything particularly well and do a number of things extremely poorly.

That's a kind of apophatic analysis, but I don't disagree.

--Walleye's Dad

Drizzit
6467 posts
Tue Sep-15-15 07:42 PM

14. "i like this"
In response to Reply # 13

they resemble the fictional indians from major league. does someone have a naked cutout of carl pohlad in the clubhouse?

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Fri Sep-18-15 08:28 AM

16. "It frees us from silly psychological analysis"
In response to Reply # 14

Two really rough losses in a row can't break the Twins. In order to be psychologically crushed, you need to have a mind.

Their pitching staff, though. That can break the Twins. And it probably already did.

--Walleye's Dad

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Tue Sep-15-15 09:14 PM

15. "Can we stop talking about a homerun Dozier hit two months ago?"
In response to Reply # 0

If it really broke the Tigers' soul in a way that was worth bringing up nearly every break in the action, then they wouldn't be winning right now. I'm not interested in soul-eating as a useful baseball concept unless the team fully withers and dies, going fully win-less.

--Walleye's Dad

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Sep-18-15 08:58 AM

17. "What a shitshow that was"
In response to Reply # 0

Only difference between the Angles and Twins last night was one team has a bullpen. And (of slightly greater importance,) Mike Trout. But also a bullpen.

------

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Fri Sep-18-15 09:10 AM

18. "Some better September call-up management could have helped"
In response to Reply # 17

>Only difference between the Angles and Twins last night was
>one team has a bullpen. And (of slightly greater importance,)
>Mike Trout. But also a bullpen.

I think that shutting down Jose Berrios at around 160 innings was exactly the right move. He's starting to look like somebody with #1 upside and that's a commodity to be protected. But there's a point where even if "don't let Jose Berrios throw over 160ish innings" is a valid and correct conclusion that we can still question HOW those innings were distributed.

Dude made twelve starts for Rochester. He basically proved that he had mastered AAA at about half that. Say the Twins cut him off at around 130, call him up and say "you're in our bullpen to learn bigleague hitters for the last eight weeks of the season."

He gets his feet wet, doesn't excede 160 innings, and the Twins have somebody with big bat-missing potential pitching out of the pen instead of... Neal Cotts.

All of this applies to Alex Meyer, who had a rough year but has not stopped doing the following:

-throw 98mph
-strike out a bunch of dudes

It'd be nice to have both of those guys around right now. And they're on the 40-man, so all it would take is a phone call.

--Walleye's Dad

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Tue Sep-22-15 07:19 AM

19. "Welcome, Max Kepler"
In response to Reply # 0

Opinions about waiting until after the Southern League playoffs to promote a guy who slashed .322/.416/.531, welcome.

--Walleye's Dad

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Sep-22-15 08:34 AM

20. "Couldn't hurt"
In response to Reply # 19

And congrats to the Lookouts on winning the SL title.

------

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Tue Sep-22-15 09:04 AM

21. "Yeah, he'll be a nice bench bat and/or find time at a few positions"
In response to Reply # 20

Also, Doug Mientkiewicz is looking like a no-jokes managerial prospect. The Twins have two of them in the system with Dougie and Jake Mauer (who took the Cedar Rapids Kernals one game from the MWL title, which is maybe more impressive given the difference in collected prospect talent between the two affiliates) and I'm kind of curious to see how this will break down with Molitor showing ... pretty well this season.

I don't know. Do we have an opinion about Molitor? The team has obviously exceeded expectations and he got good performances out of some young players while keeping the team mostly healthy. That's kind of all the things for a young, rebuilding team.

Molitor's fifty-nine. And Mientkiewicz seemed like he required some real convincing to move further away from home to work with the prospects at Chattanooga. I know I mentioned this when Molitor was hired, but is there any chance he's only in it for a finite run? Say a three year deal?

--Walleye's Dad

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Wed Sep-23-15 09:59 AM

22. "In Terra inest virtus, quae Lunam del"
In response to Reply # 19

There's a real chance he's going to be very good. Nickname nominations start here. Kepples? Celestial Physics?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2568511-max-kepler-the-german-baseball-player-who-spurned-soccer-for-mlb-dreams

Max Kepler, the German Baseball Player Who Spurned Soccer for MLB Dreams
By Seth Gruen , Featured Columnist Sep 22, 2015

The most middling players in Europe's top soccer leagues are guaranteed transformational wealth, supermodel girlfriends and unrivaled celebrity.

A sea of people stacked five deep around the entrance to a nightclub will part ways for one of its soccer stars to enter. Restaurant reservations will be honored—so long as a player doesn't show up unannounced. It's a utopia for most European men that few get to enjoy and nearly all envy.

And most find out if they've won this genetic lottery before their teenage years.

While the offer of a scholarship to a prepubescent seventh-grader makes the college football faithful gasp in this country, European professional clubs already have snagged soccer phenoms by that age to play in their youth academies. So coveted is the opportunity to be selected into the youth academy of a known professional club that children around Europe move great distances for the chance.

Max Kepler was fortunate to be one of the few. And one of the fewer who didn't even have to move. In his hometown of Berlin, he was a goalie for the youth academy of Hertha BSC, one of the storied clubs in Germany's famed Bundesliga.

Hertha BSC is known for graduating youth talent to top leagues across Europe. Kepler was thought to be so athletic he even played some attacking positions as a reserve. In his early teens, Kepler was a prodigy. Then, suddenly, he veered off the path.

Photo credit: Mark Meeks and Todd Norris
If he lived in any number of other countries, the idea of abandoning soccer wouldn't inspire shock. Most would understand that a number of sports would suit someone as athletically gifted as Kepler.

But not in Europe. Especially not in Germany, where other athletic endeavors are barely given a passing glance. The move was as much a head-scratcher to his envious classmates as it was to his Polish-born father.

Kepler gave up his country's favorite pastime for that of another: At 15 years old, he ditched soccer for baseball.

"Soccer is the No. 1 sport in Germany," Kepler said. "Baseball was barely poking its head out the window at the time.

"Being one of the best in my school, people frowned about it and they were just surprised that I would take baseball which is kind of a long jump."

He has landed squarely, though, as one of the most promising players in the Minnesota Twins' minor league system. This past season, at 22, he won the Southern League MVP for the Twins' Double-A affiliate Chattanooga Lookouts, hitting .322 with an on-base percentage of .416 and slugging .531.

Kepler led the Lookouts to the Southern League Championship, beating the Biloxi Shuckers in the decisive fifth game on Monday. Shortly after that game, Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported that Kepler had been called up by the Twins—a move that has been expected for weeks.

Brace Hemmelgarn/Getty Images
But unlike soccer, he wasn't destined for a career in baseball. Baseball didn't provide him the same clear-cut opportunities. He had to seek out a foggy, much less direct road to pursue his baseball dream. A lack of competition puts European baseball players at a predisposed disadvantage. Getting noticed by scouts would be a long shot.

Kepler's parents are both ballet dancers who moved to Germany to chase their own profession. His father successfully imparted his love for soccer onto his son.

But it didn't deter Kepler's passion for baseball, introduced to him by his American-born mother. With few leagues competitive enough to help Kepler develop as a high school player, his mother canvassed the country for better opportunities in the sport.

She found a league in Bavaria, a city far from Berlin in the southeastern part of the country. Playing in Bavaria meant having to attend a boarding school. It meant having to give up playing in the Hertha youth academy. But it also meant the opportunity to play in a league that had connections to the United States.

Kepler dominated. But the competition was substandard. In the United States, top high school players can face each other in the Area Code Games and AAU baseball. The top college talent has the wood bat Cape Cod League.

The best pitcher Kepler faced in Germany threw 85 miles per hour. But on a given weekend of games, it was more likely he would see 75.

If Kepler were to advance in the game, he would need to travel to the United States.

"People were telling me about going abroad and playing ball in the states, which I never heard of," Kepler said. "It kind of got me thinking: I want to go abroad and see what another country has to offer."

The signing wasn't some flyer by a Twins organization looking to bolster its minor league system. Kepler's raw ability was apparent to every scout who watched him. Soon, word of his prowess circulated among baseball evaluators.

His 6'4" frame was suited to play multiple positions in the field, but with his speed and range, the Twins cast him primarily as a center fielder. To top it all off, he's a lefty.

Kepler had offers from some 15 major league franchises, but he finally settled on the Twins—signing for a European-record bonus of $800,000. The windfall wouldn't secure his future in perpetuity, but the investment by the Twins meant one thing for sure: a chance. So, it appeared, by 17 years old, baseball hadn't led him entirely astray.

He moved to the United States and finished his final semester of high school before entering the Twins' minor league system. Bereft of an accent, Kepler speaks English with a Midwestern sensibility—humble, deliberate and honest. He also had spent time in Texas. So unlike other foreign-born baseball players, navigating rural America's minor league system wasn't a cultural challenge.

But the workmanlike nature of the minor leagues stood in stark contrast to the fast-tracked world of professional soccer. Had all gone according to plan, Kepler would have signed a professional contract by 17. Development in baseball is much more of a process.

Photo credit: Brian McLeod
Really, Kepler had no choice but to embrace it. Patience was paramount for both Kepler and the Twins. Current manager Paul Molitor, who was the Twins' minor league base running coach and infield coordinator during Kepler's first three seasons in the system, called him "raw." He wasn't looked upon as an immediate-impact guy even at the lowest levels.

The goal of any player is to react more and think less. Players in baseball-immersed countries enter the minors with a working knowledge of the game, allowing them to do just that. But growing up in Germany, Kepler couldn't turn on the television and watch baseball. He couldn't walk down the street and take fielding practice with friends. And finding a batting cage was a bit of a challenge. Kepler wasn't exposed to the myriad situations in this uber situational sport.

"It's been a little bit of a different developmental curve for him both in terms of his own and competing with players he probably never saw the likes of back home," Molitor said. "He's begun to figure it out."

An elbow injury in 2013 derailed his development and kept him out for about two months. The injury has caused some to believe long term he is a first baseman. But Molitor said his intentions are to play Kepler in the outfield, where his speed is a defensive asset.

Spending 2013 and 2014 in the Arizona Fall League helped Kepler's development tremendously, and this year he has hit for career highs in average, on-base percentage, slugging, RBI (21) and triples (13). He is a solid four-tool player, working on a fifth—his power.

Kepler hit only nine homers this season and said he is focused on rounding out his game by adding that element. For any wannabe slugger, that means pulling the ball early in the count.

But even without that slugger's mentality, Kepler has impressed the Twins brass and teammates alike. Molitor said he has a "major league sound to his bat."

Pitcher Tyler Duffey, a reliever with the Twins who played with Kepler in Minnesota's system, likened him to Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton. Similarly, stories of profound athleticism followed Hamilton until his major league debut in 2007.

"He's really been blessed as an athlete in general but more so as a baseball player," Duffey said. "Everything is smooth too. It doesn't look like he's going balls to the wall even though he is.

"I think he could have played any sport he wanted to. I guess the Twins are lucky he played baseball."

Kepler may, in fact, have played his finals days of minor league baseball. He may leave spring training with the Twins in 2016, which very likely could be a one-way trip to the big leagues.

Performing well with the Twins amid a wild-card race would help Kepler's cause in 2016, when he is expected to compete for a spot on the major league roster. Kepler is well aware of the talk that surrounds his budding career.

"It's tempting to go on Twitter and look into it," Kepler said, amid the Lookouts' playoff run. "But most of the time I just try to focus on the stuff going on down here."

Kepler's popularity began growing in Minneapolis weeks ago. Ask around Target Field and many know the name, some even the face. It seems Kepler chose the sport that, all along, he was meant to play.

Seth Gruen recently spent four years at the Chicago Sun-Times covering a variety of sports, including baseball. Before that, he served as the Northwest Herald's Cubs and White Sox beat writer.

Feel free to follow and talk sports with Seth at his Twitter account, @SethGruen.

--Walleye's Dad

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Mon Sep-28-15 07:33 AM

23. "Buxton!"
In response to Reply # 0

Fun fun fun yesterday. It's silly to say that one game is a turning point, but his MO has been to struggle for awhile and then just *snap* and get it. I wish I had a more current cultural reference point than Morpheus watching Neo and saying "he's starting to believe" but I'm thirty six so you get what you pay for.

I'm curious to see what becomes of this OF/1B/DH mishmash of Sano, Buxton, Hicks, Arcia, Rosario, Mauer, Vargas, and Kepler next year. And now somebody has said they want to bring Hunter back, which, unless it's as a coach sounds like something I'd rather they pass on.

No matter what, it's hard to imagine all seven of those guys staying rostered and spending the full season with the big club. Sano's got another position if the team moves Plouffe. Hicks and Rosario probably have pretty solid trade value at the moment, but I've really gotten attached to the idea of having them in the outfield behind our pitchers who still don't strike anybody out. Arcia probably had the worst-timed disaster year ever, but I'd hope the Twins don't want to sell low on his power. He can rebuild value as a bench bat and DH type if he bounces back.

Kepler, they're justified in sending to Rochester. He's been a slow burn at every level. I'm not really sold on Vargas as an MLB hitter. The walk rate doesn't seem to ever follow him in his big league stints and I kind of think that's not going to change - like it's a reaction to a fundamental difference between AAA breaking stuff and MLB breaking stuff.

--Walleye's Dad

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 10:19 AM

25. "Ervin tonight, Milone tomorrow, Gibson(?) Sunday on short rest"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it's safe to assume that Sunday's game will probably have some playoff implications.

And here's the three way tie 163/164 scenario, for fun.

Now, if the Twins, Angels and Astros end in a three-way tie for the wild card, this is where it gets complicated. The Angels would have best record (14-12) against the other two clubs. It would be up to them to decide to play two tiebreaker games at home or one on the road. Most likely, the Angels would opt to play one game. So the Twins would play host to Game 163 against Houston — based on the tiebreaker listed earlier — and if they won that game, they would play host to the Angels the next day, Game 164. Both games would be regular-season games, meaning the teams can use their entire 40-man rosters.

------

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 10:36 AM

26. "Holy shitballs that's complicated"
In response to Reply # 25

Fascinating.

I'd love for them to make a couple September call-ups just for the hell of it. Short of Duffey, those are our best three options right now but they've all been combustible and will be on short leashes. It'd be nice to add guys like Oliveros and Berrios and Meyer just in case one of those starts becomes a bullpen pissing contest.

--Walleye's Dad

Drizzit
6467 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 12:28 PM

27. "i like not paying attention to the twins"
In response to Reply # 25

my sense of bewilderment is highly entertaining everytime i enter this thread.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 12:36 PM

28. "Still got this weekend, and you can claim you were there"
In response to Reply # 27

from day one

------

Drizzit
6467 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 01:57 PM

29. "you know me too well. "
In response to Reply # 28

life good? we should grab a vikings game at the cardinal for old times sake.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 03:42 PM

30. "Doing well, and we definitely should"
In response to Reply # 29

I'll look at the schedule and see what's good.

------

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Sun Oct-04-15 08:19 AM

31. "That was fun, wasn't it?"
In response to Reply # 0

It felt like we were playing with house money the last month, so it's tough to be disappointed. Though I think I'd prefer seeing them win and just run out of time against two better teams if they weren't going to make it.

Stick post-mortem thoughts and off-season musings here. Hunter return? Who's in the rotation? Is it possible to turn over 85% of a bullpen?

--Walleye's Dad

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Sun Oct-04-15 08:47 AM

32. "All season long, we knew this wasn't really a playoff team"
In response to Reply # 31

So I agree, we were playing with house money after the All Star break.

On to 2016, where we'll hopefully see Berrios in a Twins uniform and see what the market is for Trevor Plouffe.

------

Drizzit
6467 posts
Sun Oct-04-15 10:50 PM

33. "and if torii is too important to the clubhouse mojo ..."
In response to Reply # 32

give him the jim thome role and be done with it.

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Mon Oct-05-15 08:33 AM

34. "I might rather have Jim Thome"
In response to Reply # 33

I love Torii, but between playing the same position(s) as about five guys already in a positional log-jam, being expensive, apparently being uninterested in a part-time role (unlike actual HOF-er Jim Thome), and wanting to wait until after his sons' college football seasons to make a decision on playing at all in 2016, it's hard to see a match here.

I hope he retires as a Twin, but if he wants to play in 2016 then I rather it be elsewhere.

But if Jim Thome said he wanted to come off the bench for 200 well-chosen plate appearances against RHP, that'd be worth a roster spot.

This wasn't really your point, granted. But Torii's ambiguity is forcing me into some annoyed eye rolls. I don't really buy the "clubhouse mentor" thing, but he hit pretty well outside of nearly collapsing for about a month and a half, and then rallied to finish the season strong. And he was better in the field than I expected. I'm not really a narrative guy, but I could get behind one where we tell ourselves "remember when Torii Hunter came back for one last season to teach our youngsters how to be awesome and the team almost made the playoffs?"

If he'd just retire, we could get on with that bit of slightly inaccurate mythology and enjoy the next great wave of Twins talent.

--Walleye's Dad

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Oct-05-15 10:02 AM

35. "I can't imagine he'll want a smaller role"
In response to Reply # 34

And it's pretty clear that Hicks/Buxton/Rosario is the OF of the present and future.

------

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Mon Oct-05-15 10:09 AM

36. "Yep, and something needs to be done with Kepler, Arcia, and ..."
In response to Reply # 35

... Adam Brett Walker III is going to require a decision at some point.

Not all of those guys can exist on the same roster, particularly once you throw in Mauer, Kennys Vargas, and Plouffe/Sano.

There's just too much outfield talent to carry a guy who's job is clubhouse leader on roster.

--Walleye's Dad

Walleye
Charter member
15520 posts
Mon Oct-05-15 10:57 AM

37. "Would you package Plouffe or Dozier to unload Nolasco?"
In response to Reply # 31

I think I'd do Plouffe but not Dozier. It'd be nice to imagine a scenario where a team would really spring something useful to get Plouffe, and it's not crazy - but something about him seems more mid-season trade than off-season trade for me. Maybe it's the way he became valuable. Every team has a Trevor Plouffe - a guy whose bat would be a huge asset at short but can't really play short. Move those guys to third and you get a plus(ish) defender with enough bat, voila Trevor Plouffe.

That's the kind of thing that every GM can tell himself will happen in December, and therefore not trade for Trevor Plouffe. But it's the sort of thing that's not actually that common, so teams will trade for Trevor Plouffe in July.

I'd have loved to see him in New York when David Wright was still out and his return was up in the air. They don't want Ricky Nolasco infecting their actually-talented rotation, so omit that part of the suggestion. But maybe Miami? Plouffe and Nolasco for the money and roster space sounds like a loss, but if Sano slides in then I'm not sure it is.

New York is still a decent landing spot for Plouffe - if less likely than this summer. He'd be a great utility guy on a team without a lot of offense, spread across 3rd, 1st, and the corner OFs. Particularly if they don't return Cespedes.

Ditto New York for Brian Dozier. Unless they have somebody stepping in for Daniel Murphy, which is... possible. I don't feel like following the Mets farm system. Losing him would hurt more, since Polanco isn't the prospect Sano is. But I think he's also ready to take over an MLB position.

But that's all independent of the original question. Is it worth giving up an MLB player of valuable to vacate Nolasco's roster space and money?

--Walleye's Dad

Drizzit
6467 posts
Mon Oct-05-15 06:50 PM

38. "my answer was your first sentence"
In response to Reply # 37

dozier has proven himself too valuable to trade, especially for a team that has struggled so much developing middle infielders.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2472568 Previous topic | Next topic